Other Resources The Political Joe » ACA and You can keep your health insurance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2015-06-01 1:18 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: ACA and You can keep your health insurance

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by jmcconne

Originally posted by dmiller5 >

and the fruits of your labors are there for you because of your privileged place in society.

Worst answer ever.... I'm fine with ACA, but this type of comment makes me think twice.

So if you were born a black woman in the outskirts of Detroit, you'd be in the same place you are now?

While I am a white male, I was born in the outskirts of Detroit. If that counts for anything. If I had the same parents that instilled the same values including the great importance of education, I'm pretty sure I'd be pretty close. Obviously being white and handsome (not sure if you knew I was good looking) likely provided me some advantages, but I'd be willing to bet working hard from elementary school through grad school and not getting into drugs or other bad habits had more of an affect.

What if you parents were drug addicts that taught you your whole life that working hard gets you no where.  My point is that the situation you were born in to impacts your opportunities. 

People in this country are racist. People in the country are sexist. People in this country discriminate about lots of things. Pretending like a Christian, white, good looking male doesn't have advantages of others is total BS.  Now you can argue that these things can be overcome, fine.  But pretending like they don't exist, because YOU want to believe that your success is due solely to your own hard work, and not some amount of luck or generosity from others is total crap.  Someone, somewhere threw you a bone, or taught you a lesson, or gave you a job etc. etc. etc. that helped you succeed. 

As a white male you are more likely to receive this assistance.

As a more wealthy person you are more likely to receive this assistance.

As a person born in a certain place you are more likely to receive this assistance.

ETA: And if you got really sick when you were homeless, and couldn't afford healthcare, you sure as shootin wouldn't have made it where you are. you would have died.  Healthcare shouldn't be a flippin privilege. it should be a right that every HUMAN BEING has, no matter if they are lucky enough to have a good job with benefits or not,.

Why does being rich make your life worth more? 

All I have to say is Wow.

2015-06-01 1:23 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

and the fruits of your labors are there for you because of your privileged place in society.

Worst answer ever.... I'm fine with ACA, but this type of comment makes me think twice.

So if you were born a black woman in the outskirts of Detroit, you'd be in the same place you are now?

While I am a white male, I was born in the outskirts of Detroit. If that counts for anything. If I had the same parents that instilled the same values including the great importance of education, I'm pretty sure I'd be pretty close. Obviously being white and handsome (not sure if you knew I was good looking) likely provided me some advantages, but I'd be willing to bet working hard from elementary school through grad school and not getting into drugs or other bad habits had more of an affect.

What if you parents were drug addicts that taught you your whole life that working hard gets you no where.  My point is that the situation you were born in to impacts your opportunities. 

People in this country are racist. People in the country are sexist. People in this country discriminate about lots of things. Pretending like a Christian, white, good looking male doesn't have advantages of others is total BS.  Now you can argue that these things can be overcome, fine.  But pretending like they don't exist, because YOU want to believe that your success is due solely to your own hard work, and not some amount of luck or generosity from others is total crap.  Someone, somewhere threw you a bone, or taught you a lesson, or gave you a job etc. etc. etc. that helped you succeed. 

As a person born in a certain place you are more likely to receive this assistance.

ETA: And if you got really sick when you were homeless, and couldn't afford healthcare, you sure as shootin wouldn't have made it where you are. you would have died.  Healthcare shouldn't be a flippin privilege. it should be a right that every HUMAN BEING has, no matter if they are lucky enough to have a good job with benefits or not,.

