General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you run so damn fast!!? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2015-03-30 1:10 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Subject: RE: How do you run so damn fast!!?

2015-03-30 2:50 PM
in reply to: rizztalah

User image

I ran a 20 min 5k once in high school. Only once, and only barely broke 20 minutes. Fast forward many years..

My wife and I signed up for Myrtle Beach Marathon in Feb 2014 on a whim. No base, jumped right into training. We both battled injuries all the way through (go figure) and thought we were crushing it when had a training run around 9:30's per mile. Ended up running a 4:09.

Took it easy all summer and started running again around Sept when my wife says "I think I want to qualify for Boston". So, off went our training. This time, smarter.. much, much smarter. Lots of cross training too (which is why we are both addicted to triathlon!). We have dropped over a minute per mile off our long slow run pace. We had a recent half marathon and finished in 1:38. Is she going to win Boston? No. Is that 3:35 she needs now in reach.. you bet it is! We aren't winning races, but the incrimental improvements are encouraging. That's why we get up to train again each day. I'm inspired by the guys that go out there and blow it away. I don't set my goal to be as fast them.. my goal is to be as dedicated and focused as they are, and let my body take me as far as it will.

Focus on the process, not the final output. Set realistic/stretch goals for yourself.
2015-03-30 2:58 PM
in reply to: tjones2k9

User image

Speed is relative. Your slow is someone else's fast, and vice versa.
My "slow" from a few years ago is my "fast" now.

I do think we have to keep perspective when we look at so-called "fast" times in age-group athletes, because even these speeds aren't "fast" if you compare to the best.

Keep it real.
2015-03-30 3:05 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Curious, what do people think is "fast?"

What kind of speed do you need on the men's and women's sides to AG podium, win local races, be competitive on a national level?

2015-03-30 3:27 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

What kind of speed do you need on the men's and women's sides to AG podium, win local races, be competitive on a national level?

I have no idea about AG podiums.  For overall podiums in AG sprint races on the men's side you need right at 17:00 5K off the bike to consistently win races and get on the podium on a national level.....maybe a tad lower if you can't swim well....the bike becomes a wash at that distance in that distance at the top end.  You can likely get by on 18-19 minutes in some/most local races, depending on who shows up and how well you bike.  From what I've seen you need an open 5K of 15:30-16:00 to consistently hit that 17 minute mark in a sprint tri.

2015-03-30 3:32 PM

User image

What distance, for sprints

win local races (men)-  

Swim: 1 - 1:10 / 100 yd

Bike: + 25MPH

Run: sub 6:00 / M

men's sides to AG podium

Unfortunately for me in M40 - 44, very close to the above.

2015-03-30 4:53 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

win local races (men)-  

men's sides to AG podium

I've seen slower times win local races in my neck of the woods but usually they are biking north of 23/24mph and running sub 20 5k's.

I'm curious now. . . what type of time, outside the genetic freaks, do you think is trainable run wise . . . on a 10k? 38? 37? What about a 5k, 18? 17?

2015-03-30 5:02 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by ziggie204

win local races (men)-  

men's sides to AG podium

I've seen slower times win local races in my neck of the woods but usually they are biking north of 23/24mph and running sub 20 5k's.

I'm curious now. . . what type of time, outside the genetic freaks, do you think is trainable run wise . . . on a 10k? 38? 37? What about a 5k, 18? 17?

Those paces are flirting with sub 1 hour. Looking over the past year, that would win just about every sprint I've seen. Heck, 1:08 and you can win a couple.

I think "trainable" would be:

5k: sub-19
10k: sub-40

I think those are taking average Joe with no running background and no real predisposition. That being said, I think it would take a couple of years. I would fit squarely in that definition, and I was able to achieve 19:XX and 42:XX with A LOT of concentrated training. I honestly don't think I could have taken it much further, and that's what I've seen in people like me, average Joe's genetically that go all in on training.
2015-03-30 5:10 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

It does irritate he how fast BT gets to the genes being your limiter argument.

