General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 10th Overall and Still Don't Place in AG?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-03-02 9:13 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: 10th Overall and Still Don't Place in AG??
Originally posted by Left Brain

I wouldn't worry too much about your placing.  You could find a sprint race where 1:13 will be on the overall podium (depending on what the distance was in your race)......conversely, you couldn't crack the top 500 at AG Nationals with a 1:13.   AG racing is about personal achievement.....unless you are on the REALLY pointy end, your place doesn't mean much to anyone but you.   Even at the pointy end, in AG racing, it mostly means you will be entitled to spend more on your ambitions.

Have fun with it.

I'm sure you mean well LB, but your overall methods of delivery are a bit....interesting?

i.e.; "Don't worry about missing your goal by such a close margin, because when you look at it, your goal is actually crap compared to the really good athletes..."

2015-03-02 9:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar

I wouldn't worry too much about your placing.  You could find a sprint race where 1:13 will be on the overall podium (depending on what the distance was in your race)......conversely, you couldn't crack the top 500 at AG Nationals with a 1:13.   AG racing is about personal achievement.....unless you are on the REALLY pointy end, your place doesn't mean much to anyone but you.   Even at the pointy end, in AG racing, it mostly means you will be entitled to spend more on your ambitions.

Have fun with it.

I'm sure you mean well LB, but your overall methods of delivery are a bit....interesting? i.e.; "Don't worry about missing your goal by such a close margin, because when you look at it, your goal is actually crap compared to the really good athletes..."

I can see how you got that, but that's not how I meant it.  Your goals shouldn't have anything to do with place.....because your time is all that really matters.  People get wrapped up in what place they finished and it causes many of them to get demoralized to the point where they think they are not improving or can't reach their goals....then they quit.  Unless you are at the really pointy end, your place is absolutely irrelevant......or it should be IMO.  As I said, you can find a race that you can win with your time.....or you can't find one where your time will get you your arse handed to you.  Neither is important because all that really matters in your time against yourself.

30 years ago I ran with some pretty fast company......and some of them decided that since they/we were winning local races that they could branch out to the next level.  No way.  The bad part of that story is that none of them are involved in triathlon at any level anymore.....and they haven't been for many, many years.  The truth is, if you judge success by where you place the rate of failure is right at 100% as you improve and race against faster and faster folks, so why judge it that way?

Race yourself.  That's what keeps you going, not how you stack  up to others.  I would like to see more people stay active in triathlon, and help grow the sport.  As I said, the burnout race is huge.....part of that is the realization that the top end, or even AG podiums, are pretty elusive....and even unattainable for VAST majority of the folks participating.

Enjoy the participation and personal bests.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-03-02 9:35 AM
2015-03-02 9:50 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Have fun with it.

I'm sure you mean well LB, but your overall methods of delivery are a bit....interesting? i.e.; "Don't worry about missing your goal by such a close margin, because when you look at it, your goal is actually crap compared to the really good athletes..."

I can see how you got that, but that's not how I meant it.  Your goals shouldn't have anything to do with place.....because your time is all that really matters.  People get wrapped up in what place they finished and it causes many of them to get demoralized to the point where they think they are not improving or can't reach their goals....then they quit.  Unless you are at the really pointy end, your place is absolutely irrelevant......or it should be IMO.  As I said, you can find a race that you can win with your time.....or you can't find one where your time will get you your arse handed to you.  Neither is important because all that really matters in your time against yourself.

30 years ago I ran with some pretty fast company......and some of them decided that since they/we were winning local races that they could branch out to the next level.  No way.  The bad part of that story is that none of them are involved in triathlon at any level anymore.....and they haven't been for many, many years.  The truth is, if you judge success by where you place the rate of failure is right at 100% as you improve and race against faster and faster folks, so why judge it that way?

Race yourself.  That's what keeps you going, not how you stack  up to others.  I would like to see more people stay active in triathlon, and help grow the sport.  As I said, the burnout race is huge.....part of that is the realization that the top end, or even AG podiums, are pretty elusive....and even unattainable for VAST majority of the folks participating.

