Evergreean Trail Runs
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 40s
Overall Rank = 283/1805
Age Group = 50 - 59
Age Group Rank = 20/98
Pre-race routine:

Drove down the night before and stayed at my brothers house which is about a 20 minute drive to the start. Had a late dinner but got to bed fairly early.
Event warmup:

No warmup. It was a little chilly in the morning so we stayed in the car until about ten minutes before the start. Plan was to take the first few miles easy to loosen up.
Run
  • 1h 42m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Lined up about 50 feet behind the start line. The course is very narrow for the large volume of participants especially the first few miles. Tried to start far enough up to not get too caught up in the crowd but didn't want to start too far up and get caught up in a faster flow of runners. Hit it just about right. I wasn't sure what was going to happen with my sore foot so wanted to play it a little cautious until I got a sense of what it was going to do.

First two miles went very comfortably just under 8:00 pace. There was a pace group right in front of me and I was content to just cruise along behind them. Besides it was hard to get around them as they were a large tight pack and at this point the course had left the path and gone up on the shoulder of the main road. There were cones on the fog line but people were darting around the left of them into traffic. I thought for sure someone was going to get hit by a car. The pace group stepped it up to about 7:55 which was good as I was starting to feel pent up.

At about four miles we hit an aid station. Half the pack came to a complete stop which really irritated me. I had to go around them and missed getting a drink. As with my last race (same thing happened) my comfort was that I was now in front of all of them. I decided to turn it up a notch since I was feeling very strong and I wanted to put some distance between me and the pace pack.

I hit the halfway mark at 52 minutes and decided at that moment that I felt good enough to keep pouring it on. Hit a 7:30 mile and thought I better wait until a little later in the race to do anything too crazy and pulled up a little from there. I was passing quite a few people and that became my mental focus. Reel someone in, pass, and then look ahead to the next.

Felt great all the way to the finish line and achieved a negative split by 1:20. I was so happy.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I run about 20 - 25 races a year and usually only 2 or 3 of those I walk away with a feeling of total satisfaction. This was one of those races where I felt I ran to my maximum potential for my current fitness and executed the race well. I'll savor this one for awhile.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to keep from tightening up. Waited to cheer on my brother and wife who also ran the race. Met up with fellow BT'ers for food and a few beers. It was really nice to see everyone. It is another reason I look forward to this day each year.

After the race went to my brothers for bbq and beer while sitting in the glorious early spring sun. Day after the race my foot is very sore but not as bad as it was post-race two weeks ago. It will be another week of swim/bike focus but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My foot was sore. Nothing I could do about that and was thankful that it wasn't more of a hindrance.

Event comments:

This is a great event on one of my favorite courses. A very scenic run along the lake. With 1800+ it is starting to get a bit congested on the path. This is my third year and will continue to make it a tradition.

Last updated: 2015-03-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:40 | 13.1 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/98
Overall: 283/1805
Performance: Good
Course: Flat point to point primarily on path along Lake Sammamish. Part paved, part crushed gravel. Due to trail construction several miles were run on the shoulder of the road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-03-08 11:52 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

2015-03-09 9:51 AM
in reply to: #5098962

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

Walking away from a race feeling truly satisfied with your result = pure win!  BIG congrats on your very solid finish, it's good to hear your foot didn't hinder you too much.  Hopefully it continues to heal quickly for you.  So great that you got to meet up with friends, family and BT-ers for food and fun, too.  Sounds like an all around great day!

2015-03-09 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Sweet race Steve! Really cool to come away from a race feeling that good. Congratulations on a job well done.

2015-03-09 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Great day, great report, and congrats on the negative split! Sounds like great execution for easing up to the faster speeds and getting around the "slow pokes".

Congrats!

2015-03-09 12:39 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Great job Steve, nice negative split.

Good to see you!

2015-03-09 1:38 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice race!  Great job.  :-)

2015-03-10 12:36 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Way to go, Steve!!  Sounds like a lovely day start to finish (except for that darn pokey pace group).  Keep up the good work and hope the foot heals up soon.

2015-03-11 11:01 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

Hard to beat feeling satisfied after a well-run race. Nice job being patient and listening to what your body was ready to take on. Paid off!

2015-03-14 5:38 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
GREAT job, great race and I hope your foot heals quickly!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Sammamish Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

Started by Muskrat37
Views: 1708 Posts: 6

2013-03-14 10:25 AM TriAya

Started by Medusa_Ann
Views: 1626 Posts: 5

2013-03-12 6:53 PM SSMinnow

Started by bluetractor
Views: 1489 Posts: 4

2012-03-18 1:03 PM KateTri1

Lake Sammamish Half-Marathon

Started by oldntrin
Views: 994 Posts: 1

2011-03-27 8:57 AM oldntrin

Lake Sammamish Half-Marathon

Started by Medusa_Ann
Views: 2327 Posts: 9

2011-03-28 8:57 PM popsracer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.