I'm not in any way against helping others. But to say that what I have is simply because of my place in society is as drastic an over simplification as it is to say that anyone who does not graduate from high school is dumb.

lol, so true.  I dropped out of high school. (did go back and get diploma though)

2015-06-01 1:26 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by tuwood

care to explain? I mean to me the argument that we shouldn't provide universal healthcare is "wow"

2015-06-01 4:00 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

care to explain? I mean to me the argument that we shouldn't provide universal healthcare is "wow"

My wow had nothing to do with the ACA.  I am absolutely stunned that you truly believe that the only way to get ahead in this country is to be born in the right place, be the right race, and to the right income bracket.  I mean seriously, why even try if that's what you believe.  The irony of your whole rant is that you display the exact racism, sexism, and classism that you're deploring by saying that none of these people can succeed due to their race/sex/class unless somebody else gives them a hand up.  /facepalm

Yes, there are challenges that we all face in this life and yes a minority will have obstacles that I do not face, but I also have had a lot of obstacles that most minorities will never face.  We're all different and we all have choices every day that effect the rest of our lives.  If our choices are derived from "I am X so I can't succeed" then guess what, you will fail.

2015-06-01 4:13 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

My wow had nothing to do with the ACA.  I am absolutely stunned that you truly believe that the only way to get ahead in this country is to be born in the right place, be the right race, and to the right income bracket.  I mean seriously, why even try if that's what you believe.  The irony of your whole rant is that you display the exact racism, sexism, and classism that you're deploring by saying that none of these people can succeed due to their race/sex/class unless somebody else gives them a hand up.  /facepalm

Yes, there are challenges that we all face in this life and yes a minority will have obstacles that I do not face, but I also have had a lot of obstacles that most minorities will never face.  We're all different and we all have choices every day that effect the rest of our lives.  If our choices are derived from "I am X so I can't succeed" then guess what, you will fail.

Well you're absolutely stunned because you're reading what you want to read. I didn't say those people can't succeed, and it isn't racism, sexism, or classism to point out that racism, sexism, and classism exist.  I said that most people who succeed, have help along the way.  And that your race, gender, looks, affluence etc. are factors in who will help you. 

example: one of my college roomates got arrested for possession with intent to distribute.  Rich white kid with lawyer parents.  Got off with a night in jail, drug testing, and nothing on his record if he didn't get popped again.  You think this happens to a poor black kid in the projects? no. he goes to jail, is in the system, and now his life has just become a lot more difficult. forever.

You don't think an affluent white male is born into a more advantageous position than an impoverished black male? Or a wealthy black female is born into a more advantageous position than an impoverished white female?

And i'm sure you did have obstacles, was there no one along the way that provided help for you? or a government program you relied on to survive?

Everyone can succeed in america. you're right.  but its a heck of a lot harder for some than others; not due to their ability, or character, or other things. It is due to things they can't control, skin color, gender, where they were born. It shouldn't be this way, and we can change it.

2015-06-01 5:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Well you're absolutely stunned because you're reading what you want to read. I didn't say those people can't succeed, and it isn't racism, sexism, or classism to point out that racism, sexism, and classism exist.  I said that most people who succeed, have help along the way.  And that your race, gender, looks, affluence etc. are factors in who will help you. 

example: one of my college roomates got arrested for possession with intent to distribute.  Rich white kid with lawyer parents.  Got off with a night in jail, drug testing, and nothing on his record if he didn't get popped again.  You think this happens to a poor black kid in the projects? no. he goes to jail, is in the system, and now his life has just become a lot more difficult. forever.

You don't think an affluent white male is born into a more advantageous position than an impoverished black male? Or a wealthy black female is born into a more advantageous position than an impoverished white female?

And i'm sure you did have obstacles, was there no one along the way that provided help for you? or a government program you relied on to survive?

Everyone can succeed in america. you're right.  but its a heck of a lot harder for some than others; not due to their ability, or character, or other things. It is due to things they can't control, skin color, gender, where they were born. It shouldn't be this way, and we can change it.

I don't know brother.......in order for it to be that way we all have to be the same. Life is not that way.  Some people will always rise to the top, and those people will pull their children and their children with them.....either with money, or work ethic, or other learned and passed down behavior/talent/ethics.  No, you can't change that. 

Most of us aren't wealthy like the kid in your example, but we pass down other traits through generations. I raise my kids in the way I was raised, and the way my grandparents raised my parents.  I suspect my children will hold their own kids close and teach them well, no matter what wealth they have to pass on.

