General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is a swimming watch worth it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-25 8:14 PM

User image

Subject: Is a swimming watch worth it?
I've lost my Garmin and have to get a new one. I've been looking at the 310xt which also has the capability to go in the water. I'm wondering whether that's a function that a lot of others use or is it just nice to have but not really useful. I guess I can't see myself bothering to look at it and reset when I'm doing laps in the pool. I could see it being more useful for open water.

2015-03-25 8:21 PM
in reply to: #5103550

Bismarck, ND
Subject: RE: Is a swimming watch worth it?
I splurged on the 910XT for that reason. I haven't done a lot of pool swims with the watch but it registers your turns for you. I didn't think the 310 would be all that useful in the pool. But, I could be wrong.
2015-03-25 8:52 PM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

No, 310 won't do much for you in the pool.  Well, i guess if you swam in an outdoor pool but you'd have to wear it in your swim cap to get somewhat reasonable distance.  It doesn't measure distance well when you wear it on your arm. 

I have a perfectly functional 310 i got before the 910 and now 920 came out - so i got the Garmin Swim.  So, i have two watches but it's pretty good and gives me the swim metrics i would get on the 910 but not for the same cost. I'll use the 310 when i OWS and in races using multisport mode

2015-03-25 9:00 PM
in reply to: b2run

I have a 910xt that works in swimming.

It can be handy, sure, but I do not think it's remotely necessary. In fact, I don't even use mine in the pool anymore.

The autolap count thing is neat, but I found it got confused from time to time with my rest intervals, or if I changed up from flip turns to open turns. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's really annoying. 

It's also obviously an expensive watch, and since the battery dies fast enough that you can't wear it as a regular day watch, the risk of losing a $350+ watch isn't too pleasant.

A $25-35 Timex ironman watch and it's stopwatch and lap button have been the best solution. You wont' miss a thing with it. 

The Garmin 910xt is also really dodgy in measuring OWS. I've found it to be between 10 and 30% off the actual distance - and it's not just because I don't swim straight - I have GPS plots in a narrow channel swim that shows my position during the swim veering off onto land (and quite a bit onto land) and zigzagging back and forth when I clearly didn't do that since it was a narrow channel, easy to stay in the middle. I've had a few lucky race swims where the results lined up as it should, but a lot more dodgy data swims.

2015-03-25 9:58 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
As said above, a bit dodgy in open water, at least with the 310xt you can stick it in the swimcap with the quick release kit and still get the distance for cheaper.

I've used a 310xt for years, and borrowed a friend's 910xt and LOVED the pool metrics. Since then I went and bought myself a used garmin swim

If you're not going to use it in the pool, I wouldn't bother with full on swim functionality tbh.
2015-03-25 10:01 PM

Originally posted by b2run

I've lost my Garmin and have to get a new one. I've been looking at the 310xt which also has the capability to go in the water. I'm wondering whether that's a function that a lot of others use or is it just nice to have but not really useful. I guess I can't see myself bothering to look at it and reset when I'm doing laps in the pool. I could see it being more useful for open water.

No it's not. Pools have clocks on the wall and they're free to use!

2015-03-26 6:50 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I use the stopwatch function on a $25 timex ironman watch. If my pool had a pace clock I would be using that instead, its all your need.
2015-03-26 6:55 AM

User image

Okay, it seems like I probably don't need a swimming watch. Any recommendations for a running watch? I need something with a big display so my old eyes can see the numbers. On my last watch, I regularly used distance, time, average pace and current pace.
2015-03-26 7:16 AM
in reply to: mike761

Baltimore, MD
Originally posted by mike761

I use the stopwatch function on a $25 timex ironman watch. If my pool had a pace clock I would be using that instead, its all your need.

x2. I use the stopwatch function for long swims and hit the lap button at every 100. That helps me track my progress and pace over longer swims. I use the interval timer for sets. I only occasionally look at the pool clock.
2015-03-26 8:06 AM
in reply to: #5103552

