General Discussion Triathlon Talk » layering sprint race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-13 3:21 PM

User image

Subject: layering sprint race
Hello BT,

My SECOND sprint tri(ALL WOMEN) is NEXT MONTH. My FIRST sprint tri was a reverse run/bike/swim.

MY SECOND sprint tri is SWIM/BIKE/RUN. I will be wearing swimsuit for the swim portion. Do I wear my tri shorts during or after the swim? Do you dry off with a towel during transition? Where do I pin the bib? I usually apply an anti-chaffing cream, does it washed off during the swim?

The weather is about 66C (according to last year's race). Is the saddle going to be wet because of the wet swimsuit? Do I need another layer of clothing to keep me warm?

Thank you

2015-03-13 3:33 PM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: layering sprint race

Hi there,

Most people usually wear a tri suit (either one piece or tri shorts and top) for the whole event so there is no changing needed and it will dry out quickly on the bike.

If you attach your number to a race belt then you put it on after the swim (number on the rear) then at the start of the run turn it around so your number is facing forwards.

You will need to decide whether you need extra layers for the temperature on the day.  Races that I have done when it is colder I have put arm warmers on before the bike, which only adds an extra few seconds to T1.

2015-03-13 5:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Swimsuit for the swim? Do you have a trisuit or tri-shorts and top so you don't have to change? Or just slip on the tri-shorts after the swim, I suppose.

Yes, you can quickly dry off in transition.

Pin the bib to a race belt for the run and then all you have to do is put on your belt in transition (T2).

Your cream should hold just fine in a sprint swim.

Your seat might be slightly wet when you ride out of T1 but everything dries quickly.

66C or 66F?? I'm guessing 66 F. At that temp, riding out of T1 and wet could be a bit cool. I would simulate this to see how cold it is for you personally and how quickly you warm up. I've ridden out of T1's fairly cold, but warm up within 10 miles of a longer tri. So, practice first to see what works for you. You might need arm warmers for example and then take them off after a few miles.

Edited by joestop74 2015-03-13 5:02 PM
2015-03-13 7:55 PM
in reply to: #5100572

User image

, North Carolina
What's the water temp supposed to be? If air Temps are that low it might be a wet suit legal race.

The only thing I bought for my first tri's was a tri suit bottom. Wore it out training in it on the swim and bike.

I had a cycling jersey I put on in t1. It didn't go all the way down for the first few miles.

At 66degrees I would need something on my arms.

To me a MOPer to BOPer the 30 seconds to a min added to t1 to be comfortable on the bike are worth it.

2015-03-13 9:40 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Veteran
Great White North
66 is 18.8C... temps that low!?!? Raced As low as 5C, and early season races are around 10C ... usually go with trisuit and toe covers on the bike shoes.

It's a comfort thing at 66 to 'need' to cover ... racing is all about discomfort. Completion on the other hand is not. I would suggest do what feels right if your goal is to finish. If you have time and place goals then be ready to step outside the comfort zone.
2015-03-13 10:14 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

ooops sorry it will be 66F NOT 66C

2015-03-13 10:18 PM

User image

I also forgot to mention that it's an INDOOR POOL.
2015-03-14 6:30 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

Originally posted by Phebes ooops sorry it will be 66F NOT 66C

This is relatively warm in my opinion.  Perhaps a little cold as you are wet out of T1 but other than that a really nice temperature to race at.  Lets not forget though that this was last year - not necessarily an indication of what it will be this year.  Make sure you have an idea of what you will wear in other conditions - what if it is much cooler, heavy rain, a strong cool wind etc.

2015-03-14 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
My first tri was a similar set up. I wore my swimsuit for the swim (in the pool) and then in transition area pulled on a Tshirt (which already had my number pinned to it) and some three quarter leggings. I wasn't brave enough to wear shorts at that point in my tri career! I wore all that for the rest of the race.
I suppose it depends if you think you will get uncomfortable riding and running in a swim suit - if you do decide then practice it a couple of times first.
IMO you don't need all the special stuff for your first few races. When/if you know this is a long term hobby then tri shorts and top (with built in support is great) and race belt is the way to go
2015-03-14 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
You definitely can wear your tri shorts for the swim. I'd recommend it as getting on something tight while you're wet is tough.
I would not want to wear a swimsuit under a tri suit- I think I would chafe like crazy. If you don't have a tri top and don't want to buy one, you might just wear a (dark-colored) sports bra with your shorts for the swim, then put on a shirt in T1.
Something like Body Glide will stay on during the swim, not sure about other chaffing creams. Do you need it for the distance you're covering on race day?
Good luck!
2015-03-15 6:59 PM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Veteran
Great White North
18 to 19 C and indoor swim... practically tropical.

2015-03-16 4:27 PM

User image

I'm definite that I won't be wearing swimsuit throughout the race

Edited by Phebes 2015-03-16 4:27 PM
2015-03-16 4:32 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Originally posted by chayes

You definitely can wear your tri shorts for the swim. I'd recommend it as getting on something tight while you're wet is tough.
I would not want to wear a swimsuit under a tri suit- I think I would chafe like crazy. If you don't have a tri top and don't want to buy one, you might just wear a (dark-colored) sports bra with your shorts for the swim, then put on a shirt in T1.
Something like Body Glide will stay on during the swim, not sure about other chaffing creams. Do you need it for the distance you're covering on race day?
Good luck!

The swim portion will go by average swim speed, so I'll probably be one of the last participants to jump in the pool. Wearing the shorts will save me time in T1.

