Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Update to "Did she run or not" from last year! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-03-17 3:45 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Update to "Did she run or not" from last year!

Some of you have been here long enough to remember my post “Do you think she ran or not”—in that post I questioned whether or not a coworker (we’ll call Becky) actually ran the 2014 Salt Lake City Marathon. I ran the half the same day. Her finishing time did not exist. Her name was not registered. There was not a single photo/update on her FB about running or completing her first ever marathon. However, the following Monday Becky was walking around very stiff and sore, telling me how her husband was laughing at her that morning because of how funny she was walking. I let the issue go because, whatever…nothing I could really do to disprove she ran it, but in my gut I felt it was a lie. Fast forward to this past October. She is the JV girls basketball coach. During the season she began letting a few players know she had been diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer, had four tumors, and the doctors had given her 6-12 months to live. Holy crap! I was stunned and sad for her. Her plan was to start chemo but she would continue coaching throughout the season and resign at the end of the season to focus on surviving. Her husband would drive her in to the city (120 miles away) for chemo each week.   As the season progressed, I began to find it odd that despite chemo she was coaching with full energy—weight stayed the same, hair stayed the same. She was managing 5-6 hour bus trips (one way) with the team without any trouble. At the very end of the season (end of Feb) she revealed to the entire JV and V team she was dying of cancer. Still no visible signs of the chemo wiping her out and she continued to come to work even though she told the girls she would be resigning. All the while my gut was telling me something wasn’t right—but how do you doubt someone has cancer? I pressed my daughter for a few more details and she told me that Becky had sent her a picture of her radiation burn.   Alarms went off—why is a grown adult sending my 15 year old a picture…and why of her radiation burn? I watch enough Catfish to know what I needed to do. I google image searched that pic and boom! Becky lifted it right out a woman’s blog that chronicled her cancer fight four years ago. Monday morning hubby and I took the information we had to administration. By Wednesday morning I had corresponded with Becky’s sister and learned everything was a lie—the cancer, the husband, everything--I felt like I was peeling an onion uncovering lie after lie.  An hour after I made contact with Becky’s sister, Becky typed up a resignation letter, packed her office, turned in her key and ran. She lives 60 miles to the west so she ran home to hide. She left us with the aftermath of telling all of these teenage girls that they were manipulated and lied to. There are three adults in the building that were her best friends that didn’t have a clue about any of this. To say as a staff we are shell shocked is an understatement. So…to go back to my original question on the race—no she did not run the marathon!

2015-03-17 4:18 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Update to "Did she run or not" from last year!

All I can say is WOW!

Some people are indeed chronic liars, but pretending to have cancer is a real dirtball move.

2015-03-17 4:39 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Elite

Especially since we had a staff member go through cancer last year.  In hindsight, Becky was never able to tell that staff member which doctor was treating her--she always said 'a little oriental man, I can't pronounce his name'.  Of course that fit 2/3 of the staff where she said she was getting treated.

2015-03-17 4:42 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

That is awful.  The lady clearly has mental issues - that goes well beyond attention seeking. 

2015-03-17 4:42 PM

User image

Elite
Well I'll be damned!

"She lives 60 miles to the west so she ran home to hide."

I just spoke with her and she had the nerve to claim she just finished a 60-Miler Ultra-Running event! j/k

Seriously, that sounds like mental illness to me. (well past) time for her to get some professional help.
Yikes!

2015-03-17 7:24 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Pro

It's still possible she did run that marathon. 

Too bad you couldn't have gotten to the bottom of that question......you may have been able to save her from cancer. 

2015-03-18 7:07 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
After last year's story it doesn't surprise me. I once had a student with similar issues (which in one case included a detailed report about running a certain long distance in a certain time) and really found myself wondering if it was some kind of desperate bid for attention or actual confusion about what was real and what wasn't--do such people actually believe their own lies?? I feel sorry for both the students who had to deal with this disturbed woman and for you for having to blow the whistle on a colleague. I know that is always incredibly difficult and stressful but on occasion necessary for the well-being of the students (and, in this case, your own child). Had to do it on one occasion (for other, equally serious, reasons) and I still remember that as one of the toughest moments of my career.
2015-03-18 7:11 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by Left Brain

Too bad you couldn't have gotten to the bottom of that question......you may have been able to save her from cancer. 

