Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Public School...is it really this bad? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-03-28 7:56 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Public School...is it really this bad?
Have you ever heard something so ridiculous that it renders you speechless?
That was me this week.
Two things.
First, my 6th grader had a project due last Friday. He did some good hard work on it and turned it in on the due date (as did one other student in his class of almost 30 kids).
We asked him that afternoon if he turned it in. "Actually, she wasn't taking them today because everyone else except for one girl didn't turn one in."
"Really?" we responded.
So I guess they'll be docked for their projects being turned in late then, huh.
"No, actually she just moved up the due date a week. No penalty."

Sooo, what we found out is that there no longer exists a "hard" due date for projects.

GET THIS! At an open house for the local middle school, we spoke with a couple of teachers who wished to speak anonymously...this is the norm. If kids fail classes and have to be held back, the teachers get punished and could lose their jobs!
Does this happen in your neck of the woods?

Now, for the real show-stopper! My wife and I found out that in our school district, a child can NOT get a grade lower than a 60%!!!!

Basically, you can spit on your paper, roll it up into a ball, and throw it at the teacher...and you will get...
(drun roll please...)
A 60!

I am beyond speechless.

Garbage like this makes me want to live far away from here. I live in the state of Delaware. How are your states?

2015-03-29 4:50 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: Public School...is it really this bad?

I teach in England (11 to 16 year olds).  Unfortunately we live in a performance driven culture and teachers are judged almost solely on the results of their students.  On paper, I can see why people may agree with this - a better teacher will help their students get better results.  In my opinion there are two problem with this.  The first is that every class is different.  One teacher may have a very motivated class the other may not.  A teacher in one school may have the backing of the students parents, a teacher in another school will find the parents are not particularly supportive (sometimes actively, more likely passively).

The second problem with this performance driven culture in education is that if students fail to get the grades the teacher gets it in the neck.  Again, on paper this seems logical but what it has lead to is the kind of thing you describe.  The teachers will do all of the chasing for assignments/coursework, extend the deadlines indefinitely, 'help' students where they probably shouldn't be and give them endless chances.  All this results in is the teachers becoming stressed about grades and the students knowing that they don't have to put in that much effort because their teacher will sort it out for them.

I should have had coursework in from my students at around Christmas time.  Some students in the class are still working on theirs...  I can't refuse to stop giving them time because their grades would suffer (and that would be my fault!).  This is common practice in schools in England, and I presume in many other countries.  It would be unprofessional for me to divulge some of the other things that happen in schools to ensure students get the grades (the example I have given does not promote the right kind of message, but it is within the rules of the exam board), but there are plenty of blogs out there, written anonymously by teachers that do.

2015-03-29 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Basically, you can spit on your paper, roll it up into a ball, and throw it at the teacher...and you will get... (drun roll please...) A 60!

That's a 70 here.  Your kids' school is pretty tough.

2015-03-29 6:07 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Elite
Originally posted by SevenZulu

Basically, you can spit on your paper, roll it up into a ball, and throw it at the teacher...and you will get... (drun roll please...) A 60!

Dude, seriously?
A 70?
I think I'm going to cry.
2015-03-29 6:27 PM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Elite
Originally posted by tridantri

I teach in England (11 to 16 year olds).  Unfortunately we live in a performance driven culture and teachers are judged almost solely on the results of their students.  On paper, I can see why people may agree with this - a better teacher will help their students get better results.  In my opinion there are two problem with this.  The first is that every class is different.  One teacher may have a very motivated class the other may not.  A teacher in one school may have the backing of the students parents, a teacher in another school will find the parents are not particularly supportive (sometimes actively, more likely passively).

The second problem with this performance driven culture in education is that if students fail to get the grades the teacher gets it in the neck.  Again, on paper this seems logical but what it has lead to is the kind of thing you describe.  The teachers will do all of the chasing for assignments/coursework, extend the deadlines indefinitely, 'help' students where they probably shouldn't be and give them endless chances.  All this results in is the teachers becoming stressed about grades and the students knowing that they don't have to put in that much effort because their teacher will sort it out for them.

