General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pacing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-09 1:42 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Pacing

What do you guys think about a non-registered athlete jumping in and pacing someone for a portion of a race?I believe the rules at a minimum discourage this. Although I'm not sure how that works if a course is not closed.

But technicalities aside, do you feel this is cheating? 

2015-03-09 1:44 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Subject: RE: Pacing
The rules don't "discourage" it-- they prohibit it. If someone is on the race course they need to be a registered runner/racer.

I have nothing against someone registering and racing/pacing with a friend.
2015-03-09 1:44 PM

User image

Unless you are doing a relay, triathlon is an individual sport, so I don't like it.
2015-03-09 1:45 PM

User image

Pro

Why not just register them? 

Since you asked, I wouldn't care....but I'm not "racing".  I suspect I'd be in the BIG minority, which is why I asked the above question.

2015-03-09 1:48 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Seattle

Yeah. I am talking specifically about running, but same thing.

I watched this happen in my race over the past weekend. I had never given it much thought. But I passed this particular individual, who was clearly struggling mentally to keep pace and then her friend joined her for the middle 5 miles or so of a half marathon, getting her back on what I assumed was her projected pace and she ended up passing me.

I'm not exactly bitter (although she did knock me out of the top 10) but it bothered me a little bit because I know how beneficial it is to work with people during a race, letting someone else worry about the pacing. But I wasn't really sure of the general consensus. 

2015-03-09 1:49 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Left Brain

Since you asked, I wouldn't care....but I'm not "racing".  I suspect I'd be in the BIG minority, which is why I asked the above question.

That's what I wonder?

I'm guessing because they didn't think it was a big deal. But it allowed her to finish top ten in a relatively competitive race...so, when does it actually become a "big deal."

2015-03-09 2:01 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Asalzwed

That's what I wonder?

I'm guessing because they didn't think it was a big deal. But it allowed her to finish top ten in a relatively competitive race...so, when does it actually become a "big deal."

I think it's a big deal for everybody who is actually racing....and I'm not differentiating between those who are actually competitive and those who have no chance at being competitive.  If you are racing I can completely understand that it's a big deal, and it should be.

I'm not actually racing anymore so I really couldn't care less....it's just fun for me and I don't care who plays by the rules and who doesn't. I don't have to live with them.

2015-03-09 2:04 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jennifer_runs The rules don't "discourage" it-- they prohibit it. If someone is on the race course they need to be a registered runner/racer. I have nothing against someone registering and racing/pacing with a friend.

I see it that way too. Depending on the situation I might care a lot or not much at all, but it's definitely against the rules.

2015-03-09 3:32 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

From website of said race:

Can I bring a pacer?
Because trail space is limited, to ensure that all racers have the best experience, pacers running without a bib are not allowed to minimize congestion. You are very welcome to run with a friend, but please have them register as well.

My opinion is that they did something that was specifically and expressly prohibited.  Shame on them.  Maybe a case of ignorance, maybe a case of rules don't apply to me.  Whatever, it was wrong and they should not make a habit out of it. 

2015-03-09 5:01 PM

It's cheating to pace off a non-competitor. It's not cheating to pace off another competitor or an official pacer. Whether anyone will care, clearly one person does.
2015-03-09 5:50 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I am registered to assist in pacing a friend run an ultra. Imagine an unregistered clown trying that one in an ultra. It's pretty petty to do it "un-registered" in races that don't specify no? Least in my opinion

2015-03-09 6:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by Asalzwed

That's what I wonder?

In that situation it would be a big deal to me.  At least one of the two had to know its wrong you would think.

2015-03-10 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

I don't like it, but I know plenty of people who do it without a second thought.  These same people also plan their weekend long runs to loop through race courses so they can bandit the gels and water though... two weeks ago a few of them did an entire HM complete with aid stations on the back end of their long run. I watched them cross the finish line and grab some fruit too. 

So yeah, pacers are like those guys.  Taking up valuable space on the course and actually adding to the cost of the race for every entrant. 

2015-03-11 4:04 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

If the person finishes top 10% I think it is a problem.
If he/she is slower than that I wouldn't care.
2015-03-11 7:14 AM
in reply to: knuta99

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I haven't had time to read all of the posts so sorry if this is redundant. I have no problem with someone using a race course that hasn't paid for the race because typically these courses take over parts of popular training courses. During my last Oly my friend planning on riding through and drafting off someone because the course was near his house and his usual training ride. It is illegal the other way around though.

