General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting enough sleep the night before a race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-13 11:00 AM

User image

Subject: getting enough sleep the night before a race
Greetings all!
I did a search on this subject but didn't come up with much...sleeping isn't usually a problem for me but the last time I did the NYC Tri in 2013 I had to get up at 3:30am and the night before I couldn't get to sleep until after 10pm. When I do more local races that I can drive to from my home this is a non-issue but the NYC race requires being at the site soooo early. I'm doing it this year again and need some suggestions. I was thinking of taking a benadryl or nyquil the night before to get to bed at 8pm but I don't know how that will effect my performance.
any suggestions or should I just suck it up and get the race done on 5 hours sleep?

2015-03-13 11:07 AM
in reply to: hilltackler

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: getting enough sleep the night before a race

I always concentrate on getting enough sleep 2 nights before the race.  It's almost impossible to get it the night before.  Not only does getting up early mess with your sleep, but for me, all the thoughts of what I need to do before I get out the door, always seem to plague me in the middle of the night.  Oh, I forgot to put sunscreen in my bag!  Did I put in an extra pair of short and a t-shirt for after the race?  Oh, that clear packing tape that I use to mount my numbers, I want to bring that again, and then don't forget scissors, etc etc.  I always have a million little things to worry about the night before a race.  So, the heck with sleep then.  I get it two nights before, and the night after.

I've never felt sleepy before a race.  the adrenaline is flowing!  

so, get whatever you can, don't worry about it, and sleep the night AFTER the race.  you'll have earned it.  

2015-03-13 11:10 AM

I'm not sure I would go the Benadryl or Nyquil route (unless you've practiced it in training). My fear would be that I would either not get up or be to out of it and forget something.

Trying to sleep the night before an event can be tough. I generally have the same problem. One thing my coach has stressed to me is to make sure I get enough rest and sleep in the days leading up to the race. That way when you do have problems sleeping the night before at least your body will be rested. You may still wake up groggy but like I said, the body will be rested.

I ran the NYC marathon last fall and while it was hard to go to bed early in the days leading up to the race (we were there on vacation as well), I hardly slept the night before the race (I was afraid I would miss the ferry and my start time). I was fine that morning and felt rested despite the lack of sleep the night before.
2015-03-13 11:17 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by morey000

I always concentrate on getting enough sleep 2 nights before the race.  It's almost impossible to get it the night before.  Not only does getting up early mess with your sleep, but for me, all the thoughts of what I need to do before I get out the door, always seem to plague me in the middle of the night.  Oh, I forgot to put sunscreen in my bag!  Did I put in an extra pair of short and a t-shirt for after the race?  Oh, that clear packing tape that I use to mount my numbers, I want to bring that again, and then don't forget scissors, etc etc.  I always have a million little things to worry about the night before a race.  So, the heck with sleep then.  I get it two nights before, and the night after.

so, get whatever you can, don't worry about it, and sleep the night AFTER the race.  you'll have earned it.  

I agree with this completely.  2 nights before is critical, because you know the night before is going to be rough.  

2015-03-13 12:00 PM

I would skip any "sleep" aids even if you have tried them previously. The best course of action is to have all your gear packed, clothes ready & get to bed as early as possible. You probably won't have the best night sleep every anyway because you will be nervous or excited for the next day. More important is getting good sleep leading up to the event. Getting good sleep for the nights prior to the night before your race is the best course of action.
2015-03-13 12:06 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by morey000

I agree with this completely.  2 nights before is critical, because you know the night before is going to be rough.  

x2 

I've actually had some of my best races when I barely got any sleep the night before.

I'd also recommend against taking anything as a sleep aid the night before, though I have had a couple of glasses of red wine with dinner the night before.

Mark

2015-03-13 12:20 PM

User image

Exton, PA
I think those are banned as PED's(not positive).

Not that age groupers care about the rules
2015-03-13 12:41 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

, North Carolina
If I am racing on Saturday, I try to get good sleep on Wednesday & Thursday. Friday isn't as important if you get a good nights sleep on Wednesday and Thursday.
2015-03-13 12:41 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

, North Carolina
If I am racing on Saturday, I try to get good sleep on Wednesday & Thursday. Friday isn't as important if you get a good nights sleep on Wednesday and Thursday.
2015-03-13 5:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Banned or not, would NOT advise any sleep aids or other meds that have that as a side effect. I've done a couple of races where due to cold or allergies, I had no choice but to take them the night before (so I could breathe, and have any hope of getting any sleep) and it definitely had an effect on the race the following day. As others have said, you might be so out of it you fail to wake up, or forget something, or, at best, have a sluggish race. Poor or limited sleep (as opposed to no sleep) the night before usually has little effect; it really is your sleep two nights before that matters more.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-03-13 5:54 PM
2015-03-13 6:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

All my races are on Saturday.  I focus on getting to bed early Wednesday and Thursday night.  I have found that by doing this I do not stress over how I sleep Friday night.  Funny thing.  Without the stress of thinking I have to get a good night's rest I usually end up sleeping quite well Friday too.