There's nothing factually wrong with what LB says but I think there are sooo many people that never achieve their best because they don't train smart, eat smart and rest smart.  Once you've done all those things - consistently - for a long time.  Then you're down to that genetic limiter but hardly anyone gets there.

It's like intelligence.  Some people get it faster, some people seem more naturally smart - but there are just as many lazy smart people as others and the majority of them can be caught given time and patience.  

It's the same with training - it might take many people longer to get to xx:xx time for a certain discipline/triathlon but it's very likely that you'll be able to get pretty dam close given the right application.

Not having a go at LB, we've had this discussion a few times.  Like I said, he's right but don't tell yourself you can't do something until you've really tried. Then accept your lot.

2015-03-30 5:18 PM

User image

Pro

win local races (men)-  

men's sides to AG podium

Your swim time is really fast on the local level in open water......your right at that sub 1:00 in the pool.  Yeah, in a big regional race that would be expected for the very front end.....but I haven't seen it in local racing much.  I don't see many sub 6 pace miles at the local level either.....I see quite a bit of 6:30ish.  Those times you listed would put you in the top 20, out of 1100 or so overall at Sprint Nationals.  Yeah.....some of those guys run local races too, but I agree with 3mar that quite a few local races are won in 1:05-1:08.

The top male in the 40-44 AG at Sprint Nationals last year was 14th overall.  1:21/100 swim, 24.8 bike, 5:30/mile run.  In 2013 he top males in that AG were 6th and 7th.....virtually identical paces.  Between 24-25 on the bike, ~1:20/100 on the swim, and 5:30/mile run.  To be fair.....a lot of really fast people run the Oly and not the sprint so that would likely put more from that AG in the top end.....but you're still flirting with that sub 1:00.00 sprint......that's pretty damn quick for a local race.

2015-03-30 5:24 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Dan-L

It does irritate he how fast BT gets to the genes being your limiter argument.

There's nothing factually wrong with what LB says but I think there are sooo many people that never achieve their best because they don't train smart, eat smart and rest smart.  Once you've done all those things - consistently - for a long time.  Then you're down to that genetic limiter but hardly anyone gets there.

It's like intelligence.  Some people get it faster, some people seem more naturally smart - but there are just as many lazy smart people as others and the majority of them can be caught given time and patience.  

It's the same with training - it might take many people longer to get to xx:xx time for a certain discipline/triathlon but it's very likely that you'll be able to get pretty dam close given the right application.

Not having a go at LB, we've had this discussion a few times.  Like I said, he's right but don't tell yourself you can't do something until you've really tried. Then accept your lot.

I actually don't disagree with that.  There are folks out there who don't even know they are genetically "gifted".....and for sure they could be left out of the conversation of "you can't do it if you didn't run fast early".    I was raised the same way and it was drilled into my head....."you can do anything you set your mind to".....well, ok....go run a 4 minute mile.   There is a point where that time honored lesson falls off the page when it comes to physical ability.    Still, your point is a good one for sure.

2015-03-30 6:49 PM

User image

I don't know about national level - I'm just doing local triathlons. To me "fast" is what won my AG (Men: 55 to 59) in those races in the past. Last years Oly winners in my AG had numbers something like this:

swim: 1:25 per 100 yrd
Bike: 21mph
Run: 46 min for 10km

If I were to achieve these numbers I'd be happy!

Scott I.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You aren't old until age becomes your excuse." Joe Friel
2015-03-30 7:17 PM

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

win local races (men)-  

men's sides to AG podium

Your swim time is really fast on the local level in open water......your right at that sub 1:00 in the pool.  Yeah, in a big regional race that would be expected for the very front end.....but I haven't seen it in local racing much.  I don't see many sub 6 pace miles at the local level either.....I see quite a bit of 6:30ish.  Those times you listed would put you in the top 20, out of 1100 or so overall at Sprint Nationals.  Yeah.....some of those guys run local races too, but I agree with 3mar that quite a few local races are won in 1:05-1:08.

