General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Decisive Month or Will I have a Tri Season this year Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-11 9:47 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: Decisive Month or Will I have a Tri Season this year
I am posting this as I hope in about a month to have a success story to relate about managing training and injury.

I got to the end of my tether last year when knee meniscus tears ruined my aim to finish the year with my first Olympic.

So this month I have got back on the horse with running and today I will run for the first time in some Hoka Conquests. At the start of April I have a local 5k race booked with the idea that if I can get there, run well and recover well I will have a good enough reason to look at a season ahead.

My calf muscles are my trouble spot. Between cramping and tears they cause me the most trouble and I am sure that a combination of poor ankle flexibility, tight quads and my occasional knee issues, plus my heavy over-pronation all contribute to this. So I am taking the battle with them by moving to the super cushioning of the Hokas, working on ankle strength and flexibility, good hydration and nutrition as well as managing my runs (slow increase in distance, dynamic drills to warm up).

I am only aiming for sprint events this year and so no competitive runs over 7.5 km. But I really want to build a running base where I can do that distance well, off the bike and not have torn my legs to shreds in the process.

Any other advice or tips I can add to this plan are much appreciated.

2015-03-11 2:30 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

Veteran
Subject: RE: Decisive Month or Will I have a Tri Season this year
Best of luck to you. My suggestion is to invest in some self-massage tools such as a foam roller for the quads and IT bands and The Stick for the calves. They hurt like heck at first but eventually you get used to them. I think with your dynamic stretching pre workout, some gentle static stretching post workout, self-massage, and self-control on your distances you will have a great season. Keep us updated on your progress.
2015-03-11 2:32 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I'm in about the same position and was last year too.  I wear Hokas as well because I have back and hip issues as a result of past injuries. Given how cushy they are, however, ankle strength or

In addition to very gradually ramping up my SBR, I also use my foam roller regularly, work on ankle and hip/glute stability, and do dynamic stretches every day regardless of what activity I'm doing.  Increasing hip stability will help with knees by putting stability at both ends of your legs, which helps your knees from wobbling around so much.  I'm also working on general core strength because that will also help stabilize things.

I'm doing PT for my knee because started getting a lot of pain in Dec. when I was training for a HM and had to stop running completely.  My PT gave me the following exercises to do every day and I can already tell a difference in my hip/glute strength after just a few days:

• single leg front toe tap 5x/leg
  • single leg front heel/back toe 5x/leg
  • leg swing fwd and back 5x/leg
  • fwd lunge w/knee dip 10x
  • bkwd lunge w/knee dip 10x

Lunge step doesn't need to be big; just a little larger than a regular walking step.  The knee dips don't need to be down to the floor; just halfway down is fine.  As you increase in strength, you can dip deeper with your knee.  With the leg swing, as you increase in flexibility, you can start to flick your knee up toward your rear.  Another exercise you can do is to do squats on a platform that's about 1.5" at the top sloping down to the floor.  They're much easier because you don't have ankle impingement limiting the depth of your squat.  You still get the same benefits from it.

One last thing that I do, which really helps with both quad strength and cardio, is to do some stairs every day.  My office is on the 14th floor of our building, which makes them really convenient.  By the end of the summer last year, I was up to 13 flights 2x/day.  I started over again this season at 4 flights a couple weeks ago and am gradually increasing.  I stopped doing that after tri season last year when I ramped up my running and I think that might have contributed to my knee injury.  Maybe or maybe not, but I'm planning on not giving that up this year!  If you don't have easy access to that many stairs, you can always do a single-step workout and just gradually increase the amount of time you do it.  One flight is about 15-20 steps if you want to gauge it that way.

Hope that helps somewhat.  Good luck!!

2015-03-11 3:08 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
trinity - i have been using a roller a little and an old rolling pin on my lower legs. Agony when I run it over a knot :-(

laffin - thanks for the drills. I do have 5 flight of stairs at work and do them most days 2 or 3 times.

1st run today in the Hokas was lovely. 5.5km at an average of 5:16 mins per km.
2015-03-11 3:50 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Core work and stretching 3 X 30 minutes and strength training 2 X45 minutes every week have drastically cut down on My injury episodes period I am a convert .
2015-03-12 9:18 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by badmo77a trinity - i have been using a roller a little and an old rolling pin on my lower legs. Agony when I run it over a knot :-( laffin - thanks for the drills. I do have 5 flight of stairs at work and do them most days 2 or 3 times. 1st run today in the Hokas was lovely. 5.5km at an average of 5:16 mins per km.

