General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-17 1:39 PM

Subject: Chicago run
In May I will be in Chicago for three days for work. I have never been to the city and would like to get in a nice run one evening (8-10 miles). I am staying by O'Hare airport.

Couple questions
1. Is there a nice waterfront to run at?
2. Is the area safe, I plan to be back to the hotel before dark?
3. If I am staying in a hotel by O'Hare, what is the best way to get to the running location if I don't have a rental car?

I only have one open evening so I want to go to the best location.

2015-03-17 2:00 PM
in reply to: tjudson

Subject: RE: Chicago run
The lake front trail is the best (in my opinion) and most popular place to run! It is a flat, 20ish mile strip of bike path along lake Michigan. It is really beautiful!

From O'Hare, you can catch the Blue Line CTA train to Clark and Lake. When you get off there, run east a few blocks and you will find the lake. There will be plenty of people around to ask for directions. You can run either direction on the path and it is safe (even in the dark). North is more interesting though so I would head north.
2015-03-17 9:05 PM

O'Hare is nowhere near downtown and the lakefront. It's kinda like staying near LaGuardia and wanting to run in Central Park.. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the O'Hare area other than the airport parking lot and the terminals, but there has to be some decent areas not too far away.
2015-03-18 9:44 AM

User image

over a barrier
Ohare into the loop is 45' each way min on the blue line.

You might want to consider running on the trails at Busse Woods. You could use Uber or something to get there.

Going into the city, from Ohare, just to run for 90 mins seems like a wasted evening to me...but I live here.
2015-03-19 8:29 AM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by running2far

Ohare into the loop is 45' each way min on the blue line.

You might want to consider running on the trails at Busse Woods. You could use Uber or something to get there.

Going into the city, from Ohare, just to run for 90 mins seems like a wasted evening to me...but I live here.

I live by Busse wood and it's great for biking/running. However, it still is a good 15 -20 minutes West of Ohare. I believe there is a forest preserve off of Cumberland Ave and that is much closer to OHare if you wanted to run outside. Check it out.
2015-03-19 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Timely discussion! I'll be in Great Lakes in April and have a 20 (or 14) mile run scheduled that weekend. I've wondered about running the waterfront. We'll be in Chicago on Saturday anyway. The down side is making my husband figure out something to do for a few hours while I run.

2015-03-19 12:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Timely discussion! I'll be in Great Lakes in April and have a 20 (or 14) mile run scheduled that weekend. I've wondered about running the waterfront. We'll be in Chicago on Saturday anyway. The down side is making my husband figure out something to do for a few hours while I run.

The area is beautiful, whether or not you are running. He can check out any of the amazing architecture, art, museums, restaurants etc, etc. He could also take the L on the loop route. It just circles around the business district.  I got drinks with Tony and Monica and then did the architectural tour by boat. That's my favorite option  

Only tip, try to avoid the L after midnight  

So, to the OP, it's absolutely worth it to head downtown and run if you have the time, but I think it takes about 45 minutes  one way from O'hare or so? 

Another option would just be to look at a map, find a park near O'hare and go run there...

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-03-19 12:34 PM
2015-03-19 12:45 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

The Des Plaines River Trail runs fairly close to O'Hare, but that far south I don't know any of the woods sections or the DPR trail itself. Been on all of Lake County, but only the most northern few miles of Cook County. Wouldn't expect a wide open lake, but it's trees and a waterway.

2015-03-19 5:21 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I know busse woods you can not run there after dark. I got a ride from a cop so she did not have to hunt me down and ticket me. If its the day it is a nice place I have run there a lot.
2015-04-06 11:21 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Originally posted by rrrunner

Running along the lakefront is gorgeous. You won't be disappointed! Enjoy!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Share Your Soles 10k charity run Chicago

Started by markz
Views: 466 Posts: 1

2007-05-08 5:09 PM markz

Share Your Soles 10k run in Chicago

Started by markz
Views: 1081 Posts: 1

2007-05-05 9:01 PM markz

Running in Chicago?

Started by huskyboy
Views: 645 Posts: 11

2007-05-02 9:22 PM tjtryon

Places to run in Chicago

Started by purpleapple
Views: 652 Posts: 3

2006-06-18 2:47 PM Steve-

Chicago Area - Running Seminar

Started by Steve-
Views: 507 Posts: 1

2005-02-14 12:38 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : July 28, 2011
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : February 11, 2009
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.
date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation