Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-02-27 3:59 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Heavenly feet in my new Hoka's

I finally got a pair of Hoka's, went with the Conquest's. LOVE THEM! Did the 1st run with them this morning. I did cut off the quick laces and install the standard laces.  I did had a very small hot spot near the end of the run on the right heel, but that's typical for me and will go away as the shoe loosens up and the fit adjusts to my foot. Found I needed to have a slight more forward lean to be ideal with the lower 4mm drop. Didn't notice the 2 oz. increase in weight over my K-Swiss Blade Light Run's. These are me my new training shoe going forward and will find a pair of Clifton's to race in on eBay later.

2015-02-27 4:32 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Heavenly feet in my new Hoka's

Your feet will thank you after your 5+ mile runs.  I have the Cliftons and was using the Saucony Ride series.  The Saucony's were comfy but my feet felt better in the Cliftons both during and after longer runs. 

2015-02-28 7:08 AM

User image

Why did you make the switch?   I almost bought a pair 3 months ago

2015-02-28 7:15 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

X2, I've thought about trying a pair
2015-02-28 8:25 AM
in reply to: jgs733

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by jgs733

I have been running in Hokas for over two years now.  For me they were a lifesaver as far as my running was concerned.  I was dealing with a bunch of foot/achilles/calf issues that doctors and every other shoe couldn't solve.  I was "this" close to giving up on long distance running.  Heard about Hokas and thought I'd give them a try.  All my issues went away and I have been running injury and pain free ever since.

2015-02-28 8:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

I have been running in Hokas for over two years now.  For me they were a lifesaver as far as my running was concerned.  I was dealing with a bunch of foot/achilles/calf issues that doctors and every other shoe couldn't solve.  I was "this" close to giving up on long distance running.  Heard about Hokas and thought I'd give them a try.  All my issues went away and I have been running injury and pain free ever since.

Got older, now 20lbs over ideal race weight, and my feet are a lot less forgiving these days, I was having a lot of foot soreness issues then I developed Morton's Neuroma in my right foot.  Decided I needed a change and to try out the max cushioning world.  I don't have a LRS around me that sells Hoka's so I tried on a pair of Clifton's and Bondi's (3) and they felt nice except I did NOT (edit) like how the Bondi's felt running, the felt more like a stability shoe to me and don't need that. I read how the Clifton's are only good for 200-300 miles (saw a pix of a 200 mile shoe next to a new), so I decided to go with the Conquest and forgo some cushioning and weight for now.  Like I said though, these feel great and I do recall the Clifton's feel so those will come later.  My only hesitation was going from a 10& 12mm drop shoes to a 4mm drop but not feeling any affects from it today.

Oh, I used one of the online running store websites that has a great shoe comparison page, forget what it is now.  You type in what you are wearing now and what you are interested in and it shows you how the new shoe should fit (graphics) and feel like.

eBay has a quite a few of Hoka's on there that are very low mileage store returns.  You can pick up Conquests & Clifton's for $75-80 +8 shipping from one such store.  I picked up my pair for $59 from an individual!

Edited by Donto 2015-02-28 8:43 AM

2015-02-28 8:50 AM
in reply to: #5096728

User image

I had thought about trying a pair. I have Newton Kismets but I feel like the toe box/front of the shoe is a little on the loose side. They treat me well, but I'm due for a new pair and am wondering if I should try the Hokas. Issue is I'm a size 14 narrow.
2015-02-28 12:48 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

I have Achllies T in both and some other little problems. Strecthing amd rolling keep it at bay but I still feel it. I've been wondering if Hoka s would be the final solution. Running shop I go to has been recommending them to me for awhile now. What I'd really like to do is get them for LC stuff and a regular shoe for short distances.
2015-02-28 4:50 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Donto Oh, I used one of the online running store websites that has a great shoe comparison page, forget what it is now.  You type in what you are wearing now and what you are interested in and it shows you how the new shoe should fit (graphics) and feel like.

