General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Volunteering: Ironman Melbourne Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-22 6:15 PM

User image

Subject: Volunteering: Ironman Melbourne
Hi All,

I thought I'd share with you my experience last week as a volunteer at IRONMAN Melbourne.

The IRONMAN Asia-Pacific Championship took place in Melbourne yesterday. There were approximately 2500 competitors consisting predominantly of Age Group Triathletes and also professionals from around the world. I believe that for two thirds of the Age Groupers it was their first IRONMAN. I'm recently retired from work and was happy to give some of my time to help those racing.

Last Wednesday a group of 12 volunteers packed 2500 gear bags. The job was fairly straight forward and I was able to to talk to others about their reasons for volunteering. One lady had to get out of the house as her husband was doing his first IRONMAN and he was driving her crazy . Others had recently completed an IRONMAN or another race and wanted to return the favor for the volunteers that had helped them race.

On Saturday I worked in T2 helping with unloading & racking the bikes and explaining how the transition area would flow on race day. It was interesting to observe the competitors. Some would visualize or even walk through how they would transition in and out of the area. There were nervous comments about the amount of preparation, wind conditions etc and those who couldn't wait to get out on the course. I must admit I had a severe case of bike envy on Saturday.

Race day was Sunday and I wasn't scheduled to start until 12:00. This enabled me to watch the early parts of the race. I spent the afternoon in the transition (T2) tent helping the competitors change, pack their gear bags, direct them in and out of transition. The race leaders were in and out in a flash and so focused, they were definitely "in the zone". The age groupers fell into 2 categories; those that wanted to get in and out as quickly as possible and those who wanted to catch their breath and get their heart rate down. As the day progressed there seemed to be more in the latter category. There were lots of smiling faces to have made it to T2 and the competitors were very courteous and thanked the volunteers. The most memorable were helping world champions and then helping a blind competitor and his guide; absolutely amazing effort.

I strongly recommend that if you get the opportunity to volunteer at a race that you get involved and see the race from a different perspective.

2015-03-22 9:01 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Volunteering: Ironman Melbourne

Rod - Volunteering is pretty interesting, eh.  I find when I volunteer I pick up a lot of positive energy from all the athletes.  Glad you had a good experience.

I just looked at the results for IM Melbourne and Jeff Symonds finished first in 8:04!!  Pleased to say he's from Penticton.

2015-03-24 9:19 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I volunteered at IM Boulder finish line last summer (will do IM Boulder this year) and it was a great experience and very motivating! The finish is a great place to volunteer for anyone contemplating a 1st IM as it's very inspiring!
2015-03-24 10:34 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Thanks for volunteering. I volunteered in 2013 at IMMT at the finish line food tent. It was an amazing experience and I loved every minute of it. In 2014, I raced IMMT and the volunteers really make the race special. I want you to know that everyone who raced appreciated everything you did for them.
2015-03-25 4:28 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Good to hear about the experience! I went to have a watch, first at the BP on eastlink, and then the run station in Mordialloc (my mum was doing St Johns ambo there). I have never watched an IM or anything similar except the TV footage or Kona.. And I loved it. Very cool to watch!

For a bit of Australian pride, see if you can figure out who it is in the photo, as well as one of the womens winner (another Aussie!)

Also one of the signs I saw. The other one (on the bike course) said "At least you're not at work!'.

DSC_6851

DSC_6821

DSC_6832
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Volunteering: Ironman Melbourne Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IRONMAN MELBOURNE 3/25/12 !!!!!

Started by TriAya
Views: 3812 Posts: 24

2011-08-08 5:27 AM cottoneyes

Volunteering- rules regarding the "karma of volunteering"

Started by joelkratzer
Views: 1068 Posts: 8

2007-03-28 4:19 PM coachese

Volunteers for Ironman 70.3 California

Started by carverrt
Views: 1625 Posts: 3

2007-02-28 3:47 AM iwantotri

Volunteering at an Ironman...

Started by trigirl74
Views: 618 Posts: 11

2006-01-25 5:21 PM coachese

Ironman Wisconsin Volunteers

Started by coredump
Views: 1016 Posts: 5

2004-08-18 12:17 PM rookie44
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : July 5, 2008
author : lmscozz
comments : 4
My experience as a volunteer at a sprint triathlon. My reasons for arising before the sun were not to work out, but to volunteer. I wanted to give back to a sport I’m learning to love.
date : February 8, 2007
author : mscotthall
Everyone and anyone that has ever raced in a triathlon should take it upon themselves to volunteer at just one event next season. It is an eye-opening and inspirational experience.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!