General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So I now have a set of weights! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-05 10:45 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: So I now have a set of weights!
I know there is good polarization of opinion on weight work to support endurance sports but for free I am now the proud owner of a set of bar weights and a weight bench.

Set them up last night and using a low weight on the bar did some squats and a few bench presses.

The good things I see in the future.

-Something to do when the weather is awful.
-Stronger ankles and knees from doing some squat/lunge/step repeats.
-Some quad and hamstring power improvements.
-Hopefully strengthen my calf muscles.
-Variety in workouts.

I have no desire to add upper body bulk but might use low weights to do some arm extension and rotation work.

Anyone have any favorite weight work they like to do?

2015-03-05 10:52 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: So I now have a set of weights!

More of a kettlebell fan myself but I get a lot of good workout ideas here: http://blondeponytail.com/

2015-03-05 8:24 PM

Expert
I'm always surprised by how many people avoid or limit weightlifting because they think they are going to get massive muscular bulk! Don't worry about it. Do watch out for some of the combinations of lifting and exercise that can lead to an increased chance for injury, such as shoulder work (front Laterals), followed by an aggressive swim workout, or a calf workout followed by a bike (calf cramping). Use a balanced routine, and start out with lighter weight for a few weeks, and work your way up. Don't forget abs, stretching, and roller massage are all part of a good strength routine.

2015-03-05 10:00 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I use dumbbells for curls and military press along with push-ups a few times a week after running or biking. I use to do pull-ups more and would like to get back into them.
2015-03-06 9:43 AM

User image

I have been "seriously" training for 140.6 distance races the last 2 years. This year the coach and I decided to start throwing in 2 weight workouts per week. I do these at lunch (so under an hour) at work on Tuesdays and Fridays. I also do a core session on Sunday after my long bike session.

I have noticed a marked improvement in all 3 sports. My swimming is better (stronger back/arms/delts etc), my biking (power/watts) are much better at this point than last year. And I am doing less biking because I am spending the first 4 months of the year focusing on running (BQ race on May 9th).

I am 46 years old, 5' 6" and weigh about 132-135. I have never been able to put on large amount of muscle mass, but I know that I have gained at least a couple pounds of strength this winter. So, n=1, but I think weight training is very helpful for triathletes. I can't see how having a strong core, and strong muscles is detrimental. I have not replaced any workouts with a weight session, and my normal training load hasn't been affected either. If anything I feel stronger and better doing my swim/bike/run workouts.

2015-03-06 10:02 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Take a look at Stronglifts 5x5.  Not a bad way to get into a weight routine and no need to start heavy.  I used the app on my phone for tracking.

2015-03-06 10:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DeVinci13 I have been "seriously" training for 140.6 distance races the last 2 years. This year the coach and I decided to start throwing in 2 weight workouts per week. I do these at lunch (so under an hour) at work on Tuesdays and Fridays. I also do a core session on Sunday after my long bike session. I have noticed a marked improvement in all 3 sports. My swimming is better (stronger back/arms/delts etc), my biking (power/watts) are much better at this point than last year. And I am doing less biking because I am spending the first 4 months of the year focusing on running (BQ race on May 9th). I am 46 years old, 5' 6" and weigh about 132-135. I have never been able to put on large amount of muscle mass, but I know that I have gained at least a couple pounds of strength this winter. So, n=1, but I think weight training is very helpful for triathletes. I can't see how having a strong core, and strong muscles is detrimental. I have not replaced any workouts with a weight session, and my normal training load hasn't been affected either. If anything I feel stronger and better doing my swim/bike/run workouts.

I'm not necessarily against weight training....but have you considered that there are strength training components within s/b/r? 

Hill repeats are "strength work".  Massive kick sets in swimming are "strength work".  Most of us look at s/b/r workouts as a factor of distance......how far did we go?  What is our total miles at the end of the month?  How many yards did we swim?  As an example.....find a 1/2 mile hill and climb it 10 times in an hour workout.....you'll only add 10 miles to your "monthly total"....but your cycling will improve over that 20 mile ride you do in a "normal" hour.  You want to build a massive core......put on a pair of fins and dolphin kick underwater for 500 yards (to start).   Watch what it does for your core, your balance, your feel for the water, and your breath control.  If you have enough base miles, do 10 400's on a track instead of running 5-7 miles.  All decrease your "totals"......all make you stronger, and faster.  There are plenty more examples.

Just another way to look at "strength" training that actually adds speed to your race.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-03-06 10:35 AM
2015-03-06 10:51 AM

User image

Elite

I am similar body type.  I use light weights as added resistance in exercises that are more like calisthenics than weight lifting.  I call it "waving sissy weights around".  Since I am mostly a desk worker, I view this type of exercise as a health maintenance activity so that I maintain sufficient strength and muscle tone for home chores whenever they come up, e.g. shoveling snow!  I try to do whole body exercises.  I use dumbbells exclusively.  I typically use 10 or 15 pound dumbbells.  For somethings, like squats and calf raises I use 25 lbs.  When I am on my routine, I usually do all or most of the exercises every day.  I fall off the wagon a good bit too.  Here is the routine as well as I can remember.

