of 2

2015-03-09 5:52 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Dinner Conversation
Originally posted by Toefuzz

I joined a team just to have people to about triathlon, mountain biking, etc. My wife tried and does a much better job at feigning interest than I could, but I can see her eyes glaze over when I start talking about FTP, minutes per 100 yards, etc.

My diet and exercise habits are a complete 180 from the rest of my family. It's taken me years to get where I am (junior high weight). They all mention how much they admire the changes I've made and how they would like to lose some weight, be more active, etc yet nobody has taken me up on my offer to help

I have to agree when it comes to my wife. She pretends to be interested and is absolutely my biggest supporter. But you can tell when the conversation rapidly exceeds her interest. That said, she loves the fact that I am in great health and active. For all the bad choices I have made in my life, asking her to marry me 40 years ago overrides them all. I consider myself still solidly on the plus side of the ledger.

2015-03-09 8:17 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Here's my version:

Them: Why are you eating that burger and fries? Is that an apple martini? Are you having dessert AGAIN? I thought you were a triathlete

Me: Yes, I am

Them: Then why aren't you guzzling water/avoiding meat/limiting your carbs? Don't you want to be HEALTHY?? Isn't that why you exercise??

Me: No, actually I exercise because I like the rush of adrenaline it gives me and it's cheaper than drugs - and legal

Sounds like I am different than many others here... just because I enjoy moving my body doesn't mean I want to give up all the other stuff. Sometimes it's fun to be bad!
2015-03-10 6:17 AM
in reply to: Caroleena

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Kinda the same thing. But in my case it's not always about enjoying a high-calorie treat, just fueling the engine. Like most elementary teachers and probably anyone with a really busy life, I often have very limited time to eat, especially breakfast and lunch. So my whole approach to those meals is opposite those who are less active and watching their weight--on a big training day, I'm often trying to get in the max number of calories in the minimal amount of time! Of course, if those calories taste yummy and have redeeming nutritional value, even better. Bring on the peanut butter, meatballs, and coconut shakes! Occasionally someone will say, "I wish I could eat like you." I say that they might be able to if they trained like me. But no one has ever taken me up on the offer LOL. HIM training while teaching full-time as a means of weight control sounds very not worth it, at least in my book.
2015-03-10 11:28 AM
in reply to: Caroleena

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Caroleena Here's my version: Them: Why are you eating that burger and fries? Is that an apple martini? Are you having dessert AGAIN? I thought you were a triathlete Me: Yes, I am Them: Then why aren't you guzzling water/avoiding meat/limiting your carbs? Don't you want to be HEALTHY?? Isn't that why you exercise?? Me: No, actually I exercise because I like the rush of adrenaline it gives me and it's cheaper than drugs - and legal Sounds like I am different than many others here... just because I enjoy moving my body doesn't mean I want to give up all the other stuff. Sometimes it's fun to be bad!

Ha! I like to make good choices but I sure love to go out and really indulge when I want to - it's awesome to be able to do! I have fried when i want to have fries - or poutine! oooh, or ribs! 

Anyway, i get more the strange looks when I run home from work and many exclamations about how far that is.  One guy i think was genuinely concerned - i live about 10k from work - i had keep assuring him this was no big deal ... 

2015-03-11 12:33 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Extreme Veteran
Puyallup, WA
Originally posted by Sidney Porter

It is actually pretty easy to find studies that Gatorade is not healthy, it often compared to soda. You can also find studies that a beer after a workout can be used as a hydration / recovery drink.

disclosure : I will drink Gatorade but I normally make it from the powder and make it around 1/4 the strength.

X2 on the beer after a hard workout. Nothing tastes as good as a cold beer after a long swim / bike / run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dinner Conversation Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Hilarious Conversation!

Started by bsc77
Views: 1251 Posts: 5

2011-07-25 1:57 PM firegirlred

Interesting conversation with Tri Club Organizer...

Started by sjwwebster
Views: 1314 Posts: 12

2011-03-16 8:27 PM FELTGood

Comical comments, questions and conversations Pages: 1 2

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 3435 Posts: 38

2010-07-24 9:23 AM TritoTeach

Best comments/conversations during your transitions

Started by zionvier
Views: 1988 Posts: 20

2010-05-02 9:34 PM suzimmer

Funny conversation with my wife...

Started by briderdt
Views: 1805 Posts: 23

2008-01-02 7:04 PM nxm165
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 20, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
While carbo-loading sounds simple (just stuff yourself with pasta, right?), the truth is that many endurance athletes make food mistakes that hurt their performance.

date : December 12, 2004
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
As an athlete who shows responsibility by training hard, you'll miss the boat if you are irresponsible with fueling your hard worked body.