3. Outside Assistance: No assistance other than that offered by race and medical officials may be used. Triathlons and duathlons are individual tests of fitness.
Penalty: Variable time penalty

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/rulebook/most-common-v...
2015-03-11 1:29 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Extreme Veteran
In a triathlon: pretty well against the rules most of the time, and if not technically against the rules, I'd still look down on it.

In an ultra running event: happens all the time on portions of the run, but I'd check the rules,especially for those in front.

2015-03-11 3:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by Lupy

• During my last Oly my friend planning on riding through and drafting off someone because the course was near his house and his usual training ride. It is illegal the other way around though.

• While your friend did not offer assistance to a competitor, he/she may have put an athlete at risk... Someone drafting can rub wheels and cause a crash... (please don't tell me how great of a rider your friend is..) Someone not used to a drafter riding behind may become nervous ....

The cynic in me wants to 'ask' if the friend was drafting off you? IF SO, then really, having a friend drafting, offering encouragement, pushing, would be 'outside assistance', at absolutely no cost. He/she cannot be penalized, and the racer in this situation can throw up his/her hands and claim innocence.... Either way, not 'in the spirit' of (the) sport.

At minimum, it would P*** ME OFF to have an unregistered person drafting me while I raced in a non-draft race. I know that the rules of the road/law do not prohibit one from riding on a course during a race, or running in a road race, but a little common sense .....

And , to be blunt, taking advantage of gels, water, food, etc, is a dickhead move.

Edited by triosaurus 2015-03-11 3:08 PM
    2015-03-11 4:24 PM
    in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by triosaurus
    Originally posted by Lupy . During my last Oly my friend planning on riding through and drafting off someone because the course was near his house and his usual training ride. It is illegal the other way around though.
    While your friend did not offer assistance to a competitor, he/she may have put an athlete at risk... Someone drafting can rub wheels and cause a crash... (please don't tell me how great of a rider your friend is..) Someone not used to a drafter riding behind may become nervous .... The cynic in me wants to 'ask' if the friend was drafting off you? IF SO, then really, having a friend drafting, offering encouragement, pushing, would be 'outside assistance', at absolutely no cost. He/she cannot be penalized, and the racer in this situation can throw up his/her hands and claim innocence.... Either way, not 'in the spirit' of (the) sport. At minimum, it would P*** ME OFF to have an unregistered person drafting me while I raced in a non-draft race. I know that the rules of the road/law do not prohibit one from riding on a course during a race, or running in a road race, but a little common sense ..... And , to be blunt, taking advantage of gels, water, food, etc, is a dickhead move.

No doubt.  This would leave me angry and shaking my head. 

2015-03-11 4:27 PM

User image

Pro

Can you draft off someone who is not actually in the race on an open public street?

Kinda like the tree that falls in the woods....if no one is around, does it make a sound?

If it's a rider who is not in the race does he even exist?  And if he doesn't exist, how could it be drafting? 

These things keep me up at night.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-03-11 4:30 PM
    2015-03-11 4:52 PM

User image

Regular
    Portland, Oregon

Can you draft off someone who is not actually in the race on an open public street?

Kinda like the tree that falls in the woods....if no one is around, does it make a sound?

If it's a rider who is not in the race does he even exist?  And if he doesn't exist, how could it be drafting? 

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/rulebook.aspx
    5.10 Position Fouls. In accordance with the Rules as set forth in this section, a participant is not permitted to position his bicycle in the proximity of another moving vehicle so as to benefit from reduced air resistance.

• ..and if vehicle seems to imply motor vehicle:
  • b. Definition of Drafting Zone. The term "drafting zone" shall refer to a rectangular area seven (7) meters long and two (2) meters wide surrounding each bicycle.

In neither rule does it specify that the other vehicle/cyclists is a registered participant.

To the original question: yeah, it would me off.
    If you happen to run on a race course and are therefore (unintentionally?) banditing, then don't take the aide and don't interact with the race. If you do, you are providing outside assistance or hindrance. The racer should have stopped at that point, asked the person to back off or self-DQed.
    2015-03-11 5:10 PM

User image

Pro
    Bellingham, WA

If someone is an inch off my back wheel they exist and I do not like it.

