General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hay fever Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-09 6:58 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Hay fever
Yes, indeed it is spring in Florida and this has been coming for a while as I have had the symptoms of seasonal allergy for a couple of years. However, this year is the first time I have had the full-blown symptoms of hay fever (sneezing, watery eyes, head congestion, etc). I feel OK to workout, but would it be best if I do so indoors until the symptoms pass?

2015-03-09 7:23 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Hay fever
I have really bad hay fever, allergies, and asthma. I am on double allergy shots 1 x per week, Zyrtec, and Dulera (for asthma). I've finally gotten it under control and feel prepared for the spring.

I would start taking some sort of allergy medication just for the season. Zyrtec is pretty good. I think it's fine to ride and run outside, but just make sure you wash the pollen off your skin immediately following the workout. Breathe right strips help a little and so does a sinus rinse.

Hang in there! Summer will be here soon.
2015-03-09 8:21 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I get really bad hay fever most of the year round but summer is the worst time for me (thank you flowering eucalyptus trees). Allergy medication wasn't helping at all, I would be itchy all over, especially my eyes, and they would swell almost shut some days. Anyway I started taking this:
http://www.martinandpleasance.com/products/comb-h-hayfever-125-tabl...
It is all natural, cheaper than any other meds by a long shot and works great for me. As long as I take it everyday I have absolutely no problems and can train outside no matter what trees are in flower.

If you can't find a way to control your symptoms then I would definitely train inside, especially if it means the difference between being able to train or not.
2015-03-09 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
I have pretty bad (Juniper) allergies. I do four things that seem to keep it at a tolerable level...

1) Take an allergy pill every day (I take Costco's version of Zyrtec).
2) Eat a teaspoon of local bee pollen every day
3) Nasal irrigation every morning.
4) Nasal irrigation or shower after longer outdoor workouts (especially if I am out trail running).
2015-03-09 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I have suffered for years with hay fever. About 20 years ago I did the whole desensitization shots. It was great for about 15 years. Then the symptoms started to come back. So I am doing the shots again. It's a pain but I would still highly recommend it.

I was walking the dogs on Sat with my wife and I commented that they had just mowed the lawns the day before. I am highly allergic to grasses and when they are cut it releases the antigens that used to make me housebound. I was just fine. Being able to do that and go outdoors without having to think about who is mowing the lawn or what routes I can't ride based on what is flowering is worth it 1000 times over.

If you have never considered it I highly recommend you see an allergist and check it out. If nothing else understanding what it is you are allergic to can be a great help. I never realized that when certain grasses bloom I could not drink milk. The antigens would be consumed by the cows and remain in the milk.

Good luck.
2015-03-09 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I do not have really bad hayfever but enough to make my eyes really itchy, throat sore and sneezing.  As well as the standard anti allergy medication and nasal spray I always put a bit of vaseline  around the base of my nostrils.  I find this really helps.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hay fever Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Low grade fever

Started by dreabear
Views: 671 Posts: 3

2010-07-06 12:51 PM dreabear

Tri fever

Started by trigal38
Views: 546 Posts: 2

2010-06-21 12:29 PM jellyfish

Fighting Hay Fever with 7 Days to Go to my Half Marathon..Any Advice?

Started by Makukula
Views: 1233 Posts: 6

2010-04-20 12:55 AM Makukula

Spring fever!!

Started by cusetri
Views: 728 Posts: 4

2009-03-15 6:00 PM ell-in-or

I've Got the fever

Started by Recruit
Views: 585 Posts: 11

2007-05-31 9:20 AM FishrCutB8
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Could these fevers be related to my training and increased fatigue? Is there anything I can do to help prevent future occurrences? Or could it just be allergies combined with increased fatigue?