I don't know the answer to your scenario, but I know you are genuine in your belief that it can/should happen.  I respect that view and in some ways wish it could be......my life would be a lot easier.  But you're going to have to come up with the way......I don't have a clue how we make society like you would like it to be.  There will always be people who are more suited to success, for a variety of reasons.  That's part of the flavor of life.

I think all people can be treated the same.....and that is the part of your post that I absolutely agree with.....but it doesn't mean a certain percentage won't go sideways and push themselves downward.  Once they do that, really, it's a deeeeep hole to dig out of.  Sometimes it affects generations.  Good luck with that.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-06-01 5:46 PM

2015-06-01 10:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Of course people are born into different situations. And of course people are different and have different aptitudes. We will never all be equal, or have equal stations in life.

The start of this discussion was whether or not people deserve healthcare.  I think that no matter how dumb or smart; rich or poor; black, white, or purple; you deserve healthcare.

Because you are a human being. All human beings deserve to be treated like human beings. Not just the rich ones.

The argument I keep hearing is essentially "I worked HARD for this money, why should I give up some of it so poor people can have healthcare.  Obviously they are poor because they didn't work as hard as I did. They don't deserve healthcare"

That is wonderful that you were able to work hard and get where you are in life. I am proud of you, you should be proud of yourself. tuwood, I've heard your story before; not many people have navigated your path so admirably. However, if you don't acknowledge that not everyone has the same opportunity as you do, you're kidding yourself.  Some of the poorest among us work the hardest. Some of the kindest have the most terrible tragedies happen in their lives.

We as a society get to decide.  What makes a human life valuable.  Is it what they do with their lives? Is it their race or their gender? Or is it the fact that they are a human being that gives them value.

The older generation seems to have decided that what makes a human valuable is the amount of wealth he/she has accumulated. That if you've carved out a house and a big bank account that you've made it and deserve to be treated well.  I'm sure I'll hear that I'm discriminating or generalizing or something by saying that. But lets look at the facts.  The republican party has the older constituency, and the republican party fights tooth and nail against every social welfare program that they can sniff.  They call it "entitlement"

Damn Straight.  Human beings are entitled to being treated decently. Being given the opportunity to live their lives. Healthcare is a massive component of this. 

The Declaration of Independence says "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

It does not say we are endowed with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness, but only if you're rich.

Edited by dmiller5 2015-06-01 10:04 PM
2015-06-02 8:53 AM

User image

What is it about being a doctor that is different than say....a farmer or a carpenter,

We don't demand a farmer to feed us when we are hungry or a carpenter to build a house for us when are cold. Then why do you demand a doctor to heal you when you are sick? I have a right to life and if I don't eat or I don't have shelter I will die. Shouldn't it be my right to take what meat and vegetables I want at the local farmers market and not compensate the farmer? Of course we wouldn't expect a farmer to give his products to me because I am hungry.

What is different about the medical profession that makes them subservient to your "rights"?

2015-06-02 9:38 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I think there is a difference between helping someone out that needs and just giving it to people. I think a big problem in this country is that everyone feels entitled. A "I deserve what you got" mentality. And I am torn on this as well, I would like for everyone to have what they need to have a happy life, but I do think they should have to either work for it or at least try for it. I see to many people in my city that just expects things, and when I say people, I mean the "rich" and the "poor". I get that there are some things that are out of your control, especially with children. In my city, every school aged child gets free lunches if they are in a certain county. I know people that can afford to pay for lunches that are getting free lunches because they can and it saves them money in the long run. Totally not what this program was designed to do.

Anyways, I could rant for awhile, but basically, I am all for the government helping people, but not doing it all for people. (not including the disabled and the likes in this group)

Edited by jford2309 2015-06-02 9:38 AM
2015-06-02 9:44 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Jackemy1

What is it about being a doctor that is different than say....a farmer or a carpenter, We don't demand a farmer to feed us when we are hungry or a carpenter to build a house for us when are cold. Then why do you demand a doctor to heal you when you are sick? I have a right to life and if I don't eat or I don't have shelter I will die. Shouldn't it be my right to take what meat and vegetables I want at the local farmers market and not compensate the farmer? Of course we wouldn't expect a farmer to give his products to me because I am hungry. What is different about the medical profession that makes them subservient to your "rights"?

