General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do Tri Bars need to be “fitted” to a road bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-28 8:40 PM

User image

Subject: Do Tri Bars need to be “fitted” to a road bike?
Hi,

I have a Scott Speedster S50, and I am planning on getting a bike fit for it with triathlon in mind some time before an upcoming race. But I am thinking about getting tri bars for it as well. Do they need to be put on the bike at the same time it’s being fitted? Or are they more generic?

Also what are some good tri bars for a beginner-intermediate. I am 6ft guy with average to long arm length.

Thanks,
Justice P

2015-02-28 9:11 PM
in reply to: Justice

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Do Tri Bars need to be “fitted” to a road bike?
Originally posted by Justice

Hi,

I have a Scott Speedster S50, and I am planning on getting a bike fit for it with triathlon in mind some time before an upcoming race. But I am thinking about getting tri bars for it as well. Do they need to be put on the bike at the same time it’s being fitted? Or are they more generic?

Also what are some good tri bars for a beginner-intermediate. I am 6ft guy with average to long arm length.

Thanks,
Justice P

If your goal is to use the road bike with aerobars for triathlon, they yes, get fitted with aerobars. I rode my road bike for the last 5 years with aerobars, I got a Retul fit in 2013 with Profile Design T1+ aerobars. If you want the optimal TT position on a road bike + aerobars this might require a FF seatpost (puts your seat closer to the front) and also may require a new stem. I ended up with both but had a pretty good position on the road bike. I just bought my first TT bike last month.

I was fitted on an adjustable fit bike then got on my road bike with aerobars. A good fit sets up the optimal dimensions regardless of the bike. You may find that the geometry of your bike with aerobars may not be the best but it's good to get that out of the way up front. Your fitter may have aerobars at his shop that you can try out before you purchase them.

Here's a link to PF bars they have quite a good selection. I was on a tight budget so I went with the T1+ aluminum. I'm 6'-2" with longer legs/shorter torso and they were just fine.

http://www.profile-design.com/product/aerobars/
2015-02-28 9:29 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

I think it would be ideal, but I fiddled with mine a bit myself and it seems ok.

When I bought my road bike last year, the fit done was terrible and it took me a couple of months before I splurged for a Retul fit. It was worth the money, but I feel there is also satisfaction researching and fiddling with it yourself and asking riding friends etc.

At the start of this year I bought some Profile t2 aerobars and set them up with this guide here. http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/aero-on-a-budget-transform...

I have three more races this season and then will pull them off for winter... And I have to decide if I will fork out for a TT bike (I see tri in my future for a while yet!), or if I will just set my roady up as close to a TT as possible, in which case I would get another fit.
2015-03-01 4:39 AM
in reply to: Justice

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
If you're getting fit, I would do it with the aerobars - however, IME, while it will work for some, don't try to make your road bike a tribike. Instead, get a good road fit and add a set of aerobars (typically shorty, ITU style) to an already solid road position. Then you have a bike with three solid positions that will still handle as intended.

Shane
2015-03-02 3:26 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Thanks for the advice. I will fit the aero-bars when I get my bike fit.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do Tri Bars need to be “fitted” to a road bike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fitting Aero Bars on a Road Bike

Started by mcommend
Views: 4169 Posts: 11

2011-03-21 8:27 PM tri808

tri bike fit compared to road bike fit

Started by runspingirl
Views: 4732 Posts: 11

2011-02-18 3:38 PM JeffY

Tri bike fit vs Road bike fit

Started by DJones107
Views: 1467 Posts: 6

2010-10-05 7:46 AM DJones107

Set up road bike fit like a tri bike fit

Started by jsiegs
Views: 3340 Posts: 16

2010-08-23 8:45 PM audiojan

Switching road bars on road bike to tri bars

Started by kevmk81
Views: 1652 Posts: 9

2008-12-08 5:24 PM Freeswimmingfish
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : March 24, 2011
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?
date : January 8, 2010
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
comments : 0
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.