General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Timer: Nervous Questions! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-04 3:04 PM

User image

Subject: First Timer: Nervous Questions!
Hello!

I guess I'm a runner, and my name is Emily. I decided after doing the Pittsburgh half marathon last year that I'd do a 15K this spring instead and started swimming for my cross-training days. The lifeguard at the YMCA asked me if I was training for a Triathlon and I laughed. Now, here I am, signed up for my first Olympic distance triathlon in Wisconsin on June 28th! I'm excited! I'm terrified!

My current skill level:
• I know I can swim 1K in about 35 minutes when I vary my strokes. I'm terrible at Freestyle and constantly feel like I'm drowning, but I can do 300 yards of Breaststroke in a row before I switch to the next stroke. I feel like that will get easier—easier than finding the time to take swimming lessons to learn how to do Freestyle AND get my distance up. I also prefer Breaststroke because it allows me to see where I'm going.
• I know I can ride a bicycle 8K, but my training plan starts me at 8 miles. Really, the only reason I couldn't go further was because I wasn't used to the saddle because I hadn't ridden in a while.
• I know I can run a 10K in 62-65 minutes. The course time limit is 90 minutes.

Things I am worried about:

1. I am certainly not fast enough at the swimming portion. I have to swim 1.5K in under 45 minutes. Does this get better if I keep at it?
2. Do you have pointers for not chafing after the swimming portion? We aren't allowed to change out of wet clothes (I have no idea if this is normal).
3. I am nervous to run after the other activities! Will my legs turn to jelly and stop working? The training plan I found doesn't have any days where you do all three activities in a row.

Training Plan Questions:
1. Is it logical to continue running about 10K every weekend for two months to keep my distance up (April 19th is the 15K and June 28th is the Tri)?
2. Is it logical to work up to swimming the full 1.5K on cross-training days and assume it will get faster as I keep repeating this?
3. Is it best to just start up with a 10 week triathlon training plan as soon as my 15K is over and lose the swimming and running momentum I have?

Thanks in advance for your answers/advice/help!

emily

2015-03-04 3:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: First Timer: Nervous Questions!

Hi there.  Welcome to the world of triathlon

1. I am certainly not fast enough at the swimming portion. I have to swim 1.5K in under 45 minutes. Does this get better if I keep at it?

It will certainly get better with practice.  I find with swimming it is better to do more frequent workouts, rather than fewer, longer ones.  Swimming is about technique, so improving this is key.  You could research some drills that would help with this (sorry can't help any further with this - swimming is not my strong point either).

2. Do you have pointers for not chafing after the swimming portion? We aren't allowed to change out of wet clothes (I have no idea if this is normal).

If you are wearing tri shorts you shouldn't experiance any chafing issues.  Time in the saddle will sort out any discomfort.

3. I am nervous to run after the other activities! Will my legs turn to jelly and stop working? The training plan I found doesn't have any days where you do all three activities in a row.

It often feels funny running off the bike.  I think it would be sensible to do some BRICK sessions, evenif it is only a quick 10 minute run after a ride.  Just make sure you don't overdo it by adding too much extra volume to your training program. 

Training Plan Questions: 1. Is it logical to continue running about 10K every weekend for two months to keep my distance up (April 19th is the 15K and June 28th is the Tri)?

Yes, I think so.  If the 15K race is a goal then you will need to keep training for it.  If you are already comfortable with this distance then there is no point cutting back.

2. Is it logical to work up to swimming the full 1.5K on cross-training days and assume it will get faster as I keep repeating this?

Like I said above, to improve your technique it would be better to do more shorter workouts than one long one.  Having said this you do need to build up the distance so you are capable of swimming the 1.5K.

3. Is it best to just start up with a 10 week triathlon training plan as soon as my 15K is over and lose the swimming and running momentum I have? Thanks in advance for your answers/advice/help! emily

Which race is more important?  Will training for the triathlon limit the time you would have spent running?  In terms of the triathlon starting now would be better than waiting.  Building from 8K to 40K on the bike could be done in 10 weeks but I would be starting that process now.  Same with your swimming.

Hope some of this helps and good luck.  Keep posting any questions you have

Edited by tridantri 2015-03-04 3:46 PM
2015-03-04 4:01 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Congrats
Going out for a Olympic first time out is a big step, definitely you need to get in the pool and on the bike quite a bit by the sounds of it 3 swims a week minimum and 4 if you can work it in, swimming is a technique thing and the more you are in the water the better it will get, do not get discouraged with the swimming you will struggle like crazy for awhile but stick to it one day it will all of a sudden be easier and thing will take off from there.
Next seat time in the bike again 3 times a week if you can minimum twice just work on staying in the saddle for a hour and a half right now don't worry about speed for now gaining speed on the bike initially will come pretty quick but to get really strong and really fast takes a good deal of time going from
15 to 18 Mph comes reasonably fast going from 18 to 20+ take a long time and a lots of hard work at least it did for me.
keep running a bit twice a week for right now maybe around 7 to 8K per run you have a good base already, and definitely do some bricks off the bike they don't have to be long just like 10 or twelve minutes after you get off the bike to get used to the feeling and pacing ,invariably you will find that you are running a bit too fast probably.

