General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Scheduling/planning my training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-25 1:36 AM

Subject: Scheduling/planning my training
Hi everybody

I am new in triathlon but I would very much like to schedule/plan my training.

I can see trainingpeaks.com but I can't find anything else (web-site, software or app). Is that right?

How do you schedule your training in terms of work, leisure interests, other family activities and so on in a busy life?
I am not a pro )

2015-03-25 6:12 AM
in reply to: #5103284

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Scheduling/planning my training
How far out do you know your own schedule? How consistent is your own schedule?

For me i took one of the plans off this site and put it down on a blank calender. Then I put all my personal stuff on there as well. Some times I miss due to a late meeting or my wife going to yoga. But, it happens.

Then I loaded it all into my Google calender. Now, I can look on my phone and see what the time/distance/workout is for each day.
2015-03-25 6:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I basically start each season by working out a weekly plan of when I'm going to do various kinds of workouts. This often has to do with work time commitments, availability of facilities (pool, safe venue for outdoor rides), as well as other variables like weather and traffic. If I was using a pre-made plan, I'd then fit in the workouts around that. If designing my own, first decide how many swims, bikes, and runs I wanted to do. I try to make sure that I didn't schedule things back to back that don't go well together, like hard running less than 24 hours after a hard ride, or swimming after weight training. Then I plug in the specific workouts where they fit best. When I write my own plans I'm usually looking at a number of references for ideas and specific workouts.

If write your plan on a computer (doc, spreadsheet, or the "My Training Plan" on BT, which you have access to with some paid memberships), it's a bit easier to switch things around. Depending on your membership, it's even possible to import BT plans directly to your Training Plan, switch days around, or create a custom plan. It might be possible to import from TP--not sure as I don't use it. I know some people use Google Calendar so they can input training as well as work and family commitments and get a better sense of the "big picture". Might be especially useful if your daily schedule isn' t very predictable. You can even set it up to get e-mailed reminders of your workout "event". My work commitments are normally very predictable (teacher), so for me it's simplest just to put it in a word doc, on the BT site, or even just write it in a notebook. I've done all of those and they work okay.

For reference, here's my current basic weekly plan (for a HIM) and why things are where they are:

Monday PM: Swim workout. Legs tired from Sunday brick, but arms are rested! Pool only available PM.
Tuesday AM: Run with speed work. Normally I'm recovered from the weekend by then. AM is cooler and much less traffic, predictably no other demands on my time between 5 or 6:30 AM! PM: Weight training. It fits in then, as I have no after-work meetings and gym isn't open before 6 AM.
Wednesday AM: Bike trainer workout. Works better than PM as I have a longish meeting after school Wed.
Thursday AM: Easy run.(since previous two days had intensity with bike or run) PM: Swim
Friday AM: Bike trainer workout (not PM as that would affect Saturday's run)
Saturday AM: Long run, sometimes with some tempo work. (Since it's cooler AM, and on weekends I have more time to do a longer run, refuel, and rest up afterwards.) PM: Swim, usually longer, endurance type sets with a bit lower intensity (since pool hours are longer).
Sunday AM: Long bike/run brick. The venue where I ride outdoors is only available then. PM: Strength training. It just fits well into my schedule then. I usually go light on the legs on that day.

Last year I did more double workout days, with more (4 bikes and 5 runs instead of current 3 and 4, respectively), somewhat shorter workouts, but I found recovery was more difficult and I struggled with fatigue and minor illnesses/injuries. For me it seems to work better to do fewer, longer workouts with more recovery time between them. It isn't conventional wisdom, but it works for my body and my lifestyle. It's things like these that you learn to work out when you design your own program.

Hope this is useful.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-03-25 6:53 AM
2015-03-25 6:45 AM
in reply to: lkudsk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by lkudsk How do you schedule your training in terms of work, leisure interests, other family activities and so on in a busy life? I am not a pro )

My best piece of advice is to make your schedule/plan work for you, and not the other way around.  People tend to get way too fixated on a plan and let the plan lead their way.  Think about what days, time of day, etc. that you have available to train and wedge the plan into your already existing schedule and life.  Newer triathletes have a tendency to train themselves into a brick wall.  Veteran athletes as well.

Yes, there's a reason some workouts are scheduled a certain way and all that but, as a sometimes coach, it's more important you actually do the workouts as opposed to when you do the workouts.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Scheduling/planning my training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

A few questions for the experienced in planning a training schedule

Started by Kermat89
Views: 830 Posts: 4

2012-10-26 7:36 AM erik.norgaard

Planning a training schedule for the next two weeks

Started by ckb_nc
Views: 471 Posts: 1

2012-06-29 12:08 PM ckb_nc

Tri Schedule / Training Plans - HM to Oly to HIM

Started by islandflyer
Views: 1120 Posts: 3

2011-01-11 11:59 AM peto_primo

Race Schedule and Training Plan

Started by adameldridge
Views: 797 Posts: 7

2007-09-15 10:11 AM adameldridge

Schedule Planning for next year...

Started by emartin10
Views: 930 Posts: 14

2005-12-18 9:50 PM emartin10
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : June 22, 2010
author : jasongootman
Design a triathlon race schedule with the right amount and right types of races to help you peak at the right time.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.
date : September 11, 2004
author : westfried
Fact is, it's tough. Best bet is to do the training that you can, and let the chips fall where they may.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 20 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.