Other Resources The Political Joe » Starbucks and its 'race together' campaign --good or bad idea? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-03-20 6:43 PM

Subject: Starbucks and its 'race together' campaign --good or bad idea?
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/we-went-to-starbucks-t...

In theory, this could have been a good idea, but it really wasn't well thought out. I don't think that employees should feel pressure to discuss this topic with customers, either. There seems to be a breach of ethics there. I'm all for meaningful discussions such as these, but not forced upon employees.

What do you think?

2015-03-20 9:19 PM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Starbucks and its 'race together' campaign --good or bad idea?

I think after the last 6 months of dealing with this crap I can't wait to retire to somewhere with a population of NOBODY.

2015-03-20 9:20 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Nothing's is being "forced" on any employees. They have the option of writing the race together hashtag on customers' cups if they want. If that stimulates discussion between them about race relations, then great, but no ones being "pressured" or "forced".

What could it hurt? If you just want coffee, feel free to say "thank you" and leave. Or go to Dunkin Donuts.
2015-03-20 9:58 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Nothing's is being "forced" on any employees. They have the option of writing the race together hashtag on customers' cups if they want. If that stimulates discussion between them about race relations, then great, but no ones being "pressured" or "forced".

What could it hurt? If you just want coffee, feel free to say "thank you" and leave. Or go to Dunkin Donuts.

They're being encouraged to do so, and when it comes from the top, there is bound to be some tension. (if the employee is reluctant to talk about race relations, etc)

http://www.infowars.com/video-starbucks-baristas-refuse-to-discuss-...

Edited by SGirl 2015-03-20 10:00 PM
2015-03-21 8:12 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I would gladly go to Dunkin Donuts, but I heard that as a competitive response to Starbucks, they're starting a #twostate campaign, where the person pouring your coffee will stimulate you with a debate on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
2015-03-21 9:40 PM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Pro

Is there any place that serves coffee where you can debate on who was the greatest....Ali or Frazier....maybe Secretariat or Alydar....how about Draft Legal vs. Non DL.  

I just want my coffee......if you can't figure out a way to get along with good people of every color or sexual preference or whatever then you just don't deserve coffee......get the fork out.

2015-03-22 4:28 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I will just continue to go to Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf here, and a local family-run place at home, because they have better, cheaper, coffee, (and because I like the people who run the local shop) and I don't want to be "stimulated" to talk about anything while enjoying my coffee. Anyway, I don't think the Starbucks in Vietnam would be in on the campaign....We must have some kind of world record in interracial couples so "racing together" is already the done thing!
2015-03-22 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by SGirl

They're being encouraged to do so, and when it comes from the top, there is bound to be some tension. (if the employee is reluctant to talk about race relations, etc)

You're quoting infowars.com as a source? Have you read the rest of the nonsense on that site? Why don't you try finding an article from a source that at least makes a pretense of presenting a balanced viewpoint?
2015-03-22 11:29 AM

You're quoting infowars.com as a source? Have you read the rest of the nonsense on that site? Why don't you try finding an article from a source that at least makes a pretense of presenting a balanced viewpoint?

That's just one source, sure. I have no issues with discussing race relations and I'm vehemently opposed to race discrimination on all levels, but this campaign isn't being received well. That's not me reporting it, google a variety of sources, and you can read it for yourself.
2015-03-22 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Left Brain

Is there any place that serves coffee where you can debate on who was the greatest....Ali or Frazier....maybe Secretariat or Alydar....how about Draft Legal vs. Non DL.  

I just want my coffee......if you can't figure out a way to get along with good people of every color or sexual preference or whatever then you just don't deserve coffee......get the fork out.

Agree. The problem with discrimination goes very deep, and I just find this type of 'campaign' to be a bit off the mark and shallow, frankly. Thanks for your feedback.
2015-03-22 1:18 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Agree. The problem with discrimination goes very deep, and I just find this type of 'campaign' to be a bit off the mark and shallow, frankly. Thanks for your feedback.

So you don't see any value in encouraging a discussion on race relations between willing participants? Your argument seems to be, "This isn't going to solve racism, so what's the point of doing it?"

It's an uncomfortable topic for most people, regardless of where you stand. Most people tend to hang out with people who, for the most part, share their views. The value of creating forums where strangers can discuss uncomfortable subjects with one another, whether it's an Internet forum or something like what Starbucks is doing is that you at least create the opportunity for people to hear an opposing view from the actual people who hold them. The problem with places like infowars is that they tell you "the people who disagree with you believe 'x'. Isn't that stupid?" Maybe if you got to hear the opinion of an actual person who felt differently than you do, rather than someone who agrees with you telling you what the other side thinks, you'd be more open minded about the argument.

I don't think it's going to solve racism, and honestly, I don't see myself having a discussion with my barista on this or any subject, but I keep going back to my original point, which is, "where's the harm"? Worst case scenario is it flops and goes quietly away like that clear Pepsi.

