General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike: Left leg is... slower? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-12 11:36 PM

Subject: Bike: Left leg is... slower?
In single-leg drills, I can't hold the same cadence with my left leg as I can with my right. If I'm spinning at 90-95ish with both legs, I go to the right leg and maintain the same cadence. Switch over to the left, and at the same effort level I'm only hitting 65-70rpm.

So... more single-leg drills?

2015-03-13 5:39 AM
in reply to: runningmon

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Bike: Left leg is... slower?
No, it's one out of two things…. tight hamstrings (making it difficult to get past 12 o'clock) or weak hip flexors (same issue as tight hamstrings), or even more common, a combination of both.

Stretch your hamstrings and do single leg squats, that will help much more than single leg drills. (which I've never found to be very helpful anyways…)
2015-03-13 7:04 AM
in reply to: audiojan

Agree with audiojan, not a believer in the single leg drills. Aside from mobility, tightness issues if you are looking to increase your cadence do more riding at a high cadence.
2015-03-13 7:31 AM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

the key would be to stop doing single leg drills. They aren't helpful.

2015-03-13 7:58 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by audiojan

No, it's one out of two things…. tight hamstrings (making it difficult to get past 12 o'clock) or weak hip flexors (same issue as tight hamstrings), or even more common, a combination of both.

Stretch your hamstrings and do single leg squats, that will help much more than single leg drills. (which I've never found to be very helpful anyways…)

Agree, but there can still be a strength imbalance. Single leg squats are good, but I and people I've trained have had success with single step ups and single leg step up plyometric work. They have begun to help my cycling climbing strength as well. Weak hip flexors are common in a lot of people I see in the gym as well. X2 on that one
2015-03-13 8:00 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by TJHammer
Originally posted by audiojan No, it's one out of two things…. tight hamstrings (making it difficult to get past 12 o'clock) or weak hip flexors (same issue as tight hamstrings), or even more common, a combination of both. Stretch your hamstrings and do single leg squats, that will help much more than single leg drills. (which I've never found to be very helpful anyways&hellip
Agree, but there can still be a strength imbalance. Single leg squats are good, but I and people I've trained have had success with single step ups and single leg step up plyometric work. They have begun to help my cycling climbing strength as well. Weak hip flexors are common in a lot of people I see in the gym as well. X2 on that one

x2 on that ^^

Could also be that one hip is more flexible or open than the other.  Even after paying attention and working on it, I have more flexibility in my left hip than my right. Could be a good idea to go get assessed by a PT someplace, they could point you in the right direction of what to work on.

2015-03-13 12:28 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

That is a pretty big difference from one leg to the other.  Have you had any injuries in the past that might be contributing to this imbalance?  I have a significant imbalance due to a severed hamstring many years ago and some nerve damage suffered more recently.  I do not notice it too much when I ride but it is very apparent when I do single leg drills. 

2015-03-13 9:41 PM
in reply to: #5100420

Thanks all – both hamstrings and the weak hip flexors resonate for sure. I have been working with the PT on my hips for the last few months, although I haven't had an acute injury there at any point.

I am starting to do some single leg squats and step ups, so hopefully that will start getting to the issue as well.
2015-03-14 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
My favorite cycling drill is to put both feet on the pedals and spin with both legs. The faster leg helps the slower leg and in not time at all they're turning at the same speed.
2015-03-14 12:25 PM

So humor me... why no love for the single-leg drills? Even for technique? I always notice the weaknesses in my stroke much more when there's only one leg at a time. Is there a difference in their value for beginning/developing cyclists vs. experienced ones?

It also seems to me like if there's an imbalance between the two legs, eliminating the ability to compensate with the stronger would reinforce building the weaker. (In other words,) why are single-leg squats useful and single-leg spin drills not?
2015-03-14 5:54 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by runningmon

So... more single-leg drills?

As others have said, probably not going to help. Look at the strength/flexibility on that side.

However, to work on coordination, spinups (riding at progressively higher cadences - 3:00 at 100rpm, 2:00 at 110rpm, 30s at 120rpm and 30s max spin as an example), riding undergeared (slight downhill, tailwind, motorpacing) or riding fixed are much better solutions.

Shane

2015-03-14 8:16 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

So humor me... why no love for the single-leg drills? Even for technique? I always notice the weaknesses in my stroke much more when there's only one leg at a time. Is there a difference in their value for beginning/developing cyclists vs. experienced ones?

It also seems to me like if there's an imbalance between the two legs, eliminating the ability to compensate with the stronger would reinforce building the weaker. (In other words,) why are single-leg squats useful and single-leg spin drills not?

You'll never get people to agree. Bottom line is imbalances are bad, and if there ARE PEOPLE with success developing strength in balance or correcting imbalances with certain isolation and strength building exercises, then one really shouldn't dispute
2015-03-14 9:00 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Maybe you can do better with one leg being stronger? (only partially sarcastic about that). Read this...
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/mean-maximal-power-unique...

There's been some studies showing that increasing force on the weaker leg deliberately has an inhibition effect on the stronger leg, so rather than the increased force of the weak leg being additiive it actually decreases the paired power output.

I'd also sugest the high cadence spinning drills as being more helpful than single legged drills.

SLD won't hurt you...but you could be spending your trianing time doing things more effective. Then again, 3 minutes out of an hour once a week is worth testing to see if it helps you out (3 x 1 min each leg).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike: Left leg is... slower? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

WTF I keep getting slower and slower on the bike

Started by flashpoint145
Views: 849 Posts: 4

2011-06-20 10:49 AM xine2kgts

New bike geometry = sore legs, slower times

Started by The Mac
Views: 927 Posts: 4

2007-02-01 3:11 PM bcotten534

Biking - Strange numbness down left leg

Started by luv2flyjrn
Views: 1217 Posts: 5

2006-03-14 7:15 AM CindyK

Why am I so slow on the bike? Pages: 1 2

Started by surfwallace
Views: 3656 Posts: 38

2013-08-06 7:22 PM adelsud

Why am I so slow on the bike?

Started by lablover
Views: 2080 Posts: 24

2005-04-05 8:41 PM runnergirl29
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
At about the 1/2 mile mark my left soleus becomes extremely tight and painful. The pain then progresses into my left arch and then into my left knee.

date : May 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started having trouble a couple months ago with a tightness and almost numbness in my anterior left leg and top of foot during running. It feels sort of dead.