2015-03-11 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

Ima gonna Relax Don't Worry and Have a HomeBrew

2015-03-11 9:12 PM
    in reply to: Clempson

User image

Veteran
    Southampton, Ontario
    Originally posted by Clempson

I don't like it, but I know plenty of people who do it without a second thought.  These same people also plan their weekend long runs to loop through race courses so they can bandit the gels and water though... two weeks ago a few of them did an entire HM complete with aid stations on the back end of their long run. I watched them cross the finish line and grab some fruit too. 

t. 

wow, i know races can get expensive but come on, thats just rediculous
    2015-03-12 5:12 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

As many have said people jumping on and off the course can be a distraction for other participants.  They don't know who they are racing down to move up in the over all ranking and who is just a "pacer" or a "bandit".  They also don't know if that guy who just jumped ahead of them had a car drop him off to help him cut 25 minutes off his run or if he is just a warming up while he wait for his friend to come by or there to get a free sports drink so he doesn't have to carry his water belt for this run that day.  The only way to keep the race clean is to keep all the runners on the course and everyone else off the course.   The exception to this would be if the race could provide a way to mark pacers by providing a pacer's tee-shirt, vest, or hat that they are required to ware on the course.  To get the shirt/vest/hat they should be requiring to have their name listed on the runners entry and for liability purposes sign the same waiver as the runner.  To limit congestion there also should be designated portions of the the course where pacers are permitted and where they aren't. Anything short of that type of structure for pacers and I would be ticked off if someone was on the course that wasn't a registered participant.  If you have a race going through your neighborhood You know about it months before the race and can make other arrangements for you run/ride that day.  Race organizers are required to have event insurance and if some bandit on the course is involved in and accident then the lawyers and going to have a heyday.  The organizer has an event permit from the city which gives them the right to close the course to anyone who hasn't registered and signed their event waiver.   

As a high school runner the pacing rules were very different.  We would be DQ's for wearing a watch.  Coaches could yell out our splits as we passed, but wearing a watch to get our splits was a violation to the anti-pacing rules that were in place.   So...after learning to pace myself for 13 years I still haven't got used to the idea of carrying electrical devises while racing.  Wrist watches to get you miles splits, ipods with music at set beats to time your cadence,  GPS watches to tell you your pace, Heart monitors to tell you your effort, power meters to tell you your pedal power, cadence meter to tell you your pedal cycles per minute, etc. all all forms of pacing.  I think that these electronic pacers give you a bigger advantage than a friend to pace you so I feel that it is more of a "cheat" to carry an electrical device (that are not in the off position) that to have a pacer run with you on the course.  I really don't think the sports officials are worried about monitoring the advantages that athletes receive from external sources for pacing or else they would ban the electric forms of pacing too.  I know some marathons ban the use of cell phones and ipods on the course because they are seen as a nuisance to other participants.  Pacers could fall into this category (as others have illustrated).   It is 3 times harder to pace a person that is running two wide with their pacer than it just pace the participant.   The nuisance alone is enough to keep the pacers out of the triathlons as stated in the official rules, but from a race director's stand point it really just comes down to the fact that it is pain get waivers from all the pacers so that you are covered for you liability of them being on the course and then coming up with a way to monitor the course with people coming on and offs all through out the course.   

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-03-12 5:14 PM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pacing Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

5K pace vs 10K pace vs HM pace Pages: 1 2

Started by maria40nc
    Views: 7086 Posts: 29

2009-09-17 2:42 PM johnnyrockit

training pace vs race pace.

Started by skipg
    Views: 1186 Posts: 5

2008-04-18 7:39 AM davealt

race pace vs training pace Pages: 1 2 3

Started by danCC
    Views: 4879 Posts: 67

2008-04-10 6:47 AM Scout7

Treadmill pace vs. Outside Pace Pages: 1 2

Started by graceful_dave
    Views: 6201 Posts: 44

2014-01-28 6:12 PM jennifer_runs

To Pace or not to Pace?

Started by Marvarnett
    Views: 1042 Posts: 15

2006-12-10 4:31 PM constance
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : October 23, 2006
    author : Ron
    comments : 0
    Using the heart-rate and pace zone tracker for your workouts.

date : January 30, 2006
    author : acbadger
    Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.
    date : November 27, 2005
    author : mikericci
    Focus on doing the drills and improving each week. Eventually you will go out for a run, look down, and see that your pace has improved, your heart rate is lower, and your cadence is over 90 rpm.

date : March 20, 2005
    Now is your chance! If you want to prove that you should be training at a faster pace you can prove it by racing faster.
    date : January 10, 2005
    The misconception of LSD is that it’s easy. What I have learned over the years is that LSD or "running slow" is relative to each person.

date : October 24, 2004
    author : tri-en
    If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.
    date : September 4, 2004
    author : priscilla
    Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.

date : September 1, 2004
    author : AskMrsBT
    "On a six-mile tempo run is the warm up and cool down miles"