General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Connect not working?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-23 8:07 AM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Subject: Garmin Connect not working??
Just curious if anyone else is having issues with Garmin Connect not getting data that was "synced" from Garmin Express. Regardless of what I do, the data that I know is in my watch won't appear on Connect.. Frustrating

2015-03-23 10:09 AM
in reply to: lanzodt

Subject: RE: Garmin Connect not working??
I had issues last night as well. It kept giving me sync errors. Hopefully Garmin resolves this soon.
2015-03-23 10:50 AM
in reply to: #5102701

User image

Pineville, North Carolina
Problems here too...
2015-03-23 2:19 PM
in reply to: 0

They have some pretty sketchy sync technology going on. There's tons of posts about it everywhere. And not just on the older models.

I find that mine will often connect and then the auto-sync will fail.
When I hit the manual sync on Connect, if a run workout is first on the list chronologically, it will sync and continue to sync any run, but will fail at any bike workout and then all syncs after that will fail regardless of whether it was run/bike.

If I then shutoff the watch and restart it, it'll auto-sync everything left just fine.

I emailed Garmin awhile back before I figured this process. They said to delete the history and start anew. Being that I'm kind of fond of my miles (it's been a big part of my weightloss effort/pride/accomplishment thing). That's how I've discovered my successful approach.

Granted, I've got an older model, but I really hate the whole ANT thing. I like things hardwired. Also, I don't like the idea of losing the tiny ANT stick that's biggerr than a postage stamp and having to pay $50 for a new one. I'm considering gluing a big piece of plastic....like a plastic spoon or something... to it like they do with gas station bathroom keys. My phone is ANT compliant and has all sorts of native ANT capabilities, but the Garmin app only seems to account for Bluetooth capable devices....so even though my phone speaks ANT, the app won't recognize that. I see that it might be possible to hack (cludge, would be more accurate) around that with a dongle or the ANT stick right into the phone's USB. I need to try that and see if I have better luck.

Edited by jhaack39 2015-03-23 2:20 PM
2015-03-23 7:46 PM

User image

Hardwire doesn't help. Often the connections go bad and you get no communication. I had issues with my 305 all the time.

What they really should do is get rid of the ANT+ technology and move over to BTLE and Wi-Fi.

eta: While I've had my share of sync problems with my 910xt, it seems to be fine today.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-03-23 7:51 PM
2015-03-23 7:58 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I was able to auto sync today with no problem although I have had off and on problems over the past couple of days which is just the latest installment going back nearly a year.  I am pretty much to my breaking point with Garmin.  I have spent a small fortune to get a 310XT then upgrade to a 910XT and recently got a Fenix3, all of that on top of the Edge 810 and the Vectors.  Then, since I apparently hadn't learned my lesson yet, I got my wife a Garmin VivoFit.  She has had problems syncing since she got the device last September.  For the last several months it seems as though Garmin Express/Connect are unreliable at best and unusable at worst.  Most of our devices are pretty much worthless if I can't upload the data.  Garmin's position for the past several months has been, "We are aware of the problem and are working on a swift resolution."  My resolution is about to be throwing their crap in the trash!

Really sad Garmin user here getting ready to replace the lot with another brand that works!

Sorry, had to vent!

Edited by k9car363 2015-03-23 8:00 PM

2015-03-23 8:23 PM

User image

New user

I had problems with my 910xt the past few days. It would just keep trying to load the file to the dashboard but then would get an error. Have a 305 that still synced without problem. Tonight went to sync a swim from the 910xt and it worked fine. Try it again. Maybe they fixed whatever the issue was.

Edited by tpleff 2015-03-23 8:24 PM
2015-03-23 8:39 PM
in reply to: tpleff

User image

Garmin Connect has not uploaded the data from my 910xt in more than three weeks. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Garmin Express several times, and now it won't even finish pairing the ANT+ with the watch (it starts, but it won't finish). I am getting fed up. I am about to buy a new bike, and was going to put an 810 on it, but this is frustrating. Does anyone have an alternative to an 810 for a cycling computer?
2015-03-24 7:08 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Dang, I was hoping I was the only one and it was user error... I have a 310XT and I love it but I'm an engineer so it's very frustrating to not be able to see the graphs of HR, pace, elevation etc =(

Oh well, I hope they get their act together fast
2015-03-24 10:50 AM

Originally posted by lanzodt

Dang, I was hoping I was the only one and it was user error... I have a 310XT and I love it but I'm an engineer so it's very frustrating to not be able to see the graphs of HR, pace, elevation etc =(

Oh well, I hope they get their act together fast

I even have a refurbbed version. Have you been able to sync at all?
Mine will, but not on the initial connect/auto-sync process. And manually syncing is almost completely unsuccessful. I discovered my 'fix' by leaving the watch on sitting next to the computer one day. Came back a few hours later and saw that it synced. Now, I just let it connect, let the sync fail....and then speed the process along with something as an engineer I'm sure you're familiar with....the old turn it off and back on again. The watch, that is. I'm betting that I won't have problems as long as I don't try to sync immediately after a workout without cycling power on the watch. Something in the tracking/recording mode that makes the sync process vomit?

It's like when they had trouble with the first space shuttle launch when the primary and backup computers were getting out of sync right before launch. They sent the engineers into a room to figure it out. They came out with a solution...reboots... and the head of the launch team or whatever exclaimed something to the effect of "You mean we're going to fix a bazillion dollar machine the same way I fix my TV at home?"

Here was the response I got from Garmin support:
---snip---

Thank you for contacting Garmin International, I will be happy to help you with the 310 that you have there and the trouble that you are seeing with the sync.

