General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Tools Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-31 10:07 AM

Subject: Training Tools
So I am new to the triathlon world and was wondering how everyone handles their training programs.

What I am looking for is a web based app/site/tool that allows me to create, store and analyze a long-term training program and has the ability to push those training plans to various devices. That way I have a centralized repository to work from and I could push my planed workouts to a garmin-like watch device and/or an indoor bike trainer.

I've read about things like Garmin Connect, Training Peaks, Strava... and its pretty clear that you can analyze data post workout but it is not clear if I can lay out a training plan and then sync up with other devices so that everything is preprogramed prior to beginning my workout.

What I am trying to do is layout a roadmap beforehand and then allow myself to just focus on executing the plan and analyzing my performance, as opposed to having to worry about what I should be doing on a daily basis.

Thanks in advance.

2015-03-31 10:35 AM
in reply to: #5104986

User image

Subject: RE: Training Tools
I use Garmin Connect and it has the ability to create workouts and sync them with your Garmin watch. For example, I currently have my bike on an indoor trainer, and I have a workout set up that specifies a certain RPM range for a certain time. When I start my workout, my watch tells me I need to be in this range for this long, and then displays my current RPM so I can make sure I'm doing well. If I go above or below the range, my watch beeps/vibrates to let me know.

The workouts are ridiculously customizable (at least, I find them so), with variables such as speed, heart rate, or time (among others) being your driving factor. You can create a workout for swimmimg, biking and running and sync them to your watch if you want.

As far as setting up workouts in advance - that ability is, as far as I can tell, lacking in Garmin Connect. You could actually enter an activity a day or a week ahead and it will show up in your "Activities" section, but the downside to that is that Connect doesn't count that as a future workout, but rather as an already completed workout (to my knowledge; I've never tried it).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Tools Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pros & Cons of using your 6 year old as a training tool

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 1930 Posts: 15

2010-06-07 1:25 PM AnnArborBuck

SUP as a tri training tool

Started by paddlesurfer
Views: 564 Posts: 1

2010-05-09 3:08 PM paddlesurfer

MapMyrun.com- Training tool

Started by Newbie5317
Views: 1006 Posts: 18

2008-03-12 7:58 PM gailg

The best training tool.

Started by Comet
Views: 799 Posts: 4

2005-07-27 1:59 PM monkeyboy64

Mountain Bike as training tool

Started by Tell3131
Views: 688 Posts: 3

2004-06-22 1:26 AM macaco
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.