There needs to be a "like" button, because I am sure by the end of all the comments on this page, I will have put a like on most of them and actually LOL'd on some.

The problem of her mental status needs to be taken care of.  Have you talked to her sister to let her know what is going on and to have someone actually check on her.  I am not in the mental health business, but it sounds to me like someone that is very close to going too far with things.  Like in the "danger to self or others" category.

2015-03-18 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

But how did the team do?

2015-03-18 10:22 AM

User image

Elite

Confirmed with her sister that Becky has never trained for nor ran a marathon in her life--even though Becky would tell me how her husband would drive her out 15, 18 miles and drop her off and wait for her to run home.  Of course, there is no husband--or home!  At 37 she lives at home with her mom and dad.

2015-03-18 10:24 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Elite

Originally posted by flip18436572

There needs to be a "like" button, because I am sure by the end of all the comments on this page, I will have put a like on most of them and actually LOL'd on some.

The problem of her mental status needs to be taken care of.  Have you talked to her sister to let her know what is going on and to have someone actually check on her.  I am not in the mental health business, but it sounds to me like someone that is very close to going too far with things.  Like in the "danger to self or others" category.

Her sister knows what is going on but is not willing to discuss it any further. Something tells me this has been a pattern with Becky for a long time.  I sure hope the sister has made their parents aware--Becky lives at home with them.

2015-03-18 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Wow that is crazy.  I can't imagine keeping all of those lies going for so long.  As someone who has my own cancer scare (finding out the tumor is benign is the best thing ever!) I can't imagine putting people through that.

Makes you wonder, something can't be quite right with them.

2015-03-18 10:29 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Hot Runner After last year's story it doesn't surprise me. I once had a student with similar issues (which in one case included a detailed report about running a certain long distance in a certain time) and really found myself wondering if it was some kind of desperate bid for attention or actual confusion about what was real and what wasn't--do such people actually believe their own lies?? I feel sorry for both the students who had to deal with this disturbed woman and for you for having to blow the whistle on a colleague. I know that is always incredibly difficult and stressful but on occasion necessary for the well-being of the students (and, in this case, your own child). Had to do it on one occasion (for other, equally serious, reasons) and I still remember that as one of the toughest moments of my career.

The extent of her deception is mind boggling--she was a pro.  She knew what adults never crossed paths during the day so she knew who she could tell what to.  One of her best friends in the building had no idea of any of it because Becky had told the other good friend not to say anything because she didn't want the first friend to 'get all emotional about the cancer'--so they never discussed it even though the three ate lunch together every day. 

It has been very difficult for the kids--they just don't understand why she would lie like that.  We'll probably never get an answer.

2015-03-18 11:24 AM

User image

Pro

I have scabies but so far it hasn't affected my ability to live at zero gravity on the Russian space station.  Don't tell anyone, my wife thinks I'm at Wal-mart.

2015-03-18 12:47 PM

User image

I remember the thread from last year.  That's amazing you got to the bottom of all that.

2015-03-18 12:58 PM

User image

Pro

I have scabies but so far it hasn't affected my ability to live at zero gravity on the Russian space station.  Don't tell anyone, my wife thinks I'm at Wal-mart.

We got your back. Your secret is safe with us.

But, wow! What a story, Kim.

2015-03-18 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

I remember this story... Wow. She clearly has some serious issues. Thanks for the update!

2015-03-18 3:49 PM
in reply to: kelpeng

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I would worry about how far she could go.  What if lies aren't good enough?  I wouldn't think killing off loved one or munchausen by proxy or something along those lines to get attention could be too far away.

