General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Changing the plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-31 6:14 PM

User image

Greenville,
Subject: Changing the plan
I am following the level 3 Matt Fitzgerald HIM plan from the book Essential week by week training guide. I am at week 12, which is a recovery week because the hope is that I would find an Olympic distance tri to do this weekend. Since life is not perfect, my race is actually NEXT weekend, which puts me back on a week where I will be building volume. My fear is that I will be too fatigued to do well next weekend if I don't back off next week. At the same time, I feel like I need this recovery week after the last three weeks of building. The last couple workouts took everything I had to complete and I was still cramping. Would it hurt me more to do two recovery weeks, do a little more this week and recover next week, or is there another option? This is my first Olympic race and first HIM. Thank you!

2015-04-01 12:18 AM
in reply to: ladyluna67

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Changing the plan
Unless you're truly hanging in there by your fingernails, I'd hold off on the recovery week until the week before the race, take it, and then maybe take 4-5 days easy after the race to make sure you're fully recovered before jumping back into full-on HIM training. I'm at a similar place in HIM training, and I know if I didn't take a recovery week, I'd be too fatigued to have an optimal performance in an Oly. With a week of recovery, no problem. But I don't think I need two weeks to get rested enough to race well at that distance.
2015-04-01 1:02 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I struggle with this often as I like to race a lot and am constantly juggling my plan to find some type of compromise.  I'm about halfway through my 20-week HIM plan and had a recovery week planned for next week which fortunately coincided with a vacation.  I ran a marathon this last weekend and didn't really want to take a week of recovery from that and then be on vacation.  I decided to suck it up and try to get a normal training week in knowing that I can relax next week.  So far so good.

If I was in your shoes looking at an Oly I'd plan a mini-taper going in and reverse that on the other side.  Three to four days going in and three to four after. Good luck.

2015-04-03 12:37 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Greenville,
Thank you!!
2015-04-03 12:39 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Greenville,
This is helpful, thank you!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Changing the plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

change units in plan

Started by Flyer12
Views: 679 Posts: 1

2015-03-14 9:31 AM Flyer12

Change of Plans

Started by Fatboy32
Views: 2244 Posts: 15

2015-04-13 8:41 AM dmbfan4life20

Changing "BE Iron Fit " to a 1/2 IM Plan

Started by triguy1043
Views: 1378 Posts: 7

2012-11-04 8:59 AM amd723

Huge change of plans...!

Started by jonnyspow
Views: 1782 Posts: 18

2011-11-25 11:36 AM ATLrunr

Advice on my planned "plan" : A race is an HIM

Started by nuttysami123
Views: 1234 Posts: 6

2011-01-21 3:17 PM nuttysami123
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What are the essential mechanical/maintenance skills that I as someone who rides a bike should learn how to do myself?
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : April 17, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 5
I was humbled last year. My body shut down on me just before two World Championship events. I was originally in top form to medal in both, but my strength was sapped from me.
date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
The journey begins in the brain. The brain, which energizes your attitude, is the most powerful factor in a lifestyle overhaul.