AU
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 57m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 42/
Pre-race routine:

I laid out all my gear Friday, so that on Saturday I could do a quick double check and pack it accordingly to T1 and T2 needs and get them into transition along with the bike.

Slept terribly the night before, thankfully had a great week of sleep prior. So much doubt as to whether I could actually do this given my training has been so light on.

Cooked 3 crumpets with honey, grabbed a banana and water and sat back while my biggest supporter Mum drove me down to Frankston.
Event warmup:

Somewhat stressful. The queue for the bathroom was long, as a result I had less than 10 min in transition. All I had to do was pump my tires, put my frozen bottles and shoes on and stash my snacks.

Met up with my Mum again, she gave me a hug and I was off to self seed the swim start.
Swim
  • 1h 19m 11s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Easily my most disappointing leg. The swim was a self seeded, I opted for the 1:08-1:20 group. It was a rolling swim start where they let of 6 people every 6 seconds. I met a lovely chick at the start and we chatted about our journey. I wish I'd gotten her race number! I think because we were talking a whole lot of people managed to sneak in front of us. Oops.

Then I was off. There was about 150m of sand bank before the swimming really started. The first 850m to the first buoy was relatively easy following the pier. The next 150m was ok too. Then it got tough, sighting into the sun to find the third buoy was tough.

As was finding the forth buoy!
Swimming back in was somewhat easier.

I felt like I passed a lot of people, I found next to no one to draft off. My sighting into the sun was occasionally off, I just couldn't see. When I could my navigation was spot on.

The water was so clear, I saw scuba divers, starfish, no jelly fish and no stingrays!
What would you do differently?:

More open water swimming.
I need to swim more frequently.
Transition 1
  • 07m 9s
Comments:

Ran up into transition and heard my name yelled out. I was so focused I had no idea who it was. I knew that my day started now and that with the swim done this IM was mine!

I wore one piece bathers under my wetsuit and it proved difficult to remove. I'd consider either two piece or wearing my tri top and bather bottoms next time.

Got my gear on, all about comfort and sunscreen and headed out. I saw Mum just before I grabbed my bike, I was stoked.

Consider wardrobe!
Bike
  • 6h 58m 12s
  • 180 kms
  • 25.82 km/hr
Comments:

Course is 2 laps out and back along Eastlink. Somehow I failed at Garmin 910xt multisport mode and had no idea of my swim time. My secret bike goal was to go under 7 hours. I knew I had to average almost 26km/hr

1st out: Established high cadence into headwind, nutrition strategy (eating every half hour), bringing HR down and keeping negative thoughts at bay.

Just before the turnaround at Ringwood you enter the Mullem Mullem tunnel. I was literally freaking out when I saw the climb back out on the return journey.

At the turnaround Matt and Erin were there cheering me on. Bolstered me no end.

1st back: Turns out the climb out of the tunnel was nothing to worry about, because tailwind! Sitting on 33km/hr without pushing hard? Hello bike time goal, you're in reach.
Was fun heading into town, hearing my name called out, but hard knowing how hard the next lap out was going to be.

2nd out: Stopped halfway to go to the bathroom, then there was a focus on drinking more. This lap was tough into the headwind that had really picked up.

2nd in: And then things got tough. It got hotter and the wind swung around. More headwind. My feet were aching, I had to get them out of my shoes for a bit. There were very few people on course at this stage. It was difficult to keep spirits up. Heading back into town consistently looking at the clock to see if I could do a sub 7 and... just!!

Jumped off at the dismount line, handed my bike to a volunteer who racked it for me. Took my shoes off and carried them into transition.

My friends think I'm totally crazy that I don't have a tri bike.
I rode within my limits and didn't cook myself, I was pretty happy.
Transition 2
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

This felt like so much longer. Bike gear off, tri suit & more sunscreen on.
I remember the volunteer holding out my body glide and I was just staring at her blankly thinking what do I need that for.

Next time I'll body glide the inside of my socks so when my brain doesn't work my feet won't hate me.
Run
  • 5h 28m 49s
  • 42 kms
  • 07m 50s  min/km
Comments:

Everything hurt! In an odd way, my ribs and stomach muscles and obliques all sore. And running, seriously? Who thought I could do this after the ride?? I knew that if I could maintain a pace faster than 7:55/km I could potentially PB this.