...the doctor still gets paid.  Does the police officer get to decide not to protect you because he thinks you don't work hard enough? or the soldier?  (I guess ferguson might tell us yes, the police officer decides)

This isn't about the individual providing the services, this is about the system putting the individual in a position to receive care.

2015-06-02 10:04 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by jford2309

I think there is a difference between helping someone out that needs and just giving it to people. I think a big problem in this country is that everyone feels entitled. A "I deserve what you got" mentality. And I am torn on this as well, I would like for everyone to have what they need to have a happy life, but I do think they should have to either work for it or at least try for it. I see to many people in my city that just expects things, and when I say people, I mean the "rich" and the "poor". I get that there are some things that are out of your control, especially with children. In my city, every school aged child gets free lunches if they are in a certain county. I know people that can afford to pay for lunches that are getting free lunches because they can and it saves them money in the long run. Totally not what this program was designed to do.

Anyways, I could rant for awhile, but basically, I am all for the government helping people, but not doing it all for people. (not including the disabled and the likes in this group)

So, I would say that the program does a good thing. Yes, people take advantage of programs like that.  But what is the alternative?  Don't feed the children who need it because of the ones who don't?  Why does that argument only apply to subjects like this?  It seems like a much better argument would be, some people shoot other people with guns, therefore no one is allowed to have guns.  You say that and they try to tar and feather you.

And for healthcare. You're basically saying that poor people deserve to be sick and die.  I'm not exaggerating.  Denying the poor healthcare is essentially sentencing many of them to a slow miserable death.  We do this because some lazy people want to "take advantage" of the system, and it costs us money.

2015-06-02 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

...the doctor still gets paid.  Does the police officer get to decide not to protect you because he thinks you don't work hard enough? or the soldier?  (I guess ferguson might tell us yes, the police officer decides)

This isn't about the individual providing the services, this is about the system putting the individual in a position to receive care.

This is how it would work if we had a single payer system. It would be interesting to see how health care in America would change if we had a system where doctors, surgeons, etc. are paid in a similar fashion to how we pay police officers.
2015-06-03 8:45 AM

User image

What is it about being a doctor that is different than say....a farmer or a carpenter, We don't demand a farmer to feed us when we are hungry or a carpenter to build a house for us when are cold. Then why do you demand a doctor to heal you when you are sick? I have a right to life and if I don't eat or I don't have shelter I will die. Shouldn't it be my right to take what meat and vegetables I want at the local farmers market and not compensate the farmer? Of course we wouldn't expect a farmer to give his products to me because I am hungry. What is different about the medical profession that makes them subservient to your "rights"?

Who pays the doctor if it is not the person receiving the service? With your other occupations they are all example of government employees who are indeed and acknowledge that they are public servants. They understand that they signed up to run towards the chit when it hits the fan. Because a doctor just so happens to invest money and years of time in himself to gain the skill to treat you when you are sick doesn't make that doctor your servant.

Now if you are arguing that doctors should be public servants then what you are arguing for is government healthcare and not universal healthcare...big difference. North Korea has government health care and I am pretty sure it is not universal.

Edited by Jackemy1 2015-06-03 8:47 AM
2015-06-03 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Who pays the doctor if it is not the person receiving the service? With your other occupations they are all example of government employees who are indeed and acknowledge that they are public servants. They understand that they signed up to run towards the chit when it hits the fan. Because a doctor just so happens to invest money and years of time in himself to gain the skill to treat you when you are sick doesn't make that doctor your servant. Now if you are arguing that doctors should be public servants then what you are arguing for is government healthcare and not universal healthcare...big difference. North Korea has government health care and I am pretty sure it is not universal.

the doctor gets paid by the insurance company..........  and the insurance for the poor gets paid through government subsidies. aka the taxpayers

was the way the system currently works not clear? I haven't heard about doctors refusing to treat people.  it is the rich people who are complaining about having their tax money go towards the subsidies.