ETA: As it apparently has: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/22/us-starbucks-ceo-race-idU...

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2015-03-22 1:25 PM

2015-03-22 3:25 PM

So you don't see any value in encouraging a discussion on race relations between willing participants? Your argument seems to be, "This isn't going to solve racism, so what's the point of doing it?"

It's an uncomfortable topic for most people, regardless of where you stand. Most people tend to hang out with people who, for the most part, share their views. The value of creating forums where strangers can discuss uncomfortable subjects with one another, whether it's an Internet forum or something like what Starbucks is doing is that you at least create the opportunity for people to hear an opposing view from the actual people who hold them. The problem with places like infowars is that they tell you "the people who disagree with you believe 'x'. Isn't that stupid?" Maybe if you got to hear the opinion of an actual person who felt differently than you do, rather than someone who agrees with you telling you what the other side thinks, you'd be more open minded about the argument.

I don't think it's going to solve racism, and honestly, I don't see myself having a discussion with my barista on this or any subject, but I keep going back to my original point, which is, "where's the harm"? Worst case scenario is it flops and goes quietly away like that clear Pepsi.

ETA: As it apparently has: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/22/us-starbucks-ceo-race-idU...

Okay, that I agree with...there may not be any harm in it. And thinking about it, if I were to have a discussion about it, or let's say a SB employee were to discuss it with me, I would be open to it depending on if I were in a hurry or not. I tend to go through the drive through when I go to SB, and it's not all that often that I really visit SB anymore. I'm not closed off to the idea of the whole thing, and in some ways, this may bring about some positive outcomes even if you only are able to reach 5 new people per week, with these messages. I appreciate your feedback here, because it does provide me with a different view of it.

At first glance, it seems like a trite way to handle a very deep topic. And I don't like thinking that ''using'' race relations and the challenges of discrimination, etc as a new way to market one's product and get more people buzzing about your product/brand, is at play here. Think that is what irks me a bit about it, also...because it seems like yet another tactic to get people buzzing about SB, and that has been the case, whether people agree with the campaign or not. Is SB genuinely interested in bringing about a positive healthy discussion over race relations, or does SB at the end of the day, only care about SB and getting more traffic in the door to sell more coffee? If that's the angle (we may never know for sure), that I really dislike. This is my opinion.

But, your points are well taken.

Edited by SGirl 2015-03-22 3:42 PM
2015-03-22 4:48 PM

User image

Pro

As someone who has dealt with people of every color, sexual persuasion, religion, or what have you during times of disagreement that has lead to violence, hatred,  and other inhumane acts......I can, without hesitation, say that this country does not have a race problem......it has a stupid problem. Stupid people of all types make life one hell of a lot harder than it needs to be on folks who'd just like to live their lives without drama. 

If you have a problem with an entire race, religion, or group of people just because of their race, religion, sexual preference, etc. then you need look no further than the closest mirror to figure out what the problem is. 

2015-03-22 4:58 PM

User image

Pro

As for Starbucks getting involved in racial discussion.....give me a damn break.  I spend quite a bit of time in all black neighborhoods........you couldn't find a Starbucks coffee shop if you spent the next year looking for one.  Maybe if someone at Starbucks makes the mistake of engaging me in a discussion about race problems I'll ask them if we can move the discussion to their shop at MLK Blvd and N. Grand in St. Louis.  Oh.......wait.

Idiots.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-03-22 4:58 PM
2015-03-22 6:42 PM

As someone who has dealt with people of every color, sexual persuasion, religion, or what have you during times of disagreement that has lead to violence, hatred,  and other inhumane acts......I can, without hesitation, say that this country does not have a race problem......it has a stupid problem. Stupid people of all types make life one hell of a lot harder than it needs to be on folks who'd just like to live their lives without drama. 

If you have a problem with an entire race, religion, or group of people just because of their race, religion, sexual preference, etc. then you need look no further than the closest mirror to figure out what the problem is. 

Well said. I can't help but wonder if a lot of these problems would exist, or at least to the level that they have existed and do exist, if the population was mainly made up of atheists. Not entirely, certainly, but religion breeds a lot of division and bigotry. Just would be interesting to see what a completely secular society might look like, in terms of 'race relations,' etc...
2015-03-22 8:31 PM

User image

Pro

Well said. I can't help but wonder if a lot of these problems would exist, or at least to the level that they have existed and do exist, if the population was mainly made up of atheists. Not entirely, certainly, but religion breeds a lot of division and bigotry. Just would be interesting to see what a completely secular society might look like, in terms of 'race relations,' etc...

I have no idea.  I don't have a problem with Atheists the same way I don't have a problem with Christians or Muslims.  Now.....Atheists, Christians, and Muslims (and every other faith) who disrupt the flow of the majority of the world's people who just want to get along and be left alone to enjoy their lives.....yeah, I've got a BIG problem with those Atheists, Christians, and Muslims.