Runningwarehouse.com is the site with the shoe comparison tool.  Click on the little blue/green shoe off to the right next to the "Make Selection dropbox on a shoe page like this one.

2015-02-28 6:59 PM

User image

I finally bought a pair a few weeks back (Stinson Lite) and am loving them. There was a bit too much side to side movement for me but after adding my Superfeet inserts they have become amazing. Running Warehouse had one pair of Stinsons for $95 instead of the normal $160... I think it's b/c they are ugly. I think I ended up paying around $90 with shipping after a discount. I am amazed at how much better my legs feel after a long run. I tried running in my old Saucony Guide 7's and it almost felt like running barefoot on concrete.
2015-02-28 7:15 PM
in reply to: djmikula

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by djmikula I had thought about trying a pair. I have Newton Kismets but I feel like the toe box/front of the shoe is a little on the loose side. They treat me well, but I'm due for a new pair and am wondering if I should try the Hokas. Issue is I'm a size 14 narrow.
Is you have an ebay account, you can search on "Hoka one one size 14" and click the "Follow this search" and eBay will ping you with emails whenever something is posted for sale.

Hoka shoes are on the narrow side, that's one of the main complaints about them.

2015-02-28 7:22 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I have Achllies T in both and some other little problems. Strecthing amd rolling keep it at bay but I still feel it. I've been wondering if Hoka s would be the final solution. Running shop I go to has been recommending them to me for awhile now. What I'd really like to do is get them for LC stuff and a regular shoe for short distances.
Today is the day after my run in them and that run was my longest in awhile (because the just felt so good!).  I have zero calf soreness or tightness which is what I was always fighting before (foam rolling and The Stick).  Also had zero issues today on the bike trainer, usually after a "long" run day I will feel my calf's when on the bike and sometimes get spasms.

Don't know if its coincidence or what but I'm hoping my legs keep feeling this good after runs.

2015-02-28 7:29 PM

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
just bought a pair online because of this post... I've been looking at them the past year and hoping they are worth the hype.. looking forward to getting them
2015-02-28 8:07 PM
in reply to: zombie2212

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
I have made the switch as well to Hokas for my long runs. The idea was that hopefully the extra cushioning would mean for longer runs I could actually run longer, with less fatigue from the pain. So far, so good. I feel better both during and after my long runs since switching.
2015-02-28 8:10 PM
in reply to: zombie2212

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
I just bought 3 pairs from running warehouse to see which ones I liked best. Free shipping and returns made that easy. I kept the cliftons and shipped back the conquest and bondi 3. I almost kept the conquest as well. After two runs including an 11 miler today I absolutely love the Cliftons. Fantastic shoes. Body is much less fatigued wearing these.
2015-03-01 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I do ALL my running in Hokas now.  Every other shoe feels like I'm running on no cushioning.

2015-03-01 11:06 PM

User image

After reading all this I *must* try some as well!
Will be the next pair I try for sure.
2015-03-02 11:02 AM
in reply to: knuta99

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I was very hesitant to try these but after talking to so many people who loved them  I gave it a shot.  I've now got almost 300 miles on a pair of Cliftons and have loved them.  The amount of general soreness I have during and after a run is a fraction of what it was.  I do prefer a little more drop in a shoe but have had no issues.

They just came out with a lightweight trail shoe (Challenger ATR) that is next on the list.  Lastly, I have heard that the Cliftons wear rapidly but mine seem to be holding up fine.  

2015-03-02 11:56 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Denver, CO

I have 2 pairs of Bondi 2's that I adore.  I have a lot of back problems and I have no back pain at all now that I'm wearing them.  I did start having some knee issues after increasing my mileage.  I started PT and discovered that my ankles and hips wobble all over the place.  I just got a pair of Constants that have more stability in them and plan to try switching those and the Bondis periodically.  I'm also doing PT to address the balance stuff.  Hopefully between the two, the knee pain won't come back.

2015-03-02 12:34 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by popsracer

I was very hesitant to try these but after talking to so many people who loved them  I gave it a shot.  I've now got almost 300 miles on a pair of Cliftons and have loved them.  The amount of general soreness I have during and after a run is a fraction of what it was.  I do prefer a little more drop in a shoe but have had no issues.