Edited by dmiller5 2015-06-03 8:53 AM
2015-06-03 9:22 AM

User image

Who pays the doctor if it is not the person receiving the service? With your other occupations they are all example of government employees who are indeed and acknowledge that they are public servants. They understand that they signed up to run towards the chit when it hits the fan. Because a doctor just so happens to invest money and years of time in himself to gain the skill to treat you when you are sick doesn't make that doctor your servant. Now if you are arguing that doctors should be public servants then what you are arguing for is government healthcare and not universal healthcare...big difference. North Korea has government health care and I am pretty sure it is not universal.

the doctor gets paid by the insurance company..........  and the insurance for the poor gets paid through government subsidies. aka the taxpayers

was the way the system currently works not clear? I haven't heard about doctors refusing to treat people.  it is the rich people who are complaining about having their tax money go towards the subsidies.

But if healthcare is a "right" there would be no market for insurance companies to sell policies to have the funds to pay doctors. It is my right to be treated by a doctor for whatever ails me regardless of my economic status....correct? So why would I have to buy an insurance policy to exercise my human right? .

2015-06-03 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
because in first world you do not really have not many rights that do not involve levels of other people. 90% of us we have the right to eat but we still have to go to the store to buy it. You can not just go around randomly killing animals or growing food where ever you want.

Do not forget if people got paid a living wage there would not way less of a need for government help.

2015-06-03 10:26 AM

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134

because in first world you do not really have not many rights that do not involve levels of other people. 90% of us we have the right to eat but we still have to go to the store to buy it. You can not just go around randomly killing animals or growing food where ever you want.

Do not forget if people got paid a living wage there would not way less of a need for government help.

How about in first world, or in any world for that matter, you have no rights that involve the servitude of someone's labor to fulfill.

It is a privilege that I live in a society that has a highly developed food distribution process, serviced by thousands of people who are not doing it to provide me charity but to profit from their labor, so that I can just go to the store and buy something to eat with money I earned at my job which I am a lot better at than hunting. Imagine if I had to go out and kill my own food? I would probably starve.

Edited by Jackemy1 2015-06-03 10:27 AM
2015-06-03 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by chirunner134 because in first world you do not really have not many rights that do not involve levels of other people. 90% of us we have the right to eat but we still have to go to the store to buy it. You can not just go around randomly killing animals or growing food where ever you want. Do not forget if people got paid a living wage there would not way less of a need for government help.
How about in first world, or in any world for that matter, you have no rights that involve the servitude of someone's labor to fulfill. It is a privilege that I live in a society that has a highly developed food distribution process, serviced by thousands of people who are not doing it to provide me charity but to profit from their labor, so that I can just go to the store and buy something to eat with money I earned at my job which I am a lot better at than hunting. Imagine if I had to go out and kill my own food? I would probably starve.

Your argument doesn't make any sense. THE DOCTORS GET PAID.  The question is, who provides the money to pay the doctors. 

Its called Socialism.  When you live in a SOCIETY.  The group has a better change of survival than an individual.  The group puts measures in place to protect those who get into trouble.  Members of the group contribute to SOCIAL PROGRAMS, that take care of the members of the group that are in need.  This requires that the better of members of the society contribute MORE than the worse off members.

Earth to better off members of the society. The reason you have it so good is because of the rest of Society. Without all the other people, who pick your food, and grow it, and ship it, and sell it to you, you wouldn't be able to spend all your time doing your job.  Taking care of these people by providing healthcare, or a living wage, or you know, FOOD is how we make sure the society stay together and can support your rich a$$.

I don't care how hard you think you work. Without the structure of the society you wouldn't have the life you do now.  You have your position on the backs of all the people lower than you.

2015-06-03 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You have your position on the backs of all the people lower than you.

I think this is an example of where your point gets lost and starts to pit people against you. Obviously crack heads who rob people have had no positive impact on my position in life. They are currently parasites to our society. I see two points that can be successfully argued that will lead people to demand everyone chips in for health care for those who cannot currently afford it.