I should have had coursework in from my students at around Christmas time.  Some students in the class are still working on theirs...  I can't refuse to stop giving them time because their grades would suffer (and that would be my fault!).  This is common practice in schools in England, and I presume in many other countries.  It would be unprofessional for me to divulge some of the other things that happen in schools to ensure students get the grades (the example I have given does not promote the right kind of message, but it is within the rules of the exam board), but there are plenty of blogs out there, written anonymously by teachers that do.

Well, ya made me feel a little better knowing that the system is just as screwed up in England as it is here!
It's a freaking joke everywhere I guess...but I do wonder how schools in the Far East run things. A friend of mine who was brought up in the Phillipines said this kind of nonsense does not occur where he grew up. Then again, it didn't happen when I went to school, and I'm only 40.
A deadline is a deadline. Of course there are extenuating circumstances...death in the family, etc.

When the heck did it all go to hell in a handbasket?

That's it, from this day forward, I vow to find teachers for my kids who are retiring that year. Perhaps THEN, they could demand accountability from their pupils. They could stand in front of their class confident in themselves proclaiming, "You're not gonna get away with laziness. I will bust my hump, you best bust yours! I will demand nothing less than your best. If you shortchange me in effort, it will be reflected in your grade. Oh, I see some of you are smiling...I guess you've heard my teacher rating is adversely affected when one of you fails. Guess what? I don't care about my teacher rating. I care about you learning the subject material. I care about you becoming the best people you can be. Oh, this is going to be a fun year! Let's rock!"
2015-03-30 12:07 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
I can sort of speak to the education system in Canada, having friends who are teachers and having friends with children in school now. I am more than a little scared of my daughter having to go to school in a year and a half (when she is 4! for full days of school all year!)

This change in thinking seems to have occured in the very recent history of education as I graduated from high school in the year 2000. I think that a major overhaul including a major wage increase for teachers and educational assistants is in order. We pay this highly educated and motivated people chump change to mold the minds of our future.

heres a picture that I think sums it up, and is the method we will be attempting to overcome any issues with schooling, and that is to take much more responsibilty as a parent.

(meaningmarks.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
meaningmarks.jpg (58KB - 2 downloads)

2015-03-30 5:30 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

That's it, from this day forward, I vow to find teachers for my kids who are retiring that year. Perhaps THEN, they could demand accountability from their pupils. They could stand in front of their class confident in themselves proclaiming, "You're not gonna get away with laziness. I will bust my hump, you best bust yours! I will demand nothing less than your best. If you shortchange me in effort, it will be reflected in your grade. Oh, I see some of you are smiling...I guess you've heard my teacher rating is adversely affected when one of you fails. Guess what? I don't care about my teacher rating. I care about you learning the subject material. I care about you becoming the best people you can be. Oh, this is going to be a fun year! Let's rock!"

Unfortunately it is too ingrained in the culture of education that everything is handed to them on a plate, I doubt it would make any difference.  My year 11's (last year of secondary school in England - therefore sitting final exams) know I am leaving for a new school this year and so their grades really don't make the slightest bit of difference to me and are solely on their head.  It has made no difference to the effort they are putting in revising for their exams and I still find myself working many many times harder than they are.  I really do find it shocking and upsetting how little effort they put in.  Of course, this is not all students in all schools, many work their socks off and deserve their successes.  It is just the culture in education does not promote the idea of hard work = success.  This idea is one of the reasons why I love triathlon so much - you train hard you get measurably better, you don't train you get worse.

