General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wrecked my wheels. Looking for knowledge. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-17 9:21 AM

Subject: Wrecked my wheels. Looking for knowledge.
tl:dr
I wrecked my wheels taking a turn too fast and need help finding the right replacements for an 11 speed cervelo.

--------

I've done a little searching and I don't know if I'm not looking in the right places or if I'm asking the wrong questions. I hit a curb on a new-to-me tri bike, live and learn, and damaged my rims. The front tire is completely blown and the rim looks damaged beyond repair. The back is just a little bent, I think I can work with it, but eventually I'll want to replace them both I think.

I'm planning on using the front wheel from another bike for the time being and replacing the tube on the back tire. I'll buy a new front rim and a new set of tires for the medium term to get it rolling again. My question is about replacing the back rim. This bike is a second hand Cervelo P3 with an 11 speed ultegra set. What do I need to do to make sure I get the right wheel? I'm pretty handy with a wrench but I'll need to learn anything I need to do for repairs.

Any suggestions I could get about what particular rims or tires I should be looking at would also be really useful. I'm not sure if I should spend a little extra money to get decent rims, or get some regular trainers and hold off on getting better wheels for races later. I would guess I'm leaving out information but I don't know enough to know what it is.

If you want the whole story of the wreck I could give you that too, those are always fun.

Edited by crashtopher 2015-03-17 9:22 AM

2015-03-17 10:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Wrecked my wheels. Looking for knowledge.

You've mixed the terms "rim" and "wheel", so I'm a little confused as to what you're really asking. But I'll toss out some info anyway.

You can most likely replace the rim without issue, but if the ERD (effective rim diameter -- the diameter of the where the spoke nipple rests) is different, you'll need to replace the spokes as well. If you replace it with the SAME make/model rim, or another one with the same ERD, you should be able to tape the new rim next to the old one (lining up the valve hole), and then just move the spokes/nipples from one rim to the other, moving around the rim. Be sure to loosen all the spokes most of the way (a couple turns at a time) before you do this -- DON'T try to just completely unwind each spoke individually. Then it's just a matter of patience and being methodical to get the wheel tensioned, round, and true. I STRONGLY suggest having a truing stand to do this. It can be done using the brake pads on the bike, and flipping the wheel often to make sure the rim stays centered, but it's not ideal and can give varying results.

Having a shop do this is generally not economically feasible -- it'd be cheaper to just replace the wheel (which may be what you're asking).

Truing up the rear wheel may just be a matter of doing some loosening and then re-tensioning to bring it back straight, round, and fully tensioned. But it may be bent more than this process will allow and remain a strong and durable wheel.

As for what wheels/rims? The world is your oyster there. I'd suggest some mid-weight, durable workhorse rims on likewise durable hubs (Shimano 105/Ultegra are great). I used to suggest Mavic Open 4CD/Open Pro (are these even still made? I have no idea), but there are so many now that it's just mind boggling. Bikehubstore.com has some great selections and good prices on their hubs and rims. They've got some nice 23mm wide rims that are all the rage, but be careful about the wider rims -- they may boost your tire profile beyond the clearance in your frame (23's get a width of something more like a 25).

After you've got the workhorse wheels squared away, you can look at things like a deep race front wheel and a rear cover.

Just my opinions. Hope that helps.

Edited by briderdt 2015-03-17 10:40 AM
2015-03-17 9:52 PM
in reply to: #5101381

Thanks for the reply. It gave me a couple footholds to do some research. I think I'm going to end up with a set of mavic aksiums.
2015-03-24 9:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

crashtopher, I've got a spare set of Felt TTR2 wheels that are 40mm deep, the rear was rebuilt with a FLO 11-spd hub and I have a DIY made disc cover for the rear.  If they sounds interesting to you take a look here for more info & pic's.

Edited by Donto 2015-03-24 9:05 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wrecked my wheels. Looking for knowledge. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Compression calf sleeves - share the knowledge please?

Started by TriDB
Views: 4716 Posts: 16

2013-02-05 12:02 PM TriDB

Wheels wheels wheels

Started by WyattEarp
Views: 1587 Posts: 4

2011-08-12 10:52 AM moldoverb

Look vs Look Keo Pedals

Started by Artemis
Views: 879 Posts: 8

2008-06-13 8:48 PM jpeek29208

Wrecked my brand new bike >:0

Started by buckethead
Views: 1818 Posts: 8

2008-06-06 2:07 PM dcrainey

Bike Wrecks and Bent Forks

Started by sranney
Views: 813 Posts: 4

2005-04-16 9:21 PM sranney
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?
date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.