Venice Area Young Professionals
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 26m 34s
Overall Rank = 97/266
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/10
Pre-race routine:

Pretty minimal. Set up the previous night, woke up around 5:30 and had a bagel. Dressed and drove over. Met up with my sister and went over to talk to DD2, who was on the committee. I was surprisingly calm, no pre-race jitters at all. This is something altogether new and I am hopeful that this is something I can count on as I continue racing in the future. I had specific goals for this race, and the primary was to see how far I have progressed in the past few months from a mental standpoint. A second goal was a time under 27 minutes, and given the way the weather was cooperating, I felt this one was possible.
Event warmup:

A few laps around the parking lot just stretching/warming the legs. I am usually lax on this. Glad I did it, as I think it helped me. I will be adding this as a standard henceforth.
Run
  • 26m 34s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 19s  min/km
Comments:

I ran this one well, probably the best 5 K I have done to date. I lost focus at least twice, both of which cost me. I started off with a couple of people in sight, one being a fellow in a long sleeve high-vis shirt who was a bit older than I and the other being Marti from the local running club. Marti has the most efficient gait I have ever seen, and I was determined to use her as my rabbit, especially after the first half mile. I was pushing a bit over usual pace, yet happy to do so as it wasn't killing me.The first focus issue came as we were coming to the turn around and then back onto the dirt parking lot. I kept thinking about the crap that is this part of the road and slowed down a bit. Once I figured out what I was doing, I had lost Marti. It was here that I had to refocus and found that I had passed the other pacer I had picked out earlier. So, it was just me and the few folks around me. I tried to be as steady as possible. I think I picked a pacer that was slower than I wanted, but it was working, so I kept after it. A short while later we were directed to the other side of the road and it was there that I found myself running with a young lady who told me that I was her pacer. This is where I started to lose focus the second time, as we were heading into the park. As the young lady pressed the acclerator a bit, I dropped a bit. And fully lost focus again. I caught myself a bit quicker this time and reprimanded myself a bit. Then put my head down and kept going. I heard the cheering of DD2, (Good Golly is she loud) and felt pretty good about where I was, knowing I had my 27 beat. Then the guy that I was pacing off of earlier, the one I passed at the 2 mile mark, blew past me with a finishing kick that was pretty strong. I pulled up a bit as we finished, kind of kicking myself and kind of feeling good about how the whole thing had gone.
What would you do differently?:

Focus better. Kick hard at the end? All in all, I am quite happy with this one. My training volume has been down since the HM in February, but a bunch of the training has been at a higher tempo lately. Or to put it better, nearly each run has included a higher paced portion. So this race was all about the mental and I see some serious improvements on that front.
Post race
Warm down:

Wander around and wait for others to finish. Talk with a few people while doing so.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No real limiters, I am quite happy. The final reality is that my new time goal is to see another minute drop off the stand alone 5K time, which I think is easily(?) doable.

Event comments:

Free beer and breakfast, with the Sharkey's home made granola bars as well. Oh yeah!

Last updated: 2015-03-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:34 | 05 kms | 05m 19s  min/km
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 10/266
Performance: Good
Course: Start at the parking lot entrance of Sharkey's, and head south on Harbor Dr. roughly 1.5 miles to the turnaround, which is in the park. Cut through the sidewalks and then back out onto the dirt road. Head back towards the beginining, but at the 2.6 mile mark we cut into Maxine Barritt park to loop around the pond.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-03-30 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: VAYP Smoothie King 5K

2015-03-30 4:19 PM
in reply to: #5104809

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: VAYP Smoothie King 5K

PR and free beer.  Does life get any better?  Great job on the race.  I suspect that you will see your time steadily drop through the season. 

2015-03-30 4:23 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by popsracer

PR and free beer.  Does life get any better?  Great job on the race.  I suspect that you will see your time steadily drop through the season. 

Oddly enough, I didn't partake of the beer. And it was Sierra Nevada on tap with multiple selections. What was I thinking????

2015-03-30 4:27 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by cdban66

Oddly enough, I didn't partake of the beer. And it was Sierra Nevada on tap with multiple selections. What was I thinking????

I guess I was kind of the same as I didn't have a celebratory beer until much later in the day.  After the race, I had a craving for orange Fanta.  Sierra Nevada on tap would have been hard to pass up though.

2015-03-30 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations on a great race.  A PR, free beer, family, and a great venue; sounds pretty perfect!

2015-03-30 5:26 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Awesome result - and directly from the work you've put in.  Well earned and well executed!

As for the warmup, the shorter the race, the more helpful it can be.  For a 5k, The Better Half and I will usually jog a mile or so (depending on how we feel, but not usually more than 1.5 miles) and throw in several 10-20 second pickups to race pace.  About the same for a 10k, really.  For a HM, we'll only do a half mile easy, with a couple HM pickups - so less than half the effort.

Some use much longer and more elaborate warmups and others do nothing, of course.  Just what works for us as we get older (not that a young professional would need it!).  YMMV.

Any rate, this was a great race and you should be justifiably proud and satisfied with the outcome - PR!!

Matt

2015-03-30 9:00 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Katy, Texas
Congratulations Chris! Can't wait to hear about you breaking your new goal at the next race!

Quick question, can you set your run watch to altert you if you've dropped below your target pace?
2015-03-31 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Congrats on the PR! Awesome that DD2 was yelling (loudly) for you

The homemade granola bars sound pretty awesome too.

Nice job, can't wait to see how your season goes!

2015-04-01 1:46 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

It's so great to see your hard work paying off, Chris.  You've really been focusing on your run and it shows!  Sounds like a very positive day with good weather, DD2, your wife, and a PR!  Excellent job, and it will be fun seeing what this racing season brings.  Cheers!

2015-04-02 11:22 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Yay for warm-ups!!!!!!

Great job Chris! How exciting to get a PR and have the family out. Keep those focused workouts up and I think we will be seeing a PR trend!

2015-04-02 12:51 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thank you everyone. Onward and upward!

2015-04-02 3:49 PM

User image

Seattle

Excuse me?

2015-04-02 6:07 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Excuse me?

Yeah, I figured that wouldn't compute for you.

2015-04-07 9:27 AM

User image

Denver, CO

WOOOT!!  Way to go, Chris!!  As others have said, I see more PR's in your future.  Keep up the good work!  (And maybe rethink that beer thing.)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » VAYP Smoothie King 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sergeant Preston, Yukon King 6 Mile / 5K Memorial Run

Started by rymac
Views: 1083 Posts: 1

2013-01-04 2:19 PM rymac

Tom King Classic 5k

Started by BoobieDr
Views: 1084 Posts: 1

2011-02-23 10:49 PM BoobieDr

Sergeant Preston, Yukon King 6 Mile / 5K Memorial Run

Started by wyldrunner
Views: 976 Posts: 1

2011-01-01 3:47 PM wyldrunner

Running with the King 5k

Started by CWaldroup
Views: 1044 Posts: 1

2006-06-03 9:27 AM CWaldroup

Woodside King's Mountain 1/2 Marathon

Started by can_80_n
Views: 827 Posts: 1

2005-05-04 8:27 PM can_80_n
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 2
Learn how to make a vanilla meal replacement smoothie that can serve as meal if you are short on time and on-the-go.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.