The top male in the 40-44 AG at Sprint Nationals last year was 14th overall.  1:21/100 swim, 24.8 bike, 5:30/mile run.  In 2013 he top males in that AG were 6th and 7th.....virtually identical paces.  Between 24-25 on the bike, ~1:20/100 on the swim, and 5:30/mile run.  To be fair.....a lot of really fast people run the Oly and not the sprint so that would likely put more from that AG in the top end.....but you're still flirting with that sub 1:00.00 sprint......that's pretty damn quick for a local race.

Top 3 OA maybe excluding swim is common.   I'll go back and check some old races to be sure.   What are we calling local?   I lumped together races with maybe 300 up to 1500.  There are a number of fast freaks around where I live

2015-03-30 7:46 PM

User image

Pro

win local races (men)-  

men's sides to AG podium

Top 3 OA maybe excluding swim is common.   I'll go back and check some old races to be sure.   What are we calling local?   I lumped together races with maybe 300 up to 1500.  There are a number of fast freaks around where I live

Where do you live?

2015-03-30 8:05 PM

User image

Philadelphia so I race in PA, NJ mostly 

2015-03-31 7:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Exton, PA

win local races (men)-  

men's sides to AG podium

[/QUOTE

I'm in the same area, and yes the OA winners are in these time ranges(Duffy comes to mind)

Depending on AG not quite that fast.
I usually swim about 1:15-1:20/100 and come out of the water in the top 5% depends if I've been practicing the swim or not.
I bike a flat sprint somewhere between 23-25mph
Many times I start the run in one of the top spots for my age group, however my run is not that good. I hold about a 8-8:30/mile and cane usually watch 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in my AG go past me on the run I've taken 4th a lot in sprints.

Edited by mike761 2015-03-31 7:19 AM

2015-03-31 7:39 AM

User image

Originally posted by rizztalah

This is only my second year doing triathlons... But this year I started training around some veteran swimmer/biker/runners. That mixed with my recent viewing of the movie "Unbroken" which has left me with one simple question... How do you people go SO fast!!!

Running 6 min miles for 10k+!!?

Biking at 20 mph or faster!! @_@

God, the swimmers... 21 minutes for a 1 mile swim!? I'm lucky to do it in 36... D:

It's amazing! It's so inspiring to me, so much so that I laced up yesterday and attacked a 1 hr run!! I started the first mile at a comfortably uncomfortable pace... 7:20... And I was honestly pretending I was running a 4:12 like Zamperini... Passing the sweet old ladies, walking their little wiener dogs, like it's a cake walk!! Pretending that every sweet elderly person in our neighborhood was Gwen Jorgenson or Gomez...But with every mile, I got slower, fatigued, and eventually disheartened. Bummed and dumbfounded. Hahaha. 1hr and 7.10 deflated miles later I am left with just laying here in bed in awe. How are you guys so so fast!!!??

Haha. I am just totally amazed. I hope to get there someday and leave future newbies just as perplexed as I am, right now. But right now, I'm still going crazy!

Grrrrr. I have been working hard on my swim for three years. This winter I have taken 18 min off my 2000 m time, and you are still faster than me.

I will catch you on the bike, though.
2015-03-31 9:38 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

"I'm in the same area, and yes the OA winners are in these time ranges(Duffy comes to mind)

Depending on AG not quite that fast.
I  usually swim about 1:15-1:20/100 and come out of the water in the top 5% depends if I've been practicing the swim or not.
I bike a flat sprint somewhere between 23-25mph
Many times I start the run in one of the top spots for my age group, however my run is not that good. I hold about a 8-8:30/mile and cane usually watch 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in my AG go past me on the run  I've taken 4th a lot in sprints."

You and I are in the same boat, splits are close but you have me on the bike.  I feel your pain.... I now prefer races with no age on the calf.

I was going to use Duffy as an example and the fact that a few guys are close to him at the end of the day.  But I wasn't sure that would be in the spirit of a "local" race.

2015-03-31 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Originally posted by Clempson

the important thing to take away from seeing people with speeds like this is realizing that you can be just as fast.  with the right approach and dedication you will be matching them stride for stride eventually.  however, if you think these paces are superhuman then you have already defeated yourself and it will never happen. 

