General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with a Disc Cover Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-01 1:15 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Training with a Disc Cover
I recently went through a pretty big wheel upgrade and the only piece of the plan I didn't pull the trigger on was the disc cover for the back wheel. The reason is that I read someone state that you can't train with it. I have a religious-level devotion to the mantra "nothing new on race day." I realize there may be some debate on when that makes sense, but for my own sanity, it's a 100% rule. If I'm going to use a particular helmet in a race, for example, I want to have taken that thing off and put it on 100 times before the race, and that only comes from doing it every day in training. Same goes for everything else. The only exception I've had is a wet suit as I would bake swimming in it every day, however, I will wear it the three weeks prior to a wetsuit legal tri.

That being said, and not wanting to get into the race day debate; can you train with your disc cover on? Is it a mechanical reason, or just a non-traditional triathlon faux pas? If it's the latter, then I'm fine with it. But if it is the prior, I'll probably not go that route.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by 3mar 2015-04-01 1:17 PM

2015-04-01 1:20 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Training with a Disc Cover

you can, but like with all things, you're going to wear it out.

You don't need to train with your race wheels, unless you really want to trash them and buy some new ones.

2015-04-01 1:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
They're pretty sturdy and I believe the instructions say that they shouldn't be constantly installed and removed.

If you have race wheels and are considering a disc cover, hopefully you also have good tires and latex tubes.

ETA - having said that, my cover lives on my race wheels that come out on race day; and maybe a ride the day before to make sure everything is properly adjusted.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2015-04-01 1:23 PM
2015-04-01 1:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 3mar

I recently went through a pretty big wheel upgrade and the only piece of the plan I didn't pull the trigger on was the disc cover for the back wheel. The reason is that I read someone state that you can't train with it. I have a religious-level devotion to the mantra "nothing new on race day." I realize there may be some debate on when that makes sense, but for my own sanity, it's a 100% rule. If I'm going to use a particular helmet in a race, for example, I want to have taken that thing off and put it on 100 times before the race, and that only comes from doing it every day in training. Same goes for everything else. The only exception I've had is a wet suit as I would bake swimming in it every day, however, I will wear it the three weeks prior to a wetsuit legal tri.

That being said, and not wanting to get into the race day debate; can you train with your disc cover on? Is it a mechanical reason, or just a non-traditional triathlon faux pas? If it's the latter, then I'm fine with it. But if it is the prior, I'll probably not go that route.

Thanks in advance.

Absolutely you can train with it. Some will say it's as goofy as say, training with an aero helmet, but of course you can train with it.

My only observation, park tool chain degreaser reacts poorly with the plastic of the wheelbuilder cover.
2015-04-01 1:21 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by gsmacleod

They're pretty sturdy and I believe the instructions say that they shouldn't be constantly installed and removed.

If you have race wheels and are considering a disc cover, hopefully you also have good tires and latex tubes.

Shane

Yup....GP4000's and latex tubes...the good folks of BT led me in the right direction.
2015-04-01 1:22 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by marcag

Thanks in advance.

Absolutely you can train with it. Some will say it's as goofy as say, training with an aero helmet, but of course you can train with it.

My only observation, park tool chain degreaser reacts poorly with the plastic of the wheelbuilder cover.

I train with an aero helmet...not too concerned with what people think. Like I said, I want to have taken that thing off and put it on as many times as possible prior to transition.

2015-04-01 1:26 PM

User image

You can most certainly train with it if you want to.  

2015-04-01 1:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by dmiller5

You don't need to train with your race wheels, unless you really want to trash them and buy some new ones.

That's why I went with cheap Chinese carbon wheels, so I can use them every day and not worry about shelling out $3,000 for new ones if something happens. For me, it's better to be 100% comfortable with the handling and mechanical ins and outs before going into a race. The difference in my ability to ride on those wheels between my first day and now (a couple of hundred miles later) is a 1000 times different. Maybe I'm just new on the bike, but man, I wouldn't feel comfortable making that big of a change on race day.

Edited by 3mar 2015-04-01 1:43 PM
2015-04-01 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

That's why I went with cheap Chinese carbon wheels, so I can use them every day and not worry about shelling out $3,000 for new ones if something happens. For me, it's better to be 100% comfortable with the handling and mechanical ins and outs before going into a race. The difference in my ability to ride on those wheels between my first day and now (a couple of hundred miles later) is a 1000 times different. Maybe I'm just new on the bike, but man, I wouldn't feel comfortable making that big of a change on race day.

Personally, I'd be even more concerned putting a ton of miles on cheap chinese carbon wheels.

So you practice with your race wheels and get comfortable, then save them for race day. Between all the races I run, I only put a few hundred miles on them a year instead of several thousand.  I limit the risk that they get destroyed in a crash or my a pothole.

If you don't mind shelling the money out for the wheels again, train on them. The fact is, the more you ride them, the higher chance they will be damaged. If you have a pair of wheels that you have accepted you may have to pay for a replacement, then its no big deal and you should go ride them; it certainly isn't going to hurt your performance. Same goes for the helmet.

I would prefer to use cheaper, sturdy, training wheels so that I can spend my money on racing, coaching, power toys, helmets, tubes/tires, a bike fit, a nice wetsuit, and the other 10 million things you need for triathlon.

