General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fit before race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-22 3:44 PM

Subject: Bike fit before race?
I've been riding my road bike for over a year now and I don't think it fits me well. It wasn't fitted to me when I bought it, so there's no particular reason to think it would be well adjusted, and when I look at pics of me on the bike I look about as comfortable as I feel (i.e., not very). So I'm thinking about finally getting a professional fit done at my new LBS. I'm taking part in an Oly next weekend, though. If I get the bike fit done this week, will I feel fast and awesome during the race? Or will I be miserable and uncomfortable until I've spend some time in the saddle? What do you think? I've always just ridden any old bike so I have no experience of this.

Also, if you look all hunched and uncomfortable on a bike, is that likely to be just the fit or do you need to work on your form or posture or something as well? I thought I had reasonable posture and core strength because I do a fair bit of yoga, but maybe not.

2015-03-22 5:24 PM
in reply to: #5102571

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Bike fit before race?
If your not comfortable now. What's to lose? However, you've been training your muscles a certain way. A change in fit could have you hitting your muscles slightly different. Could result in injury or pain. Hard to say. But it could also be amazing.
2015-03-22 7:06 PM
in reply to: mangobingo

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure I would mess with it (or anything) that soon before the race. But definitely get it done in the near future. The fit can make a big difference in both your comfort level on the bike (which can make you more willing to put in more time on it) as well as your power output. But my guess is that the latter might also take a period of adaptation to the new fit, and a week might not be enough time for that. Also, the bike might handle a bit differently with a new fit, and I wouldn't want to find that out at race speed/effort. When you talk about being hunched and uncomfortable, it almost sounds like the bike might be too small for you. I have that problem with one of my road bikes, and the best a fit can do is make the best of a suboptimal situation--it's comfortable enough but power is compromised. If it's something adjustable, it can be fixed; if, like me, you're in a weird position because the reach is too short, there's not much to be done.
2015-03-22 7:49 PM
in reply to: #5102592

User image

Regular
, Ohio
I am no means an expert but I am in the process of getting my bike fitted to a more aero position. Long story short, I needed to order a few parts so it's not completely done but from what was changed, I feel a huge difference but it also caused different areas to become a little more sensitive and I don't know if you would want to risk this scenario with a 10k still when you get off the bike.
2015-03-22 8:47 PM

Master
Northern IL

Maybe at least talk with the bike shop. See what they have to say and be sure to explain your situation. They might be able to work with some smaller tweaks for now and a better fit after. We're only talking an Oly here and things already sound bad. They wouldn't be a very good shop if it felt worse from a fit that already felt bad at this kind of distance. There may be some training to do before it really felt awesome, hard to say with this. Sometimes it's a slight adjustment of something and others it's a larger reworking.

2015-03-22 9:19 PM
in reply to: #5102620

User image

Franklin, TN
I got fitted about a week before my first Oly. My comfort level and speed improved immediately. A good fitter will spend enough time with you to dial in the most comfortable and powerful fit for your personal attributes.

2015-03-23 5:14 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I would mark on the position you are in now, eg. seat height, fore/aft position, then get a professional fit.  If you feel comfortable with the new fit and feel like you will be able to race in this new position, great.  If not make a note of the new position, return everything to how you have it now then after the race change back to how it was set up in your professional fit.

2015-03-23 12:23 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Not sure I would mess with it (or anything) that soon before the race. But definitely get it done in the near future. The fit can make a big difference in both your comfort level on the bike (which can make you more willing to put in more time on it) as well as your power output. But my guess is that the latter might also take a period of adaptation to the new fit, and a week might not be enough time for that. Also, the bike might handle a bit differently with a new fit, and I wouldn't want to find that out at race speed/effort. When you talk about being hunched and uncomfortable, it almost sounds like the bike might be too small for you. I have that problem with one of my road bikes, and the best a fit can do is make the best of a suboptimal situation--it's comfortable enough but power is compromised. If it's something adjustable, it can be fixed; if, like me, you're in a weird position because the reach is too short, there's not much to be done.

If the reach is too short, maybe try a longer stem? Just a thought . . .
2015-03-23 1:36 PM

User image

Pro

You should be fine- as long as you get a chance to try out the new position on at least one training ride.

I'm assuming sprint/oly distances.  you should be able to put up with anything for 12 or 26 miles.  

56 or 112 miles... I wouldn't be changing position in the last few days.  unless you're desperate

2015-03-24 2:55 PM
in reply to: morey000

Thanks everyone! I'm going to go for it if the bike shop can fit me in; just negotiating with them now. If it happens, I'll let you know how it goes.

Btw I don't think the bike is too small, if anything it might be a bit too big. I'll be very curious to see what the knowledgeable bike people have to say.

Finally, I was half expecting to get a load of replies along the lines of "why didn't you get it fitted properly to start with you moron". So thanks for not doing that
2015-03-24 7:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I'd definitely go for it.  I've had fit sessions for 2 different bikes and the very small adjustments make a big difference mainly from comfort - which translates into endurance.  It's a dead loss to add to your fatigue with minor aches, cramps, squirming, et al of an ill fitting bike. 

The only caveat is just be sure the LBS knows what they're doing.  There are many discussions in here that should give you an idea of what's required to do a 'proper' fit.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fit before race? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

bike fit and racing teams...

Started by michael_runs
Views: 700 Posts: 8

2012-01-11 5:06 PM TriSte

Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Started by JRL
Views: 3309 Posts: 10

2011-09-26 12:10 AM jawgee

Tri bike fit vs Road bike fit

Started by DJones107
Views: 1470 Posts: 6

2010-10-05 7:46 AM DJones107

Set up road bike fit like a tri bike fit

Started by jsiegs
Views: 3344 Posts: 16

2010-08-23 8:45 PM audiojan

BIke fit before race?

Started by pds0006
Views: 876 Posts: 4

2008-07-17 6:33 AM jldicarlo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : December 19, 2008
author : Ontherun
This suit is a mid temperature suit, well suited for a variety of temperatures. The price on this suit was on the higher side of the group tested, but the fit and performance is very good.
date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.