So, the first thing we want to try is deleting the data that you have already uploaded. Please follow the steps below:

Power on the device.
Press "mode".
Select "History".
Select "Individual Activities" to select them one at a time or "Old Activities" to select everything over a month.
Confirm that you do want to delete the activities.
We want to remove all the data that you have already uploaded.

Now, please restart the device and then try uploading new data using Express. If it still doesn't work, we will need to Master Reset the device. Unfortunately, this will remove all the user data from the device. So, anything that is not uploaded will be lost. Please follow the steps below:

Power the Forerunner off.
Press and hold the "Enter" and "Mode" buttons.
Press and release "Power" button.
Press and release "Lap/Reset" (the watch will power off).
Wait 3 seconds.
Release "Enter" and "Mode".
The reset on the Forerunner 310XT is only successful if the device finishes powering up, and goes to the setup wizard. Repeat the steps again if the setup wizard does not appear.
Leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite data once the reset and setup wizard are complete.

Now, we need to pair the device with Express again. Please follow the next steps:

Launch Express.
Make sure the Forerunner 310XT is displaying in the upper-left corner and click on the "Device" tab.
Click on "Delete Device from Express".
Confirm that you want it deleted.
Make sure the ANT Stick is plugged into the computer.
On the device, create a fake 15 - 20 second workout and save it.
In Express, either click on "Get started" if that option is there or click on the drop-down menu for the devices (in the upper-left) and select "Add New Device".
When prompted, please choose to pair on both the watch and the computer.
Follow the on-screen prompts to add your device to Express.

Now, your future data should be able to upload successfully. Let us know if you still have trouble.

Edited by jhaack39 2015-03-24 11:09 AM
2015-03-24 7:13 PM

User image

Master
Garmin Express has been nothing but a headache for me. I ended up switching back to Ant Agent and things have been fine. I'm sure Garmin will get the bugs worked out at some point. I really think Garmin wants to control the data their devices gather. I prefer storing my own library of .fit files.

FWIW I also use a Python script on Linux which extracts and stores the files so I can use then anywhere I want.

2015-03-25 7:56 AM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Originally posted by pschriver

Garmin Express has been nothing but a headache for me. I ended up switching back to Ant Agent and things have been fine. I'm sure Garmin will get the bugs worked out at some point. I really think Garmin wants to control the data their devices gather. I prefer storing my own library of .fit files.

FWIW I also use a Python script on Linux which extracts and stores the files so I can use then anywhere I want.

Sounds like the solution I want. So does ANT Agent actually store the files on your computer rather than solely transferring them up to Connect?
2015-03-25 7:59 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Carmel, Indiana
Has anyone had success with the solution that Garmin provided jhaack39? BTW this thread was a complete jinx, 1st time in several months I had sync issues w/my Fenix 2. However, I was able to successfully transfer the data by finding the workout file and manually uploading on Garmin Connect.
2015-03-25 8:10 AM
in reply to: EKinIndy

User image

Regular
, Ohio
No. I tried what jhaack39 posted in addition to what Garmin sent me (see below)... Sorry that I jinxed you

** Email from Garmin **

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I would be happy to assist you today.

If everything is up to date please try a transfer all. Sometimes when there is a momentary issue with syncing, Garmin Express will think everything is sunk even though its not. There fore it won't transfer anything over to avoid doubles.

To get the watch to transfer all activities, please follow the steps below.
1. Power on the Forerunner 310xt
2. Press Mode to access the main menu
3. Select History
4. Select Transfer All

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you.
2015-03-25 8:33 AM

User image

Two days ago, I emailed Garmin because I hadn't been able to transfer data in about a month. They emailed me back with a bunch of questions yesterday, so last night, I got on the computer and tried to replicate the problem to create screen captures. The watch came on, wiped out all of its settings, connected, let me create a 1 sec dummy workout, and everything uploaded. Hmmm. In the email that I sent Garmin, I included my watch's serial number. I am wondering if they reset it, like the satellite radio in my car was reset once. It is just very odd that I would struggle and struggle, then suddenly, it works, but the watch was completely reset. The really strange thing is that somehow, all of my workouts for the last month were suddenly available in Garmin Connect.

I don't know, I am now looking into a bike computer from Shimano/Magellan because of this whole thing.
2015-03-25 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by lanzodt

Originally posted by pschriver

Sounds like the solution I want. So does ANT Agent actually store the files on your computer rather than solely transferring them up to Connect?

I honestly can't answer this question for Windows. Ant Agent used to store the .fit files in ~/username/Garmin/Activities but I don't have administrative privileges on my Widows box at work and don't have any Window boxes at home after switching to Linux. The python script I use is found here https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/garmin-ant-downloader.It stores all of my files and allows me to back them up.

My set up at work is kinda nice. I walk in the room with the device on and it simply uploads to Garmin Connect via Ant Agent and then synchs with BT and TP. I don't have to do anything and Ant Agent doesn't try to synch with the device or delete anything unlike Garmin Express. I am certain Garmin will try to drop support for Ant Agent at some point because they want to control the device and the data. At that point I will use the Linux hacks only

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Connect not working?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Garmin HRM not working

Started by smithat05
Views: 662 Posts: 2

2013-07-17 11:59 AM jmkizer

Garmin 305 not working in multisport mode

Started by north_north_west
Views: 1711 Posts: 11

2013-07-05 3:30 PM jayhawk_sean

Garmin 305 HR Monitor Not Working

Started by wbattaile
Views: 916 Posts: 4

2013-05-22 12:57 PM wbattaile

Uploading Garmin connect work-outs to FR610

Started by Izlude
Views: 861 Posts: 2

2013-05-07 10:26 AM Greshe

Garmin cadence monitor not working properly

Started by JCBS
Views: 1596 Posts: 6

2012-02-15 3:25 PM DiOnMaui
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.