General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you run so damn fast!!? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2015-03-30 1:07 AM

User image

Subject: How do you run so damn fast!!?
This is only my second year doing triathlons... But this year I started training around some veteran swimmer/biker/runners. That mixed with my recent viewing of the movie "Unbroken" which has left me with one simple question... How do you people go SO fast!!!

Running 6 min miles for 10k+!!?

Biking at 20 mph or faster!! @_@

God, the swimmers... 21 minutes for a 1 mile swim!? I'm lucky to do it in 36... D:

It's amazing! It's so inspiring to me, so much so that I laced up yesterday and attacked a 1 hr run!! I started the first mile at a comfortably uncomfortable pace... 7:20... And I was honestly pretending I was running a 4:12 like Zamperini... Passing the sweet old ladies, walking their little wiener dogs, like it's a cake walk!! Pretending that every sweet elderly person in our neighborhood was Gwen Jorgenson or Gomez...But with every mile, I got slower, fatigued, and eventually disheartened. Bummed and dumbfounded. Hahaha. 1hr and 7.10 deflated miles later I am left with just laying here in bed in awe. How are you guys so so fast!!!??

Haha. I am just totally amazed. I hope to get there someday and leave future newbies just as perplexed as I am, right now. But right now, I'm still going crazy!

2015-03-30 3:50 AM
in reply to: rizztalah

User image

Subject: RE: How do you run so damn fast!!?
I am in a similar position, and I think that a lot of AGers and amateurs would feel the same way. As long as you don't look at it in a negative light, which would put you off training (think: I will NEVER achieve that), I think it is good. I find is so inspiring as well. I may get close to those speeds, I may never get anywhere near it, but as long as I am enjoying myself and seeing improvement in whichever sense, I think it's great!

I hardly have anything to boast about, but in the space of a year with some semi-dedicated hard work (work getting crazy busy at xmas, winter last year was... Let's not talk about it...) I have seen a huge improvement. Not just in my speed, but how I feel, how much I can push myself, and to sound completely cliche, I feel like a better and more well adjusted person :P

Keep up the hard work (You and I both) and see how far YOU can go!
2015-03-30 4:14 AM
in reply to: #5104596

User image

, North Carolina
Just think. There's lots of folks that would love to run 8:30 min/mile for an hour.

myself included
2015-03-30 4:58 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by rizztalah

This is only my second year doing triathlons... But this year I started training around some veteran swimmer/biker/runners. That mixed with my recent viewing of the movie "Unbroken" which has left me with one simple question... How do you people go SO fast!!!

Running 6 min miles for 10k+!!?

Biking at 20 mph or faster!! @_@

YIP, that's my speed... hang on, I live in Europe so I count in kilometers. Darn! I am 1,6 times slower than that.

2015-03-30 5:48 AM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
If you want to get faster, it's important not to get too daunted by certain goals but also realize that they may not come instantly. The people who are running that fast have likely been training for a while and have gotten there the same way you can get there, by consistent training.
2015-03-30 7:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not a simple answer, and probably not the same for everyone. Just my $0.02:

I have, at some point in time, done all those (alas, not as a triathlete, and the only one I could hit now at age 45 would be, ironically, the bike. I can hold 20 mph for sprint and maybe, with my new tri bike, am approaching it for Oly).

Running: Lots of training, good aerobic engine, modest natural talent, really helps to not be carrying excess weight. Even muscle beyond what's needed to propel you forward is pretty superfluous. With rare exceptions, the best pure distance runners are basically big cardio engines on slender, rapidly moving legs. Most are not just skinny but also short to average in stature. For those with less natural talent or less ideal body types, training matters more; some naturally talented athletes can get to this level with modest amounts of training.

Biking: Perhaps the most achievable of these goals for most AG triathletes. 20 mph is not a particularly stellar speed, even for masters women. This is one event where it helps to have a bit more weight/muscle (at least compared to the ideal for pure runners) to put out more absolute power. But proper training and good equipment and position could make up for some of that. I think about this a lot as I have a buddy who trains sporadically yet regularly kicks my butt on the bike at sprint and sometimes Oly distances. We had similar bikes (until I got my tri bike) but she is 2 inches taller and probably 20-25 pounds heavier than me, all muscle. She just has more natural power. But I have a fighting chance on my tri bike, or even in aero on my road bike, and I know I can take her above Oly distance due to my training. Lance may have said it's "not about the bike" but especially if biking's not your forte, it pays to invest in the best equipment you can, and get properly fitted on it.

Swim: Unlike the others, heavily technique based. 21 minutes is very strong for an AG triathlete but actually nothing remarkable for youth swimmers, including girls/women. I was not the fastest swimmer on a pretty average high school team at anything but the 1500m, and probably that only because no one else wanted to swim it. I never made the state meet (or even came close) and at best cracked the top 4-6 in a couple of invitationals in the 1500. I swam 1500m/1650y in either just over or just under 21 minutes (can't remember). At the time (I was 14 or 15) I was about 5'6" and 112 pounds. So it couldn't possibly be my muscular body build LOL. Guessing it was mainly matter of decent technique, a good engine, built through several years of swimming and running, and lots of training. I can swim 1500m in a pool in around 25 minutes now; am actually surprised I can do that since my WEEKLY yardage now is about what my DAILY yardage was back then.

I wouldn't focus too much on goals that, depending on your age, talent, body type, and/or time and desire to train may not be realistic, at least in the short term. Just do your best with variables you can control, like training, nutrition, recovery, equipment, and improving technique, accept those you can't change, and enjoy the journey! One of the things I enjoy most about tri is actually that I didn't start until after age 40, so I don't feel the need to compare myself to me at age 14 or 20, I just enjoy each workout and race for the challenge that it is. As for imagining you are running 4:12 miles, fantasy is free! I imagine every week on my brick run that I'm winning Kona (our heat lends itself to that one). With practice, it gets easier to sustain the delusions of grandeur. (Having run since age 10, I probably have a Ph.D./black belt in that.) One of my favorite running quotes is from George Sheehan, who said something like, "We are all heroes in our own minds." Why not?! Just getting out there and trying (or tri-ing) is pretty heroic, compared to lying on the sofa watching TV.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-03-30 7:34 AM

2015-03-30 8:03 AM

, Wisconsin
Also, be sure to pick your parents very carefully....genes
2015-03-30 8:48 AM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Pro

It's all perspective. 

If you compare yourself to the human population you are an amazing athlete to be able to run 7.1 miles in an hour....believe it.  If you compare yourself to those among us who are genetically gifted you are a dog.....as are the rest of us.

I have this same conversation all the time with kids who want to quit running, or quit swimming, because they can only run a 5K in 18:00 or they can only muster a 1:05 100 in the pool......and the environment they find themselves in tells them they are slow. 

Race yourself......in almost all things.  You will likely find nothing to be depressed about.

2015-03-30 9:14 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by Left Brain

It's all perspective. 

Race yourself......in almost all things.  You will likely find nothing to be depressed about.

Well said, I try to only compete with myself but sometimes it is hard not to compare to others and daydream of what may be possible. Well if there wasn't a wife, 3 kids and a job to worry about ??
2015-03-30 9:28 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Patience and hard training can get you there.  After my 2nd or third race ever (5 years ago - a sprint), I remember looking at the avg speed of the winner of the Olympic on the same day and being completely blown away thinking it was incredible and impossible for me.  Well last fall, in a bike race it came down to me and that same guy in a sprint finish and I beat him.     I also did a half iron distance race where my avg speed was higher than he did that day.

I'm still way slower than him running though!  

2015-03-30 9:32 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
7.1 miles in 1 hour seems pretty legit to me. You should be proud of that.

2015-03-30 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

the important thing to take away from seeing people with speeds like this is realizing that you can be just as fast.  with the right approach and dedication you will be matching them stride for stride eventually.  however, if you think these paces are superhuman then you have already defeated yourself and it will never happen. 

2015-03-30 10:03 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Clempson

the important thing to take away from seeing people with speeds like this is realizing that you can be just as fast.  with the right approach and dedication you will be matching them stride for stride eventually.  however, if you think these paces are superhuman then you have already defeated yourself and it will never happen. 

That's just not always true, and it can lead to early burnout and feelings of failure.  The fact is, not everyone can run a 36:00 10K....in fact, very few people can.  For the majority of AG'ers, no matter how hard they work, they won't get there.  Drop it to 34:00.....a fairly avg. time for men who are truly runners....and almost none of the rest of us can get there. 

While it's true that fast running is not super human......again. it's all relative.  It's not reasonable to think that any woman who works hard can run a 36:00 10K.....no they can't.

2015-03-30 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

That's just not always true, and it can lead to early burnout and feelings of failure.  The fact is, not everyone can run a 36:00 10K....in fact, very few people can.  For the majority of AG'ers, no matter how hard they work, they won't get there.  Drop it to 34:00.....a fairly avg. time for men who are truly runners....and almost none of the rest of us can get there. 

While it's true that fast running is not super human......again. it's all relative.  It's not reasonable to think that any woman who works hard can run a 36:00 10K.....no they can't.

I agree with this.  I don't think I could ever get under a 36:00 10k.

2015-03-30 10:15 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

if you trained as a runner, I bet you could do it.

2015-03-30 10:34 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

I ran a sub 4:30 mile in high school, 3 of my cousins and my brother did as well.  One of my cousins went 4:12. It has been a while at this point so I don't remember what we could do before high school......and don't think we did anything, we just played a lot.  Our grandfather was a professional tennis player, and although he didn't run as far as we know, that was likely the genetic link.

So now I have kids of my own and I spend a lot of time around other fast kids.  My son ran a 5:08 mile at 13 years old.......virtually no training, actually NO training.  He is far from alone in his circle of friends.  All of them train a bit differently ...... some only run, some do triathlon, some run a lot, some run relatively little.  The ONE constant is that they all ran fast right out of the box.  They were all "the fastest kid in the class", or the school, when they were in grade school and middle school. 

Yes, you can get faster by training to run.......truly FAST runners are born IMO.  You can teach someone to swim fast easier than you can "teach" them to run fast.

2015-03-30 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I ran a sub 4:30 mile in high school, 3 of my cousins and my brother did as well.  One of my cousins went 4:12. It has been a while at this point so I don't remember what we could do before high school......and don't think we did anything, we just played a lot.  Our grandfather was a professional tennis player, and although he didn't run as far as we know, that was likely the genetic link.

So now I have kids of my own and I spend a lot of time around other fast kids.  My son ran a 5:08 mile at 13 years old.......virtually no training, actually NO training.  He is far from alone in his circle of friends.  All of them train a bit differently ...... some only run, some do triathlon, some run a lot, some run relatively little.  The ONE constant is that they all ran fast right out of the box.  They were all "the fastest kid in the class", or the school, when they were in grade school and middle school. 

Yes, you can get faster by training to run.......truly FAST runners are born IMO.  You can teach someone to swim fast easier than you can "teach" them to run fast.

I was one of the fastest kids in class, and ran a 5:15 when I was a wrestler (no running). Why am I so stinkin slow now. :-(

2015-03-30 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Maybe, but it would take at the very least ~60 miles of running a week (maybe more) and losing about 10 lbs.  Even then it's not guaranteed.  The fastest 5k I've ran is 19:01.  I can probably pull off an 18:00 5k, but two consecutively would be a tall order.

2015-03-30 10:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC

Timely topic. I rode yesterday with a good friend who has always been a stronger rider than me. We were doing 2 mile repeats hard. He rides once per week, our Sun morning rides, and may run once or twice. I am at 10-11 hours per week including 3 rides. That dude rode away from me on every interval and finished seemingly a quarter mile ahead on some of them. Now clearly, has has fresher legs than I do. But his natural bike strength is obvious during every ride. I am amazed at the natural difference between us.

Edited by smoom 2015-03-30 10:50 AM
2015-03-30 10:55 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

I agree 100%. Running took years of plugging away to get anywhere. Results were always slow. I started running at 30 and was able to do a mile or two plodding on the treadmill at a 9-10 pace at best. It took me 5 years of consistent training to get to a 19:XX 5k. FIVE YEARS. With no down time. A moderate high school runner can do that on day one with no training, a good high school runner can kill that with no training. Running came to me by bruit force only. And the progression was painfully slow.