That's just not always true, and it can lead to early burnout and feelings of failure.  The fact is, not everyone can run a 36:00 10K....in fact, very few people can.  For the majority of AG'ers, no matter how hard they work, they won't get there.  Drop it to 34:00.....a fairly avg. time for men who are truly runners....and almost none of the rest of us can get there. 

While it's true that fast running is not super human......again. it's all relative.  It's not reasonable to think that any woman who works hard can run a 36:00 10K.....no they can't.

At 59 I will never run a 36:00 10K, no matter how I train. A guy I work with is 54 and regularly runs 10K in sub 34. For him that's slow, as in his prime he was in the 28:00 range. There are several guys I've worked with who can run a sub 4:30 mile in local races, but not sustained throughout. Another ran a HM at sub 5:00 pace last year. I think the heaviest of these guys weighs maybe 125 lbs.

The oldest has won several marathons throughout his career, and was once in the 2:12 range. A couple of the others are mountain runners and hold course records in several events.

To think an average person can attain things like this is ludicrous. These guys were born with good genes and worked hard to maximize their talent. People can maximize their talent, but may come nowhere near what those with good genes can do. Plus few people want to do what it takes anyway, dedicating some much time to training and proper nutrition.
2015-03-31 4:37 PM
in reply to: Donskiman

User image

Originally posted by Donskiman

the important thing to take away from seeing people with speeds like this is realizing that you can be just as fast.  with the right approach and dedication you will be matching them stride for stride eventually.  however, if you think these paces are superhuman then you have already defeated yourself and it will never happen. 

That's just not always true, and it can lead to early burnout and feelings of failure.  The fact is, not everyone can run a 36:00 10K....in fact, very few people can.  For the majority of AG'ers, no matter how hard they work, they won't get there.  Drop it to 34:00.....a fairly avg. time for men who are truly runners....and almost none of the rest of us can get there. 

While it's true that fast running is not super human......again. it's all relative.  It's not reasonable to think that any woman who works hard can run a 36:00 10K.....no they can't.

At 59 I will never run a 36:00 10K, no matter how I train. A guy I work with is 54 and regularly runs 10K in sub 34. For him that's slow, as in his prime he was in the 28:00 range. There are several guys I've worked with who can run a sub 4:30 mile in local races, but not sustained throughout. Another ran a HM at sub 5:00 pace last year. I think the heaviest of these guys weighs maybe 125 lbs. The oldest has won several marathons throughout his career, and was once in the 2:12 range. A couple of the others are mountain runners and hold course records in several events. To think an average person can attain things like this is ludicrous. These guys were born with good genes and worked hard to maximize their talent. People can maximize their talent, but may come nowhere near what those with good genes can do. Plus few people want to do what it takes anyway, dedicating some much time to training and proper nutrition.

This is becoming a disease!

I'm only accepting the genes argument from people who have dedicated time to training and proper nutrition.  And not for six months -for years.  Until the vast majority of amateur athletes limiters are their own minds and lack of dedication.  Lack of dedication isn't a bad thing from most AG's - we've got families, jobs, friends and a social life.

I really don't know why people are so fast to talk about genes being their limiter on here - is it because it's a good excuse that's out of their hands so they don't have to face up to the fact they don't eat and train properly?

2015-03-31 5:04 PM

User image

Pro

I'm only accepting the genes argument from people who have dedicated time to training and proper nutrition.  And not for six months -for years.  Until the vast majority of amateur athletes limiters are their own minds and lack of dedication.  Lack of dedication isn't a bad thing from most AG's - we've got families, jobs, friends and a social life.

I really don't know why people are so fast to talk about genes being their limiter on here - is it because it's a good excuse that's out of their hands so they don't have to face up to the fact they don't eat and train properly?

I sort of agree... YES there is some natural talent... BUT... here's my $0.02

Started training for the Army Tri Team. To be considered, I need a 2:35 Oly. 

I trained HARD, and in a year, my sprint tri paces became my Olympic tri paces. I went a 2:33. Good enough for consideration, but not good enough to make the team.

The Army's #1 female triathlete and I had a conversation. She told me that she was about my speed three years ago. She now knocks out sub-2:15s on a regular basis, and I think her PR is a 2:08.