Good luck I probably would have tried a long sprint myself first but you are far enough out to get ready for it.

Edited by RRH_88 2015-03-04 4:03 PM
2015-03-04 4:02 PM
in reply to: emisaurus

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
My suggestions would be to definitely focus on swimming and cycling. You seem to have the running under control.

As for swimming, I would try to get in a swim workout plan at the pool. Maybe get some lessons on freestyle. The breathing aspect is the most important to get down for endurance improvement. Having a decent stroke will lead to better breathing. Getting in some shorter faster distances and then have a weekly long swim will help a lot. You gradually want to work up to the race distance of approximately a mile.

As for cycling, again this is something that you may need some assistance. Riding with a beginner cycling group or a tri group if you can find one. You'll have to be able to ride well for about 24 miles (40k).

Getting in some bricks later (run off the bike for about 10-15 min) will help you gauge and adjust your legs to get the "jelly" feeling out of your mind and and muscles.

As for your questions:
1. Hoping you are running more than 1 time per week. You'll want to run shorter a few days during the week, and have a long run that works into your plan for the target race date. also you don't want to just start running a 10k, you need to carefully build to that, and since you have 2 races (the 15K and Oly) you will need to work up your distance for the 15K and then recover...then follow a tri plan for the Oly.

2. Like I mentioned above, I'd have a workout plan with shorter faster distances during the week and have a long swim weekly. Working up to the race distance.

3. I think the 10 week tri plan sounds like a good idea. It will give you a break after the 15K and build you back up.
2015-03-04 4:02 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome to BT and the multisport world or...as my former running partner would say...you and your psycho friends...  

Invest in some swimming lessons.  You'll be much better served learning good technique first rather than having to unlearn it.  Learn good technique for front crawl.  It is the fastest swimming stroke because it is the most efficient swimming stroke.  (Geek alert:  "Freestyle" means you can swim any stroke, and most swimmers choose front crawl because it is the fastest.  While rare, there are times you'll see something other than front crawl in a freestyle race.)  You'll find triathletes doing everything from near-perfect front crawl to breastroke to sidestroke to dog paddle to back stroke during the race, and maybe one competitor does all of them.  

45 minutes to complete the 1500 meters is a little faster than most cutoffs, but not bad.  Keep swimming, especially with lessons, and you'll be under that time.  

Most shorter triathlons don't have changing facilities (iron distance races usually do).  The race may have a port-a-pot in transition and you could duck in there and change, but you'll generally dry off quickly after you start riding and a race in June in Wisconsin should be comfortably warm.  You can try body glide (it's like a stick of antiperspirant) where you chafe, or try different clothing.  

Your butt will toughen up the more you ride.  Consider getting a bike fit as that also makes a big difference in how long you can comfortably ride.  When the seat is at the right height, much of your weight is transferred through your legs/feet rather than your butt.  If you can sit on the seat with your feet on the ground, the seat is too low...

It's reasonable to keep running 10K as your long run as long as you have the time in your schedule.  

It's reasonable to build up to swimming 1500 yards/meters.  Rather than swim 1500 yards straight, most swim plans will have you swimming repeated shorter distances, so maybe a 300 yard warmup, 6x50 drills, 4x50 kick, 6x100 main set, 100 yard cooldown.  Why 6x100 instead of 600?  You want to reinforce good form, and the longer you swim, the more your form degrades.  Rest a little and restart with good form.  

I'd do some cross training (swimming and cycling) now even as you focus on the 15K.  BT has some beginner plans available for free.  See what the last 10 weeks of those plans look like and be ready to switch to that plan after your 15K.  

2015-03-04 4:16 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Originally posted by McFuzz
(Geek alert:  "Freestyle" means you can swim any stroke, and most swimmers choose front crawl because it is the fastest.  While rare, there are times you'll see something other than front crawl in a freestyle race.)

This made me smile.

I always thought calling a specific kind of swimming 'freestyle' was weird.

2015-03-04 4:25 PM

User image

Thank you all for being so welcoming and helpful!