I realize (and knew) it wasn't meant to be derogatory, but for me it seams that a combination of place (maybe not in a small sampling group such as AG, but overall taking into account the size of the race) and time are the best ways to grade performance. Now, this theory is by someone who hasn't even struck the one year mark in tris, but it's what I have seen.

The problem with time and PRs is two fold; one is the variability of distance and two is the affect that conditions have on the sport. In running and pool swimming, those two are pretty well maintained in 90% of races (obviously hilly courses and wind have some affect on running but it's not huge). But in tris, especially the bike, they are monstrous, or maybe they just affect me more since I'm new on the bike. Here's an example, yesterday on a sprint triathlon, my average speed on the bike for a 13.8 mile bike was 21.0 mph. This morning (the day after a race) I rode 40 miles and my average pace was 21.2 mph. The roads at the triathlon were terrible (huge rolling resistance) but that was really it for the difference. That's crazy to me. One little change like that would never sway results in running or swimming. Add that to the variability of distance and PR's just don't work for me.

Now, in my running days, I knew that I would typically be in the top 2-3% of just about any size race. So I could use that to gauge my general outcome, and it was typically spot on. So if I ran a race of 100 people, I'd probably podium OA, if it was 1,000 people I'd be in the top 20-30 and for big races of 15,000 people I'd be in the top couple hundred.

In moving to triathlon, my first goal is to get to that same level at least then hopefully surpass it. My first tri I finished in the top 20%, the second an third in the top 10 and this one in the top 6%, so I'm using that to grade myself, right or wrong. I feel that when I can start finishing regularly in the top 2-3, I'll be at least back to where I was running, which got me on the AG podium regularly. Just my current thoughts on the matter. Oh, and I want some bling to add the the collection in my shed dammit.
2015-03-02 9:51 AM

User image

Pro

Let me try it this way......your 1:13 sprint time is actually an amazing accomplishment. You are absolutely at the VERY pointy end of fitness for the human population.  That's quite an accomplishment.  I talk to kids every year who want to quit XC because their 18:XX 5K time sucks to them.  They can't even sniff a decent place in their races.  That's crazy.  My advice to them is always to get them to understand what they are doing and how fast they are compared to the rest of us.  I want them to continue that lifestyle and their running "careers".  It's important to keep racing in perspective........almost nobody can do it when compared to the general population.

2015-03-02 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
One of my local competitors has been working on his running and at age 46 he ran a 5K last month in 17:xx. Another guy in my local crowd went 9:xx in a couple IM's qualified for Kona etc. He's 46 as well. Now when they both don't show up in local tri's I have a chance to AG podium IF nobody from out of town shows up.....

Six years ago I couldn't swim 50 yards, run a mile and was at 40% body fat.

I'm much happier now and I was able to keep up with my kids at an amusement/water park all day and night AFTER I rode a Century that morning in 105 deg F heat.

It's all perspective....
2015-03-02 10:33 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by reecealan . It's all perspective....

That's exactly right.....and it's everything.

I watch kids quit swimming because their 1:00 100 time isn't even in the game where they are playing.  They get beat by 12 and 13 year olds.  THEY SWIM A ONE MINUTE 100!!  It's an absolutely mind boggling accomplishment for 99.999% of the population.  The problem is, someone once told them, when they were swimming that 1:10 100 at age 10, that they were going to the Olympics, or going to college on a scholarship, or some other equally ridiculous comment.....and they set their sights there.  Imagine quitting swimming because all you could muster is a 1:00 in the 100.  It happens over and over again.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-03-02 10:33 AM

2015-03-02 10:33 AM
in reply to: 3mar

Master
Northern IL

Have fun with it.

