General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cardiac Catheterization? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-20 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Cardiac Catheterization?
Ill try to keep it to the point.
Ten years ago I noticed heavy chest pain during long runs, primarily on a sprint. I had a nuclear scan that came back negative for any abnormalities.
Fast forward to 2015, (due to constant plantar faciitis I haven't run any real distance in 5 years) A recent jog caused the same chest discomfort as the sprints used to cause 10 years ago.
The catch-, I have been active on the spin bike, mountain biking, motocross, swimming, even one sprint tri (walk and slow jogged the run due to pf) during these 10 years. I can perform all of these functions to my perceived max heart rate without chest discomfort, but Running brings the discomfort on reliably.
I had a "Cpet" style stress test on a spin bike, ordered by my cardiologist, vo2 max was great anaerobic function great, but, due to my reported 'pain while running" symptoms, my cardiologist feels its prudent to do a cardiac cath.
I have some concern about the invasive nature of the cath, and would prefer a non invasive option. I know the cath may have the best diagnostic capability, but is it unreasonable to want to see an indication on a CT or Nuclear scan prior to a cath? Plus, Im just a little concern of possible side effects of a cath as well...
Thanks!

2015-03-21 5:46 PM
in reply to: mxr746

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Subject: RE: Cardiac Catheterization?
I'm an RN with many years of cardiac experience. Would you mind sharing your age and any family history?

You can send me a private message if you prefer.
2015-03-23 5:52 AM
in reply to: xmann1102

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Originally posted by xmann1102

I'm an RN with many years of cardiac experience. Would you mind sharing your age and any family history?

You can send me a private message if you prefer.

Thanks I'm 44 6' 145lbs non smoker not on any prescription meds excellent family health history. PM sent.
2015-03-24 6:50 AM
in reply to: mxr746

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
pm returned
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cardiac Catheterization? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Survived Cardiac Arrest At 2014 NYC Triathlon

Started by JRhunt
Views: 867 Posts: 4

2014-10-27 6:23 PM TJHammer

Cardiac Events

Started by YuP
Views: 1096 Posts: 3

2009-07-20 11:32 AM Crank-snapper

cardiac

Started by dexter
Views: 1302 Posts: 16

2006-06-15 7:02 PM dexter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 17, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
The purpose of the annual exam is to identify predisposing medical concerns that potentially can distract or diminish the training effectiveness of the triathlete.

date : August 5, 2008
author : buffalo2090
comments : 6
A journey from a seemingly healthy lifestyle, to heart surgery and back again.
date : November 4, 2007
author : AMSSM
Will sustained exercise at or near maximum heart rate increase the risk of heart damage, or heart failure. Is the cardiac muscle also subject to strain and damage as other muscles?

date : December 8, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Highly trained athletes can maintain a specific HR longer than a newbie without much creeping; their endurance is greater—thus able to keep pace efficiently and without much additional increase in HR.