2015-03-19 1:58 AM

OH if she is that nuts, it's time to distant yourself. None of us here want to read about some crazy that went off and shot a bunch of people she use to work with!

Joe
2015-03-19 9:53 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

The pathological liar is a tough one.  My best friend in grades 7 and 8 was one. She came from an abusive home that had recently been split up so i often just let her do it.  I mean, if she felt strongly that she needed to lie to me it was fine. It became so tedious - even at 13, knowing when someone was lying and trying to sift between what was real and what wasn't.  But the hard part was why.  I would have been her friend anyway.

Though, it seems it did come to head when we were in grade 9 and she had started hanging around with kids i didn't want to hang around with so we drifted apart.  I am not exactly sure, but if i do the math she caught herself in a lie where she told people she was pregnant and tried to lie about miscarrying.  She ended up having a baby in the summer between grade 9 and 10 - several months beyond the 9 months when she told people she was first pregnant.  It seems she went out and got herself pregnant in order to prove the lie.  Sad. Incredibly sad. 

When I did catch up with her again and she came back to our high school she was still telling ridiculous lies - she was pre-accepted on scholarship to an ivy-league school, why she came back, etc etc. I just didn't get it. I thought it might have been me for a while that she just felt the need to make herself look better/more exciting. But i think it was how she presented to everyone. 

Makes me sad though. 

2015-03-19 10:00 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Not sure If mentioned it last year but we had a girl we trained with who was always falling behind in the group and claimed she finished but too late for a medal or time. Though her "time" was faster than the last recorded time. I think she said that because she was more embarrassed she did not finish or maybe did not even try. At least I knew she was out there training.

I found out this year president of my company thought I was totally lying to him when I said I did the Marathon. He was thinking how can this guy completely BS me. Until I exampled I was a 6 hour marathoner and I am slow but steady. Good thing I did not mention the double marathon in the interview.

Only time I can think of when I can understand when someone lies about doing a marathon is if there friends rope them into a 5k race and they really just do not know there is a difference between a marathon and 5k. Otherwise what is the point?

2015-03-19 11:49 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Puppetmaster OH if she is that nuts, it's time to distant yourself. None of us here want to read about some crazy that went off and shot a bunch of people she use to work with! Joe

Believe me we have all considered that scenario.  We're keeping an eye out for her vehicle anywhere near the school.  Hopefully since she lives in a town 60 miles away she'll just stay away.  Last I've heard is that people in her town have heard everything (she had a whole different set of lies going there) and is now moving to Oregon where a family member lives. Good riddance!

2015-03-19 11:56 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by ingleshteechur

Originally posted by Puppetmaster OH if she is that nuts, it's time to distant yourself. None of us here want to read about some crazy that went off and shot a bunch of people she use to work with! Joe

Believe me we have all considered that scenario.  We're keeping an eye out for her vehicle anywhere near the school.  Hopefully since she lives in a town 60 miles away she'll just stay away.  Last I've heard is that people in her town have heard everything (she had a whole different set of lies going there) and is now moving to Oregon where a family member lives. Good riddance!

I just hope she gets some help.
2015-03-20 10:14 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Bronze member
That's so incredibly messed up. But selfishly, I am so glad to see an update. I was so curious about the marathon during the original thread, and now I have closure!!
2015-03-20 1:11 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

I don't know.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Update to "Did she run or not" from last year! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Do you think she ran or not? Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 12060 Posts: 172

2014-07-22 7:48 AM ajusf16

Woman found after 6 years after she died in her house Pages: 1 2

Started by Justin86
Views: 3184 Posts: 34

2014-03-12 6:25 PM Dolcezza

Last day of the year - Last Workout? Pages: 1 2

Started by sulross
Views: 1523 Posts: 31

2007-12-31 8:29 PM sulross

Last year's butt vs. This year's butt Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by marymosc13
Views: 4576 Posts: 79

2008-10-20 3:13 PM marymosc13

She's black and she's beautiful

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 763 Posts: 9

2007-06-29 3:52 PM Tania
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"