Again, I don't think it has anything to do with race, religion, sexual preference, etc.......it's merely about stupidity and ignorance.  I can't stand stupid, ignorant people. 

Edited by Left Brain 2015-03-22 8:33 PM

2015-03-22 10:29 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

As for Starbucks getting involved in racial discussion.....give me a damn break.  I spend quite a bit of time in all black neighborhoods........you couldn't find a Starbucks coffee shop if you spent the next year looking for one.  Maybe if someone at Starbucks makes the mistake of engaging me in a discussion about race problems I'll ask them if we can move the discussion to their shop at MLK Blvd and N. Grand in St. Louis.  Oh.......wait.

Idiots.

Heh, that's actually an excellent point also.

I agree with you about stupid hateful people. Trouble is, in my experience anyway, stupid hateful people tend to flock together, so none of them realize that in the context of society as a whole, they're stupid and hateful. They just think they're like everyone else. You think those morons at the University of Oklahoma would have let that nonsense wind up on YouTube if they didn't believe that the whole world would find it as funny as they did? For that reason, I do think there's some value in getting people outside of their usual insular circles talking about uncomfortable subjects.
2015-03-22 10:30 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I have no idea.  I don't have a problem with Atheists the same way I don't have a problem with Christians or Muslims.  Now.....Atheists, Christians, and Muslims (and every other faith) who disrupt the flow of the majority of the world's people who just want to get along and be left alone to enjoy their lives.....yeah, I've got a BIG problem with those Atheists, Christians, and Muslims.

Again, I don't think it has anything to do with race, religion, sexual preference, etc.......it's merely about stupidity and ignorance.  I can't stand stupid, ignorant people. 

(Psst...you forgot the Jews...)
2015-03-22 11:16 PM

User image

Pro

Nah, Jim.....I didn't forget you, I was just trying to keep it short and to the point.  But....since you brought up unintended snubs in my rant....before any of you from the most radicalized group of all people bring it to my attention......I didn't forget vegetarians either.

2015-03-23 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

They need me to actually drink my coffee and wait an hour before I engage in a polarizing topic. 

Also, c'mon LB!  You know good and well that DL makes the bike way easier.

2015-03-23 11:54 AM

Agreed about ignorance. But, where is it coming from, where does such ignorance stem from? If I worked at SB, maybe that would be the exact question I'd ask lol

2015-03-23 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Nah, Jim.....I didn't forget you, I was just trying to keep it short and to the point.  But....since you brought up unintended snubs in my rant....before any of you from the most radicalized group of all people bring it to my attention......I didn't forget vegetarians either.

Yeah, don't forget us Atheist Vegans, always stirrin up trubble.

2015-03-23 12:14 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by SGirl Agreed about ignorance. But, where is it coming from, where does such ignorance stem from? If I worked at SB, maybe that would be the exact question I'd ask lol

I don't have the answer for that.....but I'll say that social media is the driving force today behind false information being thrown out as truth and passed along through it's channels until it becomes absolute, irrefutable truth that people actually act on. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen.  Twitter is a joke.  Facebook is running a close second.  I don't think the ignorance starts there......but it sure as hell is the conduit for communicating it and passing it on.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-03-23 12:15 PM
2015-03-23 1:49 PM

User image

People want to live in a peaceful society but can't be bothered to engage in conversation with how to get one.  There's your problem.

2015-03-23 2:14 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

Originally posted by Dan-L

People want to live in a peaceful society but can't be bothered to engage in conversation with how to get one.  There's your problem.

I don't think everyone wants the same thing, that is the problem. There are many people who are racist, and have no intentions of changing, sadly. Ignorance is often bliss.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Starbucks and its 'race together' campaign --good or bad idea? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Two great tastes that taste even better together?

Started by switch
Views: 1331 Posts: 17

2014-02-26 2:56 PM switch

facts are the worst!

Started by dmiller5
Views: 1781 Posts: 14

2013-10-28 1:47 PM Ron

Good Article

Started by JoshR
Views: 1365 Posts: 4

2013-10-24 4:05 PM JoshR

I think we need better gun control...

Started by tuwood
Views: 2042 Posts: 19

2013-09-27 6:08 AM DanielG

Just when you think life can't get any worse

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 1035 Posts: 3

2013-08-16 10:17 AM Pector55
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 20, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 0
This is part three of a five part series on how to train for an Iron distance race. In this article I would like to try to offer up some information about how to get through the bike unscathed.

date : April 26, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on good vs bad sugars, fluid loss replacement, clean eating, the Paleo diet and are gels necessary for olympic races.
date : February 22, 2010
author : AMSSM
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.

date : December 24, 2008
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : July 3, 2006
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.