2015-03-30 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Can't speak for public schools in the Far East, but my guess is a deadline is still a deadline there! I teach in private/international schools and we hold the kids to pretty high standards, Most work fairly hard to meet them. We don't quite have the pressures with high-stakes tests and ratings that many US teachers do, but I think there is the expectation that we would try to work something out with parents and student if a kid had difficulty finishing an assignment/meeting a deadline, at least at elementary level. Our grades are standards and evidence-based, so if a student did show the required proficiencies, but turned in a project late without extenuating circumstances (illness, death in the family, etc.) the comments and marks on the report would reflect that--they would report that the child demonstrated whatever skills the project required (though scoring reflects the degree of independence, so marks would be lower if the kid needed a lot of extra support) but they would be marked down on work habits such as turning things in on time (responsibility).

It gets stricter at secondary level where there are letter grades. It's been a while since I taught at that level but as I recall we were expected to try to work out a plan with struggling students (involving parents and sometimes tutors/ support teachers), but at some point, if the students weren't getting on board, they could expect a failing grade or academic probation.
2015-03-30 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Well, ya made me feel a little better knowing that the system is just as screwed up in England as it is here! It's a freaking joke everywhere I guess...but I do wonder how schools in the Far East run things. A friend of mine who was brought up in the Phillipines said this kind of nonsense does not occur where he grew up. Then again, it didn't happen when I went to school, and I'm only 40. A deadline is a deadline. Of course there are extenuating circumstances...death in the family, etc. When the heck did it all go to hell in a handbasket? That's it, from this day forward, I vow to find teachers for my kids who are retiring that year. Perhaps THEN, they could demand accountability from their pupils. They could stand in front of their class confident in themselves proclaiming, "You're not gonna get away with laziness. I will bust my hump, you best bust yours! I will demand nothing less than your best. If you shortchange me in effort, it will be reflected in your grade. Oh, I see some of you are smiling...I guess you've heard my teacher rating is adversely affected when one of you fails. Guess what? I don't care about my teacher rating. I care about you learning the subject material. I care about you becoming the best people you can be. Oh, this is going to be a fun year! Let's rock!"

I'm not sure someone on the cusp of retirement is the best bet. Most short timers in my line of work have a "don't give a chit" attitude.  I'm thinking first year teachers who haven't been beaten down by the system are the way to go. Like Mr. Presbo in The Wire.

My kids go to a somewhat unique charter school where all the teachers and staff are from China/Taiwan.  I was speaking with the principle one day about some of the more...rambunctious kids in the school, and she told me how she wished she was allowed to use a little "Chinese discipline".  Now we're hosting an intern from Taiwan. She talks about the extreme pressure from parents, teachers, and society placed on students to excel in school all the way up through highschool. No one is getting coddled over there.  But apparently once they reach college, they all feel like they've put in their hard work and now it's time to have fun. So Taiwan universities are all party schools.

2015-03-30 9:48 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Bronze member

My kids are younger, first and 3rd. My 3rd grader has to be accountable. His teacher has a system set up with a free homework or missed assignment pass 1 per  grading period. After that if your work is not turned in on time it is deducted from your grade like maybe 80% credit if turned in the next day. For instance, he forgot one of his homework assignments in his room. The teacher sent a note requesting the assignment be turned in the next day and we had to sign off that yes, it was completed and he just forgot it. THEN he could receive the lesser credit.

Teachers in our district give zeros if work is not done. We live in a small rural town in IL. They are pretty old school here. My son forgot to write his name on a paper he turned in and he had to write 20 sentences during his last recess time as his punishment. This must have taken a long time because he missed a weeks worth of recess. I like his teacher but I thought this was pretty stupid because the kid already hates writing so to me punishing a kid with writing is not a great strategy but whatever. It's her classroom and his silly mistake so I stayed out of it. I don't think he has made that mistake again!

2015-03-31 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by SevenZulu

Dude, seriously? A 70? I think I'm going to cry.

Sorry man, I left the sarc font off.  My kids have gone through relatively good public schools the whole way, but they are never going to be pushed by school the way they ought to be.  My biggest complaint is this whole concept that has taken hold of teaching to the state test.

