General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sliding forward on saddle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-24 12:35 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: Sliding forward on saddle
Hey Guys,

I finished a Du over the weekend, and on the first lap of the Bike course I had horrible calf cramps... I realized it was because I was sliding forward on my saddle and in essence making the seat post shorter... once I figured that out and scooted back and kept myself there, the cramps went away... rather quickly...

So my question is... how do I keep from sliding forwards on my saddle? I'm using a road bike with clip on aero bars for your reference.

2015-03-24 3:24 PM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Sliding forward on saddle

1.  some tri saddles come with a rougher area towards the nose, which helps you stay put. 

2. It's normal to get forward on a TT bike.  Opens up the hip angle more.  Generally a good thing.

3.  tip the saddle back just a touch.  might cause other discomfort, but it will keep you from sliding forward.

4.  Yes- raise the saddle a bit, as a more forward position will bring you closer to the pedals.

but yeah,- this sounds is a general issue with putting tt bars on a road bike.  You're trying to get into a TT position, which IS more forward, and the bike position isn't really set up for it.  TT bikes have a higher seat post angle, getting your butt, up and over the pedals rather than behind them.  Basically, you rotate your whole body around the crank axis.

and then, when you do get yourself forward on your road bike with TT bars- it will get wobbly as you'll be too far forward.  such is life.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sliding forward on saddle Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sliding or removing rim strip? (Flo Wheels)

Started by Anachronism
Views: 1274 Posts: 8

2013-04-29 9:45 AM cxk9758

ISM Racing Saddle vs. ISM Road Saddle

Started by living2tri
Views: 3567 Posts: 4

2011-01-19 2:26 PM living2tri

Slide Boards for training

Started by cardenas1
Views: 664 Posts: 2

2010-05-06 7:02 PM triosaurus

Forward Saddle Position - inverting the seatpost

Started by tasr
Views: 909 Posts: 7

2008-04-16 12:21 PM tasr

Tri saddle or road saddle?

Started by MLJ
Views: 843 Posts: 2

2008-02-02 11:44 PM tkbslc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : March 13, 2009
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.
date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.

date : August 5, 2008
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : June 16, 2008
author : AMSSM
What are all these new funny-shaped saddles all about? Are they more comfortable than older designs? Will they keep me healthier so I can train on my bike longer? Should I change my saddle?

date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.
date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching

date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?