1.  Head-shoulders-knees-toe.  This is just a floor to overhead press with a triceps extension tacked on.  You could call it a combo move of deadlift, curl, press, and triceps extension.

2.  Start-the-lawnmower.  Start with weights together at on top of one foot.  Lift and rotate diagonally to outstretched shoulder-high on the opposite side.

3.  Lunges.  (dumbbells at sides for balance, sometimes I lunge sideways or diagonally but mostly just straight ahead)

4. Squats.  (I rest the dumbbells on my shoulders.)

5. Calf extensions, (dumbbells on shoulders)

6.  Lateral raise (raise dumbbells from sides to overhead sideways)

7.  Bent over dumbbell row

8.  Bent over fly

8.  Side row (lIft the dumbbells from straight arm position at sides to armpit)

9.  Bent over triceps extensions.  (swing weight from position at armpit to straight behind.  Alternating arm)

10.  Alternating arm curls

11. Pullover (lying on back on floor holding weights together, raise weight from waist to behind head with straight arms and back to start)

12.  Wide pullover (same as regular pullover but with weights shoulder width apart)

13.  Flippers (lying on back with weights extended out a shoulder,  raise to straight over chest with straight arms, drop weights to chest bending elbows keeping elbows up)

14.  Rotators (lying on side on floor, one arm extended straight in front, raise weight to vertical position.  Strengthens the rotator muscle)

15.  Standing press (I usually switch to the heaviest weights I have for  a set of presses)

15.  No weight exercises

Pullups

Pushups

Situps

Superman (Lie on front ,raise arms and legs off floor and hold for count of 20)

Old One Hundreds (lying on floor raise torso and legs simultaneously about 8 inches.  Hold stead for count of 100)

Burpees

Jumping jacks

2015-03-07 9:49 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left BrainI'm not necessarily against weight training....but have you considered that there are strength training components within s/b/r? 

Hill repeats are "strength work".  Massive kick sets in swimming are "strength work".  Most of us look at s/b/r workouts as a factor of distance......how far did we go?  What is our total miles at the end of the month?  How many yards did we swim?  As an example.....find a 1/2 mile hill and climb it 10 times in an hour workout.....you'll only add 10 miles to your "monthly total"....but your cycling will improve over that 20 mile ride you do in a "normal" hour.  You want to build a massive core......put on a pair of fins and dolphin kick underwater for 500 yards (to start).   Watch what it does for your core, your balance, your feel for the water, and your breath control.  If you have enough base miles, do 10 400's on a track instead of running 5-7 miles.  All decrease your "totals"......all make you stronger, and faster.  There are plenty more examples.

Just another way to look at "strength" training that actually adds speed to your race.

I only started hitting the gym late last year, and I feel it has made an improvement, mostly in my leg power, but also, and this may sound like BS, but the way everything ties together seems stronger and more in tune.

I am starting to do 'hill repeats' on my trainer, whack it in a really hard gear and grind away, and I like the approach of using s/b/r for strength! I may have to add some of these in my workouts (the swim kicks especially!)
2015-03-08 11:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by tech_geezer

I am similar body type.  I use light weights as added resistance in exercises that are more like calisthenics than weight lifting.  I call it "waving sissy weights around".  Since I am mostly a desk worker, I view this type of exercise as a health maintenance activity so that I maintain sufficient strength and muscle tone for home chores whenever they come up, e.g. shoveling snow!  I try to do whole body exercises.  I use dumbbells exclusively.  I typically use 10 or 15 pound dumbbells.  For somethings, like squats and calf raises I use 25 lbs.  When I am on my routine, I usually do all or most of the exercises every day.  I fall off the wagon a good bit too.  Here is the routine as well as I can remember.

1.  Head-shoulders-knees-toe.  This is just a floor to overhead press with a triceps extension tacked on.  You could call it a combo move of deadlift, curl, press, and triceps extension.

2.  Start-the-lawnmower.  Start with weights together at on top of one foot.  Lift and rotate diagonally to outstretched shoulder-high on the opposite side.

3.  Lunges.  (dumbbells at sides for balance, sometimes I lunge sideways or diagonally but mostly just straight ahead)

8.  Bent over fly

9.  Bent over triceps extensions.  (swing weight from position at armpit to straight behind.  Alternating arm)

11. Pullover (lying on back on floor holding weights together, raise weight from waist to behind head with straight arms and back to start)

12.  Wide pullover (same as regular pullover but with weights shoulder width apart)

13.  Flippers (lying on back with weights extended out a shoulder,  raise to straight over chest with straight arms, drop weights to chest bending elbows keeping elbows up)

14.  Rotators (lying on side on floor, one arm extended straight in front, raise weight to vertical position.  Strengthens the rotator muscle)

15.  Standing press (I usually switch to the heaviest weights I have for  a set of presses)

15.  No weight exercises

Pullups

Pushups

Situps

Old One Hundreds (lying on floor raise torso and legs simultaneously about 8 inches.  Hold stead for count of 100)

Burpees

Jumping jacks

No hip hinging movements?

