General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
Competitor Group
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 33m 44s
Overall Rank = 187/8486
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 20/431
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am. Was not sure whether I was going to be able to race because I had a minor gout flare-up to deal with from Thursday afternoon. Definitely wouldn't have been able to run if the race was yesterday. I figured I would know when I warmed up if I should line up to take the start. Had a rice cage, banana, and peanut butter for breakfast, along with another banana on the drive down. Left the house at around 6:08am but got to my office parking garage which was about 4-5 blocks away with no issues and was there in time to do the morning ritual.
Event warmup:

Ran about 1.5 miles total, but stopped to make 2nd and 3rd porta john breaks. Legs were feeling heavy so in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have done such a hard bike workout on Friday evening and should have ridden the 30-minute active recovery workout on Saturday morning, not late afternoon.
Run
  • 1h 33m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew from my previous few workouts that I was in the best running form of my life right now so a PR was within reach. The only issue was going to be my left foot which was very sore yesterday from a gout flare-up. Fortunately, it did not present any problems at all. I was planning to start out the race around a 7:15 pace, but ended up a little quicker as there were more downhills during the first 5K. I came in just around 22 minutes and my initial plans to use the 1:35 pacer was out the window as I was running faster than that pace. I figured that if they caught me, I would hang on and still get a PR (my old PR was 1:36:59).

I was watching my heart rate to make sure I don't redline myself too early, and game plan was to keep it in the low 150 range until at least halfway. When it would climb to around 155, I would slow down until it went back to around 150-152 bpm. After the halfway mark, I let it go up to around 155-156bpm and by mile 9, I knew I had a PR in the bag as long as I didn't blow up so on a couple of water stations, I made sure to walk a little bit, get water, and take my gel (which I took around mile 8).

Around mile 10 I was starting to struggle but latched onto another runner who was going my pace and the friendly competition kept the intensity up. Decided to start calling out some 'targets' to reel in and we both went after a few people and caught up/passed them. At this point, I was defnitely running around 6:40/mile pace and it was getting pretty painful.

On the finishing few hundred meters, he started sprinting and I didn't really have much more (and didn't want to risk an all out sprint) and came in a few seconds behind. However, I looked at my watch and saw that I broke 1:34 for a new PR of 1:33:44!
What would you do differently?:

A few things would have made my race just a little bit better:

1. Don't do a hard 75-minute threshold interval on the bike on Friday evening.
2. Probably better to have done my active recovery ride on Saturday morning instead of Saturday evening
3. Push and suffer just a little bit harder and not walk as long as I did on one of the water stops - cost around 10 seconds.
4. Might have been good to have another gel - take 1 at 10K, then half of another around 15K.
5. Sleep earlier (only got about 5.5 hrs of sleep)
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm-down, just waited around finish line area. I did walk a lot - including about 20 minutes to get back to the start.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above -

Event comments:

I still think the Dallas Marathon was better but this wasn't bad. Swag was not the best considering how expensive the race was (Hot Chocolate swag was better).

Last updated: 2015-02-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:44 | 13.1 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/431
Overall: 187/8486
Performance: Good
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/726216361
Course: point to point almost-oop around downtown Dallas. Much hillier than I expected, definitely hillier than the Dallas half-marathon in December. Several tough hills - which makes me hopeful that if weather conditions are as good in December and training continues to go well, might have another PR shot then.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-03-22 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon

Started by kussmaul
Views: 1057 Posts: 1

2012-03-25 5:16 PM kussmaul

Started by martinez_aron
Views: 913 Posts: 1

2011-05-09 12:41 PM martinez_aron

Started by jjupiter100
Views: 1220 Posts: 1

2011-04-06 8:23 AM jjupiter100

Started by eklung05
Views: 1110 Posts: 1

2011-04-02 3:32 PM eklung05

Started by m2tx
Views: 1606 Posts: 3

2011-03-28 12:38 PM m2tx
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.