2015-03-31 8:51 AM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Pro

Missouri State colleges have taken the whole "testing" deal to the next level.  Your ACT score is everything.  GPA is old school man.

2015-03-31 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My wife is a fifth grade teacher, so I get to hear pretty bad stuff. The main issue I have with all of this is that kids that should be failed and kept in the grade until they can complete the work, get pushed to the next grade. Often this is because they have some type of identified issue that causes them difficulty. Many of these are real problems, but I don't understand how it helps the student or the rest of the class to put a kid in fifth grade that cannot read at a fifth grade level (or even a second grade level). If the kid has an identified issue then teachers pretty much have no option than to pass them to the next grade. I get infuriated even thinking about it, since my kids are negatively impacted and there cannot be any appreciable value to a kid being in a class that is far beyond them.
2015-03-31 12:43 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Pro

All 5 of my kids either graduated from or now attend public schools.  Our experience has been that the education your child receives is more up to you and your child than it is the school or the teachers.  Certainly there are schools that are just bad news.....but for the most part it will be what you make out of it.  Our experience has been overwhelmingly positive and productive.

2015-03-31 3:41 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I have worked in CA public school since 99.
I have worked in every situation out there.. High school, elementary, crazy poor, crazy rich, traditional, special schools, charter schools.
I have even case managed students with disabilities so severe the are residentially placed 24/7.

I have seen it all.
Every political sound byte is correct (although no one ever discusses the fact your sound byte doesn't prevent the other side's sound byte from being true).

Here are some things that I have learned.

The research and my experience says that 80% of educational outcomes is the quality of the instructor.
When the economy is good, the teacher union lobby likes to cite the above research when money is flowing.
When accountability is on the table, the teacher union lobby likes to talk about the other 20%.
Poverty sucks.
So does low expectations and the mindset of mediocrity.
Parents and SES may impact where you start academically in the year and whether or not your skills grow or regress over the summer, but not how much much you grow during the school year.
I have seen teachers that should be sainted.
I have seen teachers that should be jailed (and some have).
Tenure should mean due process, not the impossibility of termination.
The politicization of public education has benefitted lobbyists, not families.
Where there is money, there is shenanigans.
Testing is not the end all be all.
Neither is the lack of objective measures of progress.
When other teachers don't want to inherit another teacher's students next year, you can bet the test scores corraborate.
When other teachers beg to inherit another teacher's students, you can bet the test scores corraborate.
Policy should never trump good judgment.

I will choose a great teacher over a great school, program, system, curriculum, or methodology for my own children anyday.
Teachers don't need to be clones of each other.
Kids can learn with a hippie teacher.
They can learn with a competitive jock teacher.

Every child should look forward to going to school.
Every kid that is miserable going to school should be a national, state, and local priority.
2015-03-31 3:44 PM
in reply to: eabeam

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I forgot to add on of my favorite examples...

1 - If you believe the research on retention, it is bad and should be avoided, but....

2 - If you believe the research on social promotion, it is bad and should be avoided, see step 1.

2015-03-31 4:35 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Elite
Originally posted by jmcconne

My wife is a fifth grade teacher, so I get to hear pretty bad stuff. The main issue I have with all of this is that kids that should be failed and kept in the grade until they can complete the work, get pushed to the next grade. Often this is because they have some type of identified issue that causes them difficulty. Many of these are real problems, but I don't understand how it helps the student or the rest of the class to put a kid in fifth grade that cannot read at a fifth grade level (or even a second grade level). If the kid has an identified issue then teachers pretty much have no option than to pass them to the next grade. I get infuriated even thinking about it, since my kids are negatively impacted and there cannot be any appreciable value to a kid being in a class that is far beyond them.

Nail on head.
We sure wouldn't want kids feeling bad about failing now would we?

Also, we can't afford to have more teachers to accommodate smaller class sizes...but we CAN hire inclusion teachers so that we have more than one teacher in one classroom. Brilliant.

