General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Intensity in IM training -- when and how hard? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-18 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Intensity in IM training -- when and how hard?

Hi everyone, I am just about at my wit's end trying to figure out how to build intensity into my IM plan. I know there are lots of individual differences, but it seems like there are serious coaches advising all sorts of things: Friel and Byrn in Going Long emphasize muscular endurance (zone 3), Fink in BIF calls for only zone 4 and says zone 3 produces too much fatigue with not enough benefits, and Dave Scott and at least one peer reviewed study say above-LT/FT is where you get the real gains, but of course injury potential there is pretty scary, especially combined with high volume, and it's so un-race-specific. What do we really know about intensity in IM training?

I'm also wondering about when to schedule intensity (which training blocks) and balancing intensity vs. volume. I plan to increase volume until 7 weeks out, then a 4 week build period with less volume and more intensity, but I'm not totally sold on that approach. This is my second IM season; my last one I did basically BIF with no intensity except hills, so I was building volume until 3 weeks out, and that worked quite well. Of course now I'm trying to push the speed where in my first I was mostly just happy to get through it.

2015-03-18 9:49 PM
in reply to: neweyes

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Intensity in IM training -- when and how hard?

Basically, farther out from the race you'll be working more on general aerobic fitness. And that will be including the higher intensity work. Build up your aerobic system strong across the board. As the race gets closer the work that is more specific to the race will grow more while the less specific can be done less often. In the later stages of the build you're trying to make a strong push for what's needed for that particular race off of a strong base.

2015-03-23 1:29 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Intensity in IM training -- when and how hard?

Originally posted by brigby1

Basically, farther out from the race you'll be working more on general aerobic fitness. And that will be including the higher intensity work. Build up your aerobic system strong across the board. As the race gets closer the work that is more specific to the race will grow more while the less specific can be done less often. In the later stages of the build you're trying to make a strong push for what's needed for that particular race off of a strong base.

This pretty much sums it up. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Intensity in IM training -- when and how hard? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

High intensity low volume training plans Pages: 1 2

Started by DaveSeattle
Views: 3647 Posts: 29

2012-05-01 3:03 PM eliwashere

Harder IM more competitive?

Started by LittleCat
Views: 1656 Posts: 13

2010-07-11 2:56 PM LittleCat

Easiest to Hardest IM? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Rogillio
Views: 3811 Posts: 51

2008-10-20 7:40 AM rpm1418

Training Intensity and Endurance Nation

Started by ejc999
Views: 2899 Posts: 16

2008-02-06 9:44 PM amiine

Harder than ever to get into an IM race

Started by Flyboy
Views: 1179 Posts: 14

2007-09-28 1:07 PM Steve in IL
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.
date : January 9, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.

date : March 6, 2007
author : gsmacleod
comments : 6
A comparison between two athletes and their results based on a high intensity vs a low intensity program.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.