General Discussion Race Reports! » Dash Point State Park Trail Run - 10K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dash Point State Park Trail Run - 10K - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Federal Way, Washington
United States
4th Dimension Racing
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 51m 38s
Overall Rank = 9/172
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/45
Event warmup:

Got to the park and picked up my registration. Jogged for about 15 minutes, used the porta then did some strides on the beach. Then listened to the pre-race meeting, another series of strides then lined up!
Run
  • 51m 38s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 10s  min/km
Comments:

I had never run on the trails here at Dash Point. I took a look at the course and the profile and saw the female course record was 52:xx. It seemed like a stretch but my secret goal was to break the record. Trail runs are always hard to gauge in terms of time but it seemed like a fun goal to chase.

A teammate was also racing this. She is much faster than me (a 1:16ish HM runner) So my goal was to just keep the time between her finish and mine as narrow as possible.

The half marathoners took off about 15 minutes before us. Additionally, there were about 200 of us 10K rail runners. Which is a lot for single track! I knew I had to line up near the front if I didn't want to get caught behind.

We took off into the trail and were immediately heading up hill. About a half mile in there were a few stairs, a bridge and then some more stairs. Once you hit the top you ran along a ridge and then headed down another set of stairs. We had a water crossing and then some more stairs up. I was careful to be relatively conservative here so as to not zap my legs before the single track climbs AND so that I didn't slip on the wet stairs. The climb was successful and we slipped into the single track, filing into a single file line.

The course wound through the woods with little room to pass. I felt pretty good about my positioning. I saw a couple runners ahead and very slowly caught up to them. To get around them I really had to get up into the bushes a little as it was mostly single track. I was thinking, I sure hope there isn't any poison oak/ivy in there!

There were some pretty challenging ascents and my legs were burning a little. I tried to moderate a little as there was a lot more race left. Around the halfway point I started catching up with half marathoners. For the most part, a simple "on your left" was all it took and people moved over, sometimes completely into the bushes giving me a straight shot past them. But there were some challenging passes. One woman had headphones on and could not hear me. Finally I just had to fully charge into the bushes to get around her after many, many failed attempts at yelling.

My rhythm was a little broken with the constant acceleration and deceleration of passing the half marathoners but that kind of sums up trail running on single track.

I was closing in on two 10K runners I had in my sights for a while. I took a nice wide berm to get around one but was unable to get by the second. He was a young kid, very young. Maybe 10 years old?

Seeing him gleefully run through the woods brought a smile to my face. I thought to myself how I wished I had started so young. I called to him, "On your left!" and he sped up. Alright, so the kid wants to race...

I kept accelerating up to him, then would move over to his left into the bushes and he would block me! My smile of endearment quickly left my face and I decided this competitive little kid needs to be taken down!!!

I tried, and failed to pass him for about 10 minutes. I am not kidding. The little shit.
Finally I said, "Eff it" and ran thick into the bushes, accelerated HARD and got around him. It was frustrating. I get being competitive but if someone has it in them to pass you, you have got to move. Whether you like it or not.

I had wasted a ton of energy trying to get around the little shit and was exhausted. This was the point where a trail 10K and a road 10K feel very different. For the trail, you start to get a little close to that hour threshold and you can really feel it.

I tried my best to sustain my pace. I just kept pushing.

I saw some more people ahead and used them as motivation to keep accelerating and passing. There were plenty of half marahon runners to pass as well but luckily the trail had opened to a more double track type of format. The running was fairly smooth through this section but I could tell I was starting to struggle more and more and we weren't even to the stairs (which meant a half mile out..)

Finally, finally I saw the stairs. My legs were super wobbly so I had to be a little cautious, especially on the descent. Once I got through all the stairs I gave it all I had and ran through to the finish. I hadn't been wearing a watch but looked up at the clock to see I had gotten in under the 52:xx to take down the previous course record!

Of course there were a few women in front of me so I don't OWN the record, but I pat myself on the back regardless.

This was one of those races where the results (time/place) don't exactly match up with the accomplishment. I gave Dash Point my all and had NOTHING in the tank at the end. I was very, very proud of this race. I ended up finishing about 2.5 minutes behind my much faster teammate proving that I can really start to close that "talent" gap on the trails. I look forward to working hard and narrowing it further.

