General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heavy legs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-16 2:30 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: Heavy legs
2nd year of tri-ing (sprints only, so far) and things are going great, making progress on all fronts and have lots of energy. One problem though, I have recently introduced longer (for me) workouts (now that Spring is here and I can ride and run outside) and that's great but my legs hurt afterwards. No injury or a particular place they hurt but all over, very heavy. Rode my bike for 1:40 on Saturday (that's the longest I have ever exerciced at a sustained pace, ever, in my whole life) and the pain kept me awake at night. Felt better yesterday afternoon so I went on my planned 10k (that's an hour for me) and same again, could not sleep last night. What's that all about?

2015-03-16 4:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Heavy legs
Sometimes my sleep is interrupted the night following an intense or long workout. Usually it's due to stiffness or soreness. I have found that foam rolling helps me with this pain, so I have been foam rolling twice a day during my marathon training this year. In the past I've been lazy with it and my sleep is all over the place. Do you own a foam roller or rolling stick? You could also be feeling it because you transitioned to the roads. Riding and running outside takes a lot more out of you, and there is an adjustment period.

Edited by jarvy01 2015-03-16 4:46 AM
2015-03-16 5:01 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for your reply
I don't own of foam roller but I keep reading about it, I guess I will have to get one (and use it!)

2015-03-16 5:28 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It's very important that you rehydrate and refuel right after a long workout session. Chocolate milk works amazingly well (in your case, O'Boy) as it contains proteins, carbs and fats (and you do need those). Then drink plenty of fluids during the day. Dehydration can easily interrupt sleep pattern.
2015-03-16 5:45 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks. Noted. Although I Think I already did that. Not chocolate milk though that must be it

2015-03-16 7:00 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
First, you want to make sure that you are gradually increasing total volume and length of long workouts rather than suddenly jumping up all at once, just because you "can" and the weather's getting better. Also, make sure you are getting an adequate cooldown after a long or hard workout. If possible, get off your feet as much as possible afterward, particularly after a long run. If I'm really exhausted after a long run or brick (esp. in the heat) I sometimes take a short nap. Even 30-60 minutes leaves me feeling refreshed and less sore, and does not affect my sleep at night. I often do my long run (which usually includes some speedwork, and is done in pretty brutal heat/humidity) on Saturday AM before a longer PM swim workout, due to time and pool hours, and many times, it's that nap that allows me to have a decent swim.

Finally, as others have mentioned, hydration during and after the workout, as well as post-workout nutrition, can really affect recovery speed. Our HS coach swore by the following regime--as soon as possible after the workout (after rehydrating),have some simple carbs and (gasp) caffeine. In a nod to what we now know about recovery, add some protein. I can think of all kinds of tasty ways to get that combo, Mexican mochas being my drug of choice! Then, a few hours later, or whenever you're ready, a proper meal with plenty of protein, fruits, and veggies. I know the addition of caffeine sounds dubious, but it has always worked for me. I'm rarely if ever sore the day after a long or intense workout, and I push it really, really hard in training sometimes. Of course, having a good endurance base helps a lot, but I definitely notice a difference according to how well I follow that system.

2015-03-16 7:45 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

, Kronobergs lan
thanks for your long reply. I must say that I went from one hour average to 1:40hour ride rather abruptly could be that that "killed" me. I have been running an hour or more a few times before so that is not a problem.

I need to start "refueling" rather than just eat or snack after a workout, that's probably what I am doing wrong. Both times I had some yogurt (well, "kvarg", that's the Swedish word and all the sporty kids in my office eat it, as it's high in protein) with a banana right afterwards. Maybe not enough carbs?

2015-03-16 8:05 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Everyone's body is different, but after a 1:40 ride or run, I'd probably be having more than yogurt (or yogurt-like stuff--my German relatives eat something with a similar name) and a banana. Maybe some whole-grain toast with peanut butter and banana and, of course, some coffee, or a bowl of muesli/granola with nuts, fruit, and yogurt. And that would be the snack, not the meal! I think the point was that the body at that point is really not ready for a lot of complex carbs, fat, protein, etc.--you have to address the immediate need for refueling first with simple carbs (like fruit or, for the less health-inclined, chocolate). Somehow caffeine also primes you to better absorb....something. Either that or it has to do with free radicals. His sister was a nutritionist and world class masters runner and I remember there was a rationale for it, I just don't remember anything beyond it's okay to have a coffee or Coke after practice!
2015-03-16 8:11 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

, Kronobergs lan
"eat more" I like that!

OK, will try something like you are suggesting next time, not forgetting the coffee! Thanks!
2015-03-16 8:26 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Here is a repeated tip from Runner world:

Mileage. Although the general rule of thumb is to increase mileage by no more than 10% per week, this is just that—general. It doesn’t apply to everyone. Ultimately, it depends on the mix of variables that make up your life (see below). Runners tend to experience aches and pains or accumulated fatigue three to four weeks post-progression, meaning if you are increasing too much, you won’t necessarily feel it right away, but several weeks later when the fatigue accumulates beyond a tipping point.

