Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-03-22 6:06 PM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Subject: Embarrassed
Hi,

I have been in and around here for a bit, but never actually done a tri yet. There are a bunch of reasons, I hurt like hell when I run, I'm slow as hell on a bike, but mostly I'm ashamed of being the only fat guy out there.

Our local club has beginner tris, but since that's the main ones they run, it's almost all young fit people, basically the polar opposite of me! I did the bike leg of one of their tris once, and did so badly, and was so humiliated, I've never been back.

But I want to.

How do you all get over those feelings?

2015-03-22 11:13 PM
in reply to: #5102600

Subject: RE: Embarrassed
For me the question was "Am I doing this for the accomplishment and satisfaction I get or am I doing this to win and impress others?" For me, I do tri's cause I want to. Yes I get competitive, but with myself. I bought a skeleton tri suit, only style I could find in 4x, which I've worn in both sprints I've done. Sure before the swim I was looking around, thinking everyone was staring at the fat guy snickering, but after the start all I thought was I was there for me. I've learned its a great community where I've never felt judged. Everyone there is concerned about how they look and focused on their event, just like we do.
2015-03-23 9:31 AM
in reply to: Duck

For me its not about where i am, its about where i want to be.

I ran my first tri on Sat and was SLOW. But now i have a baseline and i know what i need to do for my next race at the end of April. The terror of a race forces me to train and take it seriously, not because others at the races are judging me but because i am judging myself and competing against myself.

By being there you are one step further on than the old you that you want to leave behind! Everyone there (and i mean EVERYONE) was just so psyched that you were there and challenging yourself, whether that challenge is a sub 60 min sprint or a sub 180 min sprint!

Sign up for masters swim (low impact, will help all the other aspects) and go for it!
2015-03-24 4:19 AM
in reply to: halr75

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Thanks guys. I certainly did not feel any support (one guy said "woah, we almost forgot you, we were about to pack up the bike leg"), but yes I am sure some of that was just my own insecurities. Sorry to vent on here, just need to loose the weight before next seasons races (being in Australia the season is over).

Thanks guys
2015-03-24 6:22 AM
in reply to: #5102659

I certainly understand that embarrassed feeling, but i don't feel the tri community judges me. People that have never had to work for anything might, but they don't matter. Keep in mind, like I do, that we are making EVERYTHING harder than it needs to be. Keep fighting, get the weight down, and most of all don't stop!
2015-03-25 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

Believe me, there is no judgement in this sport (for the most part.) I have done many races when I started out overweight. I was so ashamed of my body.
I somehow mustered up the courage to do that first race (a very easy one) and became hooked. I never once felt out of place when I was there. You wanna know why? Mixed into the crowds of lean bodies I found people just like me. I saw people heavier, people quite old and people who you wouldn't guess would be there. Everyone was so helpful and welcoming. People cheering everyone on. They especially cheered on those that did not fit into "the mold."

As far as your ability, don't worry. The important thing is to just do it. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR SPEED IS. It doesn't during a race and it certainly doesn't during practice. Go at your ability and progress at your own pace. Try a training plan. If it is too difficult then double the weeks until you feel ready to progress.

Build on what you can do. A little bit each time. Everyone has to start somewhere. Even if you're the last one out there-YOU ARE DOING IT!!!!

I have a strong feeling Henry Rollins would say f*** this, can't stop me!

Edited by dressagegirl 2015-03-25 1:56 PM

2015-03-25 4:55 PM
in reply to: alburyscott

I read a quote the other day that i though was cool.
Last Place > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

At the starting line you're already ahead of everybody that Did Not Start!
2015-03-26 9:19 AM
in reply to: dressagegirl

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by dressagegirl
Believe me, there is no judgement in this sport (for the most part.) I have done many races when I started out overweight. I was so ashamed of my body.

This part here resonates with me. I did my first tri in tri shorts and a t-shirt. My second as well, but... well you'll see... I wasn't too terribly self-conscious even though I do have body and body hair issues, but everyone everyone was really nice and helpful... Then I saw the pics of me coming out of the water into T1. When I saw that pic, I almost gave the idea of continuing this a kick to the curb until I lose the weight. I was sick... I was disgusted at how I looked... I was amazed that my wife would jump into bed with that... that... mass... I am not ashamed to admit that that pic made me cry. It took me a minute before I had a gut check. I had just swam 440yds, biked 12mi, and limped 5k... As far as I was concerned, anyone (other than me) who had an issue with how I looked out there could *insert string of expletives here*. I use that pic for inspiration now. Check my profile, the pic is in there.

2015-03-26 12:01 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Not liking your pics in T1 is a universal.
It took me awhile to find a Tri Top that covered my belly.
It takes me about 4-5 weeks of serious Tri training to prevent kneeing myself in aero.
(Half of you reading this know what I mean....)

For sprints, I have never been close to the biggest guy there.

For my 70.3, I was pretty darn close, but still not the biggest.