I used chafing cream on my first tri, the distance is only 10 miles.
2015-03-16 4:35 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Originally posted by simpsonbo

18 to 19 C and indoor swim... practically tropical.

I'm somewhat new here in the US. I lived on tropical weather ( 80F all year round) most of life
2015-03-16 8:17 PM

User image

, North Carolina
That's the thing about Temps. Someone from Canada might precive 66 much differently than someone from Arizona. Best you can do it try different things in training.
2015-03-16 11:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Perception may vary. If you feel cold at 18c thats called discomfort. I have trained in temps that can cause serious problems or death if you don't dress properly ie below -30c

2015-03-17 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Agree. I am one of the coldest-blooded people I've ever met and I would not layer up for those conditions. I would start to think about it if temps were below about 58 or so, definitely if below 55, especially if it was cloudy/windy and it wasn't likely to warm up much on the course. It probably is a matter of comfort down to some level, but if I'm shivering too hard, my ability to control the bike can be compromised. I would invest in a tri suit or tri shorts (if you wear a sports bra on top for the swim), as I find biking and running in a swimsuit really uncomfortable, even for a sprint, both physically and in terms of feeling too exposed. I know some women do the whole race in a swimsuit, but not me! There isn't a huge difference between a swimsuit and a tri suit, but what difference there is (more coverage for upper legs than most swimsuits, a little padding in the rear) might matter for your comfort level. At any rate, if you don't end up doing a lot of tris, the shorts are still nice for running, biking, or gym workouts.

If conditions are colder than expected, or you really can't stand the "cold" due to being tropical, then I've found that a long-sleeved surf shirt that's form-fitting but not too tight makes a nice layer for the bike (and run if needed). It goes on well when wet, presumably because surfers are usually wet. Mine has a neck zipper so I can pull down the zipper and push up the sleeves if I get warm. I've probably done more biking and running in that shirt than swimming or (body) surfing! I've also had good luck with a thin merino wool top with a neck zipper for somewhat colder conditions--again, goes on better than cotton and a lot of tech fabrics, provides warmth when wet, and not overly warm.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-03-17 7:27 AM
2015-03-18 12:05 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

I've done a few tris with that setup (indoor pool swim) but were colder outside.

I don't own a trisuit, but some people were wearing them. I wore just a swimsuit in the pool with my sports-bra underneath (although frankly I could probably have run without it). In transition I pulled on tri shorts or capris and a top over the swim suit. I had my number on a race belt for the bike and run.

Actually for my very first one they had a change tent, so I changed out of my swim suit and into my bike/run clothes. Not a great idea-- took too long.
2015-03-20 3:44 PM

User image

Thank you all for your response.

I do like the idea of sports bra under a swimsuit , which will cover more skin

The surf shirt sounds good after the swim cause I don't know how it feels when part of your body is still wet after the swim. I will probably do a brick training wearing these apparel to see if I can stand the cold temperature.
2015-03-20 4:01 PM

, Ontario
At that temp, I wear a sports bra and tri shorts under a swimsuit. In t1 I pull off the swimsuit and pull on a t-shirt that has my number clipped on if I'm not using a race number belt. I bike and run in the same outfit. I find the first 5 min on the bike to be a bit chilly because I'm wet (I don't take time to dry off) but I'm always warm enough for the rest of the bike and run. It's all a matter of preference so good luck figuring out what you prefer
2015-03-21 6:38 AM
in reply to: CarolynS

User image

Originally posted by CarolynS

At that temp, I wear a sports bra and tri shorts under a swimsuit. In t1 I pull off the swimsuit and pull on a t-shirt that has my number clipped on if I'm not using a race number belt. I bike and run in the same outfit. I find the first 5 min on the bike to be a bit chilly because I'm wet (I don't take time to dry off) but I'm always warm enough for the rest of the bike and run. It's all a matter of preference so good luck figuring out what you prefer

This is a cool idea too, will try this for practice! I think it's faster to take the apparel off than put them on after the swim and more skin covered!

2015-03-26 4:05 AM

User image

Thanks for all for your tips. I did a swim/bike/run brick yesterday. I wore a sports bra and tri shorts under swimsuit (took swimsuit off after the swim) I was cold when I got off the pool , so I wore a long sleeves shirt. By the time I ran, I was uncomfortably hot. It was 68F yesterday. The tri shorts kept me warm during the bike although I did not dry off very well.

I will keep trying various clothes combo to prepare for my 2nd sprint tri next month..

Edited by Phebes 2015-03-26 4:09 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » layering sprint race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Racing etiquette for sprinting/passing at end of race Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by jaja63
Views: 10466 Posts: 93

2012-08-09 9:49 PM peewee

Winter jacket - heavy v layer

Started by Graycat
Views: 1403 Posts: 12

2010-12-10 9:28 AM LostSheep

Relay Swimmer & Sprint Race Same race?

Started by b2673ad
Views: 816 Posts: 6

2010-04-05 12:23 PM gibboweiser

Pre-Race and Race Hydration for Sprint Races

Started by ut_tri_465
Views: 1669 Posts: 4

2007-06-18 5:16 PM RBRMIKE

Human Race / Eton Sprint

Started by andyc
Views: 562 Posts: 1

2005-04-11 10:16 AM andyc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : December 17, 2007
author : AMSSM
Learn how to choose appropriate gear for warmth and safety. With proper clothing and exercise adjustments, you can enjoy a season of safe, effective and fun training!

date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.
date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.