Here is my current training plan that should take me up until the 15K on April 19th:

Sunday: swim for 30 minutes building up to 60 minutes
Monday: yoga&lifting
Tuesday: 2 or 3 miles of running
Wednesday: swim for 35 minutes building up to 45 minutes
Thursday: 2 or 3 miles of running and lifting
Friday: rest
Saturday: long runs 4 miles building up to 9 miles

Here is what I've got planned for post 15K that should take me up until the Triathlon on June 28th:

Sunday: bike 10 miles building up to 30 miles
Monday: rest
Tuesday: swim in the morning 300 yards (building up to 1500 yards), run 3 miles (building up to 6)
Wednesday: bike 10 miles building up to 30 miles
Thursday: swim in the morning 300 yards (building up to 1500 yards), run 3 miles (building up to 6)
Friday: bike 10 miles building up to 15 miles
Saturday: long runs—I'd be okay with keeping these at 6 or 7 miles instead of building up

The problem I'm seeing is that I need to ride my bike sooner rather than later. Do you see any other huge issues?

Edited by emisaurus 2015-03-04 4:37 PM
2015-03-04 5:52 PM

User image

Pro

Look on the bright side.....the worst thing that can happen to you is that you'll love it. 

(I'm not kidding)

Most everyone here was where you are....now they just have a lot less time and money.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-03-04 5:54 PM
2015-03-04 6:47 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

That plan seems reasonable except you're short-changing your biggest limiter...the swim.  You need to get at least 3 swims in per week...4 would be better...try not to go more than 2 days without getting in the pool.  1500 meters of open water swimming is a fair distance so you'll need to get comfortable doing 2000-2500 yd workouts by race date.

Cycling.  You'll see big improvements (comfort and endurance-wise) from just spending time in the saddle.  You'll see bigger improvements if you push the pace (within your abilities and given the length of the ride) on those rides. 

2015-03-04 7:33 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain
Most everyone here was where you are....now they just have a lot less time and money.

Haha!

I know after my first half marathon I was super happy and felt like I could have kept going. Maybe that will happen here, too!

2015-03-05 9:05 AM

User image

Worries:
1) Good advice on the swimming, multiple short sets, adding up to 1600-2,000m will definitely get you there. Yes it does get better. Slow down and work on FORM.
2) Try a chaffing product, like "Body Glide" or equivalent. Put it on before swim and you should be GTG on the bike and run. Tri shorts or one-piece tri suit that you can swim, bike, and run in with no issues.
3) No. Coming off the bike feels a little weird at first but you'll get your legs under you in a few minutes. The key to this whole affair is to set a good pace on the swim and bike, not your best, but a good pace, so when you get to the run, you'll still be able to hold something close to your normal race pace.
You COULD possibly work a few "bricks" into the latter part of your schedule. Just an easy 10-15 minutes run after the bike. As far as trying all three, you might do a sprint distance race, to let you get a feel for it, and to get race day stuff down.

Training:
1) If it wuz me, I'd treat the 15K like a "B" race, meaning it's second in priority to my "A" race, the tri. So I would be swimming and biking, along with running right now, just to be ready for the workload once your schedule starts. Coming from a running background, I think you will find your run fitness will be just fine, if you integrate it in with swimming and cycling, say something like 3 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs a week. Your run performance will be just fine in the 15K because you will gain fitness from the other two, especially the cycling. So yeah, your long run should be up around a 10K with two other runs to support it.
2) Yes. Typically your run and swim days go together, with biking on alternate days. Works out about equal in time, roughly two hours a day. The swim distance builds slowly, just like running or biking. The only difference is the skill sets are emphasized, over just pure endurance. You can muscle the run or bike, you can't muscle the swim.
3) Again, if my priority is the tri, then I would start working on my "limiters" immediately, knowing that this work will contribute to my overall fitness and running. Practice some workouts from your schedule and get a feel for it. Don't wait for the last moment, and go, man, this is too tough. Start prepping for it now.

The thing to think about for your first tri here, is to PACE yourself. Don't shred yourself in the water. Don't hammer the bike. Get to the run in good shape to do your thing, just like any other race. Think about a practice sprint distance race. Work out the little details before your big race. Start hydrating and trying some nutrition (gels, waffles, etc.) as you work out, especially on the bike.

Have FUN. You're gonna do great.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Timer: Nervous Questions! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Tri in 24 days, nervous and stupid questions only a newbie could have Pages: 1 2

Started by drchaya
Views: 4730 Posts: 46

2008-03-12 2:03 PM So Fresh So Clean

First-timer question: tri shorts

Started by KYaskovic
Views: 746 Posts: 5

2005-04-06 10:12 PM vicvroom

Last Minute Freaking Out Questions for first timer

Started by debnewbie
Views: 1417 Posts: 20

2004-07-21 12:07 AM royj

First timer questions

Started by diane717
Views: 907 Posts: 2

2004-03-02 1:57 PM warehouse_monkey

first timer questions

Started by Bry03cobra
Views: 1252 Posts: 11

2004-02-22 7:14 PM speedlee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : September 10, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 9
Description of one overweight, nervous, beginner triathlete's very first race -- a "Mini" Triathlon.