I realize (and knew) it wasn't meant to be derogatory, but for me it seams that a combination of place (maybe not in a small sampling group such as AG, but overall taking into account the size of the race) and time are the best ways to grade performance. Now, this theory is by someone who hasn't even struck the one year mark in tris, but it's what I have seen. The problem with time and PRs is two fold; one is the variability of distance and two is the affect that conditions have on the sport. In running and pool swimming, those two are pretty well maintained in 90% of races (obviously hilly courses and wind have some affect on running but it's not huge). But in tris, especially the bike, they are monstrous, or maybe they just affect me more since I'm new on the bike. Here's an example, yesterday on a sprint triathlon, my average speed on the bike for a 13.8 mile bike was 21.0 mph. This morning (the day after a race) I rode 40 miles and my average pace was 21.2 mph. The roads at the triathlon were terrible (huge rolling resistance) but that was really it for the difference. That's crazy to me. One little change like that would never sway results in running or swimming. Add that to the variability of distance and PR's just don't work for me. Now, in my running days, I knew that I would typically be in the top 2-3% of just about any size race. So I could use that to gauge my general outcome, and it was typically spot on. So if I ran a race of 100 people, I'd probably podium OA, if it was 1,000 people I'd be in the top 20-30 and for big races of 15,000 people I'd be in the top couple hundred. In moving to triathlon, my first goal is to get to that same level at least then hopefully surpass it. My first tri I finished in the top 20%, the second an third in the top 10 and this one in the top 6%, so I'm using that to grade myself, right or wrong. I feel that when I can start finishing regularly in the top 2-3, I'll be at least back to where I was running, which got me on the AG podium regularly. Just my current thoughts on the matter. Oh, and I want some bling to add the the collection in my shed dammit.

I use the other people to help determine how difficult the course was that day, not for how well I did. Otherwise just a few people can make a notable difference placement, as has been demonstrated already. I do have power on the bike to help with that, but this does help more with the swim & run. How have a few of the guys that did well here done elsewhere? It's not exact, but have found it helpful. And especially with more local races I'll tend to look outside my age group for this as well.

2015-03-02 10:53 AM
in reply to: brigby1

One way to get 'sort-of' objective comparison based performances is to wait a few weeks after the race is over, then head over the USA Triathlon website, where you can get a score compared to your AG for each race. The formula is a bit complex, but based roughly on taking the average score of your fellow AG competitors in the race and normalizing against the best time. While it's far from perfect, it's a way to compare a hard course result vs a easy course result or how you compare in a totally stacked field vs a soft field. 

My best USAT result was my slowest HIM result, because it was a hot, hilly course. My worst USAT result was in a triathlon in a soft field where there were only 1-2 guys to push me, so even at 1stAG/3rd OA, it was a pretty low USAT score (which I expected given my condition for that race.

2015-03-02 12:22 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Maybe I'm unique, but I learned a long time ago and teach ALL my students this:
Competition in it's truest and purest form is the competition within oneself, to always be getting BETTER.
*I should have prefaced that with fact that I AM HIGHLY competitive against others always, but if the root of one's competitiveness is be to better than others, well, then , there's a degree of disappointment at every corner because there's always someone bigger, better, faster, stronger.

I would run circles around my 30y.o. self, and plan to run circles around my 40 y.o. self when I turn 50. Like the earlier post said...all about perspective.

THAT SAID....I BETTER PODIUM in my duathlon in a few weeks

Edited by TJHammer 2015-03-02 12:22 PM
2015-03-02 12:55 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TJHammer Maybe I'm unique, but I learned a long time ago and teach ALL my students this: Competition in it's truest and purest form is the competition within oneself, to always be getting BETTER. *I should have prefaced that with fact that I AM HIGHLY competitive against others always, but if the root of one's competitiveness is be to better than others, well, then , there's a degree of disappointment at every corner because there's always someone bigger, better, faster, stronger. I would run circles around my 30y.o. self, and plan to run circles around my 40 y.o. self when I turn 50. Like the earlier post said...all about perspective. THAT SAID....I BETTER PODIUM in my duathlon in a few weeks

Many of the posts are actually saying that, to look at getting better. The question is in how to determine that as it's not necessarily just placing higher or a better time.