What would you do differently?:

Train more! Always!
Post race
Warm down:

Went down to the beach and ran a little in the sand. It felt spectacular.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Had been sick, just need to keep training though!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-03-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:51:38 | 10 kms | 05m 10s  min/km
Age Group: 1/45
Overall: 9/172
Performance: Average
Course: The course traverses singletrack running trails. The trails meander under huge maples that tower over an assortment of Western Washington foliage - alder, hemlock, salmonberry, and huckleberry. The running surface is soft and smooth. There are two staircases near the beginning/end of the course which you will do twice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-04-02 12:45 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Dash Point State Park Trail Run - 10K

2015-04-02 1:07 PM
in reply to: #5105646

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Dash Point State Park Trail Run - 10K
Huge congrats!! Another course record breaking effort, amazing! You are killing it! Really cool photo on the trail too.
2015-04-02 1:26 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Wow - what a great race!

Next year, just be sure to get out ahead of the ankle biters. 

Do you think you'll run this one again and try to beat this year's first and second place times (or even your time), or was this a one time experience with this year's focus on trails?

Super race!

Matt

2015-04-02 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Awesome job!!! It is always cool to see how the other half lives. Thanks for taking us along.

Course record BABY!!!!!!

2015-04-02 1:30 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Looks like a beautiful park and great trails!  Stairs in any race = PURE EVIL!  Excellent, excellent job on passing the little kid, breaking the course record, and just being so dang speedy!

2015-04-02 2:09 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great job and congrats on another fine effort.  Love the trail picture.  Looks like you got some serious altitude.

Kind of sucks folks not getting out of your way.  I have a pet peeve about headphones in a race, especially on single track. 

2015-04-03 11:24 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Do you think you'll run this one again and try to beat this year's first and second place times (or even your time), or was this a one time experience with this year's focus on trails?

Hmmm. I don't know. There are so, so many races out there. Maybe? There are plenty of other course records to take down so no real reason to get fixated on this one unless I do the series again next year. 

2015-04-03 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Great race. looks and sounds like all sorts of fun.
2015-04-03 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

The pix and the elevation graph show an absolutely stunning, yet challenging, race. Wow. You are amazing! As for the kid, hopefully he learned from the experience as well.

Congrats, you ROCK!

2015-04-06 12:55 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

I love that your first reaction to the youngster was to savor his effort before you schooled him.  He definitely needs to learn how to treat other racers respectfully, no matter how young he is!  And people running races with headphones--sheesh.  Why would you run a trail race with headphones on?  Isn't part of the appeal of trail racing getting the opportunity to appreciate all the sights and sounds? 

As always, you are amazing!!

I don't know how you always manage to get such beautiful pictures while turning in such awesome results!  Do you go back and walk to that point or something?

2015-04-06 2:41 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

I love that your first reaction to the youngster was to savor his effort before you schooled him.  He definitely needs to learn how to treat other racers respectfully, no matter how young he is!  And people running races with headphones--sheesh.  Why would you run a trail race with headphones on?  Isn't part of the appeal of trail racing getting the opportunity to appreciate all the sights and sounds? 

I don't know how you always manage to get such beautiful pictures while turning in such awesome results!  Do you go back and walk to that point or something?

The photo of the bridge is from the race site. The other one was taken of me during the race. Is that what you mean? 

Yeah, I hate force anyone to do anything but I think headphones are a huge no no in racing, ESPECIALLY on the trails and especially-squared on single track. 

2015-04-06 4:00 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by laffinrock

The photo of the bridge is from the race site. The other one was taken of me during the race. Is that what you mean? 

Yeah, I hate force anyone to do anything but I think headphones are a huge no no in racing, ESPECIALLY on the trails and especially-squared on single track. 

Yeah, I was talking about the bridge picture.  And here I was, thinking that you were doing all these races with a camera!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dash Point State Park Trail Run - 10K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

XTERRA 15k & 5k Trail Run at Monte Sano State Park

Started by mbehr1983
Views: 856 Posts: 1

2013-01-14 9:40 AM mbehr1983

Gunpowder State Park - Sweet Air Trail

Started by clydesdalerunning
Views: 687 Posts: 1

2011-07-10 11:39 AM clydesdalerunning

Muddy Trails 10k trail run

Started by antlimon166
Views: 1518 Posts: 2