Forgot to give full explanation of the toe tap and toe/heel tap.  In between taps, lift your foot to your knee.  So it would be toe tap, lift foot to knee, toe tap, lift foot, etc., or heel tap/foot to knee/toe tap/heel to knee, etc.  Sorry.

2015-03-12 9:39 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by badmo77a trinity - i have been using a roller a little and an old rolling pin on my lower legs. Agony when I run it over a knot :-( laffin - thanks for the drills. I do have 5 flight of stairs at work and do them most days 2 or 3 times. 1st run today in the Hokas was lovely. 5.5km at an average of 5:16 mins per km.

Forgot to give full explanation of the toe tap and toe/heel tap.  In between taps, lift your foot to your knee.  So it would be toe tap, lift foot to knee, toe tap, lift foot, etc., or heel tap/foot to knee/toe tap/heel to knee, etc.  Sorry.

I did what I thought was right last night and it seemed like I was doing tap dance exercises :-)

Thanks for the extra detail.
2015-03-13 12:47 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by badmo77a
Originally posted by laffinrock

I did what I thought was right last night and it seemed like I was doing tap dance exercises :-) Thanks for the extra detail.

It still feels like tap exercises.  Makes me kind of want to put my hand on my hip and add in a little hip swing flair to make it more sassy! 

2015-03-16 8:32 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
The hip swing really helps!

Kidding aside I had another good run session on the weekend. Hamstring stretching has helped a lot. Stretch them out and then my calves complain a lot less.

Hokas really are wonderful so far. No noise from my shins!
2015-03-17 9:09 AM

So are the Hoka Conquests good for a heavy over pronator? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. If so I might give them a try.
2015-03-17 12:19 PM
in reply to: houtexan

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by houtexan

So are the Hoka Conquests good for a heavy over pronator? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. If so I might give them a try.

I was fitted in them by Benny the dude at my local run store. He is a 2:20 marathoner in his heyday and the coach of our local high school team.

He had me in Brooks Adrenalin GTS last year but I was getting some soreness in my shins and could sometimes hear some drag from the shoe.

I have done some basic video work in his store and the roll inward in clear. I might not be super-over-pronating but certainly over-pronate. The Conquest gives great support and due to moving from 10mm of drop in the GTS to 4mm in the Hoka I feel a much easier landing.

I am a heavy guy (250lbs).

Hopefully I will know more after my 5k race which is now 18 days away. But if I run and recover well there I will be buying a sister pair of Hokas for this season and looking forward to a year of good running. Considering my weight I will get some speed for free. The main aim is to have shoes and a training plan that allow me to get out there consistently.

I ran at lunch today and planned an easy half an hour. However due to being wind assisted my 2nd km was under 5mins per km (4:58).

Now if I can just figure out why my right shoulder is sore from swimming....

2015-03-26 11:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Lets just say the new shoes and training regime are working very nicely.

Last training run was 6.43 km in 32:35. Splits below.

Legs feel great today. The Hokas are wonderful.

Edited by badmo77a 2015-03-26 11:08 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Decisive Month or Will I have a Tri Season this year Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Signing up for IM (12 months in advance) without having run a stand alone marathon

Started by mtnbikerchk
Views: 1979 Posts: 25

2014-08-02 8:45 PM niceguy542006

What tri season are you in this year? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Rogillio
Views: 2565 Posts: 57

2010-08-29 2:33 PM furiousferret

What months are considered tri season?

Started by amills1210
Views: 976 Posts: 22

2009-09-26 11:38 PM msmogreen

Transition from tri-season to run-season?

Started by jessm
Views: 763 Posts: 4

2009-08-15 7:16 AM jessm

Having a go at it in one month

Started by mwdowns
Views: 870 Posts: 5

2005-08-07 10:06 AM PrimeCase
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : March 21, 2005
author : Ontherun
Until last year an Ironman was just a dream. Now it has become a goal. I needed to start, but where?

date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.
date : October 12, 2004
author : robinskj
A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
As I have reflected over the Tri season this year, I thought about some of the people that I don’t think I will ever forget.