2015-03-02 1:00 PM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by 3mar Just a rant: but since my Triathlon career has started last summer, placing in my age group continues to elude me. It was automatic in running, but I just can't seem to get one. This morning I did a sprint and finished in 1:13 and 10th overall out of 168 and I still ended up 4th in my AG. Seriously, what the heck?!?! What's it going to take to get some bling? These finisher's medals are mocking me.

I feel your pain.  One of my best executed races last year landed me 9th overall (if you exclude the Pros and the Elites) but 4th in my AG.

I'm in the male 40 to 44 AG and 6 of the top 10 age group racers that day were 40 or older.

2015-03-02 1:03 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
The official results were just posted and they didn't exclude the OA winners from the AG awards. I've never seen that in running. The OA are always removed. Is that not the MO in triathlon? That's kind of weird, so when you win OA, do you go up for awards twice?

Two of the OA winners were in my AG, so if they were excluded, I would have been 2nd.

Edited by 3mar 2015-03-02 1:04 PM
2015-03-02 1:15 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar The official results were just posted and they didn't exclude the OA winners from the AG awards. I've never seen that in running. The OA are always removed. Is that not the MO in triathlon? That's kind of weird, so when you win OA, do you go up for awards twice? Two of the OA winners were in my AG, so if they were excluded, I would have been 2nd.

It depends on the race.  It's done both ways.  In fact, at AG Nationals OA winners are not removed from AG standings, and yes, you go up twice. (THREE times to the podium if you also place in the "masters" division. )  Furthermore, in some races, like the AG ITU race in Chicago last year, they didn't even recognize OA winners.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-03-02 1:18 PM
2015-03-02 1:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I really do wish that triathlon had a category system like road racing.

2015-03-02 1:22 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by msteiner

I really do wish that triathlon had a category system like road racing.

That would be excellent.....but it would cut down on the awards....and we can't have that.

2015-03-02 1:42 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by 3mar The official results were just posted and they didn't exclude the OA winners from the AG awards. I've never seen that in running. The OA are always removed. Is that not the MO in triathlon? That's kind of weird, so when you win OA, do you go up for awards twice? Two of the OA winners were in my AG, so if they were excluded, I would have been 2nd.

It depends on the race.  It's done both ways.  In fact, at AG Nationals OA winners are not removed from AG standings, and yes, you go up twice. (THREE times to the podium if you also place in the "masters" division. )  Furthermore, in some races, like the AG ITU race in Chicago last year, they didn't even recognize OA winners.

Lame....I guess that leaves all the more challenge.

2015-03-02 1:51 PM

User image

Seattle

Personally, I would care more about how I do overall  anyway. If I'm not in the top 3 overall, I don't really consider it a podium.  To me, that is all that really matters in a particular, local race. If you care about how you stack up to other people in your age group, I'm a huge fan of the USATF age grade calculators http://www.usatf.org/statistics/calculators/agegrading/ 

Is this similar to what USAT does? 

2015-03-02 2:04 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by 3mar Just a rant: but since my Triathlon career has started last summer, placing in my age group continues to elude me. It was automatic in running, but I just can't seem to get one. This morning I did a sprint and finished in 1:13 and 10th overall out of 168 and I still ended up 4th in my AG. Seriously, what the heck?!?! What's it going to take to get some bling? These finisher's medals are mocking me.

I say keep on working. Nothing wrong with wanting to win. At this stage in my racing career I doubt I'll ever place OA, but I very much enjoy placing in my AG. Good news is, it's a bit easier as I get older. 