They just came out with a lightweight trail shoe (Challenger ATR) that is next on the list.  Lastly, I have heard that the Cliftons wear rapidly but mine seem to be holding up fine.  

When I was researching Hoka's I found a runner review of them (can't find it now) where after 200 miles he put the shoes next to a new pair. It was very apparent that the sole material lost it's rebound ability, it was lower in the forefoot and heel and bulging out off to the side, IIRC the drop went from 4mm to darn close to 0 also.  He only recommended it for low mileage short runs/races/intervals and not as a high mileage training shoe.

2015-03-03 8:59 AM

User image

Pro

Loving mine. I picked up the Huaka and Tarmac. I rotate them with my Brooks Ghosts. I swear they make my shins happier.

2015-03-03 10:59 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Extreme Veteran
I really want to love my Hokas, but they give me an awful burning feeling on the bottom of my right foot when I wear them for long runs. So I'm wearing them on my 4-5 mile runs instead, hoping the hot spot will disappear. I'm waiting!!!
2015-03-03 11:11 AM

User image

I had *almost* resigned myself to being strictly an aqua-biker until my coach encouraged me to try the Hokas. I have very flat feet and had strained my PTT and was really a mess. Now they are all I run in! Currently, I rotate between the Stinson Tarmacs and Kailua Tarmacs. I wear all my old Asics as my walking about shoes!

2015-03-03 1:21 PM

User image

Originally posted by Donto

Today is the day after my run in them and that run was my longest in awhile (because the just felt so good!).  I have zero calf soreness or tightness which is what I was always fighting before (foam rolling and The Stick).  Also had zero issues today on the bike trainer, usually after a "long" run day I will feel my calf's when on the bike and sometimes get spasms.

Don't know if its coincidence or what but I'm hoping my legs keep feeling this good after runs.

Would you mind keeping the updates coming on your transition with them.   I'd like to hear how they feel after a few more runs.  Now I'm back to thinking about a pair.

2015-03-03 1:23 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by popsracer

When I was researching Hoka's I found a runner review of them (can't find it now) where after 200 miles he put the shoes next to a new pair. It was very apparent that the sole material lost it's rebound ability, it was lower in the forefoot and heel and bulging out off to the side, IIRC the drop went from 4mm to darn close to 0 also.  He only recommended it for low mileage short runs/races/intervals and not as a high mileage training shoe.

I will have to recheck them.  I was referring to the tread wear and didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the rest of the shoe.  I have a brand new pair that was waiting for the originals to retire so I can do a comparison.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heavenly feet in my new Hoka's Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Hoka's are on sale

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 1102 Posts: 3

2014-01-10 2:21 PM tigers75

New old study on foot strike

Started by Experior
Views: 1328 Posts: 16

2011-12-13 7:09 AM Experior

new shoes any my feet are killing me.

Started by TriKyle
Views: 1409 Posts: 11

2008-05-09 12:54 PM ranger5oh

New Illinois Bicycle 3 Feet Law

Started by CKinsey
Views: 2067 Posts: 19

2008-05-08 3:41 PM Hot Joe

abrasions/cuts at the back of the feet 3 inches above the heel of the foot

Started by steven
Views: 1129 Posts: 4

2004-05-06 10:30 PM evrunning
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 10, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I will describe the more common running foot injuries and discuss contributing risk factors as well as treatments and corrections for prevention.

date : December 18, 2012
comments : 0
I expected to hurt after the marathon, and I did but there was nothing that I was immediately alarmed about. Since then, the foot pain that popped up after the marathon has not really gone away.
date : September 21, 2012
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : August 24, 2009
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.
date : February 11, 2009
I have a pain on the far left side of my left foot, all the way to the left and a little in front of the heel. It hurts after I run for 45 minutes or so. It hurts pretty badly for the next 48 hours.

date : May 12, 2008
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.
date : August 7, 2007
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.