Near the end, I heard a lot of, "Honey, if HE can do it...."

But you know what?
I hurt too much physically to care.
I also knew that I was so damn close, I was going to finish.
When I finished, who cares?
I completed a friggin' 70.3!
I walked half of the 5k of my first sprint Tri five years prior, I would have never thought an Oly, never mind HIM, was possible.

Do you want to know what my time was compared to the average person?

• Trick question.
    The average person does not finish a triathlon.
    They sure as hell don't finish Oly's or HIMs.

Now,
    go finish your first triathlon.
    2015-03-26 2:30 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by alburyscott

Hi,

I have been in and around here for a bit, but never actually done a tri yet. There are a bunch of reasons, I hurt like hell when I run, I'm slow as hell on a bike, but mostly I'm ashamed of being the only fat guy out there.

Our local club has beginner tris, but since that's the main ones they run, it's almost all young fit people, basically the polar opposite of me! I did the bike leg of one of their tris once, and did so badly, and was so humiliated, I've never been back.

But I want to.

How do you all get over those feelings?

I would like to share something I stumbled across a couple years ago.  I was so moved by this that I posted it on my blog.  This summarizes my feelings and the feelings of most triathletes I know and train with.

http://goscottgo.info/index.php/blog/23-hey-fat-girl

Just know that to athletes, you are an inspiration and more highly respected than you can imagine.

2015-03-27 11:58 AM
    in reply to: k9car363

User image

Master
    Oceanside, California

I would like to share something I stumbled across a couple years ago.  I was so moved by this that I posted it on my blog.  This summarizes my feelings and the feelings of most triathletes I know and train with.

Just know that to athletes, you are an inspiration and more highly respected than you can imagine.

Pretty awesome post.

2015-03-27 1:48 PM
    in reply to: eabeam

User image

Sensei
    Sin City

I think just about EVERYONE has something they feel insecure about.  It's their weight, or height, or body shape, or speed, or ability.  So you are not alone when feeling insecure.

Will people notice that you are big?  Sure.  Will they say anything?  99% sure they wont.  I guarantee everyone is out there focused on their own race to really concern themselves about how big another competitor is.  Honestly, the person that probably cares the most?  Is you.

I'm 6'7" and raced at 235.  Started 25lbs heavier.  I felt much the same way.  This is NOT a sport for people like me.  But sometimes, that was even the driving factor.  People like me typically don't do this, so how unique does that make me?!  Don't get me started on tri suits which don't hide a THING.

Easier said than done (and maybe it comes with age).  You got to stop giving a rip what people think (IF they think anything at all - and in the tri world, I don't think it's very judgmental).  You are doing this for YOUR enjoyment, fitness and health.  Those are all good things, right? - who cares if someone thinks your too big, does that take away from any of the benefits this sport can provide?

Even after moderate success at tri, that awkward feeling never goes away.  I took a dance class with the wife.  I'm going to look awkward, but I'm doing it anyway.  I'm learning French and tried talking to someone from Paris and probably came across as a bumbling idiot, but I LOVE learning French.  I picked up Crossfit and I'm so pathetically weak for someone my size.  Gassed after 20 burpees and all the girls are lifting twice as much as me...  But it's FUN! and no one says (or probably even thinks) about how weak that big guy is.  They are too busy working out for them.

I think the feeling of insecurity and not being "good" at something is with us continuously throughout all aspects of life.  I get that.  Human nature.  The truly sad thing?  Is denying yourself things that are good for you and enjoyable during this limited time we call life because we have an imagined fear of what others may think (when most of the time, they are not thinking anything anyway)  And if they are?  Jerks going to be jerks and theirs nothing you can do to change that and I discount their opinion anyway.

I say go for it and forget about what people might think (and I'm going to repeat, what you think they may be thinking?  Is most likely just in your head anyway).

2015-03-28 2:18 AM
    in reply to: Kido

User image

Good article.

When I started this I couldn't swim a lap without feeling like I may drown, couldn't even get a water bottle off the bike to think about drinking it, and hadn't run unless I was made to in years. 18 months later I had finished a HIM and plan for a full this year. You can defiantly do this. BT is a great place for support. Join a mentor group there are lots of people who would love to help
    2015-03-28 4:12 PM

User image

Regular
    Houston, Texas
    Like anything, there are a small portion of elitists in triathlon, but 98% of the people in triathlon are decent, regular people - many who have used triathlon to lose weight and get them back in shape. And like many have said, you may be a source of inspiration to the next person.

I've often told my running friends that tri people are much friendlier and supportive than runners. And every one of them that has tried a triathlon came back and told me that was accurate. It may also help if you can find a local person who's in a similar situation that can join you. It beats training alone and it helps when you have friends in the sport to balance out the opinions of the few jerks.

Use the offseason to work on building up your base with slow, easy bikes and runs (or walks) and give it a shot again when the season rolls back around.