You know what she did? Focus, hard work, dedication for 3 years.

Her times, to me, seem nearly impossible NOW, but what's stopping me from getting there? It sure isn't genetics.

Work hard, and reframe what is possible.

2015-03-31 5:22 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Donskiman

At 59 I will never run a 36:00 10K, no matter how I train. A guy I work with is 54 and regularly runs 10K in sub 34. For him that's slow, as in his prime he was in the 28:00 range. There are several guys I've worked with who can run a sub 4:30 mile in local races, but not sustained throughout. Another ran a HM at sub 5:00 pace last year. I think the heaviest of these guys weighs maybe 125 lbs. The oldest has won several marathons throughout his career, and was once in the 2:12 range. A couple of the others are mountain runners and hold course records in several events. To think an average person can attain things like this is ludicrous. These guys were born with good genes and worked hard to maximize their talent. People can maximize their talent, but may come nowhere near what those with good genes can do. Plus few people want to do what it takes anyway, dedicating some much time to training and proper nutrition.

Like I said, your point is valid as far as reaching potential.  Let me ask you, do you think you can train yourself to a 4:15 mile?  A 15:00 5K?  A 32 minute 10K?  Do you think anyone can? 

2015-03-31 5:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Like I said, your point is valid as far as reaching potential.  Let me ask you, do you think you can train yourself to a 4:15 mile?  A 15:00 5K?  A 32 minute 10K?  Do you think anyone can? 

As an adult onset athlete, very very difficult. There are learning patterns that as a child/youth you develop orders of magnitude quicker. Some kids, it's immediate, some would require a bit more time but don't get that time, some persist and break through.

We like to say "it's genetics". You would be amazed things kids learn playing "kick the can" at 8 years old that manifest themselves at 13. It's all in the learning.

But "it's genetics" is the easy answer.

Try learning chinese at 5 y/o. Try at 45. Same "genetics". No different than running.

Edited by marcag 2015-03-31 5:42 PM
2015-03-31 5:47 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Left Brain Like I said, your point is valid as far as reaching potential.  Let me ask you, do you think you can train yourself to a 4:15 mile?  A 15:00 5K?  A 32 minute 10K?  Do you think anyone can? 
As an adult onset athlete, very very difficult. There are learning patterns that as a child/youth you develop orders of magnitude quicker. Some kids, it's immediate, some would require a bit more time but don't get that time, some persist and break through. We like to say "it's genetics". You would be amazed things kids learn playing "kick the can" at 8 years old that manifest themselves at 13. But "it's genetics" is the easy answer. Try learning chinese at 5 y/o. Try at 45. Same "genetics". No different than running.

I agree that it isn't just the act of "running" that develops some kids......in most it's the simple act of playing.  Still, when you line the kids up and say, "run"....it's not hard to pick out the "runners". 

I trained retriever dogs for many years.  I started with what I could afford in a dog as far a pedigree, and eventually was training dogs who came from "championship" lines.  It was night and day.  It was, simply, genetics.  I had to work them to get the most out of them, but "lesser" dogs very rarely could get to the same level.  Of course it's genetics.  Only in humans do we try to deny that there are people who are genetically superior in some ways (sorry, we aren't all the same, or equal).....and that just doesn't make any sense from a biological standpoint.....we are made up of DNA that allows us to do some things really well, and some things not so well.

You can't take any human at a young age and make them a 4 minute miler.....it's actually genetically impossible.....most people just can't do it. 

I think it's common for us to deny quite a bit of the genetic idea because we aren't raised that way (at least most of us with loving, caring parents).  We are taught that we can do anything we set our minds to. Actually, no we can't when it comes to physical tasks.

That being said, I agree that few of us reach our absolute potential in anything.

2015-03-31 6:31 PM

Norfolk, Virginia
It has been covered already but my two cents are that speed is heavily based on your (lack of) weight if you are already fit. The only difference between now me and high school me in terms of running speed are the extra weight I am carrying (and losing). If you look at fast distance runners they are generally not carrying much extra.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you run so damn fast!!? Rss Feed  

of 4