My wife on the other hand, hopped back into running a couple of months ago. She's had three kids in the past five years and hits the same paces I do already. She ran cross country in high school and her brother was a Div 1 runner in college....just genetics.
2015-03-30 11:36 AM

User image

Pro

I was one of the fastest kids in class, and ran a 5:15 when I was a wrestler (no running). Why am I so stinkin slow now. :-(

You're not that slow.

2015-03-30 12:18 PM

User image

Yeah in highschool my best 5k was 20min flat. But what blows my mind is how easy it was back then!! I'm 28 now and 2 kids later I could probably do that... killing myself! Hahahaha. And I train so much more now than I did in school and I eat a little better now.

Unfortunately, my genetics make me look more like I could be Ronda Rousye's little sister than an elite triathlete I even started triathlon BECAUSE at my gym one of the managers laughed in my face when I said, "I always wanted to try triathlons" he flat out said, "I'm sorry but you are just not built to be a distance athlete." I was so hell bent on proving him wrong!!! I have, I mean I've done 5 tris now? And omg I love it!! I love it. I love the culture and I love all the people that do it with me! But, I am just amazed at how fast some people are. Be it genetics, or hard work for years... or both! It drives me and inspires me!! But I also feel sad at times, thinking, there's no way I will get there. Like when Yoda is trying to teach Luke the force. GUYS I DON'T BELIEVE!!! lol

Maybe I just won't be able to get there. I am going to keep trying though! Trying to channel my inner Jorgenson! Hahaha. But it's hard not feeling disheartened knowing that I resemble more of a LOTR gnome, without the hot red beard, than I do a tall, agile elf. Hahahaha.... nerd comparison, totally.

Here's my sister from another mother, Ronda lol

http://www.sherdog.com/image_crop.php?image=http://www.origin.sherd...
2015-03-30 12:25 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Getting back to those original numbers from the OP

Run at 6 min/mile for 10k Tuff goal for any AG- usually only people with a running back , not too old, never really stopped running will do this

21 min mile swim is tuff goal for AG- Again usually people with swim background and those that put the time and effort in can do this more achievable then the 6 min/mile for 10 k IMO

20 mph bike- not that hard if your talking flat coarse Oly distance- Many people are doing this; compared to the run and swim marks you state you should have put a bike speed of more like 25mph.
2015-03-30 12:30 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by msteiner

I agree with this.  I don't think I could ever get under a 36:00 10k.

and you never will.

2015-03-30 12:50 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by rizztalah Yeah in highschool my best 5k was 20min flat. But what blows my mind is how easy it was back then!! I'm 28 now and 2 kids later I could probably do that... killing myself! Hahahaha. And I train so much more now than I did in school and I eat a little better now. Unfortunately, my genetics make me look more like I could be Ronda Rousye's little sister than an elite triathlete I even started triathlon BECAUSE at my gym one of the managers laughed in my face when I said, "I always wanted to try triathlons" he flat out said, "I'm sorry but you are just not built to be a distance athlete." I was so hell bent on proving him wrong!!! I have, I mean I've done 5 tris now? And omg I love it!! I love it. I love the culture and I love all the people that do it with me! But, I am just amazed at how fast some people are. Be it genetics, or hard work for years... or both! It drives me and inspires me!! But I also feel sad at times, thinking, there's no way I will get there. Like when Yoda is trying to teach Luke the force. GUYS I DON'T BELIEVE!!! lol Maybe I just won't be able to get there. I am going to keep trying though! Trying to channel my inner Jorgenson! Hahaha. But it's hard not feeling disheartened knowing that I resemble more of a LOTR gnome, without the hot red beard, than I do a tall, agile elf. Hahahaha.... nerd comparison, totally. Here's my sister from another mother, Ronda lol http://www.sherdog.com/image_crop.php?image=http://www.origin.sherd...

HAHAHA!! I get the nerd reference for sure......between my wife and kids I swear we have a Hobbit channel.   That 20 minute 5K you did in high school explains your 8:30 pace now (which is quite a bit faster, compared to the majority of folks who do triathlon, then you think it is)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you run so damn fast!!? Rss Feed  

of 4