General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Profile Design Seat post on road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-17 5:27 AM

Subject: Profile Design Seat post on road bike
A few months ago I bought a new bike, a Principia Evolution road bike.
The reason that I chose to buy a road bike instead of a TT, is that I wanted a more versatile bike.

My plans was to mount a pair of aerobars on the bike, a maybe also another seat post like this one from Profile Design

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/profile-fast-forward-al-seat-post/...

Because when I take a trip by my self, I would like to use the aerobars, that's why I think such a seat post could help me get a better position on the bike.
But when going on some trips with some of my friends, I would like to ride the bike in a normal way.

Here goes my question: If I fit such a seat post to my bike, and i'm not using aerobars. Will that affect my positioning on the bike, in a negative way.

Looking forward to get some help.

2015-03-17 5:40 AM
in reply to: grabovac

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Profile Design Seat post on road bike
My no so humble opinion... This is one of those things that should never been designed... It completely throughs off the balance of the bike.

Instead of trying to fit you to the aero bars, buy aero bars that can be fitted to you. In a fitting session, the first parameter you establish is the riders position in relationship to the bottom bracket. Then you adjust everything from that central point. The FF seat post throughs that completely out the window.
2015-03-17 6:16 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I disagree with audiojan on where the positioning begins ON A TRI BIKE, but I totally agree that the FF post is an abomination that should never have existed. I went through all those "pioneering days", and while we attained some pretty aerodynamic positions on modified road bikes... well, to say that they were more than a handful to keep on the road would be the British gift of understatement. It got downright scary.

Okay, so to your specific question -- having the FF post and no aero bars... You'll have one of two things happening: (1) Your reach to the bars will be so short, and your weight so far forward of the saddle, that you'll be basically sitting bolt-upright, or (2) you'll get a REALLY long stem to get the reach right, but your weight will still be far forward and your arms/hands will be holding you up. Neither one of these things is good.

My suggestion is this: Set up your road riding position, then add a set of shortie aero bars that will help you get a little lower (more in line with your body in the same position as riding the drops), and much more narrow. That will get you 80-90% of the way there.

Moving your weight forward on a bike that wasn't designed around that position does bad things.

2015-03-17 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
I ran into a fit issue with a FF post. The road bike I mated the post to had a compact frame. The top tube sloped down from the head tube to the seat tube. When I tried to use the FF post on my other bike with a horizontal top tube, the post was too high. The post was inserted as far as it could go. This is a warning that the post might not have the vertical range for you depending on how low you normally have your seat post, and the geometry of the frame.

I also noticed a slight difference in bike handling when riding FF post and drop bars. When the rear tire was slowly losing air on one ride, the bike was fishtailing. It felt unnerving.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Profile Design Seat post on road bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Forward seat post on a Road bike

Started by KimaFit
Views: 490 Posts: 2

2009-01-26 8:27 AM Bronwyn1968

Profile Design Fast Forard seat post

Started by bicycling_forever
Views: 652 Posts: 3

2007-04-01 4:57 PM bicycling_forever

Profile Design Fast Forward Seat Post

Started by bearvb
Views: 554 Posts: 1

2006-03-21 7:43 AM bearvb

Profile design fast forward seat posts

Started by johnvick
Views: 886 Posts: 5

2005-10-31 6:53 AM Daremo

Stock Road bike that's fitted with aero bars and forward seat post

Started by olddskool
Views: 1467 Posts: 7

2005-01-24 10:54 PM GasMunky
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 17, 2013
author : GaryRM
comments : 5
A mini-review of Profile Design's Tri Stryke saddle.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : August 7, 2009
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : August 5, 2008
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?

date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
A brief history on aero bar evolution with a review on the bars that I own and love.

date : September 5, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 12
When people think of hydration in the aero position, the first name that comes to mind is the Aerodrink from Profile Design. I was expecting a pretty quick and breezy review of this water bottle.