General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pick a bike size Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-10 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: Pick a bike size

I am currently looking at buying a new bike and struggling with what size to get.  I understand the best solution would be to get a professional bike fit done, but due to location, time and ultimately money (SO put me on a tight budge) this is really not an option.  Any of the experts out there have input on what bike I should go with?  The photo shows my measurements along with the geometry of the bike I am looking at it.  I am torn between the M/L and the L, I have had an opportunity to sit on a M/L and it felt pretty good, but there was also a bit of a feeling that I was scrunched a bit at the shoulders.  There was still plenty of room (maybe 3 inches) to move the pads out so that may take care of that.   I also have calls and emails out to stores to get some input, but most of the response has been to come I for a fit.

Thanks for the help

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (252KB - 1 downloads)

2015-03-10 12:51 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Pick a bike size
I didn't even look at your numbers because I have no idea about that. I've heard that if you are between sizes either "should" work for you. The smaller one can be made more aggressive and the larger one less aggressive. I'm not sure if that is the same for tri bike vs road though.
2015-03-10 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

When you're calling those shops (I assume to see if they have the size L?), ask about their fit policies -- many apply the price of the fit towards the purchase of the bike (assuming you buy it there). If you're already decided on the model*, and are just undecided on the size*, then getting the fit won't cost any more than buying the bike.

* I say all this with the caveat that it is NOT what I recommend as the best process for buying a bike.

2015-03-10 4:08 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

Will you be purchasing the bike from a store?  They will surely fit you there and then and certainly shouldn't charge for it.  The numbers can only tell you so much - your really need to sit on both bikes and see which is more comfortable.  I was in a similar situation when buying my MTB where I could have had either the small or medium based on the dimensions.  After sitting on both I felt a bit too stretched out on the medium so went with the small.

2015-03-10 4:18 PM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
I will be ordering it online, so I'm a little hesitant to use the bike shops. Unless I do a full retul fit (or something similar) then maybe, but I would feel a little guilty to go in be fitted and then bolt to order somewhere else. I have checked a few online calculators but those seem to be sketchy at best. Are the retul fits actually worth the money they cost? I think I am going to call a couple of shops and see what they say,
2015-03-10 4:32 PM

User image

Pro

Finding a qualified fitter that isn't directly associated with a shop is also a possibility - I know some local tri and cycling coaches that offer fits but aren't selling bikes.

2015-03-11 8:13 AM

There is a performance store in Dublin. That would be about and 1:15 from you. Performance is going to have prices comparable to most online shops (bikes direct will be cheaper). Even if it isn't an official fitting you will get to try out the different sizes.
http://www.performancebike.com
2015-03-11 8:43 AM

User image

Originally posted by mambos

I would feel a little guilty to go in be fitted and then bolt to order somewhere else.

Why? The fitting, especially retul or similar, is a service that has little to do with sales and a much better return rate for the shop.

the retul fits actually worth the money they cost?

Yes. At least mine was/were. Your fit changes over time so ask how much a yearly refit would be as well.

2015-03-11 9:15 AM
in reply to: tridantri

Originally posted by tridantri

Will you be purchasing the bike from a store?  They will surely fit you there and then and certainly shouldn't charge for it.  The numbers can only tell you so much - your really need to sit on both bikes and see which is more comfortable.  I was in a similar situation when buying my MTB where I could have had either the small or medium based on the dimensions.  After sitting on both I felt a bit too stretched out on the medium so went with the small.

I think the issue is how we define a fitting.
- Getting on a bike and the attendant makes some adjustment ride around the parking lot. Maybe try out 2 sizes if it appears you are in between sizes and maybe get you on a couple brands. yes I would agree most shops will do this and there is not a charge or the charge in minimal. This is really part of the sale. I would call it sizing not a fitting.

- You make an appointment and the but you on an adjustable machine, you ride that and then they keep tweeking it. You will end up there for about 2 hours before you ever get on a real bike. Once they have you dialed in on the machine they will compare the measurement to bikes (some they sell some they don't). Normally this is going to cost 100-200 if you buy a bike from them you are often credited with the cost of the fitting.

I would say what you had on the mtb was a sizing.
2015-03-11 9:18 AM

I will be ordering it online, so I'm a little hesitant to use the bike shops. Unless I do a full retul fit (or something similar) then maybe, but I would feel a little guilty to go in be fitted and then bolt to order somewhere else. I have checked a few online calculators but those seem to be sketchy at best. Are the retul fits actually worth the money they cost? I think I am going to call a couple of shops and see what they say,

If you need to come into Columbus this would be an option for fitting.
http://www.tritechmultisport.com/services.htm
2015-03-11 9:38 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by Sidney Porter
If you need to come into Columbus this would be an option for fitting.http://www.tritechmultisport.com/services.htm

Thank you everyone for the input, I am getting a pretty good discount ordering through a buddies cycling club which is part of the reason for the hesitancy on a "sizing" at a store. I was surprised that the club didn't have someone who could fit, but I think that part was members only

I came across the Tri-tech on a search last night and have an email out to them and will also call them later. They appear to use the FIST? System so I can see what it's about, it also looks to be considerably cheaper than the Retul fits that are about 2 1/2 hours away from me.

Do you have any experience with them? It appears they have been around for awhile but I have not been that direction for stores or service.

2015-03-11 9:59 AM

User image

Here. check out your fitter and see if you can find more possibly closer:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/fitters/
2015-03-11 10:32 AM
in reply to: 0

I have not used their fitting service nor have I made any major purchases from them. I have picked up some little things. In my experience they seem professional and knowledgable. This have a large selection of bikes in stock. Their location is somewhat odd it is in more of an industrial / office complex area that a traditional shopping area they are near the Bud brewery so easy access from 270.

Edited by Sidney Porter 2015-03-11 10:33 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pick a bike size Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tri bike p0rn - lots of work put into picking the perfect bike

Started by luv2flyjrn
Views: 1857 Posts: 13

2012-08-22 10:30 AM SoberTriGuy

bike size - post your stats (height, build, brand, bike size) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by michael_runs
Views: 11878 Posts: 56

2011-10-11 11:40 PM Left Brain

Tri bike size vs road bike

Started by triturn
Views: 613 Posts: 3

2007-02-05 6:36 PM triturn

Road Bike to Tri Bike Sizing

Started by Binney59
Views: 769 Posts: 4

2005-07-07 2:49 PM DRLski

How do I pick a frame size?

Started by whatiwillbe
Views: 768 Posts: 5

2004-02-05 3:22 PM Sirvelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?