1. They are people who have made poor choices. Many (but not all) were born into bad situations that have increased the possibility of them making these poor choices. Those that were born into it, had bad luck, or have actively made poor choices, deserve a chance to be healthy and a solid opportunity to be happy.

2. It is more cost effective to try to help people proactively, then it is to pay it later. We have laws that most people agree to that say hospitals cannot allow a person to die because they cannot pay. If we provide people with the ability to receive medical care for small issues that cost less, then we will save money from having to pay for emergency life saving procedures.

I think the argument that everyone, for no other reason than they exist, deserves anything that requires others to expend time or resources fails, because (while a small percentage of people) there are people who do not deserve anything due to choices they have and are actively making.
2015-06-03 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by dmiller5 You have your position on the backs of all the people lower than you.
I think this is an example of where your point gets lost and starts to pit people against you. Obviously crack heads who rob people have had no positive impact on my position in life. They are currently parasites to our society. I see two points that can be successfully argued that will lead people to demand everyone chips in for health care for those who cannot currently afford it. 1. They are people who have made poor choices. Many (but not all) were born into bad situations that have increased the possibility of them making these poor choices. Those that were born into it, had bad luck, or have actively made poor choices, deserve a chance to be healthy and a solid opportunity to be happy. 2. It is more cost effective to try to help people proactively, then it is to pay it later. We have laws that most people agree to that say hospitals cannot allow a person to die because they cannot pay. If we provide people with the ability to receive medical care for small issues that cost less, then we will save money from having to pay for emergency life saving procedures. I think the argument that everyone, for no other reason than they exist, deserves anything that requires others to expend time or resources fails, because (while a small percentage of people) there are people who do not deserve anything due to choices they have and are actively making.

In that case you and I have a fundamental disagreement.  People do not deserve to be treated well because of what they do for you.  They do not deserve to be treated well because of the good choices they've made.

Human beings deserve to be treated well because they are human beings. Period.

Teachers deserve healthcare. Lawyers deserve healthcare.  The illegal immigrants who pick your food deserve healthcare.  Crackheads, Thieves and murderers deserve healthcare.

The failure to take care of these people becomes a failure of the society.  The "best" country in the world has the largest incarceration rate, and is one of the only developed nations to not provide healthcare and affordable education for its citizens.

ETA: and you DO have your position on the backs of those below you. This doesn't mean that every single person in the country has directly contributed to your success, but many have.  The illegal immigrant that picks your food makes it cheap, and allows you to pursue other activities, like your job.   The crackheads provide job security for police, and for drug companies, and for therapists. 

Every single person in this country puts some money into the economy, does some service, or necessitates some job/service.  To pretend you are where you are solely based on your own hard work and aptitude, is self righteous, ignorant, and factually incorrect.

Edited by dmiller5 2015-06-03 11:34 AM
2015-06-03 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Your argument doesn't make any sense. THE DOCTORS GET PAID.  The question is, who provides the money to pay the doctors. 

The doctor would only get paid what the government would allow, which does not have be based on much of anything. Certainly not supply and demand. I know of doctors who have stopped taking medicare patients because the cost isn't worth the expended resources and effort.

2015-06-03 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

In that case you and I have a fundamental disagreement.  People do not deserve to be treated well because of what they do for you. 

I believe I have the responsibility to treat and do for others, but I do not believe I have the right to force others to do so. I think this is where our main disagreement lies.
2015-06-03 12:23 PM

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134 because in first world you do not really have not many rights that do not involve levels of other people. 90% of us we have the right to eat but we still have to go to the store to buy it. You can not just go around randomly killing animals or growing food where ever you want. Do not forget if people got paid a living wage there would not way less of a need for government help.
How about in first world, or in any world for that matter, you have no rights that involve the servitude of someone's labor to fulfill. It is a privilege that I live in a society that has a highly developed food distribution process, serviced by thousands of people who are not doing it to provide me charity but to profit from their labor, so that I can just go to the store and buy something to eat with money I earned at my job which I am a lot better at than hunting. Imagine if I had to go out and kill my own food? I would probably starve.

