General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fasted Runs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-31 9:18 AM

User image

DC
Subject: Fasted Runs
Been looking through the forum histories & haven't found any on-point on the pros/cons of long runs (cardio sessions) on empty stomachs. Seems like the "research" has changed since I last looked into the matter several years ago. Wondering what the BT'ers think about running on empty.

Form an article (http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/marathon-long-runs-on-an-empty-stomach-or-fully-fueled/):

You should run your early training segment long runs in a glycogen depleted state:
This will teach your body to boost glycogen stores and increase fat as a fuel source early in the training cycle. However, because the long runs won’t be too long, you don’t run a high risk of bonking and sacrificing a critical 20 or 22 mile long run.

Run your last 3 quality long runs in a glycogen loaded state:
In doing so, you will increase the overall quality of these important long runs, enabling you to finish faster, and recover more quickly. Likewise, you can practice your marathon nutrition strategy to acclimatize your stomach to processing simple sugars and fluids efficiently.
By implementing both glycogen depleted and glycogen loaded long runs, you can improve the critical fuel efficiency element of the marathon while maintaining consistency in your training. Do you have questions about how to incorporate these types of long runs in your training? Just ask one of our coaches and we would be glad to help.

2015-03-31 10:36 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Fasted Runs
I do a lot of training in the EARLY morning hours. The only thing I have prior is a big glass of water and a coffee. If the workout is an hour or less I don't eat anything until after. If it's going to be over an hour I'll pop a gel at 45 minutes and then every 30 minutes thereafter if it's a long one. You still get the majority of the benefits of the fasted workout this way without catabolism of too much muscle. That's what I read anyway.
2015-03-31 11:41 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

this is the kind of stuff that distracts people from properly executing their training programs. Unless you're on the very pointy end and looking for an edge (although I'd argue this is stupid anyway), it is a bad idea to do your long runs in a depleted state.  

If you only have enough glycogen for 2 hours of running, and you start the run fasted, aka glycogen stores not full, you're going to end your run smashed.

Fuel the body, take care of your recovery, and run well.

2015-03-31 11:50 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by dmiller5

this is the kind of stuff that distracts people from properly executing their training programs. Unless you're on the very pointy end and looking for an edge (although I'd argue this is stupid anyway), it is a bad idea to do your long runs in a depleted state.  

If you only have enough glycogen for 2 hours of running, and you start the run fasted, aka glycogen stores not full, you're going to end your run smashed.

Fuel the body, take care of your recovery, and run well.

Agreed. I've tried this on long runs and I don't feel like I really got anything out of it other than feeling miserable

2015-03-31 11:50 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Only morning fasted cardio I ever did was in the bodybuilding days as pre contest fat burning. They were effective at utilizing stores of fat and water as energy in the absence of glycogen stores; however, they were done at a low level intensity and just long enough. If they were taken too hard or too long, muscle stores, amino acid breakdown of existing muscle would be risky...the dreaded catabolic state!

I don't compete in b.b. anymore, but into 2nd year of training for du's and tri's, I could never imagine bothering to train for physical performance development in a depleted state. For what benefit? burn off more fat and water (and possible more) to serious depleted point that it'd affect my recovery and successive training sessions? Count me out
2015-03-31 11:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Porfirio

In doing so, you will increase the overall quality of these important long runs, enabling you to finish faster, and recover more quickly. Likewise, you can practice your marathon nutrition strategy to acclimatize your stomach to processing simple sugars and fluids efficiently.
By implementing both glycogen depleted and glycogen loaded long runs, you can improve the critical fuel efficiency element ...

This implies that by training fasted, one can train the body to better utilize simple sugars and fluids. I have had great success by doing so with ultra sound, consistent diet and prep. Is there some scientific research that supports this? I do agree in the benefit of fat and water utilization during fasted aerobic activity; but even that has been contended over time, but, as I mentioned, it did work for me at the time

Edited by TJHammer 2015-03-31 12:00 PM

2015-03-31 12:25 PM

User image

DC
What about the idea that you burn more fat on empty?

Also, the fact that I can run 2 hours on empty... does that suggest that I should continue doing so? Of course, I fuel immediately thereafter.
2015-03-31 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Porfirio What about the idea that you burn more fat on empty? Also, the fact that I can run 2 hours on empty... does that suggest that I should continue doing so? Of course, I fuel immediately thereafter.

Is there proof you burn more fat on empty?  Pretty sure you burn the same calories whether you ate earlier or not.  

2015-03-31 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Porfirio

What about the idea that you burn more fat on empty?

Also, the fact that I can run 2 hours on empty... does that suggest that I should continue doing so? Of course, I fuel immediately thereafter.

You can absolutely train your body to use more fat than glycogen.
This becomes more important the longer the event and if you are trying to do fast & long events. Pointy end IMers and ultra marathoners, people with GI issues should take a look at this
What you eat is the biggest element here. The "what" is more important than the "when". Low carb high fat is the way to become a fat burner.
There are consequences, or better said considerations in going low carb/high fat.
Never let a lack of fueling compromise a workout.

2015-03-31 2:26 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by Porfirio What about the idea that you burn more fat on empty? Also, the fact that I can run 2 hours on empty... does that suggest that I should continue doing so? Of course, I fuel immediately thereafter.

Is there proof you burn more fat on empty?  Pretty sure you burn the same calories whether you ate earlier or not.  

Yes. Ketosis.
2015-03-31 2:31 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jet Black

Yes. Ketosis.

Fasting for ~12 hours does not put you in Ketosis.

2015-03-31 2:59 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by Jet Black

Yes. Ketosis.

Fasting for ~12 hours does not put you in Ketosis.

Right. You have to be there already, then during a fasted workout you burn more stored fat by being on empty.
2015-03-31 3:41 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by marcag

You can absolutely train your body to use more fat than glycogen.
This becomes more important the longer the event and if you are trying to do fast & long events. Pointy end IMers and ultra marathoners, people with GI issues should take a look at this
What you eat is the biggest element here. The "what" is more important than the "when". Low carb high fat is the way to become a fat burner.
There are consequences, or better said considerations in going low carb/high fat.
Never let a lack of fueling compromise a workout.

There's lots of good stuff here and I've bolded the two points that I think are key when considering fasted training.

There is some much misinformation and pseudoscience out there surrounding the idea of fasted training that it is hard to figure out fact from fiction.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fasted Runs Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What do you consider "fast" running while training?

Started by ratherbeswimming
Views: 2477 Posts: 24

2014-02-25 8:18 AM Bevie

To Run Fast, You Need To Run Fast Pages: 1 2

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 4667 Posts: 41

2013-10-25 10:47 AM Tryrn

Am I running my long runs too fast? Pages: 1 2

Started by Zero2Athlete
Views: 4798 Posts: 48

2013-03-02 9:42 AM slonce5

Long Run paces...how fast is too fast..

Started by skitri
Views: 1680 Posts: 14

2012-02-08 3:24 PM Scout7

the sluggish fast run?

Started by autumn
Views: 520 Posts: 9

2004-10-25 12:26 PM jkbostic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Now that I've alleviated the pain and injury, do you think it would be okay to start running on the street/sidewalk/hills again?

date : February 12, 2007
author : Rich Strauss
Pay attention to details! Little things like body composition, bike fit, powermeter use and swim technique become big on the Varsity Team
date : July 31, 2005
author : smeeko
No matter what technique you use, running still remains a sport that requires “pain and suffering.” Technique-only training will not make you a fast runner if you don’t practice to be one.

date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
comments : 1
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.
date : July 4, 2005
author : KenMierke
Despite what most runners and their coaches believe, technique plays an enormous role in sustained fast running.

date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
comments : 1
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 21 week, 1 race training plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 12 week, 1 race plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.