The first 3km hurt and I honestly felt as though I was going to do a hell of a lot more walking than I did. I was dreading the run to Mordi but in the end it wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated. It's flat! I kept telling myself, this is easy! I just kept tapping away.

Aid stations were every 2-3km or so, there were 1km markers which I liked and heaps of people lined the street supporting, so many more than I'd anticipated. It was totally fine. My mental goal was to get to Mordi where my Mum would be.

I stopped and walked almost every aid station grabbing water, ice and coke. I took a gel at 16km at that was about it. I tucked into watermelon at some stations and later on some lollies.

I saw Mum at Mordi about 18km, she was like your swim time was awesome, at 1:19 I was pissed off and disappointed. She told me she would be with my Bro and Lena at the Black rock clock tower. She confessed later that I wasn't looking so good at that stage!

A short time later the hills started to kick in, I stopped for the bathroom, which bought some comfort, and opted for a walk the hills, run the flats/declines approach. Trotting along and there's two familiar faces Pete and Stevie T. I was totally wrapt. So good to see them.

The next goal was to get to the clock tower, where high giving my Bro and huge woop woops from Lena bolstered me. Mum said I had really picked up at this stage.

The sun was starting to set which earned me a glow necklace. A lot of people were walking but I just kept trotting slowly. At one of the aid stations I saw my old tri coach. Stevie T and Pete kept popping up encouraging me, Will and Jen joined me for a brief run.

With about 9km to go I was battling, Kris appeared and walked with me for a bit. He bought me news that his brother had gone sub-10. I was so excited to hear. I was ready to run again and he left me to it.

Just before Brighton baths I could hear massive cheers. I thought to myself I'd better run this section. Never in a million years did I think it would be my crew! Pete, Mel, Garrit, Amy, Mick, Sophie & Stevie all cheering for me.

And then it all got hard. 6km to go appears to be my nemesis! Going past home was mentally tough. Had chats to a guy doing his first IM and we pushed ourselves onwards.

The 39th km was my slowest. My knees were aching in a pulled muscle way and I could feel something wasn't right with my left little toe. My jogs were short and painful.

At 2km to go I lifted my game. I was like we have to run through here there'll be heaps of people and there were. And then to the finish line. Lots of your there, you've got this. I had hold it together. Turning onto the red carpet - what a relief. I could hear my name being cheered by friends and family, it was amazing. I knew I had the potential for a PB and just wanted to finish so I didn't stop on the red carpet I kept going.

My running isn't awesome at the best of times. I should/could have run a little more in the last 5km but it is what it is.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried not to cry. Had my pic taken with towel and medal, then off for a tiny bit of pasta, ice cream and a change of clothes. I skipped the massage because the thought of someone touching me was unbearable. Out to meet with my family and recap.

It was tough, of course, but I really had a great day.

I am in awe of the volunteers. They made this race. By every single one I encountered I was met with a huge smile and words of encouragement. Massive thanks!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Talent!

Event comments:

So good, I'm going back next year.

Last updated: 2015-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:11 | 3800 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Essentially a T shaped course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:58:12 | 180 kms | 25.82 km/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:28:49 | 42 kms | 07m 50s  min/km
Performance: Good
Course: One way Frankston to Melbourne.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-03-24 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Ironman Melbourne

2015-03-24 8:01 PM
in reply to: #5103175

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Melbourne
Great report to read. Sounds like a tough day that ended great.
Congrats ! You are an ironman !
2015-03-25 8:33 AM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Great job, ironman! Way really be strong mentally for a long day! 

2015-03-26 2:40 PM
in reply to: #5103175

great report and congratulations!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Melbourne Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne

Started by stesmi
Views: 723 Posts: 1

2014-09-01 8:59 AM stesmi

Started by nigelw
Views: 2214 Posts: 4

2013-05-15 5:10 PM cottoneyes

Started by swiss tri
Views: 1974 Posts: 5

2012-04-03 8:33 PM swiss tri

Ironman Melbourne

Started by nigelw
Views: 3337 Posts: 23

2012-04-10 8:53 AM Bevie

Started by thecouch
Views: 1806 Posts: 9

2012-03-29 5:41 AM daisymouse
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.