No single leg work?

No hip extension? EDIT: read a bit further with movement #1.

Little sport specificity in this program

What are the goals of this program? How did you decided on all these exercises? Why so many?

If you are a desk worker I can almost assure you your hamstrings are very short, most likely have some type of extended patterned in your low back and/or anterior pelvic tilt (which causes the short hamstrings), with a core that is often inactive throughout the day. I would focus on these issues first before moving on. Establish mobility first, then stability, and work on strength after. If you are imbalanced that is another issue to focus on as well. Become efficient and establish a proper ROM and you will see dramatic results.

Look up the Functional Movement Screen, it is a great tool for assessment before programming a bit humbling but very effective.

Edited by bcagle25 2015-03-08 11:13 AM
2015-03-09 10:23 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by bcagle25

8.  Bent over fly

15.  No weight exercises

Pullups

Pushups

Situps

Burpees

Jumping jacks

No hip hinging movements? No single leg work? No hip extension? EDIT: read a bit further with movement #1. Little sport specificity in this program What are the goals of this program? How did you decided on all these exercises? Why so many? If you are a desk worker I can almost assure you your hamstrings are very short, most likely have some type of extended patterned in your low back and/or anterior pelvic tilt (which causes the short hamstrings), with a core that is often inactive throughout the day. I would focus on these issues first before moving on. Establish mobility first, then stability, and work on strength after. If you are imbalanced that is another issue to focus on as well. Become efficient and establish a proper ROM and you will see dramatic results. Look up the Functional Movement Screen, it is a great tool for assessment before programming a bit humbling but very effective.

X100!!!

2015-03-09 12:06 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by bcagle25

8.  Bent over fly

15.  No weight exercises

Pullups

Pushups

Situps

Burpees

Jumping jacks

No hip hinging movements?

No single leg work?

No hip extension? EDIT: read a bit further with movement #1.

Little sport specificity in this program

What are the goals of this program? How did you decided on all these exercises? Why so many?

If you are a desk worker I can almost assure you your hamstrings are very short, most likely have some type of extended patterned in your low back and/or anterior pelvic tilt (which causes the short hamstrings), with a core that is often inactive throughout the day. I would focus on these issues first before moving on. Establish mobility first, then stability, and work on strength after. If you are imbalanced that is another issue to focus on as well. Become efficient and establish a proper ROM and you will see dramatic results.

Look up the Functional Movement Screen, it is a great tool for assessment before programming a bit humbling but very effective.

This might be one of the first times I see ROM referenced. Thanks for mentioning it. The greatest benefit to resistance exercising for strength, muscular endurance and longevity, balance (preventing or curing impingements) and flexibility is through a muscle or muscle groups' anatomically and biomechanically designed ROM. I ask people in the gym constantly - WHY they are doing a particular exercise or movement and often they come up short in knowing the prime mover - secondary mover - stabilizer - heck.....name of the muscle(s). Granted, one must be educated to learn much of this, but following a program or copying someone else blindly is NOT the other option!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So I now have a set of weights! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike weight vs Total weight (rider/bike/gear)

Started by Garceau
Views: 2016 Posts: 9

2010-03-28 1:57 PM TriMyBest

Clincher vs. Tubular Wheel set weight Pages: 1 2

Started by bryancd
Views: 2779 Posts: 42

2010-04-15 3:35 PM Steve314

Swimming: What Interval To Set During Sprint Sets Pages: 1 2

Started by SevenZulu
Views: 3008 Posts: 42

2009-02-10 12:10 PM tkd.teacher

Can someone set me a swim set please?

Started by Cando
Views: 1122 Posts: 11

2007-02-12 4:17 PM amiine

New bike thoughts....bike Weight vs body weight Pages: 1 2

Started by KathyG
Views: 2600 Posts: 34

2006-04-27 5:02 PM ChuckyFinster
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : April 9, 2007
author : Total Immersion
How familiar are you with the details of your stroke? Do you have ways, in the middle of a training set, perhaps while trying to keep up in a lane-circle, to keep your awareness acute?
date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 1
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.

date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : January 29, 2006
author : mikericci
Setting goals for your triathlon season is important if you want to improve upon where you are and how you raced last year.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
Now we will add in the focus on how you will enter your hands in the water upon recovery, and how to rotate to the next side.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Team BT
Working only on technique will not make a swimmer much faster; some work must be done at speeds and efforts that could cause technique to deteriorate.

date : March 3, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 1
Configure your log settings to get the most out of your training log.