Is it THAT crazy to put kids of equal abilities in their own classes?

Why should a kid with a 2nd grade reading level be in the same 5th grade reading class as a kid reading above grade level?
It's just inefficient in my opinion.

I feel HORRIBLE for teachers nowadays. Humans who have no business procreating neglect and toxically influence (and in some cases abuse) their offspring...then dump them off at elementary school. When this happens, said "parents" should have their tubes tied and testes imploded by the state. (yeah, that should be sarc-fonted...maybe )
2015-04-01 5:02 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy  Is it THAT crazy to put kids of equal abilities in their own classes? Why should a kid with a 2nd grade reading level be in the same 5th grade reading class as a kid reading above grade level? It's just inefficient in my opinion.  

Many kids do not make the progress because they do not have the right attitude/can't behave etc..  They deserve to be kept back a year.  The thought of having to do this would probably sort out a lot of kids attitudes towards education anyway.  However, what about the students who try their hardest but are simply not able to make the same progress as others in the class?  How long would they be kept behind for?

Also I think there would be social implications in that if a 10 year old is very bright and is put into a class of 15 year olds, how will this impact the 10 year olds social development.  I would like to see our governments agree to allow schools to move students up/down by one year.  It would allow the brightest to be really stretched and the students who need the extra time would get it, without mixing age ranges too much.

2015-04-01 5:50 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Probably doesn't work for public schools due to all the bureaucratic issues but.....I spent several years teaching in an alternative-type school where the kids worked on the basics at their own pace in multi-age classrooms. They worked together as a class on projects that integrated science or social studies with other subjects, though expectations were a bit different for kids of different ages and language skills (bilingual program). There weren't formal letter or number grades, although the expectation was always that every child was working hard to the best of his/her ability; with few exceptions and a bit of transitional struggle with new kids used to a more rigid setup, they did.

The academically strong kids were pushed because they could stretch as far as they could go in reading and math, which most found very motivating, and in many cases work with older classmates; the weak ones were pushed at their levels and, when necessary, may have done some work with younger classmates, or reinforced their basic skills by tutoring younger kids. It took A LOT of initial setup on my part (to find materials that kids could use more independently for the skill-based, leveled subjects like math and spelling, and to organize the projects), and some initial training of the kids in how to work independently, but it worked. All my students made lots of progress, and those who stayed a year or more all exceeded 80th %ile in math on standardized tests, even those who had entered far below grade level and/or with serious behavior issues. This included kids diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders, learning disabilities, and ADHD, and students who'd been kicked out of other schools. I think the key was creating a classroom climate where kids could get support from each other as well as the teacher (multi-age grouping is good for this), and (hate to even say it as it's very political) smaller class sizes (12-16 kids). I stayed with one class for three years (the model used in some Scandinavian countries), and that really allowed me as a teacher and the kids as a class to do things that might not be possible without that close knowledge of students and families. (Though, yes, it was a relief to pass a few high-maintenance types on to middle school!)

Not sure how applicable that experience is to public schools, but we might do well to look to what works in other countries/settings.
2015-04-01 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
However, what about the students who try their hardest but are simply not able to make the same progress as others in the class?  How long would they be kept behind for?

Until the student can take the new information the teacher provides and use it successfully. Until they are at a level that the teacher can focus on new material rather than constantly going over old material. Many schools currently have staff specifically for the task of getting kids up to speed. There is likely not enough staff there, but parents are just required unless we want to invest more in education through taxes.
2015-04-01 10:44 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Left Brain

All 5 of my kids either graduated from or now attend public schools.  Our experience has been that the education your child receives is more up to you and your child than it is the school or the teachers.  Certainly there are schools that are just bad news.....but for the most part it will be what you make out of it.  Our experience has been overwhelmingly positive and productive.

