General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nose Plug for swim - Is it really so "bad"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-28 3:01 PM

User image

Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: Nose Plug for swim - Is it really so "bad"?
There is probably no " right" answer, but is it really so "bad" to depend on nose plugs for training in pool and racing when in the open water?

Is it less efficient using only your mouth for both exhaling and inhaling (with nose plug), rather than exhaling thru your nose and inhaling thru your mouth and nose (without nose plug)?

I've tried without it, and when inhaling, I inevitably get water into my sinuses and when that happens, the effects are so uncomfortable, that I usually need to turn over onto my back to recover, for a long period of time.

Marathon swimmers, those folks who swim the English Channel and those ridiculous distances all use nose plugs, so it can't be that bad can it?

For my first ever sprint Tri in the open water (last year) I used the nose plug and felt ok, but am envious of those without nose plugs.

Your thoughts?

Edited by WhiteCatzs 2015-02-28 3:07 PM

2015-02-28 5:03 PM
in reply to: WhiteCatzs

Subject: RE: Nose Plug for swim - Is it really so "bad"?
Originally posted by WhiteCatzs

There is probably no " right" answer, but is it really so "bad" to depend on nose plugs for training in pool and racing when in the open water?

Is it less efficient using only your mouth for both exhaling and inhaling (with nose plug), rather than exhaling thru your nose and inhaling thru your mouth and nose (without nose plug)?

I've tried without it, and when inhaling, I inevitably get water into my sinuses and when that happens, the effects are so uncomfortable, that I usually need to turn over onto my back to recover, for a long period of time.

Marathon swimmers, those folks who swim the English Channel and those ridiculous distances all use nose plugs, so it can't be that bad can it?

For my first ever sprint Tri in the open water (last year) I used the nose plug and felt ok, but am envious of those without nose plugs.

Your thoughts?

Yes, it really is.
2015-02-28 5:46 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I'm no expert but if it works for you and is the difference between your getting in the pool and swimming or not then go right ahead and use it.
2015-02-28 6:32 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Originally posted by StaceyK

I'm no expert but if it works for you and is the difference between your getting in the pool and swimming or not then go right ahead and use it.

X2
2015-02-28 6:43 PM

User image

I use them when I'm swimming in a pool. Somehow the chlorine does something to my nose and I end up sneezing off and on for the next day if I don't wear them.
2015-02-28 7:17 PM

User image

A couple people on my swim team wear nose plugs at least some of the time. My biggest concern is what happens if the noseplug falls off mid race? As long as you have thought about that question I think you're ok.

2015-02-28 8:17 PM
in reply to: #5096880

User image

, North Carolina
I had the same problem. I was constantly getting water in my nose. When I did the first total immersion drills I had to have it because I couldn't deal with the water. But I did a very short open water swim and found out that I couldn't rely on the nose clip staying on. So I didn't what I could to learn to not use it. I still have water up the nose problems if I'm not freestyle swimming(diving, playing w/ kids, floating on my back). I think that learning to exhale through your nose under water is key.

But, ultimately whatever gets you in the water and gets you comfortable is going to be the best.
2015-07-20 9:25 PM

User image

Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: RE: Nose Plug for swim - Is it really so "bad"? UPDATED
In case anybody cares, I'm happy to report that I no longer use the nose plug in openwater !! yay !!
Oddly enough, I still need it in the pool. maybe this is because of the burning sensation in my sinuses from the chlorine in the pool.

I'm taking in way more air now in the openwater without the plugs, what a fantastic breakthrough this has been.
2015-07-21 7:47 AM
in reply to: #5096926

Something in our local Y pool makes me sneeze all day if I don't wear one. Saline sprays, net pots, etc don't help. Nose plugs do, so I use them there. I don't need them at other pools, lakes, the ocean and I haven't noticed any hindrance with my training between using them at the Y and not using them elsewhere.
2015-07-21 7:49 AM
in reply to: #5130090

I use nose clips...are we talking about the same thing?
2015-07-21 8:54 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by WhiteCatzs There is probably no " right" answer, but is it really so "bad" to depend on nose plugs for training in pool and racing when in the open water?

Yes it is so bad.

One of the first "fundamentals" taught in beginning swimming classes is how to "blow bubbles" -  stated another way, how to deal with the fact that we are land creatures trying to exist in an aquatic environment.  When I see someone with a nose clip (or grabbing their nose when they jump in the water for that matter), my first thought is, "there is a person that never learned the fundamentals of swimming."  My next thought is, "What else did they fail to learn?"  Generally it only takes a few moments to see they missed out on a good number of fundamentals as they thrash across the pool, trying to beat the water into submission.

2015-07-21 9:29 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by WhiteCatzs There is probably no " right" answer, but is it really so "bad" to depend on nose plugs for training in pool and racing when in the open water?