2015-03-02 2:46 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TJHammer Maybe I'm unique, but I learned a long time ago and teach ALL my students this: Competition in it's truest and purest form is the competition within oneself, to always be getting BETTER. *I should have prefaced that with fact that I AM HIGHLY competitive against others always, but if the root of one's competitiveness is be to better than others, well, then , there's a degree of disappointment at every corner because there's always someone bigger, better, faster, stronger. I would run circles around my 30y.o. self, and plan to run circles around my 40 y.o. self when I turn 50. Like the earlier post said...all about perspective. THAT SAID....I BETTER PODIUM in my duathlon in a few weeks

Many of the posts are actually saying that, to look at getting better. The question is in how to determine that as it's not necessarily just placing higher or a better time.

The USAT score that I mentioned above is a decent way to score yourself across AGs and courses.

2015-03-02 3:04 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I haven't thoroughly read all the replies, so I may be repeating something that was already said... Anywho...

I've been that "on the cusp" person. It can be a frustrating place to be. Years ago when I was at the top of my game, it was that "almost there" in the OA. Yeah, I was pretty fast, and when the big guns showed up I was the guy that was right behind them -- just out of the recognition. Fortunately I had a day job to depend on.

I still get AG placings in the few races I do, but really, I don't even pay attention to that when the race is on. I'm competing with whomever is around me, regardless of the number on their calf. And I judge my race by how I executed, and how spent I am at the finish, and if I'm in the medals, yahoo, and if not, I had a great time anyway. Fortunately I still have that day job...

Not saying you can't or shouldn't be disappointed by the "so close you can taste it", but really, who shows up on the day is totally our of your control. Look at the things you CAN control, work those, and let the chips fall where they may.

2015-03-02 6:44 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
mrB,
Noticed the logo, I was planning on doing Black Bear this year, but ended up grabbing a triple package deal, so postponing that plan till 2016. Looks like a fantastic spot and experience. Your thoughts?

Thx for that info Yaz

Edited by TJHammer 2015-03-02 6:44 PM

2015-03-03 1:47 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Harare
My plan is to just wait it out. I'm confident that by the time I'm in the 75+ AG the herd will thin and I'll finally be competitive
2015-03-03 6:05 AM
in reply to: Danielfberlin

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep--The mile (run) is one of my favorite events, though I really lack the speed for it, and I hope to set a world record in it someday--even if I have to live to 100 to do it!
2015-03-03 8:50 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by TJHammer mrB, Noticed the logo, I was planning on doing Black Bear this year, but ended up grabbing a triple package deal, so postponing that plan till 2016. Looks like a fantastic spot and experience. Your thoughts? Thx for that info Yaz

I did the Oly one year, and DNS'd the half 2 years in a row. Third time is a charm! CGI is a great race company and I expect the race to be well organized and extremely challenging.

2015-03-03 10:34 AM

User image

The official results were just posted and they didn't exclude the OA winners from the AG awards. I've never seen that in running. The OA are always removed. Is that not the MO in triathlon? That's kind of weird, so when you win OA, do you go up for awards twice?

Two of the OA winners were in my AG, so if they were excluded, I would have been 2nd.

See, this I don't get-- you wouldn't been 2nd, you still would have been 4th in your AG. But you would have received a medal as if you had gotten 2nd, and this would make you more satisfied somehow?

Your time and your race would still have been the same. It sounds like you had a great race-- that's something to celebrate.

In running it happens both ways, depending on the race. Most races I've been don't exclude the overall winners from the age-group awards.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-03-03 10:38 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 10th Overall and Still Don't Place in AG?? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Took first place overall at my 5k

Started by Bevie
Views: 1081 Posts: 9

2012-10-14 11:28 PM MoniqueGriffith

BT's very own places 2nd overall in Chicago Tri run

Started by TriAya
Views: 1290 Posts: 11

2010-09-01 8:47 PM stuy119

3rd Place AG

Started by mtnbkr
Views: 1015 Posts: 6

2010-06-01 12:17 PM Ershk

My First 5k - 3rd Place in AG!!

Started by TXGreyhoundGuy
Views: 1319 Posts: 14

2008-12-07 10:55 AM tri42

Finally placed in my AG

Started by Longshot
Views: 1240 Posts: 14

2008-11-30 8:09 PM Catwoman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.