And keep posting here. As you can see, there are a lot of people that will encourage and support you.
    2015-03-28 8:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
    Originally posted by eabeam

Pretty awesome post.

X2 on the 'awesome post' comment !!

2015-04-06 1:28 AM

User image

Complete not Compete. Who cares how fast you are or how big you are. If you're out there, you're doing so much more than the guy sitting on his couch. Last place in a tri is still a guy who has completed a tri. That's a big accomplishment and no one can take it from you. Get out there and own it. Large and in charge!

2015-04-14 5:34 PM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    I know your feeling. Heck I feel that way now. I just signed up for the Chicago Marathon but I feel like a fraud. Even though I got in because I finished Chicago Marathon 5 out of the last 10 years I feeling like I do not belong since I lost all my endurance and worse I am heaviest I ever been.

I been such a bad biker I walked my bike up the hills during a race. I taken over 1 hour to swim 1/2 mile. Most people finished the OLY before I finished the sprint. You know what? I do not care because I did it. Yes the first race is always the hardest because you never know what to expect, but once its over its a good feeling. I am not even telling this to you I am telling you this for myself. Like I said I am right with you.

I think you should find a local 5k and do it. It will give you some race experience and you will see tons of people there who look just like you. I bet you will not even be last. Even if you are that is where you start from. The bar set and now you can go out and improve on that. Triathlons are about personal improvement really. That is why its a completely solo thing. You can not race as a team or anything. Just you and the course. Your only opponent are the goals you set on yourself.
    2015-04-27 10:28 AM

User image

New user

Chicago, Illinois
    A while back I was asked to write something for a blog from a local running store about being a beginning runner. It was about dealing with the anxiety of being a new runner, especially an out of shape, overweight one. Its one of the hardest parts of becoming an athlete.

Overcome New Runner’s Anxiety: Learning to Ignore What “They” Have To Say
    http://runningbig.com/2012/12/13/overcome-new-runners-anxiety-learn...

NOTE: No clickbait here. I don't get any advertising from my site. It hasn't actually been updated in a while. I guess I should do that.
    2015-05-04 6:26 PM
    in reply to: mrsilva

User image

Regular
    Albury, Australia
    Thank you all for your kind words. I am going to do a few this year (keep saying it until it is true), but probably not locally. I spoke to a good friend who is a bigger guy, an ironman, and helps run the club an hour or two away from me, and he said he experienced the same in our local club. Essentially it's an elite club (and the only one here), and their not really set up (or interested) in beginners. He not only felt similar here, but actively got abused for being a bigger guy.

So he has offered to out me up for the night, introduce me around, and help keep me accountable to training over winter. I'm excited to give it a go!
    2015-05-13 8:25 AM

User image

Regular
    Clinton, TN
    Originally posted by eabeam

Pretty awesome post.

Very awesome post. I can't tell you how many times I've felt like that.
    2015-05-16 9:54 PM

User image

I am there right now! I just FINISHED my second sprint today!! 1:29 and a few seconds. But that doesn't matter. I got my 255 lbs rear end off of my couch and completed a triathlon! I too limped about half of the 5k due to severely cramping hamstrings. And I also looked like an Easter egg in my trisuit(highly recommend the one piece suit. Wore 2 piece on my first sprint and my hairy belly was hanging out as I got out of the pool. Not the best first pic to see of your race photos.). But the awesome part was about half of the participants and there families cheering each other on. My favorite sign today was I quote "Hey random stranger, you are a triathlete! Way to go!" Talk about motivating. My second favorite was a 14 year old kid holding a sign at mile 2 of the run that had a small bullseye and said hit here for a power boost. Then about 12 minutes later as I crossed the finish line, the announcer called out my name as a finished and people who had no idea who I was were cheering me on. I finished! The hardest part is getting off of the couch. But, once you do and you cross that finish line, you will be hooked.

Good luck and just keep pedaling and one foot in front of the other!

2015-05-17 1:33 PM
    in reply to: Jcdyess

User image

Well done. I always like the sign that says smile if your peed in the pool hahahahha
    2015-05-20 12:08 AM

User image

Regular
    Houston, Texas
    Great to hear - sometimes having a friend accompany you really helps.
    2015-05-20 7:51 AM
    in reply to: #5102600

User image

Most people are more concerned with what you think about them, not what they think about you. Heck, most people don't even think.
    2015-06-11 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
    Montana
    The reason I am a race director is that I love to provide opportunities for people like you (and me.) Sure, those skinny, fast people are fun to watch, but my favorite part of triathlon is seeing someone who 'never imagined they could' become someone who CAN! Keep after it!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Embarrassed Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Kind of Embarrassing Question - Aero Position Pages: 1 2

Started by amykmo
    Views: 6731 Posts: 31

2010-04-18 3:37 PM Rudedog55

Too embarrassed to run Outside..sometimes

Started by 1st Timer in NY
    Views: 3168 Posts: 24

2008-02-27 5:58 PM dontlookback