2015-04-01 1:58 PM

The covers are MUCH sturdier than they say they are. Although the wheelbuilder instructions say they aren't for day to day use, I know folks who leave them on pretty much permanently and have had no problems with them all season long.

The real reason that you'll have to remove the wheelcovers, is that it can be very difficult to inflate your tires with the wheel cover on, as the hole in the cover is small. A 'crack pipe' adapter helps with this, but at least for me, it's such a royal pain to even use one of these adapters that it's the main reason I remove my wheel cover.

Wearing my wheel cover out is not even on my list of concerns - it doesn't take any direct hits, ever, and is made of sturdy material.  The tire inflation issue is the real reason I have for removing it. Otherwise, I'd just leave mine on all summer long through race season.

2015-04-01 2:06 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Katy, Texas

Personally, I'd be even more concerned putting a ton of miles on cheap chinese carbon wheels.

So you practice with your race wheels and get comfortable, then save them for race day. Between all the races I run, I only put a few hundred miles on them a year instead of several thousand.  I limit the risk that they get destroyed in a crash or my a pothole.

If you don't mind shelling the money out for the wheels again, train on them. The fact is, the more you ride them, the higher chance they will be damaged. If you have a pair of wheels that you have accepted you may have to pay for a replacement, then its no big deal and you should go ride them; it certainly isn't going to hurt your performance. Same goes for the helmet.

I would prefer to use cheaper, sturdy, training wheels so that I can spend my money on racing, coaching, power toys, helmets, tubes/tires, a bike fit, a nice wetsuit, and the other 10 million things you need for triathlon.

I'm still new enough (and uncomfortable enough) on the bike that it's worth it for me. Maybe after I get a couple of years under my belt it won't take as much for me to get used to, but for now, I'd prefer it that way.

2015-04-01 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I'm still new enough (and uncomfortable enough) on the bike that it's worth it for me. Maybe after I get a couple of years under my belt it won't take as much for me to get used to, but for now, I'd prefer it that way.

I keep my carbon wheels on my bike full time for a few reasons:

1) My PT is laced to my carbon rear

2) They look better than aluminum rims

3) As a roadie virtually every ride turns into a race at some point.

2015-04-01 2:42 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by msteiner

ohh, so you're that guy who can't stop in time because he insists on riding carbon rims. 

2015-04-01 2:50 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Katy, Texas

I didn't add number 2 to my initial reasoning...but yeah, they totally look cooler and anything that gives you a little extra good feeling in the hours and hours of training, go for it.
2015-04-01 3:19 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

ohh, so you're that guy who can't stop in time because he insists on riding carbon rims. 

Psshh!  I do that so I can roll by and let everyone see this sweet wheelset!

2015-04-01 3:21 PM

User image

, North Carolina
I think I would like that little extra kick on race day.

I certainly would want to know everything was 100% and not have to worry about it and put it through it's paces. But, then training without it and putting it on for the race would be like bonus speed.

Same can be said for race wheels.

2015-04-01 4:18 PM

Thanks in advance.

I race and train on my Zipp 101 back wheel b/c I've got the PT laced in there. In the heart of the race season when I'm racing often, I'll leave the disc on for a couple weeks at a time. During that time, I'm training on it, never had any issues.

2015-04-01 8:29 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Yes, because we are triathletes!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with a Disc Cover Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Leaving disc cover on for training...Pros/Cons???

Started by fubar44
Views: 2443 Posts: 20

2013-07-12 12:09 AM spie34

New HED 3 Clincher & Disc Wheel Cover Ordered

Started by bicyclpete
Views: 4358 Posts: 7

2008-05-14 7:54 PM bicyclpete

How to : Custom cut your Disc Wheel COver Pages: 1 2

Started by ranger5oh
Views: 4426 Posts: 36

2008-07-03 3:21 PM ranger5oh

rear disc cover - HELP

Started by 3558
Views: 831 Posts: 8

2007-04-17 7:32 PM Cyclingmaniac

Disc covers for rear wheels

Started by nel34
Views: 1616 Posts: 12

2007-02-08 7:59 AM tritank
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
Fast forward to now after many triathlons and marathons, my back is worse than ever. What helps lumbar back issues? Shots, physical therapy, surgery?

date : December 14, 2011
comments : 0
After surgery for a herniated disc, is running causing a repeat injury?
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : September 9, 2010
Have I bitten more off than I should? What do you recommend for progress?
date : July 13, 2009
author : Ontherun
We review three unique floor pumps: Pedro's Super Prestige, Topeak JoeBlow Ace and the Campbell Hausfeld cordless rechargeable inflator. Also discussed are Presta and Schrader valves.

date : June 22, 2009
I know that annular tears mean there is a risk for a bigger disc blow-out. How do I continue to train and compete without putting myself at risk for worsening of my injury?
date : May 12, 2008
I started having trouble a couple months ago with a tightness and almost numbness in my anterior left leg and top of foot during running. It feels sort of dead.

date : April 14, 2008
A few years ago, I was diagnosed with two lumbar herniated discs (L1-L2). I have started a very slow build towards my first tri. Are there any recommendations or warnings I should heed?