General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic distance triathlon hydration ideas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-18 3:10 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2015-03-18 3:14 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Olympic distance triathlon hydration ideas

Get a breakfast I know I can choke down without too much distress, i.e. oatmeal and coffee usually.  With the caveat that I am not a nutritionist, you really should have enough glycogen to get you through an hour easily.  Breakfast tops that off a bit, but Oly requires hard effort, meaning your body isn't going to be doing much digesting during the race.  So my Oly nutrition is pretty minimal

Gel before the swim

I use a BTA bottle about half full of Infinit (full bottle would be 300 cals), and never go through all of it, and use one gel (120 ish cals).  On the run I just take water at aid stations, and maybe a gel halfway.  Nothing else usually 

This is just my .02, but I think people tend to err on the side of too much rather than too little.  I think the latter is preferable, it's pretty easy to get enough in on the bike to stave off a bonk on the run.

Edited by ChrisM 2015-03-18 3:16 PM
2015-03-18 3:22 PM
in reply to: brickbd

Pro

For Oly distance, I make sure I'm hydrated for about the 3 days leading up to the race. 

On race day, I'll usually make sure to finish a bottle of water pre-race. I'll have a bottle on my bike and my plan is to drink that before I get off the bike. On the run, it's just sips from cups at the aid stations to carry me to the finish.

I use PowerBar gels for nutrition, and they've got a good amount of sodium, so I don't use sports drink at all.

Your plan will vary, I'm sure.

2015-03-18 4:18 PM

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Breakfast for me is always a banana, toasted bagel with PB and coffee.

A gel 10-15' before swim start

Gel after I settle in on the bike, water only.  I have a 30oz aerobar bottle.

Gel near the end of the bike in prep for the run.

Usually only water on the run.  I may take a quick swig of Gatorade on the run to trick the brain but that's it. 

2015-03-18 4:46 PM

For me, hydration on the run is very dependent on the weather. If it's colder, maybe at the turnaround/half way mark? The warmer it gets, the more inclined I am to take in fluids. I'll generally focus on taking more in earlier and usually will not touch anything after mile four. I think it would also depend on your overall time and 10k time. If your a sub 2:15 sub 40 guy the answer would be much different than a 3 hour 1 hour guy. The longer your out there, the more important hydration becomes.

Generally, I feel hydration happens on the bike at this distance, I don't want any extra water shaking around in the gut while I'm running at my 10k pace.
2015-03-18 5:31 PM

Oly hydration is not complicated. Pretty much bottles on the bike will do it, 1 for cool weather, 2 if it's hot and/or you're a big sweater. Pop a gel on the bike and run if you are so inclined, but it probably won't make much of a different.

Most importantly, recognize that having a suboptimal run at Oly distance is almost always a training issue, not a nutrition issue. Oly races are too short to have a nutrition bonk, meaning that you were in shape to go a lot faster for the distance, but just didn't have enough calories. Your liver holds more than enough calories to go the distance at Oly unless you starved yourself the day before.  Pacing the bike will also help if you overcooked it last time.

2015-03-18 6:21 PM
in reply to: #5101858

, North Carolina
3-4 hours before starting my last race I did two ensures, .25 cup oatmeal, banana. Lots of water the days leading up. Worked well for me. But my stomach is extra picky before exercise. I have to eat 3+ hours out. It was a long race so I did a gel 15 min before.
2015-03-18 6:24 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by yazmaster
Oly races are too short to have a nutrition bonk, meaning that you were in shape to go a lot faster for the distance, but just didn't have enough calories. Your liver holds more than enough calories to go the distance at Oly unless you starved yourself the day before.  

There are people that burn a high percent of carbs vs fat at Oly intensity. Put them on the course for almost 3hours and they have a very good chance of a bonk
2015-03-18 8:32 PM
in reply to: marcag

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

for breakfast i eat 3-5 bananas and some pineapple juice, all food must be consumed 2 hours before gun time.  Can continue drinking water to thirst up until 15 minutes before gun time.

nothing goes into the body until 15 min into the bike. at this point 1 gel and water.  During the bike, can drink as needed depending on temperature, 1 bottle maximum. optional second gel 15 minutes before end of bike. Nothing goes into the body the last 15 minutes of bike, can sip just enough water to get mouth wet if necessary.

On the run I will take small sips of water if necessary, but mostly just pour water all over myself.

foolproof

2015-03-19 4:21 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

Extreme Veteran
gel before the start, 24 oz. bottle of Skatch sports drink on the bike, and maybe a gel at some point during the run
2015-03-19 8:14 AM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Many of my races are in pretty extreme heat/humidity so maybe this is fluids overkill for some. I'd normally have an entire 750ml bottle of Nuun (electrolyte drink) as well as about 500m of water in my aerobottle, and probably drink most/all in the course of riding 40 km.(In more temperate conditions, probably just the aerobottle and half the other bottle). I like to carry my own fluids (bottle of Nuun in waist pack) on the run so I can drink when I want to and avoid wasting time at crowded aid stations in a larger race (and weird drinks in SE Asia) but sometimes I live off the course. In general, in really hot conditions I drink every 10 minutes on bike and run, every 15 in more moderate ones. Nutrition--I keep it simple. One gu on the bike at about halfway, one early in the run. That's it. My best time's in the 2:40 range and I'm pretty lightweight; someone who's heavier or out there longer might need more.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic distance triathlon hydration ideas Rss Feed