General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
World Triathlon Corporation
26C / 79F
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 23m 43s
Overall Rank = 1093/2500
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 8/23
Pre-race routine:

Shower, tattoo, clothes, breakfast, mobilisation exercises, hydration
Event warmup:

Minimal specific warm up
Swim
  • 1h 07m 22s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start was rolling and I seeded myself in the last zone 4. When the athletes were on the beach there was no real separation between zones and I ended up too far back. I don't think this affected my swim time though, I felt good passing lots of people and the field was nicely spread out.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I would start further forward and get a better chance to draft.
Transition 1
  • 08m 13s
Comments:

The volunteers helped with transition which I wasn't used to and it confused me a bit. I took my time and made sure I had everything and sunscreen on arms and face. Toilet on the way to get bike and run through transition area.

Be ready with instruction for the volunteers.
Bike
  • 6h 21m 12s
  • 180 kms
  • 28.33 km/hr
Comments:

The bike was a bit of an unknown as I hadnt done 180k in one go on my own before. I probably held back a bit and tried to concentrate on cycling steadily and eating and drinking every 20 mins. The wind played a big part and the tailwind seemed to turn into a headwind in the last 15km. Tried to use small chainring as much as possible in the last 5km.

Don't fall off the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

Volunteers helped again and I was ready with instructions. Took my time and made sure I reapplied sunscreen to face and arms. Ate a banana between getting off bike and arriving at T2. Visited the loo on the way to run course.

Nothing.
Run
  • 4h 43m 44s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 06m 43s  min/km
Comments:

Started out a bit fast but settled into a good pace trying to keep the cadence up. Had a gel at the start then started eating bites of energy bars every 20 mins. Aid stops I took water and ice cubes to suck and whatever else I felt I needed. At special needs stop I had salted crisps and my thermal top which I didn't use in the end but I tied it round my waist. I focused on getting to the line 29k, then 36k, once there I felt like I had it done. I noticed that many people were walking and my goal was to keep running all the way to the end, which I did!

Try not to go too fast at the start.
Post race
Warm down:

Just grabbed gear, had a sandwich and came back to apartment for shower, dinner, bubbly and bed in compression gear.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing on the day

Event comments:

Awesome course for a first full ironman. The weather was excellent on the day but I imagine it could be challenging weather if you're unlucky. The volunteers were all excellent and supporters along the way made it all the more enjoyable.

Last updated: 2014-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:07:22 | 3800 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 709/2500
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Ocean course out from pier then parallel to beach and back to pier.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:21:12 | 180 kms | 28.33 km/hr
Age Group: 9/23
Overall: 1307/2500
Wind: Some
Course: Two laps of out and back course mostly on Eastlink highway. There was a slight headwind on the way out, a few rolling hills then the tunnel at the end for a downhill and uphill. On the way back there was a good tailwind so it was a quick return. At the turnaround I fell off when I bumped into a traffic cone. Got back on and kept going but had bruises coming up on my right side. Enjoyed my coffee stop at the special needs stop at 95k then is was hard into the headwind which had strengthened but again enjoyed tailwind on the way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:43:44 | 42.2 kms | 06m 43s  min/km
Age Group: 8/23
Overall: 1093/2500
Course: Short run South on board walk then turnaround and back through Frankston and along Nepean highway to Mordialloc. Along the beach track all the way to St Kilda. First half was hot but started to cool around 30/35 km.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-03-23 10:20 PM

New user

Auckland, North Island
Subject: Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne

2015-03-24 2:10 PM
in reply to: #5102933

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne

I saw in your "pre-race routine" that you had tattoo listed and I thought "wow, that's bold.  Not only got the M-dot ink before the race but did it so close" and then I realized you must be talking about your race number!!!  

Kidding of course... great job!  Seems like you had a nice steady day that I'm sure was executed according to plan so no major problems.  Awesome.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne

Started by stesmi
Views: 723 Posts: 1

2014-09-01 8:59 AM stesmi

Started by nigelw
Views: 2214 Posts: 4

2013-05-15 5:10 PM cottoneyes

Started by swiss tri
Views: 1974 Posts: 5

2012-04-03 8:33 PM swiss tri

Started by thecouch
Views: 1806 Posts: 9

2012-03-29 5:41 AM daisymouse

Ironman 70.3 Asia Pacific Championship at Laguna Phuket

Started by lizmoll
Views: 1348 Posts: 1

2010-12-11 9:20 PM lizmoll
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : November 6, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 2
When the air horn went off, I did my best to simulate laps in the pool, but that dang panic came over me again, causing me to breaststroke until I could calm my breathing.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!

My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.