This is in response to feeling dead on your feet. The answer they recommend is to have a low volume week. Recovery week if you will. With no high stress sessions.
2015-03-16 8:32 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

, Kronobergs lan
thanks, I just had a "recovery" week a couple of weeks ago as I was not feeling 100% (some flu like virus, much lighter), just Went on short easy runs/rides

2015-03-16 10:06 PM

Yeah, heavy legs is a way of life.

I'm shocked by all the talk of chocolate milk and eating. It's an hour and forty minutes, how do you expect the guy to get down to race weight? Anything under 2 hours and water is just fine.

2015-03-16 10:36 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by ziggie204 Yeah, heavy legs is a way of life. I'm shocked by all the talk of chocolate milk and eating. It's an hour and forty minutes, how do you expect the guy to get down to race weight? Anything under 2 hours and water is just fine.

Water doesn't replenish your glycogen stores. 

idk about all this chocolate milk nonsense.  Fruit seems to work just fine. Fruit, starches, and leafy greens.

2015-03-17 1:06 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hey, don't take away the chocolate milk! I love the idea! LOL! Seriously, at my level, I am not worried about racing weight and after an hour and 40 min (which for me is a long workout), I felt that my body needed something and I tend to listen to my body.
2015-03-17 1:35 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Rollergirl

2nd year of tri-ing (sprints only, so far) and things are going great, making progress on all fronts and have lots of energy. One problem though, I have recently introduced longer (for me) workouts (now that Spring is here and I can ride and run outside) and that's great but my legs hurt afterwards. No injury or a particular place they hurt but all over, very heavy. Rode my bike for 1:40 on Saturday (that's the longest I have ever exerciced at a sustained pace, ever, in my whole life) and the pain kept me awake at night. Felt better yesterday afternoon so I went on my planned 10k (that's an hour for me) and same again, could not sleep last night. What's that all about?

It's all about recovery. doing your longest ride ever at a "sustained" pace follwed by ?24 hrs of rest after being awake with pain all night is not a proper set up to go out and run a "planned" 10k. The calendar doesn't know how your body will respond, so youneed to be in charge of your shcedule, don't let the schedule be in charge of you.

Take 2 days easy, with stretching then resume the next 2 days at 50% planned and see how you feel. If you don't feel bursting with energy plan a few more alternating easy with half days till your legs don't hurt. Pain isn't normal especailly the kind that keeps you up at night.
2015-03-17 4:19 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for your input. I was fine on Sunday afternoon, really, that's why I decided to go ahead with the run. The pain that I experienced at night had disappeared. I have learnt the hard way not to ignore the signs my body sends and I would not have run 1k had I still been in pain.

2015-03-17 7:21 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Thanks for your input. I was fine on Sunday afternoon, really, that's why I decided to go ahead with the run. The pain that I experienced at night had disappeared. I have learnt the hard way not to ignore the signs my body sends and I would not have run 1k had I still been in pain.

Next time you can experiment with taking an extra day of rest. The night pain is a strong message that you need rest. Your body doesn't want to keep screaming it constantly.
2015-03-17 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Hey, don't take away the chocolate milk! I love the idea! LOL! Seriously, at my level, I am not worried about racing weight and after an hour and 40 min (which for me is a long workout), I felt that my body needed something and I tend to listen to my body.

Haha. yeah, every body is different. I get bad headaches if I go more than 1.5 hrs without eating something in training.
It's definitely different working out outside- roads are a lot tougher on your legs than a treadmill, and on the bike you're constantly surging and coasting, unless you're riding in a totally flat place. I also find that when it warms up I'm so happy to be outside that I really push the pace, which of course leads to more pain.
Enjoy your chocolate milk!
2015-03-18 1:28 AM
in reply to: chayes

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for the replies. So in summary: rest foam, roller and..... Chocolate milk!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heavy legs Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heavy Legs Runs?

Started by morey000
Views: 903 Posts: 9

2014-01-31 9:41 AM brigby1

heavy legs/dead legs

Started by clgswisher
Views: 1137 Posts: 3

2012-07-31 4:22 PM agarose2000

Heavy legs in swim after run?

Started by timf79
Views: 863 Posts: 6

2012-07-17 8:41 PM timf79

Heavy legs?

Started by kirbde
Views: 584 Posts: 2

2011-01-03 4:07 PM Micawber

Heavy legs during run

Started by Daugela
Views: 2379 Posts: 8

2007-03-09 9:40 AM Daugela
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 25, 2014
author : NickSuffredin
comments : 1
What should you do if you train in hot weather and you sweat a lot? Do you drink more water, more sports drink...what about electrolyte supplements? Use this guide to enhance your training.

date : August 13, 2014
author : Enduropacks.com
comments : 4
I drink during my runs but I am a profuse sweater and it seems like I just can't keep up with my fluid needs. Would it be helpful to switch to an electrolyte drink for my fluid needs?
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?
date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
I have a sore muscle or nerve on the front of my right leg, from above my knee to waist area, with most of the pain in the middle of my leg. After a run or long walk it starts getting sore.

date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.
date : September 25, 2007
author : mrakes1
Are you a heavy sweater? Do you finish a race covered in white-streaks? Do you cramp during a race? Than this article is for you.

date : June 14, 2005
author : docgill
comments : 10
One year ago I was 90 pounds heavier and dreaming of being able to walk without a wobble. I never considered doing a triathlon.