Yes it is so bad.

One of the first "fundamentals" taught in beginning swimming classes is how to "blow bubbles" -  stated another way, how to deal with the fact that we are land creatures trying to exist in an aquatic environment.  When I see someone with a nose clip (or grabbing their nose when they jump in the water for that matter), my first thought is, "there is a person that never learned the fundamentals of swimming."  My next thought is, "What else did they fail to learn?"  Generally it only takes a few moments to see they missed out on a good number of fundamentals as they thrash across the pool, trying to beat the water into submission.

No, It is not so "bad". Just be ready to deal with swimming without it during a race in case it falls off.

MANY people (see comments above and many other posts) - me included - suffer from chlorine sensitivity and don't want to spend our days and nights sneezing and dealing with the burning sensation in our nose and sinuses, so we wear a nose clip in the pool. Simple as that. Water gets into your nose a bit no matter how good one is at "blowing bubbles".
2015-07-21 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Montana
I used to have terrible trouble with burning inside my nose, and sneezing for two days. But, thankfully, I never could get comfortable with a nose clip.

I realized that the true problem was in my form. I learned to rotate a little more on my weak side, and make sure my nose was in the pocket of my underarm on both sides when I take a breath.

2015-07-21 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
I use one because when I don't I end up with sinus infections. So I use it. I have had it come off in a race, not a big deal as I can swim without it. Just don't like to.
2015-07-21 11:35 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

If wearing a nose plug keeps you in the pool training, then great, no problem.

However long-term I would suggest that you work on being able to swim without it.    

Good luck.

Mark

2015-07-21 11:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Yes it is so bad.

Listen to Scott.  They guy's very knowledgeable about swimming.

Swimming is like most skills.  It's mastered by learning a series of different component skills that build on each other.  This is what drills are.  If you want to excel at swimming, take the time to start with the basics, then gradually learn more advanced skills until you're as good as you wish to be.

ETA:  Just to clarify, it's not that using a nose clip is "bad".  It's that it's indicative of someone who hasn't yet learned some of the basics, so you're likely swimming well beneath your potential.

Edited by TriMyBest 2015-07-21 11:45 AM

2015-07-21 1:50 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by bigevilgrape

A couple people on my swim team wear nose plugs at least some of the time. My biggest concern is what happens if the noseplug falls off mid race? As long as you have thought about that question I think you're ok.

I tuck a second one in my wetsuit leg.
2015-07-21 4:02 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Yes it is so bad.

Swimming is like most skills.  It's mastered by learning a series of different component skills that build on each other.  This is what drills are.  If you want to excel at swimming, take the time to start with the basics, then gradually learn more advanced skills until you're as good as you wish to be.

ETA:  Just to clarify, it's not that using a nose clip is "bad".  It's that it's indicative of someone who hasn't yet learned some of the basics, so you're likely swimming well beneath your potential.

Depends on the person
2015-07-21 4:03 PM
in reply to: 0

Yes it is so bad.

Depends on the person (edit: I realize she is probably swimming back)

Edited by Sidney Porter 2015-07-21 4:05 PM

(000802aa2f491184cdbe0a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
000802aa2f491184cdbe0a.jpg (86KB - 14 downloads)
2015-07-21 4:35 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Chicago, Colorado
Yes, she most likely is swimming back. And really the nose plug for backstroke is to enable to swimmers to kick underwater for the full 15 meters allowed in swimming while not running out of air. In a triathlon, you aren't staying underwater for really any length of time that would require the use of a nose plug.

I second the opinion of the poster who said they didn't learn to swim properly. I cringe every time I see someone jump into a pool and immediately grab their nose. Its not that hard. Learn the proper technique.
2015-07-21 4:39 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

Yes it is so bad.

Depends on the person (edit: I realize she is probably swimming back)

Yes, she probably is.    Apples and oranges compared to the situation described by the OP.

2015-07-21 7:22 PM

User image

three words.... "brain eating amoebas"

I"ll never judge anyone using nose plugs in fresh water because of those fun little guys.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nose Plug for swim - Is it really so "bad"? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nose clip/nose plug recommendation please

Started by mrheathen
Views: 1387 Posts: 11

2012-03-23 7:29 AM EKH

Reasons to not use nose plug for swimming

Started by spoonybard
Views: 12771 Posts: 15

2009-10-03 8:49 AM Rogillio

to nose plug or not to nose plug...that is the question

Started by up4challenges
Views: 2896 Posts: 16

2015-02-28 8:23 PM Nick B

Really runny nose after swimming?

Started by joscon
Views: 9910 Posts: 20

2005-02-24 3:46 PM nikki

Nose Plugs / Clips

Started by Y-NOT-TRI
Views: 1310 Posts: 5

2004-01-24 3:07 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
comments : 0
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.