Edited by popsracer 2015-03-13 6:16 PM

2015-03-13 6:19 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Another option would be to "practice" getting to bed earlier for a few nights leading up to the race (if you can swing it). If the race is on Saturday, try getting to bed a bit earlier on M-R, maybe working back from 10 p.m. to 8:00 if that's your target time . You can also work on getting up a bit earlier each morning leading up to the race. That might allow you to make a more gradual transition to getting up early.
2015-03-13 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Definitely what the others said. I always focused on 2 nights before. And as some said even more nights. One night of 4-5 hours sleep is not going to negatively impact your performance on race day. But a week of limited sleep will.
I'd also avoid any aids and meds etc. You never know how those would affect on you race day.

Adrenaline will more than compensate for any 'lack' of sleep!
2015-03-14 1:29 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
the best formula I've found to get to sleep prior to a race, is (a) allow plenty of time to get dinner done, and into bed. (b) I take a melatonin sleep-aid and it has worked pretty well

I find anxiety is increased by procrastinating on your race prep. Don't do things too late. this is what messes you up.
Have EVERYTHING laid out and ready to go, checklists and all that.

Also don't overdo the race warmup day. Get things done early and chill.

2015-03-14 7:53 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
As pointed out, the night before is not that important unless you have not tapered and slept enough the week before.

During my taper week, I use the extra time to sleep.... go to bed early and sleep in an extra hour in the morning (if possible, which is should be if you ever train in the morning). 3 days before, I start drinking lots of water, 2 days before, I add sports drink (to make sure I have enough electrolytes) and the day before is eating every 3 hours of so (depending if I'm traveling or not, if I am, it's easy enough to pack a light snack for the flight or drive).
2015-03-15 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by hilltackler [...]should I just suck it up and get the race done on 5 hours sleep?

Five hours is more than enough.  I think I might have gotten four hours total the night before IMWI last year, and that was fitful at best.  

I imagine the NYC tri is something like the Chicago Triathlon, where you have to check in stupid early and then hurry up and wait until your wave starts.  Bring a blanket and a pillow and find a spot to nap or just relax while you wait, then either throw it away or have your sherpa hold on to it for you.

Regarding sleep aids, I downloaded the Relax Melodies app from Amazon's appstore.  It has has lots of different "white noise" sounds, like rain or crickets, that you can combine as you like.  It also has "binaural beats," which are supposed to help relaxation and sleep.  I use it from time to time when I'm restless, and it always helps me fall asleep.  It's very soothing and helps quiet a busy mind.

2015-03-15 3:19 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I agree with the 2 nights before. I was having issues before a race last year & took a half of a melatonin (sp).
2015-03-15 3:40 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA
I would suggest trying your meds the night before an early morning training session to see what effect it has on you?
2015-03-16 1:14 AM

Originally posted by hilltackler

or should I just suck it up and get the race done on 5 hours sleep?

Yup. That's probably what most competitors are getting, especially for the big races e.g IM where transition opens as early as 4.30am. I just try and get to bed early and aim for 4 or 5 hours sleep. If you start stressing that you're not getting your 7.5 hours, you'll never get to sleep.
2015-03-16 3:18 PM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

Thanks for all the replies. So the take home message is sleep enough the week, especially the 2 nights prior to race. And thanks for reminder to start hydrating a few days before the race too.

I think where I went wrong last time is that I went to dinner too late the night prior to the race. So this year I am planning on an early bird dinner and in bed no later than 830:-9pm, this way I can relax even though I may not sleep right away.
Cheers!
2015-03-16 7:42 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Originally posted by metafizx

the best formula I've found to get to sleep prior to a race, is (a) allow plenty of time to get dinner done, and into bed. (b) I take a melatonin sleep-aid and it has worked pretty well

I find anxiety is increased by procrastinating on your race prep. Don't do things too late. this is what messes you up.
Have EVERYTHING laid out and ready to go, checklists and all that.

Also don't overdo the race warmup day. Get things done early and chill.

I'll try this, I have not tried sleeping aids at all in my entire life. My experience is that local race, out of town race, easy, or hard, I still could not sleep the night before.

2015-03-16 7:43 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Originally posted by audiojan

As pointed out, the night before is not that important unless you have not tapered and slept enough the week before.

During my taper week, I use the extra time to sleep.... go to bed early and sleep in an extra hour in the morning (if possible, which is should be if you ever train in the morning). 3 days before, I start drinking lots of water, 2 days before, I add sports drink (to make sure I have enough electrolytes) and the day before is eating every 3 hours of so (depending if I'm traveling or not, if I am, it's easy enough to pack a light snack for the flight or drive).

This makes sense!
2015-03-19 9:53 AM

User image

Races start way too early for me, too. I gave up worrying about it, and don't even try for a full night's sleep. I get more or less alert with a warmup, and a few seconds after the start I'm wide awake for the race and a few hours more.

One advantage is that with a shorter than normal night, I can grab a meal just before bed and have a small snack in the morning.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting enough sleep the night before a race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Not getting enough sleep Pages: 1 2

Started by Stuartap
Views: 4318 Posts: 37

2015-01-10 7:49 AM ok2try

Great Sleep the Night after you race

Started by BuckHamilton
Views: 1094 Posts: 12

2014-08-20 8:01 AM Patrick E

Sleeping pills night before race? Pages: 1 2

Started by pistuo
Views: 6863 Posts: 26

2010-08-28 8:27 PM Shoeless

Ever get enough sleep before a race?

Started by bootygirl
Views: 1081 Posts: 6

2007-10-08 6:57 PM Artemis

Sleeping the night before a big race! Pages: 1 2

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 2249 Posts: 28

2005-03-25 1:57 PM GatorGirl22
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.