User image

Assuming your pool has a pace clock, that's really all you need. My 910xt is nice in the pool, but I wouldn't have spent that kind of money just for a swim watch (the 910 was my first GPS watch ever, so I splurged a bit on cost to get one that could do all three disciplines). I have yet to try the 910 on an open water swim, so I can't speak to that functionality.
2015-03-26 10:40 AM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Katy, Texas
I got a 910xt used off of ebay for around $150. I absolutely love it for swimming and hate it when I forget to take it to the pool. During your workout it doesn't give too much feedback, but to me, the data after is invaluable. I like that it gives me an overall average per 100m at the end of my workout too, so I can (sort of) gauge where I am. Finally, it then uploads automatically to your training log and Garmin connect. I can see my stroke count, ave pace, rest time, etc etc for an entire workout. I can see my stroke count when I'm in z4 vs z2 and use that to evaluate my stroke efficiency at different effort levels. For example, I always thought my stroke fell apart during sprints, but I found those to be my lowest stroke counts. Anyway, the point is, if you like data...and I freakin LOVE data, I think this is a must. It also allows me to maintain all my workout logs with no additional effort as it automatically uploads way more information than you ever could manually. Regarding "glitches" on turns....I don't believe it actually uses the flip to tell when you're turning, but the glide off the wall. i.e. once it detects a couple of seconds of non momentum changes (during your push off) it registers a lap. So it's not flip turns vs open turns that's the problem, it's not getting enough of a push off the wall....so stretch out and glide off that wall...

2015-03-26 11:59 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

As you can see, some people really like all the extra data and some don't.  It's really up to you how important that extra information is.

Personally, I've come full circle with it all.  I started with just wanting a way to count my laps as I lose track anytime I get past 3 or 4 and I wanted my times so I could gauge my workout.  I bought a Swimovate watch which had just about all the metrics you could want downloaded onto the computer.  It was pretty cool but I lost interest after a few months and sold the watch.  I now use a Sportcount finger counter that keeps track of my laps, is easy to read, and also gives me my splits.  I take a quick look while I'm resting, see how close I am to my planned pace, and reset it for the next.  Pretty simple.

In open water, I use a 910xt and have found it to be a good tool.  I don't download data but use it to measure my distance and pace.    Where I swim there are fixed bouys that I use as waypoints.  My watch is always exactly on the distance from swim to swim.  There is a fairly common route around the lake that others have measured using various tools and my measurements are in the ballpark.

2015-03-26 12:03 PM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Only if you do flip turns.
2015-03-26 12:09 PM
in reply to: schaumi

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by schaumi

Originally posted by mike761

x2. I use the stopwatch function for long swims and hit the lap button at every 100. That helps me track my progress and pace over longer swims. I use the interval timer for sets. I only occasionally look at the pool clock.

I will say it 1000x Finis Tempo Trainer is awesome for pacing and making you accountable in your intervals. I set it to my goal pace per 25m and swim to the numbers. You can also race the beep like the world record line.
2015-03-26 4:45 PM

Originally posted by b2run

Okay, it seems like I probably don't need a swimming watch. Any recommendations for a running watch? I need something with a big display so my old eyes can see the numbers. On my last watch, I regularly used distance, time, average pace and current pace.

You'd be fine with the 310XT or the newer 910. I love my 305 b/c of it's big honking display but I doubt you'll find one anymore.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is a swimming watch worth it? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

hypoxic swimming drills are they worth it ? Pages: 1 2

Started by roy123
Views: 5183 Posts: 39

2011-03-16 8:34 AM monkeyboy64

Swim Lessons : totally worth it

Started by Cavemann
Views: 1695 Posts: 7

2011-02-07 9:47 PM Pacific John

TI swim clinic-worth the money?

Started by NancyM
Views: 1895 Posts: 14

2009-10-30 4:43 AM lrobb

Total Immersion Swim Workshop, worth the $ and time?

Started by OldAndInTheWay
Views: 1661 Posts: 11

2005-10-21 1:56 PM itri2

Open water swimming in Dallas/Fort Worth area

Started by mginani
Views: 648 Posts: 2

2005-08-25 10:25 AM davidb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.