General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to setup during day before bike checkin? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-23 5:22 AM

Subject: What to setup during day before bike checkin?
I'm doing a triathlon where I have to check my bike in the day before. Do people usually setup their transition area at that time just their bike? Distance from parking to T1 won't exactly be short and I don't want to be going back and forth to my car. And most triathlons I've done won't allow bags to be left in transition.

2015-03-23 6:31 AM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: What to setup during day before bike checkin?

Pretty much just rack your bike.  You should have access to it in the morning to setup your transition area, pump tires, and all that.

2015-03-23 7:06 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
In those situations, I normally would just leave the bike, not any equipment, and definitely leave the bike computer off until the day of the race.
2015-03-23 9:41 AM
in reply to: #5102670

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Nothing but racking the bike. Remove computers, bottles, etc. and put a plastic bag over the seat to keep it dry (not only from rain but also from the morning dew)
2015-03-23 9:49 AM
in reply to: audiojan

The main reason I ask is it looks like for this triathlon the parking is relatively far from the transition area and I don't think they have any shuttles for that. In my past triathlons, the parking has been close so I can go back and forth from transition to my car. And in my past triathlons, they didn't allow athletes to leave a bag anywhere in transition. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get every non-bike item to transition the morning of the triathlon. I emailed the race director to ask about leaving bags inside transition.
2015-03-23 10:32 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriTampa2 The main reason I ask is it looks like for this triathlon the parking is relatively far from the transition area and I don't think they have any shuttles for that. In my past triathlons, the parking has been close so I can go back and forth from transition to my car. And in my past triathlons, they didn't allow athletes to leave a bag anywhere in transition. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get every non-bike item to transition the morning of the triathlon. I emailed the race director to ask about leaving bags inside transition.

How much stuff do you have?

2015-03-23 12:00 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by TriTampa2 The main reason I ask is it looks like for this triathlon the parking is relatively far from the transition area and I don't think they have any shuttles for that. In my past triathlons, the parking has been close so I can go back and forth from transition to my car. And in my past triathlons, they didn't allow athletes to leave a bag anywhere in transition. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get every non-bike item to transition the morning of the triathlon. I emailed the race director to ask about leaving bags inside transition.

Bike helmet
Bike shoes
Running shoes ( I can wear this to transition of course)
Water bottles (2-3)
nutrition for race
small transition towel
running race belt
wetsuit
goggles
sunglasses

so pretty much normal stuff. I'm just saying being able to leave a bag in transition would be nice.
2015-03-23 3:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by TriTampa2

Bike helmet Bike shoes Running shoes ( I can wear this to transition of course) Water bottles (2-3) nutrition for race small transition towel running race belt wetsuit goggles sunglasses so pretty much normal stuff. I'm just saying being able to leave a bag in transition would be nice.

Carry the bike shoes and water bottles and wear everything else to transition - /problem solved.

Edited by Hook'em 2015-03-23 3:34 PM
2015-03-23 3:39 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Don't forget a pump! tires deflate overnight.
2015-03-23 5:23 PM
in reply to: audiojan

Originally posted by audiojan

Nothing but racking the bike. Remove computers, bottles, etc. and put a plastic bag over the seat to keep it dry (not only from rain but also from the morning dew)

Why would care if the seat is wet? Your butt is already wet when you get on the bike and you can always wipe it off if your going to warm up. I've never understood the plastic bag thing.
2015-03-23 6:31 PM

User image

Pro

Bike helmet Bike shoes Running shoes ( I can wear this to transition of course) Water bottles (2-3) nutrition for race small transition towel running race belt wetsuit goggles sunglasses so pretty much normal stuff. I'm just saying being able to leave a bag in transition would be nice.

What you need is a good five gallon bucket.  After you set up you can sit down on it and take in the sights.

2015-03-23 7:11 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

What you need is a good five gallon bucket.  After you set up you can sit down on it and take in the sights.

haha I like that idea.
2015-03-23 8:35 PM
in reply to: #5102670

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
For that situation, I carry all my stuff in a sling bag and attach the shoes and helmet to the straps plus carry the wetsuit in a plastic grocery bag. Then when you get to transition, empty the bag and put it flat under your transition towel since it lays flat (or use it as the transition towel).
2015-03-24 7:32 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by ziggie204

Originally posted by audiojan

Why would care if the seat is wet? Your butt is already wet when you get on the bike and you can always wipe it off if your going to warm up. I've never understood the plastic bag thing.

Guess my view point is greatly tainted by duathlons... :-)
2015-03-24 11:03 AM
in reply to: Mc Q

Originally posted by Mc Q

For that situation, I carry all my stuff in a sling bag and attach the shoes and helmet to the straps plus carry the wetsuit in a plastic grocery bag. Then when you get to transition, empty the bag and put it flat under your transition towel since it lays flat (or use it as the transition towel).

Thanks. That's a good idea.
2015-03-24 11:29 AM

haha I like that idea.

I'm going to make a fortune. Well, a small one. I'm going to invent a backpack/bag/carryall that's waterproof...carries just about everything you need and doubles as a comfy seat. I'll just have to make it not look like a bucket, license it to TYR or blueseventy and charge $147 for it instead of $4 so people will buy it.

Once I get that going, I'm heading for Shark Tank to get the money I need to develop similar things for lacrosse dads and moms, then soccer moms and dads. Baseball...you name it. Imagine if you're the snack parent that week, you wouldn't have to carry the snack bag AND the bag chair. Plus, you could put sunscreen in there, magazines, etc. It'd be waterproof, so you could put your cell in there. AND you'd have a nice seat.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to setup during day before bike checkin? Rss Feed