General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike info needed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-03-26 3:49 PM

User image

Subject: Bike info needed!
I'm doing my first sprint triathlon in June. I have an OLD OLD mountain bike which I considered using, however it is heavy. Even though this is my first sprint, I'd like to do descent in it. Thus, I don't want my 20 year old (YES...20 years old!) mountain bike to weigh me down. So I'm thinking about getting a new bike. First, can someone tell me, would a fixie be good for a triathlon? Is a fixie considered a road bike? Also, I am on SUCH A TIGHT BUDGET it's pathetic, so I'm looking at spending less than $160 on this bike (I know...I know...). I don't need a fancy bike just something affordable and not heavy. There must be something out there that'll get me through this. I have been looking at Craigslist also, but there are so many bikes out there...I don't know what I'm looking at.

Any recommendations?
THANKS!

2015-03-26 4:16 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Bike info needed!
Rent? Borrow, if possible. A lot of bike stores rent.
And if you find you like it (the triathlon thing), you're gonna be wanting to have that $160 for 'a real bike'.
Then you'll want a watch.
And a wetsuit and...

Just kidding. It's not as bad as some make it...the gear/sending part of it. You can do it relatively inexpensively as hobbies go. It's when it becomes more than a hobby, then the spending can escalate.

Beg, plead, and borrow. You don't need a high end bike. Even a hybrid will get you through a sprint no probs. Anything other than the big fat knobby tires on a mountain bike.

BUT.....by all means....if you can't find an alterative, go out there with your mountain bike. You won't be the only one and you'll feel great when you blow by someone in aero that spent $2k!

Edited by jhaack39 2015-03-26 4:18 PM
2015-03-26 4:44 PM
in reply to: interspace8

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Typically there is a different division for such bikes, Fat tire.  Heck my first 4 races (3 sprints & 1 Oly) were on a 37lb mtb. When I wore out the original tires I installed a more of a trail and road tire, it had a center strip for the road and knobs of the side.

Other than that visit a bike shop and see if you can rent a bike.  You can get an idea of what size bike you need and go from there later.

2015-03-26 9:30 PM
in reply to: #5103833

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
A fixie is a bad idea in a tri. If this is full on fixie with no brakes, that is even a worse idea.
You will want as much control as possible. Most tris have hills and turns. Get a bike with brakes and gears.
2015-03-27 6:15 AM
in reply to: Hugh in TX

Assuming there is not a lot of climbing, bike weight should not have that much impact. The mountain bike tires would have more impact. I would pick up smooth street tires for the mtb you can probably find them for $15 apiece at a place like Nashbar. Spending $160 on a fixie isn't going to be better, it is probably going to be worse.

Another option would be to by older (80's or 90's) used road bike. You somewhat need to know what you are looking for. Since you would be looking for a bike that is ready to ride rather than project.

On a tight budget, I would look up bicycle co-op in your metro area. They are going to have used bikes that have either been made road ready or bikes that you can purchase and get road ready yourself (using their tools, they usually have volunteers to give you some instruction). They would also have used parts you could probably pick up the road mtb tires there for less than $5. For $100 you should be able to find something that is road worthy.

I race on a 30 year old bike (although part have been replaced as they wear out)

(IMGP7158.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMGP7158.JPG (2332KB - 0 downloads)
2015-03-27 9:47 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Originally posted by Donto

Typically there is a different division for such bikes, Fat tire.  Heck my first 4 races (3 sprints & 1 Oly) were on a 37lb mtb. When I wore out the original tires I installed a more of a trail and road tire, it had a center strip for the road and knobs of the side.

Other than that visit a bike shop and see if you can rent a bike.  You can get an idea of what size bike you need and go from there later.

I've never done a race where there was a different division based on what kind of bike you have.

2015-03-27 10:38 AM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Thanks everyone! Excellent advice. I'll start looking around to find a bike co-op or somewhere that I can rent from. Renting seems like a wise idea considering I don't want to drop a lot of $ and then find out that triathlon's aren't for me. A friend's sister offered to lend me her $4,000 bike, but I don't want to risk it and possibly damage it in any way, especially considering I don't even know her!

Now, on to wetsuit.... ; )
2015-03-27 11:01 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by interspace8

Thanks everyone! Excellent advice. I'll start looking around to find a bike co-op or somewhere that I can rent from. Renting seems like a wise idea considering I don't want to drop a lot of $ and then find out that triathlon's aren't for me. A friend's sister offered to lend me her $4,000 bike, but I don't want to risk it and possibly damage it in any way, especially considering I don't even know her!