Its called Socialism.  When you live in a SOCIETY.  The group has a better change of survival than an individual.  The group puts measures in place to protect those who get into trouble.  Members of the group contribute to SOCIAL PROGRAMS, that take care of the members of the group that are in need.  This requires that the better of members of the society contribute MORE than the worse off members.

Earth to better off members of the society. The reason you have it so good is because of the rest of Society. Without all the other people, who pick your food, and grow it, and ship it, and sell it to you, you wouldn't be able to spend all your time doing your job.  Taking care of these people by providing healthcare, or a living wage, or you know, FOOD is how we make sure the society stay together and can support your rich a$$.

I don't care how hard you think you work. Without the structure of the society you wouldn't have the life you do now.  You have your position on the backs of all the people lower than you.

See the thing with Socialism, other that being good for everyone except the Socialist, is belief that one person's rights are more important than another's . Your rights are more important than mine. The rich person rights are below that of the poor's, The skilled persons rights are less important than the unskilled. The advantage class must always yield their rights to the disadvantaged. It is a never ending erosion of the individual for the benefit of the people.

The attempt to engineer an equal society in eyes of the Socialist always creates a society that anything but equal. I believe that no one person should have no more or less rights under the law and under whatever natural law we were created under than any other individual and you don't. That it why we will never agree.

Edited by Jackemy1 2015-06-03 12:28 PM
2015-06-04 10:38 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by chirunner134  Do not forget if people chose a job where they would get paid a living wage there would not way less of a need for government help.

Fixed it for you.  The job you take is a choice you make.  

2015-06-04 11:07 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by velocomp

Originally posted by chirunner134  Do not forget if people chose a job where they would get paid a living wage there would not way less of a need for government help.

Fixed it for you.  The job you take is a choice you make.  

Are you saying the job you can get is always a choice? Not really. Many cases you take what you can get.

I took a job once because only one I could get in my field. I had to move cross country for the temp job which only lasted 2.5 months when it was suppose to last a 1 year+. Thanks congress for that. Lucky when the job got funded again I had a job back in Chicago area where I am from. Then I did not have to move back to Maryland just to have employment. The job Also was also not good because I went for a java programming job and found out it was PL/SQL only programming job after I walked into the door but at that time it was too late. If I knew it was a PL/SQL job I would not have bothered to move.

In the 3 months I had between the Maryland temp job and the part time programming job I got I had 3 or 4 interviews that I got with several staffing agencies. Biggest issue I had after I came back was even though I had 3 years experience with Object Orientated programming languages since my last job was PL/SQL developer I was being sent on a PL/SQL programmer interviews. Staffing Agencies told me I could only be sent on those interviews because that was my last job even though that is not my strength or area of expertise and only had 2.5 months of experience.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » ACA and You can keep your health insurance Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Regulation to cancel insurance policies wasn't in the ACA?

Started by tuwood
Views: 2455 Posts: 15

2013-11-26 5:47 PM tuwood

The ACA has revealed ignorance about...

Started by pga_mike
Views: 2372 Posts: 23

2013-10-09 9:17 AM Jackemy1

The ACA started with "Conservatives"?

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1739 Posts: 11

2013-10-04 1:26 PM kevin_trapp

ACA fun begins on Oct 1 (mines beginning already) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tuwood
Views: 9288 Posts: 90

2013-11-10 7:50 AM NXS

ACA Employer Mandate Pushed to 2015

Started by Aarondb4
Views: 1307 Posts: 4

2013-07-08 9:20 AM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : December 17, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 2
The Monday after the race, I go to my health club for my first Pilates class in six years. I look like the fittest person here. Fortunately, I don’t mention to anyone that I’m a triathlete.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 10, 2007
author : mars
comments : 5
The journey of an average Joe entering the triathlon world. I was 35 pounds overweight and out of shape. Enough was enough, and it was time for me to take back my health and my body.

date : September 4, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on leg dragging, swimming with fins, body rotation, keeping the elbow up, kicking benefits and stroke length.