Same here.  Only I have 1 son instead of 5.  Very few negative experiences with teachers and zero negatives with "the system".  By the time he graduated from public high school, he had 15 college credits from Advanced Placement classes, and was able to start college with Calculus 3 as his first semester math.

2015-04-01 1:00 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Have you ever heard something so ridiculous that it renders you speechless?
That was me this week.
Two things.
First, my 6th grader had a project due last Friday. He did some good hard work on it and turned it in on the due date (as did one other student in his class of almost 30 kids).
We asked him that afternoon if he turned it in. "Actually, she wasn't taking them today because everyone else except for one girl didn't turn one in."
"Really?" we responded.
So I guess they'll be docked for their projects being turned in late then, huh.
"No, actually she just moved up the due date a week. No penalty."

Sooo, what we found out is that there no longer exists a "hard" due date for projects.

The no penalty for being late has been around for quite a while now however, it is often the end result of a poorly considered policy that is based on not penalizing students for things that are not expressly covered in the curriculum documents. For example, in my Physics 11 class, one of the learning outcomes is "apply Newton's laws" but there is no outcome that says, "hand stuff in on time." So the thinking is that since handing stuff in on time isn't an outcome, if they student can demonstrate the application of Newton's laws, then they met the outcome. IME, the issue then becomes with the interpretation of the assessment policy by admin and beyond so that teachers are pressured to accept assigned work at any point. In my board, the policy clearly states that students must hand in work by the assigned due date and if they do not, they are responsible to meet with the teacher in order to consider a new due date. While there are those who accept anything at any time, in my class it gets handed in when it is due or we have met beforehand so that an extended deadline has been negotiated.

IME there are a couple of issues that lead to the "hand anything in whenever you want to" approach:

1) Parents - many are happy to have standards and consequences until they are applied to their child; then the work is too hard, the teacher is mean/bad/unqualified, expectations are too high, etc.
2) Education department/School boards - elected officials with good intentions but little educational experience outside of going to school and former teachers who may be decades removed from classroom and while often well versed on theory, may no longer have a solid grasp on how to put it into practice; as well, when contacted by parents, they hate to say no that the student deserved their 0% for not handing work in by the deadline.
3) Admin - most are looking to move up; whether from VP to principal, principal of a larger/better school or to a board/department level job and therefore toe the party line; so when the board/department calls with a parent complaint, they look to "fix" things
4) Teachers - many are too nice for their own good and feel they are helping students by constantly extending deadlines and once they been told to and/or had marks changed a few times, just stop fighting the good fight

I believe that this whole thing started with the best intentions however the end result has been the consistent lowering of standards. Instead of raising standards and demanding students live up to them, we lower them until everyone is "successful."

The good news is that there are great teachers out there who will demand more and push students to do their best but getting one of those teachers is often luck of the draw. The other upside is that good students will still learn (albeit maybe not as much as you would like) despite being in a system that doesn't consistently demand they put their best foot forward.

Shane
2015-04-01 1:33 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I agree with your four points above.  I would add a 5th: Teachers are held to account on the grades of their students, therefore constantly extending deadlines makes them look better.  I would add that this is the fault of management, rather than the teachers.

2015-04-01 1:40 PM

User image

Pro

I agree with your four points above.  I would add a 5th: Teachers are held to account on the grades of their students, therefore constantly extending deadlines makes them look better.  I would add that this is the fault of management, rather than the teachers.

Apparently my son's English teacher did not get that memo. 

2015-04-01 3:05 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by Left Brain

Apparently my son's English teacher did not get that memo. 

Nor did I - I've had classes with very high failure rates and nobody batted an eye.

Shane
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Public School...is it really this bad? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Upset with Public School System Pages: 1 2

Started by NavyTRIChief
Views: 2706 Posts: 49

2010-01-13 10:29 AM graceful_dave

One of my co-workers is really, really, really evil

Started by Spokes
Views: 821 Posts: 8

2007-08-15 5:50 PM coachese

how do you grade/rate a public school?

Started by Sharkie