General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition on the Bikefor HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-02 12:09 PM

Subject: Nutrition on the Bikefor HIM
Ok a couple of questions before my HIM in couple of weeks. I am more of back of the MOP person, but trying to cut off some time. I will have my aero bottle with water and to have my "mix" in another bottle somewhere so.

* First question - where do you draw the line between having the second bottle down in cage or put behind seat with a third bottle an extra option. Someone stated they like the less weight with just the down bottle, but another stated he likes to have the bottles behind him for that extra bottle just in case he misses aid station "grab" and doesn't have to stop or go so far with so little liquids.

* Second question - where do you carry your Gus, pills, etc..? In a aero case on top tube or everything in the back pockets of jersey?

* Third and last - my plan is to grab the water to fill my aero bottle back up at each station, but would like to grab a banana at third aid station. Do you just grab liquids or how do you grab liquid and an item like a banana without stopping? Or the few seconds to stop and grab/eat is very minimal and better to do? Probably have to stop and pee anyway at an aid station so that would answer that.

2015-04-02 12:20 PM
in reply to: Tripleplay44

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Nutrition on the Bikefor HIM

Nutrition - especially on an HIM (and I imagine anything longer, though I've not run longer races yet) - is a personal thing.  You have to figure out what works for you and practice it in training, so you get to the race with a plan that you know has a shot at working.  Then, if it doesn't for some reason, you're only modifying a bit on the fly and not trying an experiment from scratch during a race (for weather, a missed bottle hand-up, different brands available on-course than expected, whatever).

So, for **ME**, I like to ride a HIM with a between the aerobars bottle and two behind my seat in as aero a setup as possible - all filled with either a Nunn type electrolyte or a Skratch/Poweraid type sugar + electrolyte drink, then take one or more waters on course, as needed.  I don't mind the weight penalty of the extra bottle, as I'm going to typically empty all three and still take at least one water hand-up.  I also take 5 gels (usually Power or GU) in a small gel flask in my tri-suit pocket (at which I am well practiced accessing while in aero).  I try to finish the gel over the course and take at least 2 bottles with some carbs.  Then off to the run, which I'm still figuring out!

But that's just me.  I offer it only as an example, not really as a suggestion (people are ALL over the place, depending on what works for them).

Be VERY careful going through the aid stations.  The other reason I carry my gels and three bottles is to minimize what I have to grab at a station.  The volunteers all mean well, but some are better/worse than others, as are triathletes at riding and grabbing things.  I can get sketchy right quickly, so if you go through a station, be on HIGH alert status is my strong suggestion.

Oh, and learn to pee on the bike.    (I still haven't learned that one, mind you!)

I hope that helps.

Matt

2015-04-02 4:06 PM
in reply to: Tripleplay44

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Nutrition on the Bikefor HIM

Originally posted by Tripleplay44 Ok a couple of questions before my HIM in couple of weeks. I am more of back of the MOP person, but trying to cut off some time. I will have my aero bottle with water and to have my "mix" in another bottle somewhere so. * First question - where do you draw the line between having the second bottle down in cage or put behind seat with a third bottle an extra option. Someone stated they like the less weight with just the down bottle, but another stated he likes to have the bottles behind him for that extra bottle just in case he misses aid station "grab" and doesn't have to stop or go so far with so little liquids.  
I draw the line at potential aero impacts on the down tube and don't like behind the seat mounting.  For my last HIM (and all races I do) I had the setup in the pix with a 28 oz aero bottle on the aerobars.  I recently "upgraded" this to a Torhan's 30.  The frame aero bottle is actually storage for spare tires, tubes, CO2, levers. 

* Second question - where do you carry your Gus, pills, etc..? In a aero case on top tube or everything in the back pockets of jersey?  
 I use the larger Dark Speed Works 483 top tube storage on the bike in the pix. I had two gels and 2 bars pre-opened for nutrition on the ride.  I like to eat something solid during a long ride hence the bars.  I also took a gel before leaving T1 and already had a Nuun dissolved in the bottle.  I use to use the 150 cal e-Gels until the LRS stopped carrying them, lately I'm just using the smaller 90 cal Hammer gels.

* Third and last - my plan is to grab the water to fill my aero bottle back up at each station, but would like to grab a banana at third aid station. Do you just grab liquids or how do you grab liquid and an item like a banana without stopping? Or the few seconds to stop and grab/eat is very minimal and better to do? Probably have to stop and pee anyway at an aid station so that would answer that.

I re-filled the water bottle once at an aid station, I consumed ~56 oz. of water that day which was the warmest day of the Spring last year. Goal was ~18-20oz of water per hour, ride was 2:53.  The water station I used was just after hallway at 33 miles and was the 3rd station.  It was at a top of a hill so the bikes were pretty spread out by then and had no issue pulling up to it.  The water station was setup nice being that it was very long in case there was a crowd of bikes at once.  I made sure no one was right behind me (I'd warn them of my intentions if they were) and pulled up to the last person and told her I was going to stop and grab 2 bottles.  I filled up on the spot.  I knew the course so I planned on stopping at this station.  Make sure you know the layout of the course for the stations. On this course no one was using the 1st station as it was only 10 miles into it, 2nd was around 20 miles and a lot of people were stopping there already.

This course also had public restrooms in a building just outside T2 so I used that.  2nd half of this course was technical and traffic picked up along the way and didn't really have the urge to pee until I got close to transition.  I've gone on the bike before and also have stopped on the course. Whatever works for you go with it.  Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition on the Bikefor HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone used Hot Tamales as part of their nutrition? Other non-traditional nutrition ideas?

Started by Moonrocket
Views: 2816 Posts: 24

2013-08-09 10:20 PM BAMBAM66

Nutrition before, during, and after workouts -- 200 level

Started by Whit
Views: 634 Posts: 3

2004-05-28 10:35 AM KPA

Nutrition/Vitamin supplemants

Started by Lee
Views: 893 Posts: 7

2003-12-12 11:53 AM TripleThreat

Nutrition

Started by Yvette Combel
Views: 952 Posts: 4

2003-11-17 7:56 AM cameronw

Nutrition

Started by ruby25
Views: 933 Posts: 3

2003-09-05 5:05 PM OLDMAN
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 8, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Top experts in triathlon nutrition answer your common training and race day nutrition questions.

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.

date : April 14, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 3
So what is behind the Infinit line of custom nutrition products? We took a trip to the Infinit world headquarters and conducted an in-depth review of the Infinit Nutrition product.
date : August 17, 2007
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : July 30, 2006
Understanding the scientific concept behind a small amount of nutrition before and during your shorter triathlons.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.