I think you will find a lot of triathletes are willing to help beginners out. Borrowing is not a bad way to start. A nice fixie can be more expensive than a bike with gears so I would scrap the idea of "saving money by leaving off gears". Changing off-road tires to road tires may be a little faster, quieter and more comfortable if you decide to ride the mountain bike but the main reason mountain bikes are slower is the gear ratios and body positions are not ideal for riding 20 mph + on the road.
2015-03-27 12:21 PM

Wetsuits are easy peasy.
They are rentable and even borrowable. I scored a borrow that was the exact size I had tried on at the rental store.
Renting is really good, because you can go try on a couple different models as sizing can be...."kooky" between brands, body sizes, shapes, dimensions.

Again, if you find you like it....and are often swimming or racing in "wetsuit legal" conditions....
Ebay had some great options. Unused. Used once. Depends on the time of year.

Or, Beginner Triathlete has a deal/code you can plug in at Exterra and get one for under $170.
And they have a generous exchange policy due to sizing issues.
2015-03-28 9:33 AM

User image

I did my first tri on a mountain bike (my son's) and it was fine. There was no separate division for mountain bikes (I've never heard of that in any of the tris around here) and I wasn't fast but I wasn't super slow either.

If you really only want to spend $160 on a bike, then I don't think you can get anything much better than the bike you have (unless you get really lucky and find someone who is essentially giving away their bike). Just go ahead and use the bike you have. It will definitely give you an idea of whether you like triathlon and want to continue. BTW- I was kind of naive when I first thought about bike shopping and thought I could get something used for under $400, but couldn't find anything decent. I ended up buying a bike new cross bike that I can use for triathlons but also for commuting and general riding. It's great, but I spent about $1000.

As for a wetsuit-- I haven't bought one yet (all of my tris have been in pools so far) but might be able to get a used one this season. New ones cost more than what you want to spend on a bike. I borrowed one from a friend last year and had a really tough time with it, so the wetsuit thing scares me more than the bike.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-03-28 9:35 AM
2015-03-28 11:17 AM

User image

, North Carolina
What kind of mountain bike do you have?

2015-03-28 4:13 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Katy, Texas
I think it's a right of passage to do your first triathlon on non-racing bike. We all did it. Mine was on a hybrid though, so it wasn't too bad I guess. Also, the other people in the race will know you're a first timer and will likely give you a lot of support. That's what I've seen anyway.
2015-03-28 6:52 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Originally posted by Nick B

its a 20 year old Specialized Hard Rock!
2015-03-28 8:32 PM
in reply to: #5104253

User image

, North Carolina
You're Probably not going to find anything better than that for 160. Have it tuned up and put some 1.75 or 1.5 road tires on it and have fun.

I went from a mountain bike with road tires, to a hybrid, to a road bike. Probably picked up less than 1mph. Between the mountain and road.

If it were a huffy or a next I'd be worried but a specialized is a good bike.

2015-03-29 12:41 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Originally posted by 3mar

I think it's a right of passage to do your first triathlon on non-racing bike. We all did it. Mine was on a hybrid though, so it wasn't too bad I guess. Also, the other people in the race will know you're a first timer and will likely give you a lot of support. That's what I've seen anyway.

That's a very positive way for me to look this!

this is all great advice.
2015-03-29 12:47 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I did my first tri on a mountain bike (my son's) and it was fine. There was no separate division for mountain bikes (I've never heard of that in any of the tris around here) and I wasn't fast but I wasn't super slow either.

If you really only want to spend $160 on a bike, then I don't think you can get anything much better than the bike you have (unless you get really lucky and find someone who is essentially giving away their bike). Just go ahead and use the bike you have. It will definitely give you an idea of whether you like triathlon and want to continue. BTW- I was kind of naive when I first thought about bike shopping and thought I could get something used for under $400, but couldn't find anything decent. I ended up buying a bike new cross bike that I can use for triathlons but also for commuting and general riding. It's great, but I spent about $1000.

As for a wetsuit-- I haven't bought one yet (all of my tris have been in pools so far) but might be able to get a used one this season. New ones cost more than what you want to spend on a bike. I borrowed one from a friend last year and had a really tough time with it, so the wetsuit thing scares me more than the bike.

What was it that caused you problems with the wetsuit? I've heard that sometimes the neck can be too tight and people feel like they're choking. I think i might rent one, however i'm going to need it well prior to the race day so i can do some OWS practices.

2015-03-29 6:58 PM

User image

What was it that caused you problems with the wetsuit? I've heard that sometimes the neck can be too tight and people feel like they're choking. I think i might rent one, however i'm going to need it well prior to the race day so i can do some OWS practices.

It really didn't fit me that well-- belonged to a friend who was shorter but about the same size through the middle. It constricted my calves and my neck. I just kind of thought it would feel better once I started swimming.

I know I can probably find one that fits and will try a rental first, but it's just this barrier I have now. I have done four pool tris and no open water so far... this year I need to get over that.
2015-03-30 12:48 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

It really didn't fit me that well-- belonged to a friend who was shorter but about the same size through the middle. It constricted my calves and my neck. I just kind of thought it would feel better once I started swimming.

I know I can probably find one that fits and will try a rental first, but it's just this barrier I have now. I have done four pool tris and no open water so far... this year I need to get over that.

OWS is my biggest fear. But I'm going to have to conquer that. I just have to jump in feet first (really, no pun intended) and do it. Otherwise no Triathlon!
2015-03-30 1:53 PM

User image

If it were me, I would rent until you feel ready to make the investment on a new bike.
2015-03-31 7:52 AM

User image

I also have that bike from 1999. I keep it in my parents garage and ride it when I go to visit them. It is actually really lightweight. You aren't going to get a better bike for under $160. What you can do is put slick tires on it and lower the handlebars. You even have an advantage over most mountain bikes because the handlebars were really narrow in the 90s.

I second the co-op suggestion if you want a "new" bike. There is one here where people donate old bikes or parts, and others come in and get things dirt cheap along with help fixing them up.

The rental option is also good.

There will be a ton of mountain bikes at a sprint. There will be every kind of bike imaginable there. You will also see people on bikes that cost more than your car, but some of those people will be riding slower than you. The important thing isn't what bike you are on. The important thing is that you get out there and give it a shot, and hopefully have fun.
2015-04-01 12:43 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Originally posted by happyscientist

I also have that bike from 1999. I keep it in my parents garage and ride it when I go to visit them. It is actually really lightweight. You aren't going to get a better bike for under $160. What you can do is put slick tires on it and lower the handlebars. You even have an advantage over most mountain bikes because the handlebars were really narrow in the 90s.

I second the co-op suggestion if you want a "new" bike. There is one here where people donate old bikes or parts, and others come in and get things dirt cheap along with help fixing them up.

The rental option is also good.

There will be a ton of mountain bikes at a sprint. There will be every kind of bike imaginable there. You will also see people on bikes that cost more than your car, but some of those people will be riding slower than you. The important thing isn't what bike you are on. The important thing is that you get out there and give it a shot, and hopefully have fun.

Thank you for the relatively good news about my current bicycle, and your words of encouragement! I hope to, and think I WILL DEFINATELY have fun. I think the hardest part about all of this is finding the time to get the training in.

What is the typical duration for a bike rental for a tri? A week? A few days? Reason I ask...shouldn't I get used to the bike a bit before race day?

2015-04-01 1:02 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Originally posted by 3mar I think it's a right of passage to do your first triathlon on non-racing bike. We all did it. Mine was on a hybrid though, so it wasn't too bad I guess. Also, the other people in the race will know you're a first timer and will likely give you a lot of support. That's what I've seen anyway.

I did my first race on a girls hybrid I borrowed maybe a week or two before.  I love when people show up with random bikes.  Especially if they have a basket or bell.  They almost always look like they are having the most fun out there!

2015-04-01 9:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I would run that Hardrock for sure, there is nothing wrong with an old bike so long as it has been looked after. As others suggested put on some slick tires and I would possibly bring it in for tune up if it isnt working as well as it once did. My mountain bike that I use for Xterra races is from 2000 an it still does a fantastic job (admittedly there have been a few upgrades along the way).

Also dont give up on Craigslist/used it takes time but deals are to be had. I wanted an inexpensive road bike for commuting and came home with a bike that would have cost $1500 new a couple of years ago for just $400.

Edited by DaveL 2015-04-01 9:41 PM
2015-04-02 5:23 AM

User image

Where do you live? Maybe someone around this parts has something you can borrow ... I have something if you're in Michigan.
2015-04-03 8:49 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by 3mar I think it's a right of passage to do your first triathlon on non-racing bike. We all did it. Mine was on a hybrid though, so it wasn't too bad I guess. Also, the other people in the race will know you're a first timer and will likely give you a lot of support. That's what I've seen anyway.

I did my first race on a girls hybrid I borrowed maybe a week or two before.  I love when people show up with random bikes.  Especially if they have a basket or bell.  They almost always look like they are having the most fun out there!

LOL!! Love it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike info needed! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Lavaman Keauhou - Need Bike Info

Started by smallard
Views: 656 Posts: 4

2013-11-09 12:58 AM Jason N

Need help on Bike info

Started by TriGuy05
Views: 1007 Posts: 11

2013-02-13 6:37 AM TriGuy05

Help!! Need bike info

Started by Brandongwck
Views: 666 Posts: 4

2012-12-01 9:25 PM datlas

Buying a new bike...need info

Started by gailvic
Views: 991 Posts: 9

2006-05-31 10:21 AM parrj

Hi, new here & need info

Started by landlover
Views: 674 Posts: 6

2004-07-21 11:14 PM COgirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries