General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first HIM......what nutrition should I take on the bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-30 3:33 PM

Subject: My first HIM......what nutrition should I take on the bike?
So far I've been drinking water and gatorade on my long rides with a cliff bar early on as well. Should I be taking in more calories? I plan to take 2 bottles of water and 1 bottle of Gatorade and refill at the aid stations when/if I need it. Just not sure about what additional nutrition to take? Any suggestions from those of you who have done this?

2015-03-30 7:06 PM
in reply to: Albert L

User image

Subject: RE: My first HIM......what nutrition should I take on the bike?
I did my first HIM last season. I would suggest finding out what will be available on the race course and train with that. I was lucky there were cliff bars and cliff shot/blocks on the course. I drank sports drink on the bike, but had 1 bottle filled with water for the cliff bars. I ate 1 cliff bar after swim then one more just before the halfway point on bike and a third about 10 miles from bike finish. I cant eat while I run so it was water and cliff shots on the run. I also had a pack or 2 of cliff blocks during bike.
2015-03-30 9:43 PM
in reply to: 0

Great info b2b, thanks. I will have to give the Clif blocks a try.

Edited by Albert L 2015-03-30 9:44 PM
2015-03-31 1:48 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
my rule of thumb is eat and drink every 30 - 40 minutes during your bike. You don't need to eat a lot but at least something. For example 1/2 of a Powerbar is what I usually eat, which is about 120 calories. Liquid is approximately a bottle per hour.

Problems creep in when you skip the eating/drinking because you are feeling "good". Resist this temptation and stick with your plan.

the fuel should be something you can eat easily and not cause any issues. You should use these fuels during training and stick with them in your race. Sometimes race provided fuel can be a problem if you haven't trained with it (not a rule but a caution).

For me, I like Hammer Gels. Powerbars, Lara bars, and GU Chomps (GU gels are good too). People successfully use all kinds of things for fuel, but you have to find what works for you. ps. I personally don't like Cliff bars because they are too coarse and choke on them.

I used to use Perpetuem, which seemed to work ok...and some of my friends use Osmo...others bring sweet potatoes.
2015-03-31 6:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple and living off the course.  For a HIM I do liquid only and aim for 250-275 calories per hour and about 500-1000mg of sodium per hour.  My bike times should be in the 2:20-ish range so I'd need a little over 600 cals and 1200mg of sodium at a minimum.  Supplement with water as needed.

Gatorade Endurance is the drink of choice for IM/WTC events now and one bottle is 160 cals, 600mg of sodium, and 42g of carbs.  Drinking four bottles will give me what I need.

For an Ironman I have to put something solid in my belly so I'll eat a PBJ mid-bike.

2015-04-02 7:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I did the same strategy with eating "something" every 30 minutes starting at 30 minutes on the bike. The "something" might be a few pieces of a bar (I like Cliff Mojo Bars, which are brown rice based, not as chewy and sweet as regular Cliff bars), a gu, or even (it's worked in training and considering trying a bit in the race) a few bites of dark chocolate. On the run, I just had one gu at halfway and some orange slices and a few pretzel sticks offered on the course. I like to carry my own stuff as I have trouble getting down a lot of gus if they are too thick or too sweet, and tend to get nauseous off liquid nutrition and even sports drinks if they are too concentrated. Planning to take two bottles of Nuun (electrolyte drink) and water in my aerobottle, which I might need to refill, for washing down gu and chunks of Mojo Bar, and carry a bottle of Nuun on the run, supplement with water on the course as needed.

I think in my first HIM I had a total of 3 gus and maybe 1 1/2 energy bars. It's not much (maybe 500 or 600 calories) even for my size (115 pounds) but I've always been able to do long races and hikes with fairly minimal nutrition; I've never bonked and just feel better that way. It may have to do with training a lot in extreme heat/humidity--that in itself can cut your appetite, plus the large amounts of fluids one has to drink, so I think my body is just used to doing a long workout/race with a bit less than most people. I'm sure I make up for it afterwards!

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-04-02 7:48 AM

2015-04-02 7:53 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Great info everyone, I appreciate the help!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first HIM......what nutrition should I take on the bike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Ironman - Essential kit & Nutrition

Started by fullylit
Views: 4322 Posts: 20

2012-05-13 10:06 PM McFuzz

nutrition help for a first timer

Started by cbrookhart
Views: 2036 Posts: 8

2011-03-28 6:59 PM AbbieR

First round of questions in prep for my first HIM - bike aid

Started by rach_1623
Views: 2552 Posts: 18

2010-03-10 5:20 PM rach_1623

First HIM coming up 5/3, nutrition plan review

Started by fgump
Views: 1128 Posts: 16

2008-04-05 6:21 PM ballyard7

50+ mike bike - need nutrition advice

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1407 Posts: 11

2006-03-15 10:01 AM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 18, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I now find that after sitting for long periods of time during the day for two hours or so my knees are very stiff and weak when I then try to move them. Do I need to take better care of my knees?

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : December 8, 2009
author : Team BT
Top experts in triathlon nutrition answer your common training and race day nutrition questions.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : August 20, 2008
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
date : August 17, 2007
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.