General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon Wetsuit advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-01 1:45 PM

Subject: Triathlon Wetsuit advice
Hi all,
I am new here and new to triathlons. I am planning on doing my first sprint length triathlon this summer, most likely the Nickel City Tri here in Buffalo, NY.

My research has shown that a wetsuit will be very useful but I am stuck between 2 different styles. I am looking at:

Zoot Z Force 1.0 Wetzoot Wetsuit - Full arms and legs - $200 at REI

and

Pearl Izumi SELECT Tri Suit - Sleeveless and short legs - $90 at REI.

Any advice on which would be better short term and long term would be greatly appreciate.

Thank You,
Joe

2015-04-01 11:26 PM
in reply to: jhauser42

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Triathlon Wetsuit advice

the Pearl Izumi is not a Wetsuit, it's a Tri Suit.  i.e.  it's the article of clothing that you would wear UNDER your wetsuit.  then, you remove the wetsuit and cycle and run in the Tri Suit

so, it's not an either/or proposition between those two products.  you need both (although, not necessarily those specific ones).

Of course, for a sprint tri, it's not absolutely necessary to buy either of these items.  You could probably do the whole thing in a regular pair of swim jammers if you wanted to.  

2015-04-02 7:52 AM
in reply to: #5105374

User image

Assuming you want to go with a wetsuit and not a tri suit and are up in the air regarding sleeved or sleeveless, you could always rent a wetsuit for your first event or two. Wetsuitrental.com is a decent site for that; I rented the wetsuit I'll be using for my May tri from them (don't have it yet - it'll arrive roughly two weeks before the race).

The downside to renting is that you are out the money needed to rent the suit, which could have instead been put towards buying one for yourself. Wether this is worth it to you is something only you can answer.
2015-04-02 2:06 PM
in reply to: Toffels

Thank you for the replies.

I did not realize that the Pearl Izumi was a trisuit as opposed to a wetsuit so I definitely see why it is not an either/or proposition.

I will go ahead and buy the Zoot Z Force suit then. The water will be somewhere in the 65-70 degree range in Lake Erie for this so I am thinking the full sleeve is better

The rental option is interesting but considering it is about 1/3rd the price of buying and I have enough in gift cards to REI to just buy it outright I think that is my better option.

Again, thank you for the advice!

Joe
2015-04-03 11:32 AM
in reply to: #5105516

User image

With that amount of gift cards, I agree that buying is the better option. I decided to rent mine because I'm really just getting into tri this year, and I wanted to try a few different suits out before being locked into one (I'm only doing two wetsuit-legal races this year). And besides that, I'm hoping my training will help me lose my gut, so I personally wanted to hold off buying until next year when hopefully my weight, and thus wetsuit size, will be more stable.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon Wetsuit advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wetsuit fit question - quick advice needed!

Started by nils89
Views: 1049 Posts: 3

2014-09-14 9:26 AM nils89

Wetsuit selections - help/advice needed

Started by efria
Views: 654 Posts: 2

2013-03-11 10:25 PM japarker24

Need advice on Orca wetsuit sizing

Started by stuinsnow
Views: 5701 Posts: 4

2011-04-11 1:38 PM morey000

Wetsuit advice

Started by ehughes
Views: 1218 Posts: 5

2010-05-04 1:55 PM drewbialk

Wetsuit advice

Started by newbiedoo
Views: 723 Posts: 4

2005-08-05 9:20 AM newbiedoo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips