2015-03-31 8:14 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Swim Video
Originally posted by happyscientist

Originally posted by yazmaster

Not going to comment on the technique at all, but just wanted to add - 

If anyone thinks that swimming sub 1:20 pace (your pace) is all technique and not so much fitness, I'd like to see them try and hold your turnover rate for that distance. That's a big component of swim fitness (talent helps) for sure!

I am in no way qualified to comment on someone's technique, but I noticed that, too. That is one heck of a turnover rate. That is actually what I have started working on after focusing on form for the last few months. It takes a lot of cardio to do that.

Interesting, as I never thought of it as that fast. But I'm thinking now that if I make improvements to my catch, I will be pushing more water and may slow that down a bit. We'll see as I work on it.

However, I read somewhere (maybe here) to concentrate on getting your arm back in the water as soon as possible when you finish your stroke. So that's what I do which is why I think my turnover increases. That's why it looks like I'm punching the water, which may not be the best anyway.

2015-04-01 9:24 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Swim Video
Originally posted by Nick B

I Found that when my eyes are up like yours I tend to sink in the back. I try to keep my head down. Almost looking at the line directly below my belly button. I am 3 seconds faster when I focus on that.

Thanks Nick B, this helped a lot. Back in my high school days, our coach taught us to hold the water line on our forehead and use that as a pivot point to rotate and breath. So that's how I swam for years. In addition to everyone's comments, I also spent some time looking at videos of elite swimmers and noticed their head being down significantly more in the water. I tried it this morning and immediately noticed the cool morning air on my dariare indicating that I was certainly lifting up quite a bit.

Between that and focusing on my catch, I was able to hold a similar pace to normal with much less effort. I did get some fatigue in different parts of my arms from changing my stroke and I had some trouble getting my breathing down, but those are easy fixes that will come with time.

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll keep working on it and shoot another video in a couple of weeks to see if I cleared up these issues.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Video Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Must See swimming videos!

Started by amiine
Views: 2197 Posts: 22

2007-04-19 1:00 PM horatio92

Swim video website

Started by Micawber
Views: 1041 Posts: 9

2006-12-26 3:04 PM Offthegrid

Amazing swim videos of great racers

Started by Tring at 44
Views: 893 Posts: 5

2006-11-12 9:21 AM max

Swimming Videos

Started by tsprks
Views: 861 Posts: 4

2006-02-21 4:36 PM Micawber

Swim Video - bad post

Started by wyecrab
Views: 810 Posts: 2

2005-04-04 9:25 AM vonholt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.

date : April 23, 2009
Some examples of easy 'loosen' swim strokes that are used for recovery.
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 2
Swim, bike and run video tutorials for the Silver and Gold member training plans.
date : July 23, 2007
See the Musselman, Mini-Mussel, the ITU Race and the Mussel Kids race video feeds, race reports and pictures.

date : June 29, 2006
The following instructions make it easy to record and upload your triathlon and race videos to your albums.
date : June 21, 2006
You won't find me here. You will find the pro's coming out of water.

date : June 21, 2006
This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.